Does anyone actually die to gameplay anymore or just lag/bugs?

onedudesmind

Games require a balancing in content for new and old players. Look WoW, Its very hard to die in the open zones, however if you are not prepared you will die in the dungeons.

ARK is a bit like that, when you are a high level player your main threat is crashing and disconnecting, however in theory the caves are harder.

But what happend to caves? Caves are very poor developed that lead to servers with empty caves because the dinos are bugged and that does not have any difficulty. If the caves where like the tek cave, that spawn the dinos on request, that should be more fun and hard.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Eh. I mean, while better AI would be much appreciated (and I mean much appreciated), there's not much anything can do to players while they're sitting on their level 200+ Rex that's got hundreds of extra bullets for their assault rifle in its inventory. I guess you can argue that it's endgame and progression and blah blah blah, but I've always felt that progression in a survival game is simply becoming better equipped (usually through mechanics or understanding) to handle your surroundings, not being able to mercilessly curbstomp everything. 

It's like giving players guns in a survival horror game. Like, 'thanks. this just became significantly less scary, but thanks, i guess'. 

Something I've been thinking about for a while is how much fun it'd be if the smaller animals could climb up on the larger ones. Could you imagine riding around on a bronto, looking down the sides of it, and seeing microraptors clambering up towards you? In PvP it'd be pretty damn funny to send an army of monkeys after someone on a rex.

My theme song would be "Dumb Way to Die" for I can find a lot of different ways to die without bugs of glitches....picture me as the "I wonder what this button does?" My grave stone would most likely read "Mistakes where made" Flying away from a wyvern I see a small opening and I think I might fit through that....I did not and the wyvern caught me...rip my little bird. Then the time I thought...I am faster than a rock ele it will be fine....I can out run the rock ele but not the boulder it threw at me. My favorite so far is I was riding my equus and have a master craft crossbow and A LOT of fire arrows and I thought I can take out that giga....it did not end well...but I have learned from my 'its most likely a VERY bad idea but why not try it and see' moments.

On 2017-7-6 at 0:03 AM, XKB said:

I cant even count how many times ive dced over the swamp and lost my bird and gear. The new Corpse Finder is nice, but it doesnt help much when your body falls into the green swamp moss death trap with invisible scuba diving titanboas lurking below

So much this.

The last time I died was after landing for stam on a cliff and getting Microraptor stunned off my bird and off the cliff into the swamp below. Bird got killed by a Theriz and I lost all my stuff.

4 hours ago, staar said:

I really like trying to type a message only to have the "e" in a word you type dismount you from your flyer leading to your death. I can't 100% say lag causes the message box delay, but I find that me missing the enter key with its nice clack sound I can audibly hear is the actual cause of my demise.

Rofl I used to hit dismount by accident all the time.

On 7/6/2017 at 5:30 PM, arkark said:

Games require a balancing in content for new and old players. Look WoW, Its very hard to die in the open zones, however if you are not prepared you will die in the dungeons.

ARK is a bit like that, when you are a high level player your main threat is crashing and disconnecting, however in theory the caves are harder.

But what happend to caves? Caves are very poor developed that lead to servers with empty caves because the dinos are bugged and that does not have any difficulty. If the caves where like the tek cave, that spawn the dinos on request, that should be more fun and hard.

Got a good one for you I went into the caves loaded to the gills with weapons and ammo I could have blown up a small country. First cave one spider I was like ok well I will try another second no creatures besides me third two spiders after I walked around and looked for something to kill. So at this point I'm thinking I'm getting pretty cocky I'm gonna start going in every cave and get all relics cause obviously some sort of glitch is happening might as well take advantage. So the fifth cave I enter there is nothing (by this point I have left most my arsenal behind in favor of grabbing all these easy picking resources). Well it turns out I'm pretty sure all cave creatures are jammed in this cave and fortunately all spawned around me lagged the crap out of my game as about 5 titanboas knocked me unconscious as my partner frantically belted out assault rifle rounds while I wasted my time shooting my advanced pistol (bb gun as we like to call it) to mow everything down and we were both overcome by laggy creature pile. So then to retrieve what things we had on us we went back to that spot and unleashed rpg Armageddon which subsequently froze the game and we lost everything. Hahaha Then I found 20 dollars

My deaths from recent creatures are as follows.

Eels 

Eels

Eels shock alpha mosasaur 

punched a giga 

evil cave glitch mega spawn (above post)

dilo (while checking my pizza)

eel shock through raft ramp fell through you know the rest

diplo knock off cliff

quetz set to closets following range into volcano lava

stupid eels

stupid Eels 

eels while on ithy (RIP Nancy the 3rd)

barynox drowning Incident 

stupid eels

god I hate eels 

Anyhow there's a couple of reoccurring themes here. 1 I'm stupid 2. I'm reckless 3. Eels suck

2 hours ago, Mwal said:

My deaths from recent creatures are as follows.

