Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

Sounds like the perfect way to slowly kill off your primary player base. Most new money will be from DLC marketed towards established tribes. Making that DLC totally irrelevant to them unsurprisingly makes it a hard sell. If they did what you suggest then go "Ark: Frozen Earth DLC now available, but only on the new servers and no legacy servers" me and the dozens of people I know would persist on these old separated servers wouldn't buy it. On the other hand if it is still accessible and useable I'd buy it day 1 the second I get on, and likely so would almost everyone else in my tribe, my server, and my cross server alliances.

I actually really like this idea.

I really just wish they would answer about the wipe.  Like I honestly  wish they would wipe it would bring more life into the game and not make it super unbalanced.   I have put in a ton of time into this game already and a lot of my tribe members have also, and we all agree a wipe would be for the best.  But with release so soon, and having no answer to if everything will be wiped or not, they are uncertain as to what we should be doing right now other then exploring the new map and having a good time.

There needs to be an official statement concerning release wipe asap. I understand that they delay that announcement, because no matter what the decision, people will be unhappy. But I think the effects on the game population and on newcomers, ratings etc. would be even worse when they announce it closer to the release date.

I got kicked out of a alpha tribe with my m8 a few days ago and lost everything.
Now we keep trying to find a friendly server where we can start again but most alpha tribes don't want new people which makes it very to start playing again.
Yesterday we heart that the game will be released at august 8th and that raised the question if there will be a server wipe?
This would be reasonable for all the new players coming to the game and it would be noob friendly in my opinion. 

Does anyone know if there is gone be one?

I absolutely agree with SidCity, he is obviosly a very smart guy. Just tell us if there will be a wipe on the official servers. In 2016 Jeremy stated:

Here is the final word on the matter: we will not be wiping the Official Servers on ARK’s release (and as mentioned, we will do everything in our power to ever avoid wiping — we all felt the sting from the launch duping bug all too well). We will keep existing active Official Servers as they are post-ship — no wipe — though at ship we may at our discretion re-purpose certain empty or near-empty Official Servers with 1 month prior warning (we’ll provide archives to data of such servers if anyone wishes to re-host). New Servers will be ADDED to help accommodate new players at that time; we can afford it.

Let us know it this still stands.

Jat, Casanova and GP, you are reading this thread and answering all the questions about DLCs and Pre-Order. Why don't you answer the most important question everybody is asking: Will there be a wipe of the official servers? I would prefer to know it now bevor I spend a week to breed a giga.

The New servers (for all Maps) need to have cross transfers switched off to give new players a chance.

If they cant do this then I feel they need to Wipe servers, as harsh as it may be for us all, but setting up new cross transfer servers for new players is no good, all that will happen is established players will transfer over to the new servers and instantly become Alpha.

4 hours ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

me and the dozens of people I know would persist on these old separated servers wouldn't buy it. 

I suspect that you aren't the majority you think you are, but that's only something Wildcard would know and we won't really see what they know until it's happened.  Gut feel says you are going to be in for a surprise.

Ok, since nobody is answering about the wipe-question there ist at least one statement from Kayd Hendricks, the senior technical game play designer of wild card.

Fore weeks ago gave an interview (05/16/2017). You can read the essentials here

Short version: Hendricks is for a total wipe on release, but he states, that is is not his decision alone.

Anyhow, a wipe is definitely on the table. If they had already decided not to do one, they could just answer our question.

This leaves two scenarios:

a) They have not decided yet if they will wipe

b) They have already decided to do an wipe, but they don't want to cloud the big release announcement by telling us, that all our poop will be lost.

In my opinion – but that is just what i think – it is scenarios b. When you think about it, we all have already payed for the game. They don't lose much if we leave. But they really need to get new players. And that will be harder if we already sit on our tek gear and lev 250 gigas.

So my best guess would be: When they had their release hype, they will announce a total wipe for the release date. And than they will hope, that the free DLC softens the blow enough to keep some of us hocked. And I don't blame them. Economically it's the best decision and at the end somebody will be pissed. So why not go for the money. It's what I would do.

Edit: Tried to add the links

Lets beat this mammoth in the room with our ascended clubs for a bit.... alright its not getting up for a while now unless we use some stims.  

