the rise is the fall of Ark

Twiddlenaut

As I see this game I have loved since the beginning grow, I see how it seems to be growing in the wrong direction.  Almost every big update is in favor of players that have been playing and are set up in "alpha" tribes.  The balance of power grows ever more in favor of people who have much more time to dedicate to the game, such are the players usually in the largest tribes, that rarely give new players or players wanting a fresh start a chance.  On top of this pot balance, the more dinosaurs are added the more dangerous it gets for new players.  The spawn rates have been jacked up so high for carnivores in starting areas like south zones, that it is makes the game so incredibly frustrating from the start.  Put that with the abuse of power by larger tribes and this game almost guarantees that people who are wanting to start will soon quit.  Now I know this will get hate, and I'll be called a scrub, or go play pve, but that's just what this game has created for a player base.  The people who are in "alpha" tribes and larger tribes that hold power have gotten this mentality that they run the server and are so toxic that they constantly grief and talk down to new players or anyone that mentions how unfair this balance is, but guaranteed if the shoe was on the other foot would have the same complaints as a new player constantly getting harassed and unable to enjoy this great game.  I have been in alpha tribes, I have seen alpha tribes that work with new players and use their power to regulate the server in a positive way.  It is unfortunate that this is rarely the case though.  My Main point, is that this game has almost entirely become solely for long term players with more time then most people.  I only ask that the spawn rates of predators in the starting zones gets decreased to give these new and old players starting from the beginning a fair chance.  Also, a balance of power, by which I am referring to transfering characters and Dino's to other servers.  This capability has completely out the balance out of wack.  When ragnarok releases, the people that haven't had a chance to be in a big tribe that thrives should be allowed this chance.  But alas, with server transfer, the alpha tribes from other servers will quickly take over these new ragnarok servers giving little chance for any other players to thrive.  So this is what I suggest, is that transfer of Dino's and characters to other servers is removed.  For the sake of this game continuing to thrive, and continue to bring new players.  You can see the surge of players just recently on all official servers with the nearing of ragnarok, this is for the hope that they can rise, for it has been quite a long time that most servers have been all but barren for the lack of balance and people giving up.  This will happen again if transfering and spawns are not dealt with.

People having more time and playing more is just online gaming as a whole, do you complain when that person has a higher prestige (CoD) than you because they can play more?

Literally not much the devs can do to stop big tribes dominating or being alphas as that was part of the selling point.

As I see it the only thing they can do is to have some no transfer servers but yet again an alpha tribe would just take those over and not let people build up.

With the release of more maps and exclusive dinos to those maps removing the transfer option would limit playing the game and stop the server to server wars going on which would then potentially limit the life of the game and the interest.

1 hour ago, UnableToBuildInsideWalls said:

aren't they not allowing transfers to new ragnarok servers until after a few weeks of them opening? seems like this will give fresh players a better chance of establishing.

No that is nothing but rumors, what they are doing is adding isolation servers for Ragnorok. These are no transfer allowed forever. 

@Twiddlenaut if someone has more time, more experience, and more man power than you they deserve to be stronger than you. There is absolutely nothing the devs could do to stop this, it is the way of the game. If you dont have the time to dedicate to an official server, play singleplayer, non dedi, or player dedi with boosted settings. I personally play a PVE player dedi with slightly boosted settings because I know I dont have the time for officials and I dont have time for trolls. Also I hate being in huge tribes. Myself and 2 others at most just chill and work together, no stress. Its a completely different game than officials. 

Honestly they will most likely wipe official servers upon retail release so it will be an even playing feild again but those who spend more time and have more man power will strive right back to the top and if you dont jump on the wagon you will get left behind. Its not unbalanced, its how pvp rpg games like this work. If you cant handle it, you arent playing the right game type and/or game.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:25 AM, cfrostyscriv said:

People having more time and playing more is just online gaming as a whole, do you complain when that person has a higher prestige (CoD) than you because they can play more?

Literally not much the devs can do to stop big tribes dominating or being alphas as that was part of the selling point.

As I see it the only thing they can do is to have some no transfer servers but yet again an alpha tribe would just take those over and not let people build up.

With the release of more maps and exclusive dinos to those maps removing the transfer option would limit playing the game and stop the server to server wars going on which would then potentially limit the life of the game and the interest.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, TedyBearOfDeath said:

No that is nothing but rumors, what they are doing is adding isolation servers for Ragnorok. These are no transfer allowed forever. 

@Twiddlenaut if someone has more time, more experience, and more man power than you they deserve to be stronger than you. There is absolutely nothing the devs could do to stop this, it is the way of the game. If you dont have the time to dedicate to an official server, play singleplayer, non dedi, or player dedi with boosted settings. I personally play a PVE player dedi with slightly boosted settings because I know I dont have the time for officials and I dont have time for trolls. Also I hate being in huge tribes. Myself and 2 others at most just chill and work together, no stress. Its a completely different game than officials. 

Honestly they will most likely wipe official servers upon retail release so it will be an even playing feild again but those who spend more time and have more man power will strive right back to the top and if you dont jump on the wagon you will get left behind. Its not unbalanced, its how pvp rpg games like this work. If you cant handle it, you arent playing the right game type and/or game.

Firstly to cfrost.  All I'm saying, is that with the amount of carnivore spawns in starter areas, and the transfer of dinos and players from one server to another it makes it hard for new players to get a fresh start.  No matter how much time they have.  And if they just got the game, they will most likely never get to experience fulfillment because as soon as they make new servers, alpha tribes bring their dinos and chars over and dominate giving new players no chance what so ever.  Honestly it would be as simple, as making a level cap for pvp, say if you haven't reached level 40 you can't be raided because you literally stand no chance before that point.

Secondly Tedy, and even frost.  I knew I would get hate on this post, but fact is most people agree, except those who have maintained alpha since release. I never said I don't have time, or haven't been on the side of the alpha.  I'm talking about new players, people who are brand new to the game.  I have been playing since the beginning, I have been on both sides of war.  I just feel, that for new players, a alpha tribe should not be able to immediately dominate when new servers are released because of transfers.  Let the people who haven't got the chance to come up have a chance.  And as far as its how pvp rpg games like this work, a rpg game is forgiving for new players, they are not constantly losing their hours of earnings in one single hour, most likely when they are asleep.  I understand that PVP SURVIVAL games work like this, but does that mean that there can't be a better balance?  Bottom line is, new players have no chance, if someone buys this game and says to their friend don't buy it cause the servers are so old with toxicicty you can't even play, will the devs be happy their game stops selling?  A simple level cap for pvp, less dino spawns of carnivores in starter areas, and no transfer servers is not much to ask.  I'm asking for new players because I don't want this game to die, like it did not long ago.  It is only the release of the game from alpha and ragnarok we are seeing a rise in players again, but it will die if things aren't changed.

AGAIN, to be clear.  I'm thinking about the logetivity of the game, and bringing in new players, and the struggles for them.  I'm a seasoned player, that doesn't have to face this difficulty because I have had the chance to play from the start of servers before all this new transfer mess.  Even if I set out as a lone wolf, I can still survive because I have knowledge and know how that new players won't, and to me that is unfair for people looking to purchase the game, instead of saying oh first come first serve, you should have played the game sooner.

4 hours ago, Twiddlenaut said:

Bottom line is, new players have no chance, if someone buys this game and says to their friend don't buy it cause the servers are so old with toxicicty you can't even play, will the devs be happy their game stops selling?  A simple level cap for pvp, less dino spawns of carnivores in starter areas, and no transfer servers is not much to ask.  I'm asking for new players because I don't want this game to die, like it did not long ago.  It is only the release of the game from alpha and ragnarok we are seeing a rise in players again, but it will die if things aren't changed.

A level cap wouldnt work, big tribes would just abuse this feature to make unraidable bases. They all would have level 40 second accounts. Nothing stops a level 40 from placing a premade auto turret or a metal structure. They could build a whole base switch to another tribe, leaving the level 40 by himself, alliance with the unraidable tribe base, and live there or just build a storage building for egg farms or stockpiled resources. 

Other than the probable official server wipe at release to give new players an even playing feild they are sol. Its how games work, first come first serve, and the strongest win. If new players come in too late they have singleplayer, non dedi, player dedis, official isolation server, official extinction servers, any official server really if they can get a bigger tribe to offer them protection or a spot in their tribe. I get what your saying it just isn't possible. If you can think of someway to protect new players then sure but a level limitation for raiding wouldnt work. Your best bet would be a nice alpha offering protection for a week or 2 while a new player builds up. Unless they wipe officials a new player will never get that new game feeling on officials(ecluding extinction) like we did when this game was first released(i was there, it was beautiful), then after that point it will be gone forever. Also at least for the island I see absolutely nothing wrong with the islands south beach spawns, they are plenty easy enough.

