Why buy Scorched Earth if Ragnarok is free?

CrackerJackx13

Several comments about providing more money to WC for development.  Kind of strange though.

I love this game.  As of now, SteamSales reports over 5M copies.  That's over $100M that Ark has generated.  That doesn't include any of the console sales.

Do you really think WC is in need of money?  They could all retire right now and live a better life than any of us.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/27/2017 at 10:32 PM, Bunz said:

I would have to say yes.  If you enjoy the free content being pushed out constantly then I think there is nothing wrong with supporting the developers of the game. In addition the 20$ was to help relieve a lawsuit that WildCard had to go through most likely to help the game survie.  http://kotaku.com/ark-survival-evolved-developers-settle-lawsuit-1771234316

thanks for the input. the lawsuit has been over for awhile from what i understood though.

On 2017-6-28 at 0:32 AM, Fisherking said:

Several comments about providing more money to WC for development.  Kind of strange though.

I love this game.  As of now, SteamSales reports over 5M copies.  That's over $100M that Ark has generated.  That doesn't include any of the console sales.

Do you really think WC is in need of money?  They could all retire right now and live a better life than any of us.

Don't forget the cut in sales steam takes, sales, and free copies they have given out, not to mention the 40 Million Dollar lawsuit they paid out and had to release the dlc to stay afloat.

Personally, I love the SE map. I find it beautiful and fun to play on (although those sandstorms know exactly what they can do with themselves...) and if you want the desert theme in a concentrated dose, then SE might be better than Ragnarok as it's much smaller. You also have the lore, if you find that interesting, and the manticore on SE.

We're playing on Ragnarok right now and in my opinion, the wyvern trench on SE is much better designed than the one on Rag. On Rag it's looks rather out of place, being crammed between the volcano and one of the snow areas (don't know the name), while on SE it looks perfectly at home where it is.

Don't take me wrong, I'm really enjoying playing on Rag and as someone else wrote in the thread, all maps have their strong and weak points and I guess which ones you consider strong or weak, is all up to personal preference.   

On 26/06/2017 at 7:43 PM, Flaminraptors said:

Really dont get the people saying 'you should buy it to support the developer', you should only buy it if the map/content appeals to you, simple as that

Personally I bought it for Wyverns and never actually raised one, just go over there to farm silk and cactus sap/sand for my incubation setup now and again, oh and to level up new tames and hit desert drops

So yh it was worth it for me personally fkr those reasons alone but I'd never set up a permanent base over there, prefer the centre massively so have spent the vast majority of my 1900 hours on that map

I couldn't agree more. I'm probably a terrible fan of anything as I'll only buy something if it looks interesting. xD

• 10 months later...

Se has high lvl drops with more interesting gear.  Reds are easy to find on SE and can contain MC rather easily compared to any other map.  The Deep Sea crates are also way easier to hunt, manticore is the easiest farm spot for element and his artifacts are easy to get.  The skins on SE are the best in game, the manticore armor is so awesome looking and the fancy sword and torch look great.  The phoenix only spawns on SE as well and its definitely 1 of the games more useful fliers.  It can go faster then a wyvern, has a non aggro DoT fireball, and works as a natural forge, light, and grill(Better then the base but not as good as the industrial versions).  It craps pearls as well, and can harvest metal if needed.  All that aside i prefer rag, but im glad i have SE

Just ran across this topic and I see it was created last summer before Rag had added the Desert, so interesting time to revist it.  Most people are correct in that if you are just looking at what does it give me vs Rag then yes it will probably disapoint.  That being said on official at least most Rag servers are packed while SE servers are pretty light on the amount of people on them.  A good example is I'm currently playing on a CrossArk Xbox server where your only transferrable locations are between the 5 maps connected to the cluster.  Rag is the most populated with the Center and Island around the same at 2nd.  SE is fairly low pop and Aberration is like 1-2 folks typically;.  We are going to use that opportunity for things like Wyverns, Oil, Silk, Sulfer, salt, etc.  I'm sure glad I own SE for that purpose because Rag is nuts and I'd rather quietly transfer over, get the stuff I need, make a small outpost and then spend most of my time on the Center.  I think Ark is best when you take all the maps as an entire world instead of each map on its own.

[mention=129258]Melcreif[/mention] i agree with you, only change id make is for any taming you have to ditch the story arks, they just dont spawn good dinos.  Rag is definitely the best wyvern egg hunting ground.  2-3 trips and you have a 170+ egg guaranteed compared to SE doing 10+ trips to maybe get a 170
Yeah hopefully we get luckier than that because se seems much more dangerous for hunting for eggs vs rag.

34 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Yeah hopefully we get luckier than that because se seems much more dangerous for hunting for eggs vs rag.

Goodluck, youll need it.  You could still transfer a griffin over to SE if your dead set on egg running there.  I assembled a boss team on SE to kill the manticore, even after i got my own wyvern, it took like a week or 2 to get just 5 more 170+ lightning eggs.  Those days were spent doing egg runs consistently.  Really i find rag more dangerous, extreme elevation change with a lava fall is pretty dangerous, insects are actually a potential threat on rag, the fact the wyverns spawn higher is a blessing and a curse, the only plus is no sandstorm or heatstroke lol

45 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Goodluck, youll need it.  You could still transfer a griffin over to SE if your dead set on egg running there.  I assembled a boss team on SE to kill the manticore, even after i got my own wyvern, it took like a week or 2 to get just 5 more 170+ lightning eggs.  Those days were spent doing egg runs consistently.  Really i find rag more dangerous, extreme elevation change with a lava fall is pretty dangerous, insects are actually a potential threat on rag, the fact the wyverns spawn higher is a blessing and a curse, the only plus is no sandstorm or heatstroke lol

In our case the issue is the pop on Rag is pretty big and alot of the tribes there are less than pleasant.  In contrast there are rarely alot of folks on SE.  Unfortunately due to the nature I've mentioned we don't yet have any Griffins but I'd like to see if we can't get a few.  Too bad you can't breed them Griffins that'd be amazing.  We are just going to go in with some decent Pteri's and make sure to watch out for them pesky lightening Wyverns that can light you up in a heartbeat...

11 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

In our case the issue is the pop on Rag is pretty big and alot of the tribes there are less than pleasant.  In contrast there are rarely alot of folks on SE.  Unfortunately due to the nature I've mentioned we don't yet have any Griffins but I'd like to see if we can't get a few.  Too bad you can't breed them Griffins that'd be amazing.  We are just going to go in with some decent Pteri's and make sure to watch out for them pesky lightening Wyverns that can light you up in a heartbeat...

How about a ice wyvern egg to start?  Doubtful the murder snow is very populated.  It help alot for your egg runs on SE.  Lets not forget you basically have to kill the old wyverns to get new eggs/better eggs.  Guess you could just steal a random egg and use that lol

How about a ice wyvern egg to start?  Doubtful the murder snow is very populated.  It help alot for your egg runs on SE.  Lets not forget you basically have to kill the old wyverns to get new eggs/better eggs.  Guess you could just steal a random egg and use that lol
I like that idea need to get some better fur and maybe add some more fortitude and we'll take a look. Thanks for the idea!

13 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

I like that idea need to get some better fur and maybe add some more fortitude and we'll take a look. Thanks for the idea!

Np, as always if im helpful like my posts lol.  Also phoenix charge faster then wyverns sprint plus they are immune to fire and actually heal a great deal when hit by fire, especially wyvern fire.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

From what i hear even if you unlock rag all the SE engrams/bps are still locked making the wyvern the only rideable SE tame on rag.  You cant craft preserve salts or golem saddles.  It be like the ultimate "look at this, u want it, you know you do but you cant have it." lol

Aren't there spots you can get salt and sulfur? I am aware they are at the most ridiculous place to get in Rag.

17 hours ago, Vaculity said:

Aren't there spots you can get salt and sulfur? I am aware they are at the most ridiculous place to get in Rag.

You can get the resources but you cant create anything with them unless you got SE from what i hear.  You cant craft adobe with cacr sap and clay or preserve salt with salt and sulfer without the engrams which are locked behind the SE DLC

Archived