Console Update: PS4 and Xbox - New ETA: Week of July 3rd

Jatheish

9 minutes ago, Lotus2017 said:

People seem to forget that it is a game that is still in development and that there are bugs to fix, that when an update doesn't arrive at time because of errors that are still in there that it is only a good thing that they want to fix that before it comes out. I really love to play ark, online and offline but get absolutely stressed out about an update being a week late? Nope, it is still a game and those updates WILL come. 

Isn't there a way to inform people about updates right before they are getting released? When you already know for certain that it will be in, let's say, a few hours? 

You are definitely right in that it is a good thing the dev's catch bugs that went otherwise unnoticed until just before the update goes live.  I think the upset, however, is due to expectations being set up by the dev's for the community that go unfulfilled.  With how seriously many players take this game it becomes increasingly frustrating making plans around a schedule that is frequently and unpredictably changed.  Players get upset because they care about this game.  In a way you could see their frustration as a heated form of support... Or not, I guess that's a stretch.

I agree with you, there's not much getting upset helps, but I get why others are frustrated.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gimo said:

You are definitely right in that it is a good thing the dev's catch bugs that went otherwise unnoticed until just before the update goes live.  I think the upset, however, is due to expectations being set up by the dev's for the community that go unfulfilled.  With how seriously many players take this game it becomes increasingly frustrating making plans around a schedule that is frequently and unpredictably changed.  Players get upset because they care about this game.  In a way you could see their frustration as a heated form of support... Or not, I guess that's a stretch.

I agree with you, there's not much getting upset helps, but I get why others are frustrated.

Well that is a good point you have there. If they wouldn't care about the game they also wouldn't get upset about things like an update being late. 

Anyone know when consoles will be getting dynamic bridges because as a guy who loves building over water it would be nice to know when i can build something above the water that dont require pillars.

Also any idea on when the greenhouse glass panels are going to be made see through

As for the update as per usual im just happy that wildcard are actually communicating with it's customer base even if most of us treat the moderators and wildcard staff like poop After all i play some games that don't even have a damn forum let alone one that is constantly active i also play games where console updates are something like once in  a century 7 days to die im looking at you.

all this negativity, be thankful you are living in a world where the most upsetting thing is a patch not being released, whether or not the date is accurate I am grateful for a refined product and not something that's been hashed together.

would you go to your local car dealer and buy a car that has not been reviewed and correctly appraised before sale? the Devs are trying to make sure everything is correct in this patch as per previous patches when there were things missing or wrong. they've listened to the whining and are doing their best and having ago at the Mods wont get anything done.

sit back, relax, do something else maybe? read a book? check your tames? go see what the outside is like for an hour to get some air and just wait to see what happens?

it is frustrating but hey what is life without a few frustrations? deal with it or go play something else, all I hear is first world issues.

1 hour ago, SatansPegasus said:

Anyone know when consoles will be getting dynamic bridges because as a guy who loves building over water it would be nice to know when i can build something above the water that dont require pillars.

Also any idea on when the greenhouse glass panels are going to be made see through?

Dear Devil's Magical Flying Pony (sorry, couldn't resist),

First of all, I am a n00b.  I know it, my forum stats show it, there is no need to mention it or attempt to use it as an insult.  I am fully aware that I am woefully lacking in a lot of information in the game.  What I offer will probably be thrown out as "I already knew that", but I'll mention it anyway.  That being said...

One of my favorite activities right now is taking my Spino out for a swim.  I play on The Center, and I've swam him from blue ob to the far side of the jungle and red ob and back again.  The server I play on is badly, painfully overcrowded, and if it weren't for the generous donation of some land from one of the well-established players, I'd be trying to build my base on a giga spawn.  :(  I mention this because when I say that the islands are all developed on, I mean every. single. island. is built to the point where you can barely see where the outline of the island is supposed to be.  And many of these islands are close enough to each other to have bridges spanning them and the same tribe developing multiple islands close to each other.

Here's where I'm going with all of this.  Sometimes, whether due to gates, or whether due to pillared bridges, I'll come across a waterway that is completely blocked to me and my spino :( and I find myself having to swim clear around the other side of one or more islands.  But I have also come across several bridges that had absolutely NO support under them, and I was able to freely swim under them.  THANK YOU to the players who used this building technique.  Being a n00b on an overdeveloped server, I'm not in a position to be building bridges, but my suspicion is that they used the catwalk engram/blueprint in order to do this, instead of a ceiling.  As mentioned, I may be wrong.  But what I can say for certain is that it CAN be done.  And yes, I'm on a console server.