Eels 

Eels

Eels shock alpha mosasaur 

punched a giga 

evil cave glitch mega spawn (above post)

dilo (while checking my pizza)

eel shock through raft ramp fell through you know the rest

diplo knock off cliff

quetz set to closets following range into volcano lava

stupid eels

stupid Eels 

eels while on ithy (RIP Nancy the 3rd)

barynox drowning Incident 

stupid eels

god I hate eels 

Anyhow there's a couple of reoccurring themes here. 1 I'm stupid 2. I'm reckless 3. Eels suck

I know my reply to this isn't on topic but...I have to say this. I've not chuckled in forever on this forum. thank you for reminding me I still have a soul left :Jerblove:

1 hour ago, Ulta said:

I know my reply to this isn't on topic but...I have to say this. I've not chuckled in forever on this forum. thank you for reminding me I still have a soul left :Jerblove:

Thanks! glad I could make you smile. This game can be quite comical.... after the fact looking back. Also off topic but fun fact Nancy and Nancy jr. (both ithys) died also. Nancy was killed .... by Eels ..... on there release date for PS4. I didn't even know what they were I did no research at that time because I was pretty new to the game. Just heard new water Dino came out and I wanted to see it.... and boy did I. Nancy jr was parked close to the beach (to keep him away from the eels) and I went onto the beach to get a red drop and an alpha raptor got it. 

• Volunteer Moderator

I die all the time. I don't wear armor and love running around care free throwing spears fighting ect ect. Its all about how you want to play. I generally could care less if I die its all about the challenge of what im doing at that moment in time.

Tribe members just gave up asking if I need help they just laugh. A lot of them accompany me on my journeys and love it.

I had a treeplatform base in the redwoods. I'd Hover over the platform to land and press E, only to realize I wasn't dismounting. Roll back would happen, and I'd end up on the redwood floor, often getting killed by terror birds or mostly snakes since it was at the edge of the redwood. Happened all the time lol. I had to learn to.. land entirely, wait then dismount to see if I was in a lag moment or not. The ark learning curve teaches you to survive past the bugs and glitches, so I'm not complaining. 

17 hours ago, Mwal said:

Got a good one for you I went into the caves loaded to the gills with weapons and ammo I could have blown up a small country. First cave one spider I was like ok well I will try another second no creatures besides me third two spiders after I walked around and looked for something to kill. So at this point I'm thinking I'm getting pretty cocky I'm gonna start going in every cave and get all relics cause obviously some sort of glitch is happening might as well take advantage. So the fifth cave I enter there is nothing (by this point I have left most my arsenal behind in favor of grabbing all these easy picking resources). Well it turns out I'm pretty sure all cave creatures are jammed in this cave and fortunately all spawned around me lagged the crap out of my game as about 5 titanboas knocked me unconscious as my partner frantically belted out assault rifle rounds while I wasted my time shooting my advanced pistol (bb gun as we like to call it) to mow everything down and we were both overcome by laggy creature pile. So then to retrieve what things we had on us we went back to that spot and unleashed rpg Armageddon which subsequently froze the game and we lost everything. Hahaha Then I found 20 dollars

Yeah, was that cave swamp cave? In our server its the only cave that really seem to work well.

I found two main bugs in the caves that lead to empty caves:

- There are construction near the caves that block the spawns.

- There are spawns but are out of scope in zones where they cannot attack players. This is very easy to check. In our central cave at island you use the orbit cam (K key) and you can see a pile of dinos in the bottom.

I guess to solve that caves should be like blizzard's instances, separated from game and mob spawning on request. Or at least be like the TEK cave, that seem to work fine. You activate the cave and the dinos spawn. Easy.

8 hours ago, arkark said:

Yeah, was that cave swamp cave? In our server its the only cave that really seem to work well.

I found two main bugs in the caves that lead to empty caves:

- There are construction near the caves that block the spawns.

- There are spawns but are out of scope in zones where they cannot attack players. This is very easy to check. In our central cave at island you use the orbit cam (K key) and you can see a pile of dinos in the bottom.

I guess to solve that caves should be like blizzard's instances, separated from game and mob spawning on request. Or at least be like the TEK cave, that seem to work fine. You activate the cave and the dinos spawn. Easy.

That would be great. Every time I look around with the camera in caves I see a whole lot of cave animals outside of the cave. The central cave has dozens of bats flying under the map. Most are far away from the cave itself.

On 7/8/2017 at 4:40 PM, Mwal said:

I recently put up tiny two foundation outposts near each cave and just streak through for artifacts. I tried the Swamp Cave yesterday and while it's rather annoying it is actually possible to do it naked. There are plenty of tricks for the nude runner to employ.

It's also a whole lot of fun. Really gets the heart pounding too.

Once you go nude, you no longer think it's rude. Herm...that's terrible.

Once you go nude, it's no longer lewd. Ugh.

Once you go nude, you'll have an elevated mood. Okay. I give up.

Little help?

13 hours ago, Vrallox said:

That would be great. Every time I look around with the camera in caves I see a whole lot of cave animals outside of the cave. The central cave has dozens of bats flying under the map. Most are far away from the cave itself.

I recently put up tiny two foundation outposts near each cave and just streak through for artifacts. I tried the Swamp Cave yesterday and while it's rather annoying it is actually possible to do it naked. There are plenty of tricks for the nude runner to employ.

It's also a whole lot of fun. Really gets the heart pounding too.

Once you go nude, you no longer think it's rude. Herm...that's terrible.

Once you go nude, it's no longer lewd. Ugh.

Once you go nude, you'll have an elevated mood. Okay. I give up.

Little help?

Once you go nude, bugs will get you dude! :) 

Archived