Tek trough is utterly useless

McTayTay

So I was experimenting with the new Tek Trough to see how much more efficent it is compared to its old counter part and I was severly unsatisfied. It can only hold 40 more slots compared to the regular feeding trough and just refridgerates it. Sounds good right? Not so much considering you need a tek generator and spare element to run it. Better yet, you can't even put wyvern milk in it! It's easier to make a bunch of feeding trough and cook the meat, rather than bothering to make a tek trough. Really big dissapointment with it, hopefully it'll get some touch ups to make it worth while to make.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found all the tek stuff pretty underwhelming, but I'd take that over the overpowered mess the trailer hinted it was going to be.

That being said, I've never really worked out all the angst about feeding troughs.  It just doesn't seem that big a deal to me to spend 20mins every few days to fill them up.  Maybe it's more of an issue for PVE servers where tribes have thousands of tames but then again, what else is there to do on PVE anyway?

17 minutes ago, Smash said:

I've found all the tek stuff pretty underwhelming, but I'd take that over the overpowered mess the trailer hinted it was going to be.

That being said, I've never really worked out all the angst about feeding troughs.  It just doesn't seem that big a deal to me to spend 20mins every few days to fill them up.  Maybe it's more of an issue for PVE servers where tribes have thousands of tames but then again, what else is there to do on PVE anyway?

There is a tame limit of 500 dino's per tribe, so not thousands. And there is plenty to do beside just gathering meat to feed your tames:

-Breeding

-Taming

-Bosses

-Building(some/most people try to actually build something decent looking instead of a PVP square block with 500 turrets)

-Resource gathering

-Exploring

-And a lot more :) Don't underestimate the fun you can have in PvE

But on-topic: the tek feeding through doesn't seem that useful for what you have to pay for it, 10-20grills+10-20feeding through get the job done as well.

They are extremely useful for breeding. 1 raw meat spoils in 16 hours or so. A stack of 20 spoils in 13, almost 14 days. With enough Tek troughs you could get enough meat in one go and never feed a juvenile giga again for the rest of the raise. 15 Tek troughs filled with raw meat and you'll never have to worry about your raising giga for the rest of the raise. 4 full Tek troughs and you don't have to worry about a quetzal. 2 and you don't have to worry about a Rex. 1 full Tek trough and you can raise anything as short or shorter than a Spino. Things get easier with herbivores. 70 slots of berries for a bronto with the Tek trough. 47 with mejos, 36 for crops. 16 small crop plots with mejos or 24 medium crop plots per bronto being raised and you'd never even need a berry run.

Occasionally re-grouping the stacks and you could get away with even fewer troughs/slots, especially for carnivores.

1 hour ago, Smash said:

Actually on "PVE" officials we're limited to 500 tames per tribe. (that being said, there are many pve servers that you cant tame on anymore, they hit server limit) A large number of people that play on officials are not able to play on a daily basis, some of them are weekly. Refrigerated troughs were always in demand especially for the players that lacked time, and is in more demand now that players need to feed stuff 4x+ more then we used to due to the food stasis being removed.

53 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

Not a game changer, sure, but useless?

You people throw that word around a lot.

57 minutes ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

They are extremely useful for breeding. 1 raw meat spoils in 16 hours or so. A stack of 20 spoils in 13, almost 14 days. With enough Tek troughs you could get enough meat in one go and never feed a juvenile giga again for the rest of the raise. 15 Tek troughs filled with raw meat and you'll never have to worry about your raising giga for the rest of the raise. 4 full Tek troughs and you don't have to worry about a quetzal. 2 and you don't have to worry about a Rex. 1 full Tek trough and you can raise anything as short or shorter than a Spino. Things get easier with herbivores. 70 slots of berries for a bronto with the Tek trough. 47 with mejos, 36 for crops. 16 small crop plots with mejos or 24 medium crop plots per bronto being raised and you'd never even need a berry run.

Occasionally re-grouping the stacks and you could get away with even fewer troughs/slots, especially for carnivores.