This game will never be an even playing field for new players, they lack the experience,knowledge and time in game to compete with those that have been playing for 2 years. Even if they wipe official servers it will not help the new players as they will still get dominated.

Thinking about the longevity of the game would be not to wipe out the hard work and thousands of hours that the player base has put in.

I noticed that too. Alpha raptors are now common sight on south. ARK need almost 0 skill, just invested time but why Wildcard give more to large tribes of nolifers than to even playground a bit, I really don't know. Maybe casual players with life aren't majority in ARK as most of us think. Or ARK developers are egocentrics that don't listen to community. Who knows :)

PS:

Isnt ANY online game an inbalance to new players?

Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Ark, Battlefield, Warframe, Eve Online... pick your game. Anyone who hasnt played daily since day one will start the game "behind" other players. Expecting everyone to be on a level playing field is ridiculous.

So the game officially launches August 8th and everything wipes. What about the people who start in December who get Ark as Christmas present since games sell more during the holidays? Should the servers wipe again so the new influx of players can get a "level" playing field? When does it all end?

29 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Ark, Battlefield, Warframe, Eve Online... pick your game. Anyone who hasnt played daily since day one will start the game "behind" other players. Expecting everyone to be on a level playing field is ridiculous.

So the game officially launches August 8th and everything wipes. What about the people who start in December who get Ark as Christmas present since games sell more during the holidays? Should the servers wipe again so the new influx of players can get a "level" playing field? When does it all end?

No it's not. I can kill enemies in all of those games by skill or luck. How can small casual tribe kill large zerg nolifers tribe in ARK?

11 hours ago, Twiddlenaut said:

AGAIN, to be clear.  I'm thinking about the logetivity of the game, and bringing in new players, and the struggles for them.  I'm a seasoned player, that doesn't have to face this difficulty because I have had the chance to play from the start of servers before all this new transfer mess.  Even if I set out as a lone wolf, I can still survive because I have knowledge and know how that new players won't, and to me that is unfair for people looking to purchase the game, instead of saying oh first come first serve, you should have played the game sooner.

I remember the beginning days, they are not much different now then they were then if anything it is easier now.

First days on ARK, dozens and dozens of deaths by raptors, carnos and dilo's.

Nowadays things are not as bad due to folks building and blocking spawns in the beginning areas.

Just think back to when SE was released, death upon death until some buildings were established, then it got a little easier.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:25 PM, cfrostyscriv said:

41 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

you cannot lock down an entire server with a golden ak47  lmao terrible comparison.

dude you dont fight alphas you troll the poop outta them because they deserve it lol! nothing brings more pleasure to me than some alpha dork talking smack on chat then forgetting to put his lvl 300 rainbow giga on neutral so i punch it to death after shooting him in the face for attacking me haha oh god i wish i took a pic of the chat he was pleading and flipping out like crazy [DONT KILL IT PLEASE PLEASE STOP!] ahahahah glorious! he came back with like a billion friends and obliterated my wooden shack like a champion lol.

Just now, JetJaguar said:

LMAO you didnt comprehend my post so of course it has to be a "terrible comparison".

My post was about people starting a game later then when its first released and "uneven" playing fields..

i think you dont "comprehend"  its was a joke tbh....  comparing ark to COD like.... really?:Jerbmad:  FPS matchs are like 10 to 30 min long ark is like a fulltime job that doesnt pay.

14 hours ago, lvirusl said:

If you don't like the hardcore nature of officials that's what unofficials are for.....

And I presume you can work magic and filter Unofficial servers? By rate, mods, etc? No? Than you have month or two to check those 6k of Unofficial servers? No? And when you find one, it gets turned offline since owner left it. No hard feelings, but dumbest advice you can give to anybody on those forum is "go play on unofficial".

41 minutes ago, seXikanac said:

And I presume you can work magic and filter Unofficial servers? By rate, mods, etc? No? Than you have month or two to check those 6k of Unofficial servers? No? And when you find one, it gets turned offline since owner left it. No hard feelings, but dumbest advice you can give to anybody on those forum is "go play on unofficial".

One of the Ark Servers websites has some of the features you're describing! Don't know how well they work, but yeah, don't use the ingame browser to find unofficials; use one of the websites; then use the filters/your own reductive thinking to work out which ones fit what you are looking for.

It would be SUPER cool if they could fit something like that into the in game server browser.

Archived