State of the ARK - Updates

Jatheish

Just now, Ulta said:

I dunno about renting servers for console, but if you are on Xbox at the very least, later they will be implementing a way to use a PC to host a server FOR consoles. It's not exactly what you are asking for but it's something ya?

They indicated that we would have the ability to rent servers for console, and there are several server hosts advertising them as coming this year.  I suppose building a cube would be better than nothing though.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ulta said:

I knew a bunch of tight wads would be posting here. :P

Thanks for this thread though Jat. A lot of players who mingle here in the forums wanted communications like this soooo badly. Glad to see for this instance we got some more details and communications on the forward progress. Hopefully more will happen as we head to release!

Unlike most here, I have patience. I can put ARK down for a month or two until it's at a stable state (though really the unstable-ness people are mentioning is still overblown. I'm not having issues at all with my server >> )

my server crashing every 15-20 mins is not overblown , it is happening, the game is not playable for the people on my server. we were promised a fix and they deployed what they said was a fix. but it didn't fix anything...... and they have not acknowledged it to tell us if it will be fixed or that it's a lost cause and we should start over.  while i'm glad that your server is running fine. you aren't the only person hosting a server , there are many people having the same problem as i am and many more that crash during the server load. yes time may be needed to fix it but i don't think timely communication is to much to ask for.

8 minutes ago, IamTANK said:

my server crashing every 15-20 mins is not overblown , it is happening, the game is not playable for the people on my server. we were promised a fix and they deployed what they said was a fix. but it didn't fix anything...... and they have not acknowledged it to tell us if it will be fixed or that it's a lost cause and we should start over.  while i'm glad that your server is running fine. you aren't the only person hosting a server , there are many people having the same problem as i am and many more that crash during the server load. yes time may be needed to fix it but i don't think timely communication is to much to ask for.

I agree, I mean the game has been in early access how long, and its not like the game is supposed to officially launch in a month or anything.

33 minutes ago, IamTANK said:

Just a simple statement as to whether the memory issue is locked into the save file permanently, or if a subsequent update can fix the issue would be helpful.  My server won't load at all, and knowing now that I need to delete the dedicated file would be beneficial so I can work on breeding a Rex line back to 300.

8 minutes ago, Soldiercide said:

Just a simple statement as to whether the memory issue is locked into the save file permanently, or if a subsequent update can fix the issue would be helpful.  My server won't load at all, and knowing now that I need to delete the dedicated file would be beneficial so I can work on breeding a Rex line back to 300.

i loaded my dedi and then properly exited to create a new save point. this fixed nothing. it still crashes every 15-20 mins

Love the game! I just really really hope you guy's are concerned with the networking issue's that are the major bane to this game (Egg's falling through the world is a minor concern by comparison imo) Ragnarok is nearly unplayable with the amount of crash-back's going on :( I lost 2 MC scuba tanks, MC scuba flippers, MC Scuba mask, and an asc xbow last time i logged into Ragnarok because of a crash-back :( And this entire weekend i've been able to log in only 4 times :( If i log out or get dc'd after i get in, i'm not getting in the rest of the day :( Please please please do something about the lag/dc's/host connection timeout issues :(

Hey jat---  how about instead of acting like ark has never been in a stable state--- remove your previous crap update to the stable version of ark... fix your quality issues... release the map on-time and make your community happy again because as we all see it at  the moment.. your team created a problem from a stable platform with issues that were manageable.  This was an extreme FAIL --- Browse the forums for a min. people are beyond angry and your out of touch with your player base.

Are rex's slower than my player running please change this? I would like some mobility on the rexes it's awful playing solo trying to hunt alphas and death worms on a rex slower than before this update.

At least let me respect the skills my high level rex after you butcher the speed 100% speed is a sloth now why and you reset my speed rex from 147% speed to 119% speed please why?

