How do I break free from Thyla's grasp?

GreenRoc

A few things I have learned about them:

They jump down off the tree not up, so if you fly up in the leafy part of the big trees they wont be able to nail you.

They only spawn on the big trees that can have platforms.

Always keep your mount on neutral in the redwoods. When those thylas and microraptors strike, your mount will pull them off you as they will attack the mount and let you go (this also prevents the annoying dash off in a random direction that mounts do when on passive and a microraptor pulls you off them).

If you spot a thyla on a tree, you can edge into range with a longneck rifle and shoot it and it will drop to the ground and not climb back up. Just fly off and it will stay roaming on the ground.

Thylas spawn hanging off the side of the tree. I have seen them under platforms, I have seen them above platforms, in fact my redwoods platform on Rag11 constantly has them spawning just above my platform. I had to move my bed around to the other side of the tree to avoid getting jumped when I Fast Travel to it as a result.

Y'all with the precautionary measures are great, thanks. If only there was a perfect solution.

After I started carrying the shotgun around, I finally had an encounter with one I didn't see coming. I unloaded all the pump shotgun rounds I could into the level 150, but the thyla killed me before I could kill it. The pump shotgun is not a solution after getting grabbed by a 150, just had to be a 150. But this weapon is good when I see them beforehand. Pew pew.

6 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

if you fly up in the leafy part of the big trees they wont be able to nail you.

Actually they can still grab you. One time I was flying near the tops of the trees, and one jumped up and grabbed me off my Wyvern.

Always keep your mount on neutral in the redwoods.

Already doing this, but for whatever reason, my anky just stood there like nothing was chewing it's face off, and not swinging it's tail, and anky was on neutral. I've had bears and yuts and golems on neutral when I am grabbed, and for whatever reason, the tames just derp about like they just don't care that their owner is getting attacked.

If you spot a thyla on a tree, you can edge into range with a longneck rifle and shoot it and it will drop to the ground and not climb back up.

I've done this a few times now, another pretty good precautionary measure... but I do not always see them, especially when they are hidden by leaves, or on the opposite side of the tree.

Archived