Singleplayer / Alpha Bosses question

s710

I have a dedicated server (server difficulty is 7), where I am playing solo, and during the last months I was able to beat broodmother easy/medium, ape easy/medium/hard and dragon easy at official settings.

This week I have attempted broodmother hard, but I realized it will not be possible to do solo. I brought my latest generation of rexes (40-50k, 700-800%, ASC saddles) and a yuty for the buff. Still I was slaughtered within no time. This felt a bit weird tho, since the ape was going down rather smoothly (although I lost half of the rexes back then), but the spider queen was barely scratched after everything was dead. I realized dragon would not be any different, and probably it would never be possible to solo those bosses.

And with mostly solo players/2-3 man tribes on my server I decided I set the alpha bosses (brood/ape/dragon) to singleplayer difficulty (via some server settings I found on google. but it only affects damage dealt + damage taken, not boss health) to give players a chance to defeat it. Then I actually was able to do the broodmother without any problems. Few rexes were badly injured, but I did it without losses. This would be the difficulty I imagined, and its okay for me really.

Now I did 3 dragon hard tries, one yesterday (at v261) and two today (at v262), all unsuccessful. Yesterday before the patch I was able to bring it down to like 15-20% health, but in the end I was not able to do it. Today, I was not even able to bring it down to half its health, before it starts to cut through my rexes and burn everything to ashes. In the second try today I even replaced a rex with a daedon (18k life, 54k food) with ASC saddle on autoheal, and it seemed that the rexes survived longer. But then again I also tried to turn the dragon away from the pack of rexes, so they don't get too much fire breath into their faces, so I' not sure if the daedon was that efficient, also it died after some minutes.

When everything was dead again and I was alone on foot, I used the time to check the boss level and health. It said level 1 alpha dragon, with a total of 1,26million health (which I was able to bring down to around 900k).

Now my question is, is this actually the difficulty its supposed to be in singleplayer? If so, how are singleplayers beating it? I am really having a hard time turning the dragon around to avoid the fire breath, it seems impossible, since he seems to have random aggro. Also, of course, its really hard to not take a lot of damage when he crosses the lava, or lifts up and starts to spam fireballs. 

During the fight I will always stay on the yuty (40k life, 730% melee), spamming the buffs and trying to coordinate the rexes. Rexes are switched from passive/follow to aggressive to move them around and let them attack the dragon. Commanding "attack this target" seems to be rather unreliable/difficult to land when mounted, so I work with aggressive stance instead. I also tried with "attack my target", since I'm also hitting it with the yuty, but I feel theres not much of a difference.

Who has beaten the alpha dragon in singleplayer since the last patch? What was your setup, what was your tactics? Any tips? :)

• 1 month later...

I heard that checking the Single Player Settings box affects some values you normally could not, such as boss difficulty. It does alter some stats that you normally could, such as dino affinity for health and melee being slightly higher.

One option would be [/kill] to the boss since these fights are basically tank and spank instead of requiring actual tactics. Are you still able to box in a boss so it does not use its special abilities?

Archived