List of concerns include but are not limited to:

Tusoteuthis capsule size and rider placement (IE Drowning when two feet above water while riding one bug)

Old Primitive (before prim+) servers lacking a TheCenter (STILL) and Ragnarok server for PC

Eels (Really at this point I dont need to go into detail over this one, so just eels will suffice)

8 hours ago, Jat said:

Whew, it's been a while since we've had to post one of these State of the Game posts -- but there's a lot going on at the moment, and it might get a little crazy, so we'll do our best to keep you informed on how things are going to be for the next 2 weeks.

4th of July - Ragnarok update for console has been postponed to the 19th of July and Xbox Received a hotfix today to resolve an engram issue, an out of memory crash related to Dino Meshes (hence origami dinos), and critical spawn fixes to the hibernation system (currently active in Single Player and Non Dedicated servers).

This wasn't a big patch, but a small one aiming to resolve these critical problems which were severely impacting many players able to play the game, primarily those in large tribes on Official Servers. Why the need for this hotfix? We recently increased the visual quality of our creatures, but in turn, this resulted in those creatures now taking up significantly more memory and when you've got a large base, with a lot of dinos you ran out of memory quickly.

We've introduced a measure which will control how the memory is allocated and streamed, therefore resulting in people seeing origami looking creatures in their base. This is because the amount of memory allocated for mesh-streaming has already been used, though as you unload memory through playing, new things will get updated and will progress from origami looking to high-quality. It takes about 2 minutes for something to unload completely.

This won't really affect small bases as much, but it will impact larger looking bases. We had to put this in to prevent players from having an out of memory crash which would shut down the application and return you to the dashboard. Our engineers are working on improving the logic so that the streaming is much smoother and efficient so you'll see less origami-looking creatures, as well as working on an optimisation which will get us to a decent level of detail without costing too much memory (also resulting in less origami). 

When can we expect the next set of updates?

We are currently working on a new major version internally for PC and we'll hopefully be able to release that v. early morning EST on the 5th, or a bit later. It will be similar to the other patches and contain a number of bug fixes, QOL changes, and some gameplay related changes. Once we get that out on PC, we'll be doing a port over to Xbox and we're aiming for that to come out on Friday (7th). Obviously, these are all ETAs and depending on what happens, the times can change -- but that's what we're aiming for. 

What about PS4?

Right now our main focus is getting Xbox in a good state, and then we'll be able to port over the changes with Abstraction to PS4. We're doing a lot of the hard work now so that process will be smoother later on, and we expect to drop that update around the 12th. This will get all 3 versions of the game to generally the same place / on the same version etc. From there we'll be working on wrapping up Ragnarok on console, and it's likely the PC version will also receive an update (and yes, console would get the same version of Ragnarok that is on PC).

Ragnarok

I know you guys are frustrated by the delays, believe me, we're disappointed too, however, the work we're doing now is better for both the long term and short term health of the game's development. Delays suck, let's face it -- we thought we would be able to hit out target release dates better this month, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. It is much more important for us and beneficial for you with Ragnarok having a delay to the 19th so we can focus on wrapping up these console builds and getting those versions of the game in an excellent state. Rest assured, you will get the map, as well as all these other fixes and improvements, you'll just need to wait a little longer. 

If you haven't seen, we're also currently collecting reports for issues and if you've got something you think we should check out, let us know:

It's insanely busy here and everyone is working very hard to get these patches out to you! We're sorry if it's a little crazier than normal right now :D

What's funny, is everything was fine for me and my friends until this hotfix. Lol

6 hours ago, Soldiercide said:

Did you by chance modify any of your settings after you realized things were boosted?

umm no i mantained my lv70 player after i guess a update to the map that made the creatures on primitiveplus mod on the island map got wiped in singleplayer so i had to start over about the settings thing for my dino's that had high hp and attack it was as u said it was the singleplayer settings thing wich i turned off now but i was wondering why my save (creatures and structures been deleted on primitive plus this also happened on the center to.. along while ago and i do play on xbox one~) O.o

Just now, danlillis said:

umm no i mantained my lv70 player after i guess a update to the map that made the creatures on primitiveplus mod on the island map got wiped in singleplayer so i had to start over about the settings thing for my dino's that had high hp and attack it was as u said it was the singleplayer settings thing wich i turned off now but i was wondering why my save (creatures and structures been deleted on primitive plus this also happened on the center to.. along while ago and i do play on xbox one~) O.o

Curious.  Some of us that run player dedicated on the Xbox have been conversing about the issue we are having, and we are pretty sure an issue exists in the handling of save files post-update.  The server data can't be manually saved, and won't automatically save.  It may be that for many of us that whatever error exists in the patch corrupted the server data.  This may also be the case in the instance of Primitive Plus saves, though I haven't seen any widespread reports of this happening.  There was a point in time where altering day time and various other settings would push a fresh map version.  Reverting the settings corrected the issue, but since you haven't modified any settings I doubt this is the case.  At this point I'd bet money that the patch created an error in the way the Xbox stores or reads save files, and that it more than likely what occurred with your save.  Unfortunately, there is no way to rollback on the Xbox as we can't access the save file.

3 hours ago, bean1119 said:

Are rex's slower than my player running please change this? I would like some mobility on the rexes it's awful playing solo trying to hunt alphas and death worms on a rex slower than before this update.

At least let me respect the skills my high level rex after you butcher the speed 100% speed is a sloth now why and you reset my speed rex from 147% speed to 119% speed please why?

Have you tried disabling the 'Single Player' option on the settings pane?

2 minutes ago, Soldiercide said:

Curious.  Some of us that run player dedicated on the Xbox have been conversing about the issue we are having, and we are pretty sure an issue exists in the handling of save files post-update.  The server data can't be manually saved, and won't automatically save.  It may be that for many of us that whatever error exists in the patch corrupted the server data.  This may also be the case in the instance of Primitive Plus saves, though I haven't seen any widespread reports of this happening.  There was a point in time where altering day time and various other settings would push a fresh map version.  Reverting the settings corrected the issue, but since you haven't modified any settings I doubt this is the case.  At this point I'd bet money that the patch created an error in the way the Xbox stores or reads save files, and that it more than likely what occurred with your save.  Unfortunately, there is no way to rollback on the Xbox as we can't access the save file.

well when the update did come out i did turn on some settings that included the server settings i turned on.... thing is it only happened to the primitive plus mod (island map) i have scorched earth and i did play on the center but i dont wanna do the cheat thing to unlike so i dont even know if my dinos on the center are still there or not the regular island map without primitive plus all my creatures are fine but this has happened before on the mod the center along while ago and i doubt back then i edited any settings so thanks for telling me this i am just hopeing that this bug thing for deleteing save data sometimes, i hope it wont happen again and i hope in the near future we will be able to make copys of the saves like lets say i wanted to start a new (island save) but i dont wanna delete the existing one... that probely would be nice. @w@ 

Just now, danlillis said:

well when the update did come out i did turn on some settings that included the server settings i turned on.... thing is it only happened to the primitive plus mod (island map) i have scorched earth and i did play on the center but i dont wanna do the cheat thing to unlike so i dont even know if my dinos on the center are still there or not the regular island map without primitive plus all my creatures are fine but this has happened before on the mod the center along while ago and i doubt back then i edited any settings so thanks for telling me this i am just hopeing that this bug thing for deleteing save data sometimes, i hope it wont happen again and i hope in the near future we will be able to make copys of the saves like lets say i wanted to start a new (island save) but i dont wanna delete the existing one... that probely would be nice. @w@ 

Having the saved file data tabled and accessible would be great, I agree.  It's pretty standard with any other game that saves incrementally or periodically.  Jat responded to the forum were were communicating in, and was trying to duplicate the issues we were having.  Hopefully they will sort it out soon, and we can get back after it.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived