Dedicated Server Connection Issues

Hello all!

Recently I started a dedicated server. I have it running locally on my machine in a HyperV virtual machine (server performance isn't currently an issue plus I plan to migrate the VM to a dedicated server machine in the near future). I have forwarded the following ports on the router and through the windows firewall on the server:

UDP 4380,7777-7790,27000-27036

TCP 27015,27020,27030,27036-27037,32330

and ports 80,443

I can see and connect to the server from within the game. I can connect to the server if I create a desktop shortcut with my external IP (EXAMPLE: steam://connect/67.255.XXX.XX:27015/password)

The PROBLEM is I cannot connect through the steam server browser or connect to the server over LAN via its local address (EXAMPLE: steam://connect/192.168.1.14:27015/password) Game returns 'unable to query server info for invite' error. EDIT: I can see the server in the steam server browser under 'LAN' tab. The IP address it has detected the server at 192.168.1.14:7777 but it won't connect.

I'm running a small server for my friends and want it to be easy to join plus connecting to my own servers externally yields a higher ping. Half the people I play with live in my house the other half all live together in another location.

Any insight would be appreciated THANK YOU!

Thanks.  I can see the server in the steam server browser under 'LAN' tab. The IP address it has detected the server at 192.168.1.14:7777 but it won't connect. I tried to add the server under favorites as 65.255.XXX.XX:27015 and 27016 as well as my local IP of 192.168.1.14:27015 and 27016 but i guess since it already detects it at 192.168.1.14:7777 it wont add it.

Do you have more than one network interface on the server?

I have running a server behind a VPN service. The server will not bind correctly to both the VPN's network interface and the ethernet interface. The query shows up on both but only one works, getting the same error message as you on join. I needed to use the parameter to lock it to the VPN interface to reliably get it working. I can't connect to it over LAN.

On 7/8/2017 at 4:46 AM, Thorium said:

Do you have more than one network interface on the server?

I have running a server behind a VPN service. The server will not bind correctly to both the VPN's network interface and the ethernet interface. The query shows up on both but only one works, getting the same error message as you on join. I needed to use the parameter to lock it to the VPN interface to reliably get it working. I can't connect to it over LAN.

I only have one physical network adapter. However, I'm running the server in a hyper-v virtual machine. To get it to connect to the network I have to emulate one. They call it a 'Virtual Network Switch'. You bring up the issue connecting via a VPN. Possibly my problem is similar. 

This is the first time I have setup a virtual machine for anything serious. I still have a lot to learn.

What parameter did you have to use? THX

Archived