Patch 259.31: "Brilliant" translators

Shanara99

v259.31

- Fixed some baby dinos eating more in stasis than intended.
- Updated Localizations, thank you brilliant translators!!!!! <3

Aha... so, your translators for the Spanish version are... "brilliant" or so you say. That's why now the stat "comida" is the only one in lowercase, while the rest are in all caps, and the dinos can be set to "vigilance" (Vigilancia, in this patch) instead of "Roaming" (Paseo) as it was before. That's also why almost none of the spanish grammar makes any sense, in particular in relation with sentence structure, and  gendered words. Oh well. Just telling you, guys, the Spanish localization requires some stern talking to, cause said translation is slowly becoming a case of "Blind Idiot Translation" 

you guys are funny, do you even know that all translators work on that in their freetime? and all of them are only humans, and we know humans can make mistakes. when you think you can do that better, you are free to join the project https://crowdin.com/project/ark-survival-evolved

stop complain about that and join the project and help to make translations better

21 minutes ago, Natsu said:

you guys are funny, do you even know that all translators work on that in their freetime? and all of them are only humans, and we know humans can make mistakes. when you think you can do that better, you are free to join the project https://crowdin.com/project/ark-survival-evolved

stop complain about that and join the project and help to make translations better

And why should anyone care if they're working in their freetime...? Is this a valid reason for making mistakes to you? Do you use that often in real life? So many questions...

7 minutes ago, Natsu said:

We know that problem, it is in all languages the same,they working on a fix. und nebenbei die übersetzer bekommen keinen einzigen cent, wir machen das weil wir das spiel lieben und allen ermöglichen wollen es in der jeweiligen sprache zu spielen.

Ich finde das ziemlich erbärmlich von WC, dass Sie obwohl sie 100te Millionen haben nicht bereit sind es selber zu übersetzen, obwohl sie laut Vertrag mit Steam dazu verpflichtet sind.

6 minutes ago, Isho said:

And why should anyone care if they're working in their freetime...? Is this a valid reason for making mistakes to you? Do you use that often in real life? So many questions...

they don´t get any money for their work. without their work there won´t be any translations. so you are a perfect human that don´t make mistakes?

1 minute ago, Xeno1987 said:

Ich finde das ziemlich erbärmlich von WC, dass Sie obwohl sie 100te Millionen haben nicht bereit sind es selber zu übersetzen, obwohl sie laut Vertrag mit Steam dazu verpflichtet sind.

naja das ist halt nunmal leider so,ich finde es auch nicht so pralle aber naja ich mach das jetzt seit fast 2 jahren weil ich einfach anderen spielern helfen möchte.

• Volunteer Moderator
38 minutes ago, Isho said:

Given English taxonomy, grammar, and syntax errors Americans have, I'm more than inclined to think that mistakes do occur "that often in real life". Off the top of my head some common errors are as follows :

- Using 'than' when the proper word to use is 'then'

- Using 'rouge' when people mean to spell 'rogue'

- 'For all intensive purposes'

- 'Peak one's interest'

- 'I could care less' when referring to how little someone cares about something.

- 'tongue and cheek'

What I'm basically saying is, for the work that they've done and the language of the world we all live in, I'm more than accepting of the occasional mistake that is made.

16 minutes ago, Natsu said:

thanks for some nice words :) i put nearly 2 years in that now and most people only can complain when some things aren´t perfect, but only a few say thank you.

But most people that don't tell anything think : "This is not perfect but some people take their time to translate to let me having more time to play. So thank you !" ;)

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

- 'For all intensive purposes'

Well, poop, I thought it was "for all intensive porpoises" (Kidding)  

39 minutes ago, Housatonic said:

Can't anyone sign up to provide translations? In which case, anyone doing anything other than signing up and providing translations themselves has no right to comnplain that others did put in the time and effort.

Wait! I took 5 years of Spanish in school! Can I be useful? (Not really please don't ask me to speak spanish) 

Sorry to bear bad news, but WC is a business, if a part of it isn't meeting expectations by the customers, the business suffers. If this program isn't working WC should adjust it. It's not to blame the kind folks that spend their time assisting with the program, the issue may lie in the program itself. Translation isn't that difficult, if customers complain about it, then there is most likely a real issue. I mean how often to people complain about company translations? Not that often I suggest. Once again, the hard work is much appreciated, but perhaps WC needs to redirect that hard work to more successful ends.

And thanks for mentioning the faux pas phrase 'I could care less', that drives me crazy when people use it. lol

5 hours ago, Shanara99 said:

v259.31

- Fixed some baby dinos eating more in stasis than intended.
- Updated Localizations, thank you brilliant translators!!!!! <3

Aha... so, your translators for the Spanish version are... "brilliant" or so you say. That's why now the stat "comida" is the only one in lowercase, while the rest are in all caps, and the dinos can be set to "vigilance" (Vigilancia, in this patch) instead of "Roaming" (Paseo) as it was before. That's also why almost none of the spanish grammar makes any sense, in particular in relation with sentence structure, and  gendered words. Oh well. Just telling you, guys, the Spanish localization requires some stern talking to, cause said translation is slowly becoming a case of "Blind Idiot Translation" 

About "comida" localization, we are looking into it. Because it is in uppercase in our files, but it looks in lowercase in-game. We are investigating about that.

About the translation of “wandering”, there isn't an exact translation in Spanish (for the ARK context/use), so half community thinks it should be "vigilancia" and other half community thinks it should be "Paseo". Make happy the whole community is almost impossible, and I asked a lot of people before translate this string.

If you aren't happy with some translations, you can help us in https://crowdin.com/translate/ark-survival-evolved/ You will be completely welcome.

Best regards, Jonatan Martín, aka Neizan

2 hours ago, Neizan said:

About "comida" localization, we are looking into it. Because it is in uppercase in our files, but it looks in lowercase in-game. We are investigating about that.

About the translation of “wandering”, there isn't an exact translation in Spanish (for the ARK context/use), so half community thinks it should be "vigilancia" and other half community thinks it should be "Paseo". Make happy the whole community is almost impossible, and I asked a lot of people before translate this string.

If you aren't happy with some translations, you can help us in https://crowdin.com/translate/ark-survival-evolved/ You will be completely welcome.

Sure, Neizan. I have joined, and I've started proposing new translations and downvoting plenty of REALLY bad translations. My point there was that previos versions had better translations, somehow. 

As I live in spain, I can tell you right now that there IS a perfect translation for "Wandering": errando. You could also use some other pedantic constructions, such as "vagando libremente" or something like that. "Paseando" would be the right option, giving the situation. 

Which brings me to the next point. Crowdin system REALLY doesn't work for the Spanish version, at the very least. Plenty of time, the same word in English could be the infinitive version of a verb, or the reflexive version of the same verb in Spànish. You not only need the context provided (the command) but the situation, as well. The same happens for plurals, definite article vs undefinite articles, gender, and some other stuff. I have already joined crowdin, but the point remains: it's a bad system for the Spanish translation.

Furthermore, there are some specifics of the Spanish language that will vary wildly between south American and European Spanish.  So, while I understand that you guys are doing your best, in providing a translation by the community, which would alleviate the issue of having said translation performed by someone who has no idea about the game, I also would prefer if you guys added some more information about when some commands are used. Most of the entries are easy enough to translate, such as the explorer notes. They just require time. But some others do require extra information for a proper translation, as well as some guidelines on what should we use to address the problem of singular vs plural . For instance, there's such a problem in the sentences for items being stolen by pegomasta: in English the entry states "your", which can be both plural and singular in Spanish, in this particular situacion (20 berries would be plural, a sword would be singular). So, guidelines on how to address this issue would be nice, so the translation gains consistency.

Thanks for your response.

2 hours ago, Neizan said:

Many thanks Neizan for the free work that you are putting into this.

As many think in the wrong way let me explain to you. In first place ARK where not going to be localized to all idioms. Thanks to people like Neizan they have now strings localized to the native language of many people.

It's a work or hobby but like a modder they are not paid for this, so at least you should thank them for the free work or play the game in english as is the language in which it have been designed.

"Muchas gracias Jonatan, por el trabajo que estáis poniendo en este proyecto.

Al igual que Jeremy yo tambien pienso que sois brillantes porque pocas personas podrian seguir adelante recibiendo criticas a la calidad de un trabajo que ni se han parado a valorar en un primer momento.

Muchas gracias de parte de todos los que no pueden o quieren jugar el juego en otro idioma, (yo lo juego en ingles porque empece desde el principio y se me ha adaptado el cerebro a conceptos como engram, raid, y ciertas cosas y luego me cuesta con mi idioma nativo (¿curioso no?)

Regards.

4 minutes ago, VIKAS said:

Muchas gracias de parte de todos los que no pueden o quieren jugar el juego en otro idioma, (yo lo juego en ingles porque empece desde el principio y se me ha adaptado el cerebro a conceptos como engram, raid, y ciertas cosas y luego me cuesta con mi idioma nativo (¿curioso no?)

Regards.

Funny enough, engram does exist in Spanish =P "Engrama" it's a technical psychological word, related to memory. It was created by Semons, over 100 years ago, and "popularized" by Tulving, in the 70s. It is a technical term, but the right one.

Just now, Shanara99 said:

Funny enough, engram does exist in Spanish =P "Engrama" it's a technical psychological word, related to memory. It was created by Semons, over 100 years ago, and "popularized" by Tulving, in the 70s. It is a technical term, but the right one.

Lo que me hace pensar que tras leer varias intervenciones tuyas, o has estudiado la lengua de una manera extensiva o tienes un conocimiento muy profundo de la misma.

Me parece genial que les ayudes a introducir expresiones propias nuestras dentro del juego, pero te soy sincero no sabia que engrama existía de manera oficial hasta que tu me lo has dicho. Y eso es culpa mía por no leer lo suficiente pero no voy a divagar mas, solo trataba de decir que aunque la traducción puede mejorar, al menos gracias a ellos tenemos algo sobre lo que empezar a mejorar. Muchas gracias por todo y siento si te has sentido ofendido.

Saludos.

2 minutes ago, VIKAS said:

Lo que me hace pensar que tras leer varias intervenciones tuyas, o has estudiado la lengua de una manera extensiva o tienes un conocimiento muy profundo de la misma.

Me parece genial que les ayudes a introducir expresiones propias nuestras dentro del juego, pero te soy sincero no sabia que engrama existía de manera oficial hasta que tu me lo has dicho. Y eso es culpa mía por no leer lo suficiente pero no voy a divagar mas, solo trataba de decir que aunque la traducción puede mejorar, al menos gracias a ellos tenemos algo sobre lo que empezar a mejorar. Muchas gracias por todo y siento si te has sentido ofendido.

Saludos.

Oh, si, conozco el idioma a la perfección, Siempre me ha gustado la gramática, y, como digo, es mi lengua materna. Engrama la conozco por mi carrera: psicología. No te preocupes, no estoy ofendida.

Archived