As for the greenhouse panels, having been in many greenhouses, I can honestly say that they are right the way they are.  Most greenhouses are NOT completely clear, see through glass.  They are cloudy, whether due to humidity or the material they are made of.  On a more ARK related argument, your greenhouse panels aren't made of glass (unless they have that option in SE and I just don't know it).  They are made of crystal.  Having grown up in, and currently living in, an area known for its physical geography, and working in a business that involves a lot of geologists, when I see "crystal" in game, I don't even think twice about it.  It's quartz.  It's not the refined crystal you find in souvenirs and high priced dinnerware.  It's cloudy, often colored, but still beautiful in its own right.  And while certain quartz formations are incredibly clear, the majority are difficult to see through, and are not "glass".  To be honest, as I've been around and in other players' greenhouses, I've never noticed the lack of transparency.  Like I mentioned above, I think they are just about right, just the way they are.  There is *some* transparency to them, but not like a glass window.  Perhaps the better option, if you want truly transparent greenhouse panels, would be something in the Tek stuff.  I don't know... like I mentioned, I'm a n00b to the game and the Tek stuff is still way beyond me.

2 hours ago, MattShack said:

For a game that expects you to manage your time so wisely especially when it comes to breeding it's funny that their times are never right. Maybe don't even advertise a patch until you know for a fact the time it will be ready. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

I acknowledge your point and your perspective.  I understand where you are coming from.  But let me offer a different perspective, and possibly a better solution that the devs could offer to the players.

First of all, I *want* to know about stuff that's going on with the game.  I'd love to see the company offering far more details about what they are attempting to incorporate into the next patch, and doing it much, much sooner.  Do it with enough time to get feedback from the players, and especially in regards to fixing game balance issues, get some alternative ideas on how to address the problem.  DO!!!  ABSOUTELY **DO** ADVERTISE THE PATCHES, AND DO IT LONG, LONG BEFORE THEY ARE READY!!  If there is any group of people out there who best know how to improve the game, **it's the people playing the game**!!  Maybe they already do announce this stuff, and I just don't know where to look, but this has been a game-ending flaw for me in regards to other games.  When the developers ignore or delay working on the issues that matter most to the players, and instead are working on adding new creatures like the Pegomastax (seriously?!), they are signaling for a slow, but inevitable downward spiral in the number of players.  They may be able to hold on and continue for years beyond that, but the game will suffer and the player base will shrink much faster than it would otherwise.  This is not to say that everything a player suggests is golden and should be incorporated.  That would be an even bigger catastrophe, were it possible.  But the players who care enough to be posting their comments and suggestions on the forums (especially the long ones... yes, it's annoying to have to read long posts, but people don't usually spend that much time *writing* the post if they haven't put some time and thought into it already, or if they don't honestly care about and want to support the game.

You say they shouldn't advertise until they know for a fact the time it will be ready.  First of all, they aren't cooking a burger here.  They are troubleshooting a problem in their code.  They can set goals, and give predictions, and having done a great deal of troubleshooting myself, I'll say that they can give themselves a hefty chunk of extra "just in case" time, but there is no way of knowing exactly how long it will take to figure out what is causing the problem.  Once that is figured out, it may be equally impossible to accurately predict (not guess) the amount of time it will take to fix it, as it may require an entire rewrite of portions of the update, forcing them to figure out a new way to do *this* without also affecting *that*.  Second of all, they did exactly what you asked.  They had the patch.  It was done.  It was complete.  It got sent to Sony and Microsoft, and they went over it and gave it their stamp of approval and sent it back.  It. Was. Ready.  In fact, they found the problem in the patch so late in the process that they were afraid it was too late to pull the update and keep it from happening.  Having had to pull back an already announced update, I appreciate the fact that they are keeping us informed about their new deadlines, even if they have been unable to meet them.

There are a lot of other messed up glitches, bugs, and what I call "lazy programming" in the game to be upset about.  What you're complaining about here is essentially too much communication on the part of the developers/company.  Please don't.  :(  I understand you're being frustrated about the changes, and how it affects your plans and schedule for the game, but please don't suggest that they reduce their communication level with us.

1 hour ago, Cassian said:

I acknowledge your point and your perspective.  I understand where you are coming from.  But let me offer a different perspective, and possibly a better solution that the devs could offer to the players.

First of all, I *want* to know about stuff that's going on with the game.  I'd love to see the company offering far more details about what they are attempting to incorporate into the next patch, and doing it much, much sooner.  Do it with enough time to get feedback from the players, and especially in regards to fixing game balance issues, get some alternative ideas on how to address the problem.  DO!!!  ABSOUTELY **DO** ADVERTISE THE PATCHES, AND DO IT LONG, LONG BEFORE THEY ARE READY!!  If there is any group of people out there who best know how to improve the game, **it's the people playing the game**!!  Maybe they already do announce this stuff, and I just don't know where to look, but this has been a game-ending flaw for me in regards to other games.  When the developers ignore or delay working on the issues that matter most to the players, and instead are working on adding new creatures like the Pegomastax (seriously?!), they are signaling for a slow, but inevitable downward spiral in the number of players.  They may be able to hold on and continue for years beyond that, but the game will suffer and the player base will shrink much faster than it would otherwise.  This is not to say that everything a player suggests is golden and should be incorporated.  That would be an even bigger catastrophe, were it possible.  But the players who care enough to be posting their comments and suggestions on the forums (especially the long ones... yes, it's annoying to have to read long posts, but people don't usually spend that much time *writing* the post if they haven't put some time and thought into it already, or if they don't honestly care about and want to support the game.

You say they shouldn't advertise until they know for a fact the time it will be ready.  First of all, they aren't cooking a burger here.  They are troubleshooting a problem in their code.  They can set goals, and give predictions, and having done a great deal of troubleshooting myself, I'll say that they can give themselves a hefty chunk of extra "just in case" time, but there is no way of knowing exactly how long it will take to figure out what is causing the problem.  Once that is figured out, it may be equally impossible to accurately predict (not guess) the amount of time it will take to fix it, as it may require an entire rewrite of portions of the update, forcing them to figure out a new way to do *this* without also affecting *that*.  Second of all, they did exactly what you asked.  They had the patch.  It was done.  It was complete.  It got sent to Sony and Microsoft, and they went over it and gave it their stamp of approval and sent it back.  It. Was. Ready.  In fact, they found the problem in the patch so late in the process that they were afraid it was too late to pull the update and keep it from happening.  Having had to pull back an already announced update, I appreciate the fact that they are keeping us informed about their new deadlines, even if they have been unable to meet them.

There are a lot of other messed up glitches, bugs, and what I call "lazy programming" in the game to be upset about.  What you're complaining about here is essentially too much communication on the part of the developers/company.  Please don't.  :(  I understand you're being frustrated about the changes, and how it affects your plans and schedule for the game, but please don't suggest that they reduce their communication level with us.

I completely agree with this fella right here, like it makes you wonder about sony and microsoft not catching the problem and actually approving something thats not working right, so thx to wildcard for catching it and taking the time to do things proper. And yea that damn pegomastax is a right proper pain in the keester, always stealin my jerky ???

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, EntwinedPuppet said:

I completely agree with this fella right here, like it makes you wonder about sony and microsoft not catching the problem and actually approving something thats not working right, so thx to wildcard for catching it and taking the time to do things proper. And yea that damn pegomastax is a right proper pain in the keester, always stealin my jerky ???

Sony and Microsoft aren't looking for bugs in the game, they are looking for bugs and security issues that would affect Xbox Live and their console.

The bug found by WC was one that affected Ark gameplay only. That's why it was passed by MS Cert.

8 minutes ago, EntwinedPuppet said:

And yea that damn pegomastax is a right proper pain in the keester, always stealin my jerky ???

And on PvE, at least, he's utterly pointless.  He doesn't add to the game, I get no satisfaction out of beating him or even taming him... I can see how he would serve a purpose in PvP, but honestly, he should just be pulled completely from PvE servers.  He's more likely to cause people to rage quit than he is to enhance the game experience.

5 hours ago, Zuesneith said:

They actually can push the release of a game back. Does not matter if it is an official date. 

Doesn't matter if they can or can't. It's bad eithics and it very rarely happens. And it doesn't even matter if you name 20 games that did, compared to the thousands that haven't that definitely says something. That's what will give them a bad name.

and just because they can change it doesn't make it an eta 

11 hours ago, MadTurninator said:

it won't come friday it will be next week with the map . since day 1 of release ark has only released only 1 patch on a friday out of about 10 attempts its always sorry microsoft have gone home for the weekend we can't do nothing tell next week 

new it next week read wildcard like a book

This has gone from "Well at least they caught it" to "What the hell were you going to do to us!?" First it was Wednesday, now you're saying 'Sometime' next week. Just what was the flaw in that patch!?

Also, at this point will you merge it with the promised Ragnarok content or will that be pushed back respectively?

3 minutes ago, SirLohengrin said:

This has gone from "Well at least they caught it" to "What the hell were you going to do to us!?" First it was Wednesday, now you're saying 'Sometime' next week. Just what was the flaw in that patch!?

Also, at this point will you merge it with the promised Ragnarok content or will that be pushed back respectively?

It will probably be merged with another update and Ragnarock, then pushed because that created more bugs....

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived