Does higher character melee damage actually harvest more resources?

chaosguy67

56 minutes ago, Ceranai said:

It is not a rumor, I don't think it helps with berries but it 100% affects what you get when you are mining resources or chopping down wood. Tried and tested many times.

You'd think it affected all gathering, but I guess not.

My bad for not testing with every resource! :( 

EDIT: Tested it with other resources now
Having +500% melee damage gave me only 1-2 extra flint with a metal pick axe on rocks and only 4-6 extra thatch on trees.
Bottom line, yes it helps but only slightly.

Maybe you simply harvest resources faster, but not in greater amounts, like creatures?

1 hour ago, HighFlyer15 said:

You'd think it affected all gathering, but I guess not.

My bad for not testing with every resource! :( 

EDIT: Tested it with other resources now
Having +500% melee damage gave me only 1-2 extra flint with a metal pick axe on rocks and only 4-6 extra thatch on trees.
Bottom line, yes it helps but only slightly.

Maybe you simply harvest resources faster, but not in greater amounts, like creatures?

It stacks, having max melee and good tools makes a big difference. Also faster gathering generally means better gathering :P

It does affect harvesting with tools. This can easily be seen on modded servers where values can be pushed through the roof. Learning these things on modded servers helped me make decisions I've made when playing with friends in vanilla servers. Since difficulty and the level you can attain in vanilla is not that high it makes less impact on resources gained, however.

Previously (before nerf/balances) I had a 200% melee character and when I mindwiped so I could have more fortitude (for surviving winter) then I did notice a great drop in how much metal I collected.

I know there is an upper limit on how much a tree/rock can give out in terms of metal wood whatever, and I'm sure that has been changed again during the post-nerf balancing which could be why people don't notice much of an increase.

I would say if you are new and not taming dinosaurs but have primitive metal tools then  having 200% melee may be beneficial to you but honestly once you get into ank's, dodi's and mammoths you'd be better off putting points in something else (unless you like stabbing things).

• 4 months later...

you only collect a bit more but the difference is you will be faster which results into you farming more resources in a certain time-frame

Player 1 has 100% meele and is able to chop down 20 trees within a certain time

Player 2 has 200% meele and is able to chop down 40 trees in the same time as Player 1 would be able to chop down 10 trees.

This results into you farming "more" wood but you won't collect more from asingle tree. (maybe a few wood)

On January 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM, HighFlyer15 said:

Just a rumor and false :) 

You can test it yourself in Singleplayer mode. Just pick some berries, give yourself 100000 xp, upgrade melee, pick berries and see the difference :) 

Berries are not "melee".  Try this on a rock, or tree.  It absolutely makes a difference.

Also consider, I had a character with upped melee.  I could harvest trees in ONE or TWO swings and be on to the next tree.  If you are doing lots of harvesting, yes, it certainly makes a difference.  

resources gathered per hit (when you have to attack something using hands or tool) are affected by melee damage % and tool dmg % simply because well, its the damage from the hit that actually determine how much resources you get. 

Gathering berries or rocks by hand is not a hit but merely an action (pressing e) and as such is not affected by damage.

Archived