Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

Is this game not considered a early release game? I know beta's they wipe servers before the actual game comes out but by labeling this early release you take that away. You paid for this game a few years ago not even knowing if it would ever be released so taking away peoples hard earned things doesn't seem like the right direction to me. If however they are wiping the servers a heads up would be appreciated so people could stop working on stuff and relax till the release. Or is that the problem you want people to keep testing so you don't want to let the cat out of the bag till 1 week before?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator

That interview doesn't give more info, it just confirms there is no definite decision on a wipe, which we all know because there has been no recent announcement. This just tells us that an announcement might be coming very soon, which we also all know considering the release date is fast approaching.

Not sure why you guys are going into damage control mode, Wiping some servers might be a really good thing, but it would be pointless unless they are clusters in my opinion. Tribes would just move off before the wipe then jump back on after. Wiping a few clusters or really low pop severs to make some fresh clusters would be great for new players. No point in wiping open officials , only clusters.

3 hours ago, AERHAE said:

You dont know that...................the story line has not come in yet.Assension.If progression is related to that story,it needs to be even/reset for everybody in all platforms at launch,im pretty sure this is why Jessy told us at E3 last week they are saving content for launch that nobody has seen.

Personally, I am wondering if Ascension is going to REPLACE the current server transfer mechanic. It could be a great mechanic to prevent server stagnation giving strong players a motivation to voluntarily initiate a wipe on their own progress, and could potentially separate them from the teammates they'd blitz the next server with.

This question is almost as old as what came first, the chicken or the egg? 

Sure, the argument of, if there is a wipe, alphas and megas will take over again. Duh, there will always be better players taking control. But, if there is a wipe, stashes of duped or Ill gotten gains would be gone. 

Wiping may not wipe the knowledge of what to do, the vets will always know and have a leg up, but we paid for that right. Wiping will put everyone to square one with resources. 

Just because one alpha has been a tyrant and maintains there alpha status easily, doesn't mean on a fresh wipe they will be alpha. 

See alot of the power houses now, got to their position and solidified it back when the devs, and I quote, said "we will never allow transfers outside of the cluster maps, we won't do that to you guys", then poof. Transfers happened, people weren't ready.

Some lost their bases prematurely, some went on a rampage. You have tribes that still have stockpiles of resources from unlimited weight runs. People with stuff from dupes. I mean I've seem a +350 dragon on officials....you know, those things you can't breed to get higher levels......!!???

Aside from knowledge. A wipe puts people on an even field. But....a lot of people have dedicated their lives to this beta ea game. I'm talking 3k plus hours. Now I'm not one to judge, even though that's insane...like go outside please, but I respect that they want to keep their stuff.

We as beta testers, with a direct line to the devs with this forum (hahahahahahahahahahaha wasn't ment as a joke), could come up with common ground.

As someone said before me. Why not keep servers as is. Maybe re purpose some dead ones. But make ALL current servers , yes even pve, "legacy servers". Make them their own cluster. Non transferable to outside of the cluster. Then maybe release 200 of each type of server, per map, on release. Sure some old vets would flock to it, but the servers abandoned could be repurposed.

My dream ark. Make clusters of each map, with maybe 5 of each map per cluster. Example. One cluster would be, 5 islands, 5 centers, 5 se, 5 ragnarock. It would allow to have a community for those clusters. A lot of people for alphas to conquer, or help. Maybe 1 map per cluster....or you could make different clusters, some with 1 map per, some with 5, 10...etc etc.

This game is very unforgiving, and don't think if no wipe, and transfers are abled for all, don't think for one second that there won't be a lot of people who's only goal on release will be to go wiping all the new players. That's all a lot of players can do, attack below them and call it a good fight. This game is filled with trolls. I can't imagine the ratings and returns for the finished game if it stays as is.

My friends opinion on why servers should be wiped. "We don't stand a chance at the time to get to alpha tribe so in my opinion we need a wipe." Then I said: "Mhm... Ok, so in 4 months after the wipe and we're the alpha tribe we need a wipe again so more noobs can achieve the top?" and he answered: "Nah we don't need wipe then because we're the alpha tribe". And this is what I believe all you people standing for a wipe thinks. "We want a chance so we want a wipe" But when it is other people that want a chance in the game in 4 months you do not want a wipe. Because you're selfish people.

Lost faith in humanity.

You do realize a server wipe would mean the Alpha tribes would take over and flourish even more. 100 people want wipes, 100,000+ don't which is greater? People's opinions on the forums do NOT represent the Ark population. If you went server to server and asked if they would want a wipe I guarantee that the number for no wipe would be far far greater.

Just now, Meowsaurus said:

My friends opinion on why servers should be wiped. "We don't stand a chance at the time to get to alpha tribe so in my opinion we need a wipe." Then I said: "Mhm... Ok, so in 4 months after the wipe and we're the alpha tribe we need a wipe again so more noobs can achieve the top?" and he answered: "Nah we don't need wipe then because we're the alpha tribe". And this is what I believe all you people standing for a wipe thinks. "We want a chance so we want a wipe" But when it is other people that want a chance in the game in 4 months you do not want a wipe. Because you're selfish people.

Lost faith in humanity.

Your friend sounds like a tool, and a lot of people pro wipe are alphas...just sayin

going from early access (aka alpha/beta) to retail, it makes a lot of sense to release everything clean with server wipes.

I understand not wanting to lose everything you've gained to this point, but outside of personal feelings, it makes logical sense...besides, after having started over probably 5-6 times since xbox release, I am fully aware how much easier building up becomes every single time...starting over isn't near the catastrophe that some portray it as

if they don't wipe them though, I really DO hope they completely separate the retail servers from early access servers and never allow transfers between the two

the BIGGEST thing I hope for regarding server management upon retail though, is the elimination universal transfers across all like-kind servers.  They should all be smaller clusters

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, Paneross said:

Why does it feel the moderators are pro-wipe instead of in support of both sides? 

I actually don't support either personally as I only play on my private server, so regardless of what happens on official I will always be unaffected. I can see good reasons on both sides, but doesn't mean I support one over the other.

2 minutes ago, Paneross said:

Could be, you and I don't 100% know.

what I do know is that both sides have been well represented, and that I don't particularly care for conspiracy theories

...and that the dev team can very easily see when posts have been deleted and can come down on those mods and they'll know the difference....that is, if they even care that much about how many are for/against within this thread

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived