How do I break free from Thyla's grasp?

GreenRoc

My tribe leader picked the redwoods to live in (pve) and about 5+ times a day I am grabbed by a tree cat and killed.

How can I break free of it's grasp?

It seems that when I am grabbed, there is no hope for survival, even if it is a level 5, I am pretty much guaranteed dead, as it will chew on me until I am dead, regardless of my gear or health (the more armor/heath I have, the longer it takes to kill me). I find there is little I can do with my character's melee, as I cannot seem to kill it before it kills me. I was wondering if there is a hotkey to break free that I dont know about.

I try to whistle my dino to attack it, but that doesn't seem to do any good because of silly AI, as my dino wont attack (or cant attack because it derps on a rock) until after I am dead. It is very frustrating.

Avoiding them seems near impossible too, as they are like heat-seeking missiles that almost never miss. I know some have said something like "oh derr just stay away from trees durr" but the area my tribe built in is super dense with trees, I could hug one tree, and get attacked by a cat from a neighboring tree. Staying away from trees is not a solution to this issue, I am looking for a solution after I am grabbed.

This is interesting to me as I have lived in the redwoods on island map dead center of the redwoods and I have NEVER had one jump on me.  Of course I am always riding large dinos or flying.  Maybe thats the key just ride large dinos or fly?  However I have piked one to death that was on a team mate.  160 melee on my character and used a mc pike 201 damage.

• Volunteer Moderator

seeing as about the only times i have gotten jumped by one we are in transit from platform to swamp cave or vice versa--riding a frog and lowest weight kit possible. this means i usually whack the crap out of the kitty with my torch, because its all i have, lmao. important note....light the torch firstxD

i have been jumped once on a wyvern while flying at what i thought was well out of the range of a tree kitty. turns out if they are in the right tree they can jump pretty far into the swamp....

1 minute ago, Slack said:

Reading how everyone has been pulled off all those mounts I guess I have just been lucky the past 4 months...  lol  I see them in the trees and I dont even avoid the tree anymore because I assumed they cant get me.  haha

Lucky indeed. First day on Ragnarok, i was pulled off a wyvern, then riding a yut to get back to the wyvern, I was pulled off the yut, by a level 15. Both times I died. Yesterday I probably was pounced on 6 or more times, died each time they latched on to me. Two other thylas missed that day. The majority of pouncers succeed, and always kill me.

They will also climb the trees where we have platforms.

6S1IgdJ.jpg

1 minute ago, GreenRoc said:

Lucky indeed. First day on Ragnarok, i was pulled off a wyvern, then riding a yut to get back to the wyvern, I was pulled off the yut, by a level 15. Both times I died. Yesterday I probably was pounced on 6 or more times, died each time they latched on to me. Two other thylas missed that day. The majority of pouncers succeed, and always kill me.

They will also climb the trees where we have platforms.

6S1IgdJ.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!  Thats got to be a bug if this is happening in ragnorok.   I live on the island map on console pve.  Never seen them on trees with platforms.  Even when I have rode by under them with another thyla they seem to ignore me.  

You have got me curious at this point I may go tonight and see if I can make one jump on me just to experience it first hand.  xD

11 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

i have been jumped once on a wyvern while flying at what i thought was well out of the range of a tree kitty. turns out if they are in the right tree they can jump pretty far into the swamp....

No kidding, those darn things have some serious hang time lol! I've had them jump over my Argy before when I thought I was out of range. Usually if I get snagged I'm whistling for my bird and piking the crap out of it hoping I get lucky and kill it, they're brutal!

Just now, Slack said:

You have got me curious at this point I may go tonight and see if I can make one jump on me just to experience it first hand.  xD

Try Redwoods near the red oby. There is a very thick cluster of trees next to the river (that turns into a waterfall coming out of a log). That is where our tribe set up.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:29 AM, phantomman01 said:

No kidding, those darn things have some serious hang time lol! I've had them jump over my Argy before when I thought I was out of range. Usually if I get snagged I'm whistling for my bird and piking the crap out of it hoping I get lucky and kill it, they're brutal!

you've never seen? I've seen so many whenever I reset tree bases I walk around looking to see if they are there.

apparently if their butt isn't on the ground they can "teleport" to a nearby tree and latch on. wiki does say if their butt is on the ground they can no longer go back up a tree and ambush anything again

they even spawn in fully enclosed metal platform20170530175853_1.thumb.jpg.3a6f34fa76103fdcf87e95619761f685.jpg

Just carry a decent weapon and you should be fine. Gone are the days of going everywhere naked or in your best looking outfit, dress and arm yourself appropriately for the situation. Ghillie helps keep them from pouncing on you if you are riding something that they have a low aggro range on (wyvern, rex, giga, etc). 

Flying higher and keeping your eyes peeled helps too.... dont fly blindly :P

1 hour ago, Sh4rk said:

Ghillie helps keep them from pouncing on you

Unfortunately, the redwoods we are in is too cold for Ghillie, I have to wear fur. I got myself a Journeyman Pump Action shotgun now. Haven't been in a situation to use it yet. I like how I can have it loaded with 6 ammo without needing ammo in my inventory. Pegos. Pegos everywhere.

59 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

Unfortunately, the redwoods we are in is too cold for Ghillie, I have to wear fur. I got myself a Journeyman Pump Action shotgun now. Haven't been in a situation to use it yet. I like how I can have it loaded with 6 ammo without needing ammo in my inventory. Pegos. Pegos everywhere.

You wont instantly die from the cold, especially when mounted. Maybe you can find some better ghillie or bring some healing brews when your health starts dropping lower than you are comfortable with. Or spec for more fortitude :)

There is always a way!!! Never give up!

15 hours ago, Sh4rk said:

Or spec for more fortitude :)

40 fort isnt enough out here. I don't have any more levels to put into fort, I'm level 80 atm. Ghuille is not a solution. Besides, my original question is for when I am in it's claws, not for preventative measures.

The pump shotgun is what I am going with for now.

Archived