Tamed dinos vs wild dinos Discussion

EchoingTime

While playing ark it seems like getting one tamed dino at level 100+ can almost take down every wild dino?

I feel like ark should cap dinos at level 80 (Meaning players will only be allowed to tame level 80 or below dinos. You can still level it, breed it, and get higher dinos.. Just taming a level 150 won't get you a level 200+) and any dinos above 80 will show up in a purple text showing that these dinos are not tameable. (Or have wild dinos above 200+ that can't be tamed?) These wild dinos can also have a buff in their stats to go against tamed and breeded dinos. Thoughts or ideas on this? Once getting a base and high level dinos a player doesn't have to worry to much.. Well if you are on pvp you will worry about other players but pve? Hopefully other players feel the same way as I do.. Would be nice instead of taking one dino to wipe the carno island or that island on the center.. You'll have to take more dinos to be safer. Should this be a option like Extreme difficulty or be a part of the game?

Personally I'd say if you want to experience the "true" game balance - ditch levels altogether. Animals stay strong or weak relative to each other no matter what, humans stay squishy, niches become more important because there's no brute forcing it,... To maintain that balance, ditch advanced stuff, disable higher quality drops and blueprints, ...
The lower the max wild level, the smaller the gaps from taming/breeding get.

1 minute ago, fewcm said:

If that's how you want to play it, knock yourself out. Why try to impose this on everyone?

I don't believe I can do this? Why try to impose this on everyone? Sorry if I have upset you.., all I was trying to do was give a idea out to see if players would want to have a challenge against wild dinos.

Just now, EchoingTime said:

I don't believe I can do this? Why try to impose this on everyone? Sorry if I have upset you.., all I was trying to do was give a idea out to see if players would want to have a challenge against wild dinos.

I actually think there is a mod that kinda does this? Or did I dream that? Not very up to date on mods...
Think it was one where babies grow in the wild, and as they grow older, they get stronger, and if they were too old, they could no longer be tamed?
Regardless, if it doesn't exist yet, it can be done through mods, I believe.

Just now, Housatonic said:

I actually think there is a mod that kinda does this? Or did I dream that? Not very up to date on mods...
Think it was one where babies grow in the wild, and as they grow older, they get stronger, and if they were too old, they could no longer be tamed?
Regardless, if it doesn't exist yet, it can be done through mods, I believe.

Hmm, sadly console players can't have mods yet but thanks for the suggestion :). I am wondering though if ark could somehow involve this in the game officially? By making it a option on settings or having servers like this for the more hardcore players.

1 minute ago, fewcm said:

Sure you can, just don't tame anything higher than lvl 80, if that is the way you want to challenge yourself.

True but the game itself wouldn't be to possible if I were to do that. If the idea above were to be made true then bosses may have to be weaker and certain alphas. Since those are already pretty good for a challenge right now.

1 minute ago, EchoingTime said:

Hmm, sadly console players can't have mods yet but thanks for the suggestion :). I am wondering though if ark could somehow involve this in the game officially? By making it a option on settings or having servers like this for the more hardcore players.

From what I understand simply playing on a lower difficulty would go a long way in what you're talking about though. Taming bonuses, tamed dino levelups, breeding and imrpint bonuses, they're all percentages. The lower the wild statsd, the smaller the gains.
Maybe throw in some adjusted resistance and damage settings to beef up wilds or turn tames down a notch, and the balance is pretty flexible.

Hardcore or something in the vein of harcore being something more than just permadeath wouldn;t be a bad idea, but I imagine it'd have to include more than just weaker tames compared to wilds, as we can indeed already tweak that quite a bit.

Not sure how much of the PC vanilla settings console has, but on PC you can even adjust stat gain per species, I believe. Or overall, can also adjust the gains per level, or the bonuses when taming out, ...

5 minutes ago, Housatonic said:

From what I understand simply playing on a lower difficulty would go a long way in what you're talking about though. Taming bonuses, tamed dino levelups, breeding and imrpint bonuses, they're all percentages. The lower the wild statsd, the smaller the gains.
Maybe throw in some adjusted resistance and damage settings to beef up wilds or turn tames down a notch, and the balance is pretty flexible.

Hardcore or something in the vein of harcore being something more than just permadeath wouldn;t be a bad idea, but I imagine it'd have to include more than just weaker tames compared to wilds, as we can indeed already tweak that quite a bit.

Not sure how much of the PC vanilla settings console has, but on PC you can even adjust stat gain per species, I believe. Or overall, can also adjust the gains per level, or the bonuses when taming out, ...

