Thoughts on a official single player?

EchoingTime

Official single player that has no contact with official servers but acts like one. Single player users won't be able to use cheats and can't change settings to high(a shorter limit) Separate from single player right now. Achievements will have to be earned on these single player servers. Good idea?

Or have settings harvest/tame/xp to 3x and change settings that'll fit with the no offline time.. Enables a trade with other single player users.. In order to trade a player will go to a trade center on their map and meet up with the other users(can be the obelisks?). This user can't go out of the trading area and no one can be harmed inside it. Now players are trading with each other on their single player worlds with same settings and no cheats. Official single player.

I kinda dig this idea. Sometimes, I want to play ARK and only be semi sociable! Singleplayer can feel hollow, or like you'd really like to be able to palm a task off to someone else and sometimes online can be a bit too involved with tribemates, other people on the server etc; sometimes you wanna play ARK with all the things you've made and tamed but not have to talk to people after a long day talking to people already.

I quite like this middle ground idea, although that might make it way more involved in terms of work to add it in etc, although it would be cool to get a snapshot of another solo survivor briefly. I guess alternatively the things/dinos would be traded via some sort of menu, maybe accessible by some sort of obelisk style doodad that would also serve to upload the dinos/goods for trade, might be much easier to put into place, I'd be pretty stoked with just that tbh. Maybe when you put things up for trade etc it would create a little face icon for you out of whatever your survivor looked like at the time.

I think if you took it too far it would become really convoluted and too much like Multiplayer light, but maybe there would be a place for a singleplayer mode with multiplayer trade-y type aspects. It generally intrigues me that ARK has already been spun off into 3+ distinct(ish) modes before it's even released and there's still more modes being suggested that warrant a second thought, versatile!

3 hours ago, DimitriNakov said:

Hmmmm I dig into the idea of an Official Single Player as long as there's still Unofficial Singleplayer that lets you earn trophies, there's no need to screw the people that want to play unofficial and earn those trophies. Things are better when everyone can make a choice without restrictions.

Yes there would be unofficial and official, two different maps for each map.

3 hours ago, thedogowl said:

I kinda dig this idea. Sometimes, I want to play ARK and only be semi sociable! Singleplayer can feel hollow, or like you'd really like to be able to palm a task off to someone else and sometimes online can be a bit too involved with tribemates, other people on the server etc; sometimes you wanna play ARK with all the things you've made and tamed but not have to talk to people after a long day talking to people already.

I quite like this middle ground idea, although that might make it way more involved in terms of work to add it in etc, although it would be cool to get a snapshot of another solo survivor briefly. I guess alternatively the things/dinos would be traded via some sort of menu, maybe accessible by some sort of obelisk style doodad that would also serve to upload the dinos/goods for trade, might be much easier to put into place, I'd be pretty stoked with just that tbh. Maybe when you put things up for trade etc it would create a little face icon for you out of whatever your survivor looked like at the time.

I think if you took it too far it would become really convoluted and too much like Multiplayer light, but maybe there would be a place for a singleplayer mode with multiplayer trade-y type aspects. It generally intrigues me that ARK has already been spun off into 3+ distinct(ish) modes before it's even released and there's still more modes being suggested that warrant a second thought, versatile!

True it may add more work but once you have upgraded tools and more dinos then things will start to go faster. I guess a player could go to the obelisk and put up a dino on the trade menu with it's level and stats. While at base the obelisk will make a loud noise making the player know when trade has arrived. Once you go there you can check out the trade menu and see who offered the better dino with better stats. Once you agree to the trade you must wait for the player to pick out when he/she will arrive. If a player isn't there on time and if the other player leaves then you will get a trading fee. (maybe 500 iron or a hard resource) Thinking if ark could make a island where all single player users will go to and trade their dinos/resources among all other survivors. 

11 minutes ago, holden4ever said:

No thanks. Wildcard are already doing their best to ruin single player by forcing stupid decisions on everyone. No need to give them another way to do it.

There will be unofficial and official. I think they are making the decisions to add more of a challenge and there isn't offline time.

11 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

Yes there would be unofficial and official, two different maps for each map.

True it may add more work but once you have upgraded tools and more dinos then things will start to go faster. I guess a player could go to the obelisk and put up a dino on the trade menu with it's level and stats. While at base the obelisk will make a loud noise making the player know when trade has arrived. Once you go there you can check out the trade menu and see who offered the better dino with better stats. Once you agree to the trade you must wait for the player to pick out when he/she will arrive. If a player isn't there on time and if the other player leaves then you will get a trading fee. (maybe 500 iron or a hard resource) Thinking if ark could make a island where all single player users will go to and trade their dinos/resources among all other survivors. 

I meant work as in development work for Wildcard lol! I think your way would be loads cooler definitely! My thinking was more that just adding a menu that you trade through is probably 10X easier and less work than allowing people to actually temporarily go to another server to trade with someone/someone visiting their server to trade in the trade area and then trying to stamp out all the bugs that come with that.

11 hours ago, holden4ever said:

No thanks. Wildcard are already doing their best to ruin single player by forcing stupid decisions on everyone. No need to give them another way to do it.

