Revert the player speed nerf.

Pogue1995

Look, my play style is based around speed, in fact half my points go into it, but even I will agree that it's kind of ridiculous just how fast you can make your character. As much as this will cripple my gameplay, I agree that this is a more realistic and need balance. Just be thankfully they didn't nerf it to the no tame speed increase, which is what I expected. Imagine putting 90 points into speed just to be at 130%...

Speed especially for players has been a pretty broken stat from the get go and one of the few nerfs I agree with. (That and clubs, now just need knockback to be tweaked, a bronto propelling a human across the island with its tail makes sense, but something the size of a thorny dragon getting shoved around by a raptor is dumb.)

2 minutes ago, Zederia said:

"unrealstic" yea.. cause riding on top of a T-Rex is VERY realistic? How about riding atop of giga? this is a FANTASY game. it's not supposed to be "realistic"

Your a person dropped into some sort of experiment with genetically engineered creatures. That's the fantasy. But your still HUMAN. I don't know about you, but I really doubt I could outrun the vast majority of creatures, real or fantasy.

4 minutes ago, Zederia said:

"unrealstic" yea.. cause riding on top of a T-Rex is VERY realistic? How about riding atop of giga? this is a FANTASY game. it's not supposed to be "realistic"

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

I can shove my brother and others twice my size by just using my speed. how is it dumb, exactly, that a fast predator can move something a bit bulky?

How can you scream its not supposed to be realistic and then use realism in you're next argument? Lol

Just now, ZyraSeedling said:

Your a person dropped into some sort of experiment with genetically engineered creatures. That's the fantasy. But your still HUMAN. I don't know about you, but I really doubt I could outrun the vast majority of creatures, real or fantasy.

good thing I'M not the one in the game. and it's instead a fake person who can build up to anything they want? (side-note: over time I'm sure I could)

24 minutes ago, Zederia said:

I can shove my brother and others twice my size by just using my speed. how is it dumb, exactly, that a fast predator can move something a bit bulky?

Because the difference in mass between the raptor and thorny is much greater than between yours and your brother's. So you can get shoved by him but the thorny would stay rooted. Not to mention your center of balance is higher thus much less stable.

That said I am alright with the nerf. But they should let us respec our dinos at some point, because now that speed isnt as good many of us would rather invest points in other things.

2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Because the difference in mass between the raptor and thorny is much greater than between yours and your brother's. So you can get shoved by him but the thorny would stay rooted. Not to mention your center of balance is higher thus much less stable.

That said I am alright with the nerf. But they should let us respec our dinos at some point, because now that speed isnt as good many of us would rather invest points in other things.

Yeah, it's pretty sucky that many dinos are useless because we cannot get the points back ? respec for dinos would be great (even tho that's LOTS of redoing points across all dinos.)

People need to understand that people will spec for only speed ONLY know what that means? They're squishy af and cant do anything but run. You all need to stop crying that they're too fast for you to shot. Get a better aim simple don't spray them and cry because you can hit them.

Anyways if Wildcard can please revert the change it would be great. Thanks

1 minute ago, Pogue1995 said:

People need to understand that people will spec for only speed ONLY know what that means? They're squishy af and cant do anything but run. You all need to stop crying that they're too fast for you to shot. Get a better aim simple don't spray them and cry because you can hit them.

Anyways if Wildcard can please revert the change it would be great. Thanks

Lmfao, I saw a meme in my head as I finished this comment.

On a serious note though, this is a great change... it would be a shame... if someone... reverted it...

I seriously doubt they will change this back, and I do agree with @DeZiLL313 it would be a shame if they took a step back.

I can understand where you come from @Pogue1995, cause I brought this up the day after the update came out. An I they still have yet to change it and I have think I can understand why they will not changed it back to the way it was before. Cause people are pouring so many points into the speed of the flying tames, cause they want to travel fast to another point. However there are some people that build up above the trees tops and you have this tame flying so fast that the building is unable to render in before it gets to the point where it can turn. An that tame and you are getting shot out of the air by the base's defenses, or there is the other situation. Were this tame is flying so fast that the game is not able to render the environment in to match the speed, so the game struggles to keep up and eventually crashes, and you wind up falling to your death and the tame glitches out of the game. So in order to fix this issue, Wildcard came up with a solution and they nerfed the speed. It is a sad fact in deed but I bet they felt it was in the best interest for the game and community.

For as a modern society we do not retreat in our ways, we advance to bigger and better things. An I bet Wildcard thinks the same way, in their thinking.

I prefer land tames more than anything, out of all my 25 tames I have one flying and that is a Tapejara and it was tamed at level 89, and it speed came out to be 282.3%. An the server I am on there is no adjustments to the movement speed in the server stats.

14 minutes ago, Zederia said:

except the wanted land creatures to be more relevant, and then made them irrelevant again

4 minutes ago, DragonWarlord1987 said:

I prefer land tames more than anything, out of all my 25 tames I have one flying and that is a Tapejara and it was tamed at level 89, and it speed came out to be 282.3%. An the server I am on there is no adjustments to the movement speed in the server stats.

I did too, I liked my rex, then they nerfed that too. (quote ironic..) and a tapejara is not a 282% mount, it's 135%, I'm pretty sure

5 minutes ago, Zederia said:

I did too, I liked my rex, then they nerfed that too. (quote ironic..) and a tapejara is not a 282% mount, it's 135%, I'm pretty sure

I am just saying that is what my tamed out to be, I don't know why but it did. Brought it up to my admins and they said they got ones that have the same movement speed. lol

But I am thinking about it right now, I don't have the game open at the moment.

1 hour ago, DragonWarlord1987 said:

For as a modern society we do not retreat in our ways, we advance to bigger and better things. An I bet Wildcard thinks the same way, in their thinking.

A dangerous creed.  Stop and look carefully at the world around you, and you may see why.

But to poke a big hole in this:  you cannot use the argument, "It's not supposed to be realistic - it's a game,"  or, "It shouldn't be this way, because it's not realistic."  It is a ridiculous, senseless argument from either side - a game can be whatever its creators want it to be.  If an element of a game is causing it to be in such a way that is opposite to the wishes of the master, then it is in the master's right to change it as seen fit.  It is easy to see why incredible movement speed can create an undesirable effect, and it has been changed, for better or worse.  In my opinion, it leans towards "better."

I will say, however, that if you look at modern games, the "better" ones tend to be those that try to mimic reality as close as possible, within the set limitations of the game world.  Let me try to explain:  Ark is a game where an otherwise average human is plopped into a mysterious world where there are extinct and/or fictional creatures.  Many of them can be tamed, and ridden.  Therefore, it is not unrealistic looking from within the boundaries of the game world to ride on the back of a tyrannosaurus your character has tamed. Certainly, in the real world, that would be highly unlikely.  Because, however, the player character is simply an average human, being able to run at speeds like the Flash is senseless even from within the boundaries set forth by the game world (in spite of the fact that it was possible).

To go a little further, if we were instead talking about playing Battlefield 2, and a patch went in which introduced a rideable pteranodon, that would not be sensible within that game's world - it takes place in roughly the modern era, wherein there are no pteranodons, and furthermore, the pterasaurs we know of could not even likely support the weight of a human rider on their back to begin with.  Alter the concept of the game world to introduce some kind of time warp or mad science experiment reviving pteranodons, and it suddenly becomes more reasonable.  Anything can be plausible in the world with adequate manipiulation of the game world's "rules."

Archived