10 regular feeding troughs, 20 fridges and about a minimum of 4 grills (or 10 if you want to fill fridges up quicker) is gonna be cheaper than doing boss fights and saving up resources for a, tek replicator, tek generator and finally a trough. Spending a total of 1.4k poly, 8.3k metal, 950 crystal, 123 element, and 315 black pearls for a tek replicator, trough and generator. OR you can spend 4.4k metal, 300 poly, 800 crystal, 200 electronics and a minimum of 80 raw metal for 20 fridges, 10 grills and 10 feeding troughs. Which seems more efficent??? Sorry, rather stick to my 20 feeding troughs and 25 grills.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, McTayTay said:

10 regular feeding troughs, 20 fridges and about a minimum of 4 grills (or 10 if you want to fill fridges up quicker) is gonna be cheaper than doing boss fights and saving up resources for a, tek replicator, tek generator and finally a trough. Spending a total of 1.4k poly, 8.3k metal, 950 crystal, 123 element, and 315 black pearls for a tek replicator, trough and generator. OR you can spend 4.4k metal, 300 poly, 800 crystal, 200 electronics and a minimum of 80 raw metal for 20 fridges, 10 grills and 10 feeding troughs. Which seems more efficent??? Sorry, rather stick to my 20 feeding troughs and 25 grills.

From the numbers you and the other member have crunched, it seems to me that your method is a lower initial investment for a heftier cost of upkeep. Whereas @Sup3riorArs3nal pointed to a system with a heavy initial investment for a much lighter upkeep. In other words, different strokes for different folks.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, McTayTay said:

So I was experimenting with the new Tek Trough to see how much more efficent it is compared to its old counter part and I was severly unsatisfied. It can only hold 40 more slots compared to the regular feeding trough and just refridgerates it. Sounds good right? Not so much considering you need a tek generator and spare element to run it. Better yet, you can't even put wyvern milk in it! It's easier to make a bunch of feeding trough and cook the meat, rather than bothering to make a tek trough. Really big dissapointment with it, hopefully it'll get some touch ups to make it worth while to make.

Why would you expect it to hold more than 40 more slots than a regular trough? it's not a TARDIS. Unless it is humongous like the industrial grill then it makes sense to not have much more space than a regular trough even though 40 is almost double the normal ones.

I also expected that if they brought out a higher tier trough that it would mainly be useful for refrigerated food. I must admit though I wasn't expecting it in Tek Tier. But I wouldn't say it's utterly useless. If it was utterly useless then the thing wouldn't work. It's expensive, but still has a usefulness.

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

From the numbers you and the other member have crunched, it seems to me that your method is a lower initial investment for a heftier cost of upkeep. Whereas @Sup3riorArs3nal pointed to a system with a heavy initial investment for a much lighter upkeep. In other words, different strokes for different folks.

Yep, quality of life improvement for breeders.  If I had to cook 20 troughs worth of raw meat for the same effect I think I would pick the tek trough for sure.

3 hours ago, McTayTay said:

And? It's an investment. For MUCH easier use in the long run. After the Tek is made you can do a full giga with 10 meat runs ahead of time then never have to do a meat run for it for the nearly 2 weeks of raising. Never even have to touch the troughs even, though recombining the meat daily would save you a little in the long run. To last 1 day with a fresh juvenile giga, you'll need 5 regular troughs of cooked meat, so 300 total stacks, or 9,000 total meat. That's ~3 meat runs then you have to spend 8.4 hours cooking the meat with 25 grills. That buys you 1 day. Alternatively you could just use raw, but to get 12 hours you'd need 180 stacks of raw meat, one solid meat run, but you'd have to do it twice daily for 5-6 days, then once daily for another 4-5 days. ~14-17 meat runs but all spaced out at opposite ends of the day. You could store it all with fridges ahead of time but you'd still have to manage/distribute the meat every 12 hours or so. All compared to 10 meat runs ahead of time and literally worry free. Immune to updates/ddos/life/forgetful tribemates etc preventing you from feeding it when needed.

Alternatively you could just have 4, still capable of doing a Quetz or anything quicker effortlessly. And with a giga on 4 Tek troughs that's 1 meat run every ~2 days

Even just 2 troughs and that's 1 meat run per day as a fresh juvenile with an "If full guaranteed 24hrs+ of assured time."

With zero thought you could get 16 troughs on one generator at the lowest setting, and if you wanted sheer overkill with proper planning you could get ~240 troughs on one generator on the lowest setting. Reported single player numbers are 25hrs per element, so given the recent patch notes that should be 100 hours per element on the lowest range on official servers. 1 easy Broodmother kill would fuel 41.67 days of raising time. Even at 25 hours per that's still 20.83 days of power for 1 gamma Broodmother kill, which takes hardly any artifacts/parts to summon and is easily beaten by 4 people with 4 good Rexes and can be done over and over repeatedly (did 8 in one night once, you get more than enough meat from spiders to force heal after every run, and the chitin you get is crazy). Alternatively 1 or 2 people with 20 good Rexes who know what they are doing can take on the beta Megapithicus easily with zero Rex casualties, or alpha with a potential for a few Rex casualties. Or 7-10 people with 7-10 good Rexes can take on the beta/alpha dragon easily. Beta/Alpha Megapithicus run + a few beta/alpha dragon runs and you'll have the element to make it all, and then a gamma Broodmother run every 2 weeks and you can maintain their power with zero issue. If you've got the people you can just do the gamma Broodmother for meat runs, as that pretty much inventory maxes 4-5 Rexes on meat+chitin per run (about 10 minutes) + the 10 element all for a low summon cost.

TL;DR:

Tek trough is hardly useless. Might have a slightly pricy entry cost but if you can craft them they save a lot of effort and worry in the long run.

No idea why anyone would cook meat. Fish meat gives the same food and lasts just as long without the annoying extra step of cooking it.

Raw meat for baby inventory, and fish meat for troughs. Lots of troughs.

If you have the tribemates to run a successful Beta Megapithecus, then yeah, a 100 slot refrigerated trough is useless.

Is my opinion. But then, I raise mosas. Solo. Five at a time usually. Once, I raised eight at once. Never again.

So yes, a 100 slot refrigerated trough is useless to the people who can afford it.

Since they are already able to do without the tek trough.

Could I get it? Yes. I already have the tekgrams.

Are all of the tekgrams useful?

No.

A giga eats a 20 stack of raw meat every seven minutes the first few days. A tek trough holds 100. That's 700 minutes.  11.5 hours worth of food, and the first of each stack would spoil ideally at 17 hours, if you gathered it and put it directly in trough.

A normal trough holds 60 slots. 420 minutes of food, seven hours,  but the first through fifth pieces of meat are automatically counted as spoiled, so only 3/4 of meat in trough actually counts. Let's just say four hours. Close enough.

But! Let's use fish meat instead.

A giga will eat twice as much fish meat, however, the spoil times double.

We are still going on the premise that normal troughs are better due to, you know, costing 1/1000 a tek trough, boss fight notwithstanding.

So yeah. There is no beating spamming normal troughs and filling with shark and manta meat.

Tek trough is nothing more than a shiny "Look what I got" toy.

Like the rich woman with the expensive tennis bracelet. Pretty to look at, but useless and impractical for the cost.

the first thing you have to check if you want to know if the tek through could have a use, have they really fixed the spoil timers at throughs?

It was like you put something in and if you never look in again nothing spoils. This was a bug and it was great cause you could calculate the time you have free and it made the game more play able for people with jobs.

If this bug still is active, lol tek through *faceplam*

If the bug is not active anymore you should use math and check if the tek through is usefull and after you calculate all you will have the result could be usefull but damn i will not farm element to running this cause if i have to farm element i can easily farm the amount of more meat and have much more free time anyway.