They shouldnt wipe the servers that we spent the last 2 years on alot of people are glued to what they have which means alot of people will move on yeah? Now they should be smart and repurpose the low pop servers cause yes, sorry i know you are holding on to your base that you have made there but there is just you and 5 joes running around for what ever reason.  They should also go into each and every server and clear out what cant be cleared out in say PVE pillars that have no purpose but to hog space to allow others at least get a chance to play while going after all the  intential spawn blocking buildings... i mean come on you put that 1 by 1 metal box there to keep people out we know (quietly ignore it though thanks cross server raids) while this use that Money you made to host new servers for new players that you are gonna accumlate upon release ( i doubt it be millions more since alot of the potental buyers have been watching this game grow and know the sheninagains that insued since EA launch) and before anyone goes on and say what about all those tribes that are waiting to take over the new lands in the names of what ever banner you fly under keep the new servers free from transfering in for a month or two allow the new players play a little before you bands of veteran players introduce them to the pain train that is Ark PvP besides what loot can you get when everyone is still building in wood? Other than land grab and i would hope they do the same for my pve brothers and sisters. how fair would it be if someone came in on day 1 and pillared the map while the new joes try to figure out how not to get killed by everything but dodo's. Now you would say what about the dupers and such, show proof of such actions, have Ark devs spend a little time and invesigate claims of duping and such and give those responsible for commiting such offenses the ban hammer or very least bulldoze everything that player or tribe has so what ever they dupped is forever gone.  You cant stop people from trying to find ways to get the upper hand thats just how human we are though, but give them a run for their money have the Devs show that they kinda care atleast.  In the end rememebe they cant please everyone and there will always be someone out there who feels differently for what ever reason.. i assume some name calling and such will follow but what ever im just here for the baby penguin clubbings btw can we get baby seals too nothing beats clubbing baby dinos as a stress reliever..  

14 hours ago, GOFSTING said:

they say no but it needs to happen

Technically they did not say no. If you are talking about over a year ago then yes. Just in the past few months there have been a couple interviews. 

This first I am talking about they said they have the money for new servers and are leaning towards it but there is still a chance of a wipe.

the second they left it open ended and would not comment. Which definitely means there is a possibility. In fact, the one dev said that when it comes to a vote, he will be at the table and he will vote yes on the wipe.

none of what I said is propaganda. All of what I said is true and happened, so yes they still might make new servers but they also still might wipe. There is no proving anybody wrong because it is a fact that it could still go either way.

as far as my opinion goes, and it is my opinion, there will be one

Yer please wipe offical and maybe get serious on cheater last night i watch some cheater glich into a carebear cave download and broken rex.... naturally because carebears have contacts with the devs and the have streamer the wc admin turn up in a heart beat to offer his serves lol what a joke! great competitive game when devs hand out special  treatment but if that wasnt bad enough he then proceeded to just delete the op rex's no bans, no tribe wipes nothing just a warning lol great devs dont punish cheaters and only assist you if you have contact with them! 

Anyway yes a wipe would do wonders for the game but only if the devs get serious on cheaters if not mega tribes will just dupe out a base in a week! 

My hope is that they just label the current servers as legacy servers and don't allow transfers between any new servers they open at launch. Or even just allow transfers to the legacy servers, but not away from.

Id like the chance to play on even ground, I feel like there's a huge gap in ark between the huts on the beach and the mega bases. fresh servers would be very competitive, and sure the mega tribes can build back up in a matter of weeks to dominate, but that's as much a reason to wipe a it is to not wipe. 

Every mega tribe in ark has benefited from glitches or features that have changed or simply don't exist any more, let them continue to sit on their gold thrives if they want, but don't let them use that influence to affect my gameplay experience, I want to play ark when it's released as it was meant to be.

noob friendly yes, veteran players that invested thousands of hours in the game actually playing no, if they do wipe they will lose alot of players and will get alot of negative reviews for sure, they said in a steam disscusion post they will not wipe at release, some have raised the question is it still true because its been more than a year since then, only the devs can respond to that correctly.

PS: from your post it seems ur only searching for an alpha tribe, normal tribes not good enough for you? if u hate the alpha on that server why not challenge them with a different tribe and challenge their alpha status?

6 hours ago, Wedge84 said:

I absolutely agree with SidCity, he is obviosly a very smart guy. Just tell us if there will be a wipe on the official servers. In 2016 Jeremy stated:

Let us know it this still stands.

Jat, Casanova and GP, you are reading this thread and answering all the questions about DLCs and Pre-Order. Why don't you answer the most important question everybody is asking: Will there be a wipe of the official servers? I would prefer to know it now bevor I spend a week to breed a giga.

Yes this is what I want confirmed we were told there would be no wipe and what I'm going off of. Adding servers at release makes sense. By the way I play PvE  the amount of time I and many others have spent on this game is justification enough not to wipe... I've done early release before but never for a year and a half lol (some have done longer) Yes when I started I expected in a couple of months to start over but after a year and a half I really want the new content (don't mind paying for it) but not interested in starting over...

2 hours ago, Lucifina said:

I've done early release before but never for a year and a half lol (some have done longer) Yes when I started I expected in a couple of months to start over but after a year and a half I really want the new content (don't mind paying for it) but not interested in starting over...

I agree. I totally understand the reason for a wipe, BUT we would have invested less time if they had not promised us to keep the servers. If they wipe, they just made us pay to be theire beta testers.

just change the maps into clusters 3 island 3 SE 3 center and make it so you can transfer only between these add new servers if you start on them you start fresh... too easy to solve with this. Sorry to say most that are in favor of a wipe sounds like a bunch of butt hurt PVP players or PVE guys who came late to the party.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived