Patch v262 incoming!

GP

2 hours ago, Housatonic said:

I avoid social media like the plague. Yet I still saw the news, both here on the official forums, on the Steam forums, and on the dev tracker (https://arkdevtracker.com/)
I honestly don't see the point in making it a problem just for the sake of it. Steam will automatically update when it lands, servers will automatically update when it lands, if you wish them to, this is strictly a courtesy to keep players in the loop. There's no notes on it yet, no time on it yet, clearly they're still hard at work, and don't know exactly what will make it in, and when exactly it will be ready. Big flipping whoop. It'll come when it comes. The patch, the notes, the informations, and the ascendants willing, our patience as a playerbase.

The fact that you think I'm making a problem for the sake of it shows that you have missed my point.

My issue is not with this announcement specifically, but with the principle of where updates are announced

This announcement is just the latest is what seems to have become a trend among developers, not just wildcard, to post news and updates about their games on social media rather than on their official websites where common sense would tell you to find it and in some cases I have seen official websites become secondary or even tertiary for updates about their games with updates not posted there until days after they were posted on social media, if at all.

If you want to buy a car and your local car dealer tells you to go to the local pub to find information about the car you want to buy, how would you react to that?

This is no different, and not everyone uses social media, a lot of people dont use them for various reasons, so why should those people be forced to visit those sites just to keep updated on news about their games?

Is it really too much to ask for them to keep their official site, where common sense tells people to find information, updated first rather than to expect people to go look for information in other places, places they for various reasons may not want to go?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

Incorrect. Quite the opposite, really. The term Social Media uses 'Social' directly in regards 'uncommon' interests in a disparate network of individuals. Those 'interests' propagate outside of the closed system of 'common interest' via Social Networking, which could be YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc... via app or web.

For example... I could make a video of gameplay. I could post it on the forum for all forum members to see, providing I host it and link it with some embedded scripts to load a player for streaming so the entire video need not be downloaded to begin watching. You get the idea. That is NOT social media as the compound term is defined. Sure...I am being social. Yes... it is media. but it is not Social Media.

Now... let's say I make a YouTube page. I post the same video. I also subscribe to a bunch of pages over a variety of topics that have nothing to do with ARK or even video games. Google takes those data-points and my video curates to the suggested video page of non-ark players... perhaps even non video game players. Like, say there are thousands of people that play ARK and watch such vids. Say those people also dig woodworking videos and sub to those channels. Suddenly, people that only sub to woodworking get suggestions to ARK videos. ALSO... people that sub to my channel for the ARK video...start getting woodworking recommends or highlights cuz, hey... the Social Networking code says the ARK gamers are all about making fine wood canoes.  Finally, we all get Ron Swanson compilation videos in our Facebook feeds... cuz it is all connected. Finally, Nick Offerman is rocking his own Unofficial Primitive Plus server.

THAT is Social Media. The 'Social' is about how the Media gets around via Networking platforms... and has little to do with the individuals choice to post something. 

Definition of social media

1. :  forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)

Just now, perk8504 said:

Definition of social media

1. :  forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)

That agrees with what I said, but as a overly simplistic sentence.(key: social networking and microblogging) IN practical use... that is to say 'how Social Media' is manifested in practice, industry, and culture... my post stands precise. You would not get a degree in Media Theory\Marketing\SEO or any other number of careers entries with your contention. 

3 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

That agrees with what I said, but as a overly simplistic sentence.(key: social networking and microblogging) IN practical use... that is to say 'how Social Media' is manifested in practice, industry, and culture... my post stands precise. You would not get a degree in Media Theory\Marketing\SEO or any other number of careers entries with your contention. 

it also agrees with what I said...you went more in depth into certain types of social media

i.e. a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not necessarily a square

no interest in those, I'm good with chbe

3 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

it also agrees with what I said...you went more in depth into certain types of social media

i.e. a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not necessarily a square

no interest in those, I'm good with chbe

You wanna talk 'futility'... This forum allows plugins account connection for login from both Steam and Xbox, which are Social Media platforms that are connected to other platforms... so... technically... a forum post HERE would be consider Social Media.

But that's not important right now... ;)

Silly question. If you get on Steam you'll know if it's dropped or not. Do you people have any patience? Like...at all?

Answer: No it has not yet, but come on, you know it will come in the next few days at the least.... Getting on steam and seeing if Ark was updating would have told you faster than making a topic on it O.o

Patience....

48 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Silly question. If you get on Steam you'll know if it's dropped or not. Do you people have any patience? Like...at all?

Answer: No it has not yet, but come on, you know it will come in the next few days at the least.... Getting on steam and seeing if Ark was updating would have told you faster than making a topic on it O.o

Patience....

Thing is, they build up hype with a completely random Twitter announcement, give no details, just "today".  If they aren't READY to deploy a patch, don't say HEY guys, we got an awesome patch coming today, and then deliver nothing. I understand they are under a time crunch, but god damn this hype they trying to do is just bad marketting.  There is a reason why no one believes WC when they post an ETA.

1 minute ago, Majix said:

Thing is, they build up hype with a completely random Twitter announcement, give no details, just "today".  If they aren't READY to deploy a patch, don't say HEY guys, we got an awesome patch coming today, and then deliver nothing. I understand they are under a time crunch, but god damn this hype they trying to do is just bad marketting.  There is a reason why no one believes WC when they post an ETA.

Hence why I said 'next couple of days' rather than today.

Though yes I will agree on the fact that WC sucks at making their proclaimed patches on time, so much so that at this point I'm use to it and I don't waste my breath complainng about it because it's a habit they just have not killed and show no signs of killing. But I still got an hour and 20 minutes till I reach tomorrow (I'm on the east coast). I won't pitch a fit if it's not dropped by midnight. I got other things I can do than wait for a ARK patch that I know has a bad habit of not dropping on time.

Should they just put up surprise patches with no ETA? Yes. Will they? Probably not if they haven't already. I'd get use to it cause they are apparently not getting any better with ETA's. A shame.

4 minutes ago, Majix said:

Pfft. WildCard doesn't believe WildCard when they post ETA's. I think they're firm believers in Murphy's Law at this point. 

The things people will complain about makes me laugh... And cry in disappointment a little. Can we not all accept the fact that the devs have a job to do and unfortunately invited about a million players to watch them do it with early access. They don't have to tell us anything about a new patch  but they do, boo hoo if they don't knock on your door and tell you face to face or on every form of media you follow, wildcard does keep its players very informed compared to so many other games. You are not entitled to know every step in development. The devs know if they make an important announcement on Twitter a moderator on this forum will spread the word here which is exactly what GP did, show some respect people.

19 hours ago, X111 said:

this is for PC only I take it?

PC always gets the updates first. They are also in the 200s. Xbox is in the 700s. PS4 is in the 500s.

Just remember the number range of the system that matters to you so you see if it is a patch you will get eventually (says 2## but you play Xbox) or if it pertains to you (you play PS4 and patch is 5###). I saw they mentioned an update, and had I not kept tabs on when Xbox updates come out I saw it was numbered 262 and automatically knew it was for PC and I should check it out as Xbox will receive it in the future.

31 minutes ago, PaleoJoe said:

PC always gets the updates first. They are also in the 200s. Xbox is in the 700s. PS4 is in the 500s.

Just remember the number range of the system that matters to you so you see if it is a patch you will get eventually (says 2## but you play Xbox) or if it pertains to you (you play PS4 and patch is 5###). I saw they mentioned an update, and had I not kept tabs on when Xbox updates come out I saw it was numbered 262 and automatically knew it was for PC and I should check it out as Xbox will receive it in the future.

I started seeing the pattern on closer inspection ._.

thanks

We're obviously off topic here. What some people are complaining about and some fail to accept as an issue is the fact that Wildcard does not update "their" OFFICIAL website before they jump on twitter. Why even have an "Official" website if you are not going to announce stuff here first? For that matter why even post that an awesome patch is coming today on twitter without any info. Heck, if you are so hard up on updating twitter first, then just say, "New patch in the works, no ETA yet, keep yur eyes on the forums". Easy peasy. And then when they have some semblance of a patch note ready, throow it on the forum with SUBJECT TO CHANGE at the top. Then when you KNOW the patch is ready throw up an ETA. Now will unforeseen circumstances occur, sure, that's life, but at least the issues should be marginalized. If you want to have small updates on twitter do stuff like this, "Patch still being worked. Issues with graphics, memory, bugs, mechanics, whatever" The whole, "They may not have time to update the forum is bullcrap" and you know it. Like someone said earlier, "That's why they have a community manager". Guessing or chasing information, or getting it from a player's post is poor information management for a business. Those that don't see that as an issue and see a problem with losing fellow players that are tired of it are fooling themselves. ALL players are the life blood for any game. So would it be so hard to keep an "Official" website up to date and use "social media" to post small, but informative information? No, it would not. But, of course, what do I know?

Bring it on!

I don't do anything in the game until the release, so let's see the patch :D

As for twitter used by devs first than anything else to communicate stuff.. it's a bit like facebook and instagram.. main goal is to get as many likes as possible.. in this case as many followers as possible. Then they can say "look how many people follow me, admire me, love me!! haha

Children of social media.

• GP locked this topic

Archived