I get the impression their coming up to a spree of single player related fixes etc which I guess is good news. I assume you're a bit salty about them locking The Center away behind ascension/the command console which is kinda fair enough, I thought that was odd also, but at least it's not totally inaccessible! Singleplayer definitely needs some TLC though, it performs not as well as you'd want it to, seems much more unstable than an online instance, and has loads of glitches.

2 minutes ago, thedogowl said:

I get the impression their coming up to a spree of single player related fixes etc which I guess is good news. I assume you're a bit salty about them locking The Center away behind ascension/the command console which is kinda fair enough, I thought that was odd also, but at least it's not totally inaccessible! Singleplayer definitely needs some TLC though, it performs not as well as you'd want it to, seems much more unstable than an online instance, and has loads of glitches.

I play sp mainly and will be running my own server once the Win 10 version is done or when I get an XB1 X so forcing nerfs meant for official servers on everyone is ridiculous. If I want to fly everywhere and not have it take all day to travel across the map because I have to stop every 30 seconds or because they fly so bloody slow then I should be able to. Locking The Centre is another stupid decision considering I've been playing on that map since it was released.

6 hours ago, holden4ever said:

I play sp mainly and will be running my own server once the Win 10 version is done or when I get an XB1 X so forcing nerfs meant for official servers on everyone is ridiculous. If I want to fly everywhere and not have it take all day to travel across the map because I have to stop every 30 seconds or because they fly so bloody slow then I should be able to. Locking The Centre is another stupid decision considering I've been playing on that map since it was released.

The flyer nerf wasn't to bad.. Using ocean dinos may be faster then a flyer+Some ocean dinos you can have a flyer on top of it? Locking the center wasn't really needed but it does add a goal to do on single player but a warning would have been nice.

10 minutes ago, djbonez said:

I am really liking this idea, as when Ark was first released I played local for several months to get the hang of the game before I went to an official server.  I didn't want to be a noob on the official servers.  I had a lot of time and effort in the local, so it would have been nice to be Single Player server.

True but I went to single player as official didn't have transfers at the time and it took a while to do certain tasks. However I never changed any settings when first playing day 1 on console.

Just now, Ganelon said:

Is there a way to make an unofficial with this kind of rule system? Limit Tribe size to 1, perhaps. I've thought about making a multiplay environment that is less social centric... less dino hording(tame limits).

I don't believe so? Haven't played ark for a while due to it being broken and now the strange dino appearances. Waiting for the next two updates but if you haven't found the answer then I will send you a msg when I do.

3 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

I don't believe so? Haven't played ark for a while due to it being broken and now the strange dino appearances. Waiting for the next two updates but if you haven't found the answer then I will send you a msg when I do.

Although I have never flipped the switch, there are settings to limit tribe size on a server. (I haven't checked to see if there is a switch to turn off alliances) That would go alone way toward defeating the Mega tribe phenom. Sure... a bunch of tribers could join... but could not share or command other players tames in a dynamic fashion. Tribe of One server, that. It would encourage the 'Good Neighbor' policy. After I upgrade my power server's cooling, I'll start one and make it public... see what happens.

8 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

The flyer nerf wasn't to bad.. Using ocean dinos may be faster then a flyer+Some ocean dinos you can have a flyer on top of it? Locking the center wasn't really needed but it does add a goal to do on single player but a warning would have been nice.

Yes it was. The game is supposed to be "played the way you want" yet they keep taking away options and nerfing the **** out of everything based solely on official PVP/PVE servers with no regard to anything else. As for ocean dinos you can only use them so much before a flyer is the better option. Maybe if you could actually travel using the waterways instead of most of them being too shallow. I have a base at the big cove in the SW area of the map and the cove is absolutely useless for water tames because you can't get them in there. What's the point?

As for locking The Centre map? Nothing anyone can say will convince me that it was a good idea. The fact that you can unlock it with a code just shows how useless and stupid this decision was. Ragnarok will be the same. It's almost like Wildcard want people to stop playing.

1 hour ago, Jostabeere said:

Well, I doubt WC will host servers for only 1 player, but if it's player hosted, people could still abuse it and hack, since it's their server. Then allowing to trade with actual Official servers might be an issue.

Definitely! If this were a thing I think it would have to be purely trading between single players hosting there own instance. My guess would be that it would need some official server hardware to manage the trades, but I imagine you'd be able to serve so many people's trading with one server compared to actually storing their bases and tames etc.

5 minutes ago, thedogowl said:

Definitely! If this were a thing I think it would have to be purely trading between single players hosting there own instance. My guess would be that it would need some official server hardware to manage the trades, but I imagine you'd be able to serve so many people's trading with one server compared to actually storing their bases and tames etc.

So just allow SP to trade with other SPs?

38 minutes ago, Pachycephalosaurus said:

So just allow SP to trade with other SPs?

Yes that would probably be the best option 

2 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Well, I doubt WC will host servers for only 1 player, but if it's player hosted, people could still abuse it and hack, since it's their server. Then allowing to trade with actual Official servers might be an issue.

Yes, i don't think a Official SP should trade with actual official servers. 

Archived