True, consoles can change the settings but it may make fighting the bosses nearly impossible if I were to lower the stats myself on the settings. 

2 minutes ago, EchoingTime said:

Against wild dinos. Right now the only challenge is the bosses but most players don't bother.

Unless they rework the whole game mechanics and make bosses much weaker, it just doesn't work. But it sounds like that's what you would like.

You could always limit your high level dinos to boss killers only. A boss killer is never going to have much issue with wild dinos, otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance against the bosses;) then around the map otherwise you are restricted to lower level.

Or you can decide on other rules for yourself to create a challenge. Plenty of people do a "No flyer" challenge, or "mammal only" etc. Make your own rules to challenge yourself if necessary.

1 hour ago, EchoingTime said:

You haven't been playing this game for two years like some of the PC players, or you would know that around a year ago, tamed dinos were even more OP. I think that change that brought them to there current only slightly OP compared to wild dino statis is called the "Big Dino Nerf". Not many happy memories from that nerf for us PC players.

So, when the nerf hit, sometime shortly after, some ini settings were posted that would restore the previous settings for tamed dinos. Almost all unofficial servers adopted these settings immediately. Unofficial servers have been running on those settings or even more OP settings ever since.

Now I think you are technically wrong saying you can't do this. You can host an unofficial server for PS4, XBox, or PC (I'm pretty sure all of those are available) and then play with whatever settings you want. Although I think not many players will want their tamed dinos even more weak than they already are.

Anyone remember when pteras could get like 1500% melee and one shot tamed rexes?!? Lol

On topic, it sounds like you just need an unofficial. Like that one commercial where the phrase, "there's an app for that", there is an unofficial out there for everyone, just gotta shop. Maybe try one where max wild level is 30 or 60. But, you won't find one where you struggle against wilds AND can beat bosses. Even in a nerf to bosses. If a dino can beat a boss, it will absolutely wreck all wilds.

6 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

While playing ark it seems like getting one tamed dino at level 100+ can almost take down every wild dino?

I feel like ark should cap dinos at level 80 (Meaning players will only be allowed to tame level 80 or below dinos. You can still level it, breed it, and get higher dinos.. Just taming a level 150 won't get you a level 200+) and any dinos above 80 will show up in a purple text showing that these dinos are not tameable. (Or have wild dinos above 200+ that can't be tamed?) These wild dinos can also have a buff in their stats to go against tamed and breeded dinos. Thoughts or ideas on this? Once getting a base and high level dinos a player doesn't have to worry to much.. Well if you are on pvp you will worry about other players but pve? Hopefully other players feel the same way as I do.. Would be nice instead of taking one dino to wipe the carno island or that island on the center.. You'll have to take more dinos to be safer. Should this be a option like Extreme difficulty or be a part of the game?

There's a solution to the thing you're suggesting. Player Dino Damage and Dino Count.

When I wanted my Level 150+ Rex line to be more scared in the wild, I upped the Dino Damage and the Dino Count. So now those packs of Raptors I thought were pointless pests would carve out around 20% of my 15,000 HP if I decided to play stupid and W+M1 into everything. They would kill things that weren't optimized like my flyers and farm dinos, so keeping those Level 255 Rexes around was VERY IMPORTANT. Made me nervous again.

The oceans were of course made really god damn stupid by that change too, as Level 40 Mantas were hitting for 550 damage in large mate-boosted clusters. I had to choose my fights carefully again.

Alpha predators with upper Dino count are surrounded by even more carnivores, making it so I had to fight 10-12 carnos/sabers in addition to the Alpha Carno that was near my base.

Changing this on Official probably won't happen, or even be necessary.

The most dangerous mob in the game is on there....other humans.

1 hour ago, PuffyPony said:

I'd rather things be more difficult because of mechanical changes rather than just statistical changes. Contending with mechanics is fun; mashing the RT/LMB while you watch your Health drop twice as much as normal is not.

Dinos that cause dismounting was a step in that direction, a good one, but you can see how many people complain about that.

6 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

Dinos that cause dismounting was a step in that direction, a good one, but you can see how many people complain about that.

Yeah, and I think that's a good mechanic to use in moderation, though WC definitely made more liberal use of the mechanic than is probably necessary. At this point, I expect about 50% of the forum community to immediately start moaning about some change in any given update, so people complaining really isn't that big of a deal to me. I think WC needs to explore more into grappling opponents, as well as opponents that can make intelligent (I use that word loosely) use of buffs and debuffs kind of like the Yut right now

Archived