@Devs - Feedback on the collision change :)

Mitfrey

Good day everyone!

First of all.. now being able to build without collision problems; AMAZING! It allows for so much more creativity and saves us a ton of headache. The best thing out of this, by far, is the fact we can properly build on uneven terrain now. I don't think we needed the ability to put, for example, Large Storages within each other.

Therefore, my feedback! I think it would be best to change the option "bDisableStructurePlacementCollision" to disable structure collision against the environment only, not against every object. Or at least, add different options to be able to choose how server owners want to disable collision.

For example:
For structures while building: bDisableCollisionPlayerbuildObjects or bDisableCollisionWorldGeometry
For general game-play: bDisableCollisionTamedCreatures or bDisableCollisionWildCreatures

I'm sure you guys get the idea :) Tons of great options here for huge QoL additions! 

I'd love to know what you guys think about the above suggestion :)

28 minutes ago, Mitfrey said:

Good day everyone!

First of all.. now being able to build without collision problems; AMAZING! It allows for so much more creativity and saves us a ton of headache. The best thing out of this, by far, is the fact we can properly build on uneven terrain now. I don't think we needed the ability to put, for example, Large Storages within each other.

Therefore, my feedback! I think it would be best to change the option "bDisableStructurePlacementCollision" to disable structure collision against the environment only, not against every object. Or at least, add different options to be able to choose how server owners want to disable collision.

For example:
For structures while building: bDisableCollisionPlayerbuildObjects or bDisableCollisionWorldGeometry
For general game-play: bDisableCollisionTamedCreatures or bDisableCollisionWildCreatures

I'm sure you guys get the idea :) Tons of great options here for huge QoL additions! 

I love it. 

1 hour ago, Mitfrey said:

Good day everyone!

For example:

I've not tried out the base game no collision system yet, but if it's anything like the S+ system I agree! It's annoying trying to line stuff up in a row/spread things out evenly when say for example fabricators will merge completely making it a real hit n miss affair trying to get the angle and spacing even between four etc. Although it has led to us being able to build rly tiny bases at the start of a new server!

6 hours ago, Mitfrey said:

Good day everyone!

For example:

If only we can get stackable foundations now, I would be in heaven.

41 minutes ago, Mitfrey said:

Let's stay on topic here. S+ is not relevant to the OP.

I think it is relevant to the topic, because S+ is where a lot of people's expectations of this and how it should work is coming from. I'm very glad WC added this option, as S+ has gotten too involved for my tastes and I already suffer from "engram overload". Using S+ also gave me an idea of potential issues that would stem from this - like placing a storage box then realizing that you can't actually open it because it's clipped too far into something. I'm currently playing on two servers: one (my private server) is using S+, the other (a private RP server) is using the new no-collision option. So, having used both quite a bit, and recently, I agree with you. Being able to further specify collision conditions would avoid a lot of the problems that turning it off completely can cause.

I also agree with the person above me about stackable foundations. Actually, I'd go one further - I'd like to see actual stacking scaffolding pieces.Combined with customizable collision, it could really open up the building possibilities.

13 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

I also agree with the person above me about stackable foundations. Actually, I'd go one further - I'd like to see actual stacking scaffolding pieces.Combined with customizable collision, it could really open up the building possibilities.

Scaffolding pieces would be really nice. Something that ain't properly possible without a better collision system.

Do you mean stackable foundations so we are no longer forced to use ceilings on uneven terrain? 

8 hours ago, Mitfrey said:

Scaffolding pieces would be really nice. Something that ain't properly possible without a better collision system.

Do you mean stackable foundations so we are no longer forced to use ceilings on uneven terrain? 

Partly, yes, but also when building on an overhang, for example. Sometimes you don't want your entire structural integrity to depend on a couple of foundations or, worse, a couple of stacked pillars. I used to build a lot in one particular ruin on the Center. It's the one near the beach on South Jungle almost directly across from South Tropical. It's tricky to ensure that the back end, which was extended over the back of the ruin, was actually being supported should something happen to the front.

On 28/06/2017 at 11:40 AM, Mitfrey said:

Let's stay on topic here. S+ is not relevant to the OP.

It is relevant a lot. 

What you are talking about is possible to enable only on UNOFFICIAL servers. 

Mods like S+, which have been offering the same thing are only usable on UNOFFICIAL servers.

How the raptor is it no relevant ?

Devs basically copied what S+ modder implemented over a year ago.

I run 4 dedicated servers. We all used non collision mods heavily for quite some time. I don't know if its me, but the new "no collision" is not no collision. Can't place into walls, can't place near certain areas where the colliders change. It seems like a welfare setting to say that "we made it no collisions possible".

One would expect no "You can't build here" alerts would happen whatsoever since this is the official setting.

It is so bad to me, I've triple checked the game.ini while its running to make sure it wasn't changing on launch.

Now, if it were as I expected, I would think more settings like the OP described would be great. As of now, meh.

Archived