Why devs are inactive on the official forums when...

szabiferi

... they are active on twitter, reddit and god knows how many other new social sites. 

I admit I might be old fashioned, but I find it very awful that developers are very actively posting important information on various forums EXCEPT the official forum here.  They even respond to the people's questions there, while here they rarely appear at all and almost never respond to even civil questions.  (I understand if they silent on rage topics)

I know there are tools like arkdevtracker, but it is a bit disturbing we need to follow various sites to get some useful info in advance. 

Anything we could do to have more developer presence on this OFFICIAL forum? Why we have this forum if the devs dont use it as a communication channel to the public? 

• Volunteer Moderator

They are reading a ton here. Other medias are just faster to get the info out and there is always someone to redirect that info here so it doesn't really matters. The are also posting important info here (check the pinned threads in the general discussion section for example). You can also check the dev tracker if you feel like stalking them: https://arkdevtracker.com/

I mentioned I'm aware of arkdevtracker... the pinned posts are like 10% of the information we are getting at other sources - and nowdays lots of topics here are actually links from reddit, twitter etc. 

And maybe I diont stress enough - I miss the devs activity from the official forums HERE. I would expect the to support their own OFFICIAL communication channel more. 

But again, I  might be alone with this because Im a bit old fashioned and dont really like twitter/reddit/facebook etc... they are just too chaotic for me, who grown up on forums :D

I'm a bit like you I think... maybe a bit older. I guess Twitter and Reddit are the "cooler" things (maybe also just easier to post to? Especially with phone apps etc) so they've got those open more. But yeah, I find it very odd that there's such little interaction and communication here - other than in threads they've started/pinned.

I reckon it's because Twitter is much more public facing, so a potential future customer is much more likely to see chat about ARK on Twitter and possibly have their decision influence by how they see that interaction. This forum, despite being public will have nowhere near as many eyes on it, so from a publicity stand point it makes sense for them to deal with the most public questions first.

I agree with the sentiments here though, I think it's a bit of a joke as well, but I understand why they'd do it. I think forum people would have a limit on that though, Wildcard shoulf be more wary; like if they did something that super peeved people, or ignored something going on on the forum for ages then there's a good chance that people's feeling will spill out to places they think that they'll be heard, like Twitter and review bombs.

Just some musings....

21 minutes ago, thedogowl said:

I reckon it's because Twitter is much more public facing, so a potential future customer is much more likely to see chat about ARK on Twitter and possibly have their decision influence by how they see that interaction. This forum, despite being public will have nowhere near as many eyes on it, so from a publicity stand point it makes sense for them to deal with the most public questions first.

Seems to me like anything remotely popular on there is just impossible to follow without it almost being a full-time job. Sifting through all the tags etc? Seems like it'd be a nightmare. I'd personally treat it as an announcement platform, linking to threads here (which they've been doing for a while in fairness) but not much more. That way you likely increase the visibility of the official forum?

Plus there's the Steam forums which kinda seem like the 'unofficial home' of the PC platform, especially given it originated there. It's all a bit of a mish-mash really, information everywhere - hence the need for that ARKDevTracker some kind soul put together.

• Volunteer Moderator

Yeah it's always been a pet peeve of mine. Really no point to official forums I've seen more info from every other site then this one.

not bashing the devs but i generally get info almost last here. Multiple times I gotta learn info like the titanboa not being tamable or may not be from reddit. And I don't like or even use Reddit. Luckily we have a great community that keeps each other informed. 

I do see devs on the forums and they are reading stuff. I guess they are just busy. And who knows maybe they are here just not logged in. 

Yeah, this has been bottering me for a looong time aswell. I believe they should post ALL their information here and redirect that information to reddit/twitter etc. I dont use any of these sites because I just dont like how they look/work and Im not even that old. Communication is THE one big thing that I dont like about this dev team, they are glorious people with mad skills and ideas but the way they communicate them to us is horrible. I just hope they step up their game when official release hits... 

41 minutes ago, Zederia said:

See? no one knows where to find it (thank you for proving my point ), here: 

That's literally just a sneak peak snippet, not really the patch notes for 260 but OK let's update the patch notes thread with every little snippet of information instead of full patch notes as and when they want us to know about them. 

The devs use these forums and post on these forums on a daily basis, learn to look, it's as simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Tai said:

That's literally just a sneak peak snippet, not really the patch notes for 260 but OK let's update the patch notes thread with every little snippet of information instead of full patch notes as and when they want us to know about them. 

Have you not been around the whole EA? I guess not, they've been putting "snippit" notes up with EACH update directly after they released a "current version"

On 6/26/2017 at 1:59 AM, thedogowl said:

I agree with the sentiments here though, I think it's a bit of a joke as well, but I understand why they'd do it. I think forum people would have a limit on that though, Wildcard shoulf be more wary; like if they did something that super peeved people, or ignored something going on on the forum for ages then there's a good chance that people's feeling will spill out to places they think that they'll be heard, like Twitter and review bombs.

Just some musings....

You're a bit more magnanimous than I am; I always just assumed it was because they wanted to exploit their jobs to inflate their follower counts.

On 6/26/2017 at 4:23 AM, Tai said:

That snippet is not any less detailed than the "a little further out section" they continue to maintain (and erase from).

Archived