Are "Tree" homes viable for end game bases?

TinyMononoke

Firstly to define the term "Tree Homes" I mean any form of base that is settled ON or in-between metal tree-platform(s).

I would like to know if a properly built tree-platform with surrounding Tek structures, Tek Shield, massive amounts of turrets, plant x, layers, and ground defenses would be able to defend against another tribe from a different server attacking with to a maximum of Tek Rex Saddles.

I feel many end game tribes end up being located in either caves where they feel "sheltered" and "safe" or in a specific location that can be defended easily with the right structural composition to protect its weak points.

In my few years of playing Ark I've never heard any positive opinions on end game tree homes, yet I've also never heard or spoke to many people who have tried to raid a "well" defending/built tree home up to date with an end game material structure.

===Bottom Line===

Disregarding the weakness of having your bases foundations equivalent to 100x C4 worth of dmg AND knowing that Tek Rex Saddles deal ~60 dmg to metal structures (Metal TreePlatforms have 100k hp). Would it be considered a waste of time to make such a structure when it has these baseline weaknesses?

I'd appreciate anyones opinions and thoughts.

3 minutes ago, TinyMononoke said:

Firstly to define the term "Tree Homes" I mean any form of base that is settled ON or in-between metal tree-platform(s).

I would like to know if a properly built tree-platform with surrounding Tek structures, Tek Shield, massive amounts of turrets, plant x, layers, and ground defenses would be able to defend against another tribe from a different server attacking with to a maximum of Tek Rex Saddles.

I feel many end game tribes end up being located in either caves where they feel "sheltered" and "safe" or in a specific location that can be defended easily with the right structural composition to protect its weak points.

In my few years of playing Ark I've never heard any positive opinions on end game tree homes, yet I've also never heard or spoke to many people who have tried to raid a "well" defending/built tree home up to date with an end game material structure.

===Bottom Line===

Disregarding the weakness of having your bases foundations equivalent to 100x C4 worth of dmg AND knowing that Tek Rex Saddles deal ~60 dmg to metal structures (Metal TreePlatforms have 100k hp). Would it be considered a waste of time to make such a structure when it has these baseline weaknesses?

No absolutely not viable. If will be down within a day(I say that because they say they find it, it will be down). They were a cool idea but for being a more advanced tribe it is not a good idea 

13 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

Tree house bases are neat... For PVE only, sadly.

Yeah they are nowhere near strong enough. To tell you the truth, if you are going to build a whole base on one platform, that thing needs stop be like 500k health. That is always the easiest raid. I feel bad for people that do that. Make people use 1000 c4s to kill it. I mean really? Lol

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

We all know 1000 c4s is easy to come by since it is common place to dupe everything. Maybe half an hour?

The duping bullpoop will be stopped once and for all. Even WC knows it must end in order for the game to progress. If we're just patient for longer WC should fix the serious issues.

I mean, it's finally worth it to breed again. As far as I know babies dying to starvation bug is no more

• Volunteer Moderator

I've built metal tree platforms they are tanks. Turrets killing people flying through redwoods is a beautiful sight. If you do a double decker tree house they have a ton of room. Use top layer as roof usually I do that one wood and upgrade over time. Catwalks with turrets and species x n turrets ground with Dino pen underneath at base of tree. It's really how u want to set it up. But yes tree houses can be a lot of fun... u can always test in single player designs. Always a great back up base.

37 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

The duping bullpoop will be stopped once and for all. Even WC knows it must end in order for the game to progress. If we're just patient for longer WC should fix the serious issues.

I mean, it's finally worth it to breed again. As far as I know babies dying to starvation bug is no more

LOL if they could stop it with the current setup they would have hotfixed it by now.

2 hours ago, ShawnWolf said:

Except that crashes and lag can still very much ruin breeding as well. There is a lot of stuff that needs to happen. All we can do is hope.

6 hours ago, TinyMononoke said:

===Bottom Line===

From a sheerly mathematical standpoint... no.

Standard bases are essentially large rectangular prisms. You need 360 degrees of coverage on the sides and defenses for the the top. Pyramids are also popular, as top defenses are pretty much covered by side defenses, though at the cost of certain structural limitations. Trees require 360 side defense, top defense, and an additional component of bottom defense which needs arguably more attention than the top defense. Say you've got 600 turrets. A conventional box base would have 480 summed on the sides and 120 around the top. A tree base would have 400 around the sides, 100 on the top, 100 on the bottom. So for the same amount of turrets, a conventional base gets a lot more turret density. Not to mention you more or less need large buildings on the ground to store Rexes/gigas etc anyways, so you'd be better off just working from those.

11 hours ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

Standard bases are essentially large rectangular prisms. You need 360 degrees of coverage on the sides and defenses for the the top. Pyramids are also popular, as top defenses are pretty much covered by side defenses, though at the cost of certain structural limitations. Trees require 360 side defense, top defense, and an additional component of bottom defense which needs arguably more attention than the top defense. Say you've got 600 turrets. A conventional box base would have 480 summed on the sides and 120 around the top. A tree base would have 400 around the sides, 100 on the top, 100 on the bottom. So for the same amount of turrets, a conventional base gets a lot more turret density. Not to mention you more or less need large buildings on the ground to store Rexes/gigas etc anyways, so you'd be better off just working from those.

I think turret towers/perimeters like many large bases have would help with this issue a lot. 

14 minutes ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

Perimeters and towers are additional defenses and don't change the fact that your overall turret density is going to be lower.

Hardly anyone reaches maximum density and if they do the turrets are not full lol But even so the small difference will be hardly noticeable. Players will drain one side and then blow in, you could add tons of towers and other platforms with turrets and I doubt the density difference would be noticeable. 

1 hour ago, Rancor said:

Hardly anyone reaches maximum density and if they do the turrets are not full lol But even so the small difference will be hardly noticeable. Players will drain one side and then blow in, you could add tons of towers and other platforms with turrets and I doubt the density difference would be noticeable. 

You're missing the point. The question isn't "Can you defend them" it is "Are they viable for the end game." They can certainly be defended, but they take more effort/resources to do so for zero extra gain. An end game standard box base in a solid location is considerably superior to an end game Redwood tree base

13 hours ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

I appreciate the numbers, never thought about it that way :) 

Archived