Encasing a greenhouse

mighty

So as the little dilos keep smashing my greenhouse when a forget to activate it a was thinking maybe rebuilding it then wrapping it in stone.

My question will I still get the greenhouse perk if a build stone walls around the glass.

And one last quick question. Do you guys feed your dinos every time that you log on even if u log daily or do you feed them in longer periods say every 5 or 6 days or so. I do it all the time but I'm spending too many hours doing housework and not taming. 

Thanks for reading and any input.

1 minute ago, mighty said:

So as the little dilos keep smashing my greenhouse when a forget to activate it a was thinking maybe rebuilding it then wrapping it in stone.

My question will I still get the greenhouse perk if a build stone walls around the glass.

And one last quick question. Do you guys feed your dinos every time that you log on even if u log daily or do you feed them in longer periods say every 5 or 6 days or so. I do it all the time but I'm spending too many hours doing housework and not taming. 

When I build a greenhouse, I build it on top of another building. In most cases, I'll start a 3x3 that is 2 walls tall. After that, I'll use ceilings all the way around the top ceiling so the second level/roof is 4x4. I then use 16 walls or stone railings around the outside. Once that is up, I make a 3x3x2 greenhouse on top of that. It won't stop other players from shooting out your windows, but it will stop most wild animals from getting to it...and if there's a concern about players shooting at it, I just run 3 high with the outer walls.

1 minute ago, LouSpowells said:

When I build a greenhouse, I build it on top of another building. In most cases, I'll start a 3x3 that is 2 walls tall. After that, I'll use ceilings all the way around the top ceiling so the second level/roof is 4x4. I then use 16 walls or stone railings around the outside. Once that is up, I make a 3x3x2 greenhouse on top of that. It won't stop other players from shooting out your windows, but it will stop most wild animals from getting to it...and if there's a concern about players shooting at it, I just run 3 high with the outer walls.

A was using dilos instead of swear words to describe the humans that are doing it ? not dinos doing it.

15 minutes ago, mighty said:

Since the greenhouse has been covered, I'll comment on the feeding:

I feed my animals once a week. To be fair, every one of my decoration/egg laying animals has 100% points into food, so they can last over a month if need be. But my utility animals that I don't use every day still last around a week. Animals in use need to be fed as needed, obviously, but just toss them a little food as you go. 

I used to have the mentality that an empty trough means starving dinosaurs and spent half my time gathering food. I'd wager that even if you had a base filled with lvl 1 animals (and therefore the least amount of food stat possible) you could still go 3-4 days before their food dipped below 1/4 full. 

I also find it helpful to watch the way you move around your base, and put troughs in accordingly. I have a massive base with tons of animals, but they are organized in a way to look pleasing and be efficient. All animals that only eat fish go near the fish trough, try and keep the herbivores around a trough to themselves so you can fill it to max with berries and no meat, etc. 

Little things like that can make your feeding rounds MUCH faster, letting you do other things instead. 

I never use greenhouse walls. 20 ceilings will give the full greenhouse effect so metal/stone walls around a 5 by 4 area covered in glass ceilings will work. 

On PvE I don't even bother with the walls. I place a double height pillar in one corner and just build out from that with ceilings. Covering the ceiling with anything or putting things (like pipes) between the ceilings and the plots will reduce the greenhouse effect. 

As other player said you can build the walls in any material it doesnt matter really, but if you are really worried about when you go offline if the top will get smashed and all... what you can do is place a giant hatch frame and door with a pin code over the greenhouse ceiling. So that way when you are online your plants will get the 300% and you can choose to cover it or not. i had so many greenhouse ceilings destructed by argy so i started doing that at some places ;-)

1 hour ago, mighty said:

Our main base us 6 floors high 2 walls high each floor except the bottom it's 4 walls high the green house is on the roof nothing can get to it except the stray argent but the auto turrets make short work of them 

As far as the feeding goes I just throw some meet and berries and a little bit of fish in the feeding trough every night before I log off takes about 15 min with a rex and bronto

5 minutes ago, booned said:

Build a greenhouse ceiling, then above that build hatch frames and you'll get the buff. Like this:

wut.thumb.jpg.e3d69add279365575b1f5049cf9af8d9.jpg

(Epic paint skills)

You could go further and attach trap doors connected to a keypad for further protection.

Wow thats really cool. How have I never thought of that.

I have my greenhouse away from my main base and about 6 or 7 walls high set up on pillars in the canopy of the dense forest. Might build up another floor and add trap doors.

One question, say I have a 4 floor building with plants on the bottom and I build one level of greenhouse ceilings on the 2nd floor and then another on the third floor directly over the lower ones, would the greenhouse effect of those separate levels combine ?

Basically I would like to avoid using greenhouse walls.

Wow thanks for all the replies people I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Hadn't thought about the hatch doors I shall use single player mode as suggested and try your suggestions.

Sèems I was right about thinking I was over feèding with the food think a got paranoid they would die if a wasn't giving them food every time I'm on ?

??????????????

Archived