The meat you have to throw away while famring all the dino drops you need now to make the bosses would be enough to feed all your dinos for years with normal through.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

No idea why anyone would cook meat. Fish meat gives the same food and lasts just as long without the annoying extra step of cooking it.

They cook meat because cooked meat lasts longer than raw. Same thing applies even to fish meat. Which means that if you are planning to cook the meat then you're concerning yourself with upkeep.

As I've stated above, the different approaches go for either a lower investment with higher upkeep, or a higher investment with a lower upkeep. While "there is no beating spamming normal troughs and filling with shark and manta meat" as you put it (at least in regards to investment), I would contest that doing so takes a far longer time and has to be done far more times during the day/week than it would doing the same thing with tek troughs.

If you are doing the bosses to upkeep your other tek items then the trough is an added bonus to the link.

It does not matter how many stacks you put into the normal trough as it all spoils at the same rate which is annoying for breeding. (so much spoilt meat in the thing each time)

Tek trough sound AMAZING for breeding

I know cooked meat lasts longer. But, you have to cook it. Which means even more time wasted waiting on it to cook and transferring. Even if you are doing base related stuff, e.g. narcoberry farming and filling berry troughs and inventory management, it still takes time away. Efficiency is important. For 75 percent of players who will never even see a tek trough outside of solo play, viable options are needed. No power required, no need to beat the monkey, no need for farming bosses endlessly for element...just kill lots of mantas and sharks and load up troughs. Most people make some sort of effort to imprint their dinos. It is a simple take all from three or four troughs, then transfer to other troughs to top off during the imprint. Adds two minutes to the imprint process, adds a large reduction in spoilage until next imprint. It also makes the troughs without meat instantly visible for filling when you have more time than a ten minute hop on to imprint. Seeing as how it takes 35 minutes to cook enough meat to fill ONE trough with one industrial grill. Two, 17.5 minutes. Four grills reduce it to eight minutes 45 seconds per trough. Very time consuming to fill troughs with cooked meat.

Meat run in the water. Ten minutes to weight cap player with 450 weight and slot cap inventory of mosa. Transfer directly to eight troughs. Repeat. One hour to fill 40 troughs, that feed five mosas or gigas for a very long time. Again, restacking meat to reset time during imprint. I use gigas and mosas as example, because they eat a lot, and take the longest to raise. Squids too, but mosas eat the fastest out of the apex predators, at one stack of 20 raw meat every six minutes, reduced by 10 percent of consumption every day.

Even meat farming with a bred and imprinted therizino on a quetz ramp pre theri nerf leveled in melee and power with two beavers to transfer meat to on the quetz is slower due to the speed of the quetz.

With the massive timesink the game has become, efficiency and multitasking is key.

Will I get some eventually? For sure. Is it going to be worth it? Math says no. One hour of meat farming by a single person to feed five apex predator babies for a day is pretty good.

It's tek. The same tier that adds lasers to sharks and jetpacks.

And the best they could do was a direct ripoff of the Tarvan's Trough mod from over a year ago?

I think the idea is that if you are developed enough to be running a tek generator for your base, then the trough is a nice bonus.

OR

Setup your tek troughs near your cloning chamber, and use the troughs only when you are running the gen to clone anyway.

Just because it doesnt seem useful on its own, doesn't mean it doesn't have its uses/benefits in some aspect.

8 hours ago, Schreihase said:

the first thing you have to check if you want to know if the tek through could have a use, have they really fixed the spoil timers at throughs?

It was like you put something in and if you never look in again nothing spoils. This was a bug and it was great cause you could calculate the time you have free and it made the game more play able for people with jobs.

If this bug still is active, lol tek through *faceplam*

If the bug is not active anymore you should use math and check if the tek through is usefull and after you calculate all you will have the result could be usefull but damn i will not farm element to running this cause if i have to farm element i can easily farm the amount of more meat and have much more free time anyway.

The meat you have to throw away while famring all the dino drops you need now to make the bosses would be enough to feed all your dinos for years with normal through.

Yes, they fixed the trough glitch. 

Archived