Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

yes, back to topic

as i posted before, the "1 mindwipe per level" mechanic is ok.

But when it comes to LvL115, it doesn't work there anymore for obvious reasons.

Someone came up with a XP loss somewhere in this thread. that's something that would work out. if you are 115 and there is some reason to mindwipe... go down to LvL114.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Zayisha said:

yes, back to topic

as i posted before, the "1 mindwipe per level" mechanic is ok.

But when it comes to LvL115, it doesn't work there anymore for obvious reasons.

Someone came up with a XP loss somewhere in this thread. that's something that would work out. if you are 115 and there is some reason to mindwipe... go down to LvL114.

I very strongly agree here. I like this idea much better than cd or extra expense. If you wanna spam the item you get to enjoy spending time killing things to level back up again. Not sure about the penalty being a full lvl but still much better then the alternative.

1 hour ago, Lumitesi said:

And they have tried costly re-specs and eventually learned that flexible character customization only adds to a game :)

So Ark devs have got the choice of making the same mistakes or learning from someone else's. Seems like they wanna taste how it feels making those mistakes instead of avoiding them.

Sometimes personal experience is the way to go

I use mindwipe to change my engrams, I figured out the best combination of stats for my style of play awhile ago. A 7 day cool down would be fair and it would slow down people that are being accused of abusing something that the devs added to the game. There is also another solution, why not cut the cost of engram points for each engram in half? I'm sure at least one person here will think that is a terrible idea and I'm fine with that as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for the devs to just jump up and take an action that punishes players that have embraced the very title of the game they are playing... well that kinda sorta bothers me. ARK: Survival Evolved... the very name of the game tells you the key to being successful... you need to evolve your game play to survive. This isn't the first time the devs have decided to change the rules in the middle of the game, but it is about time that they stopped. They created a game and players came running, some of those players figured out the game quickly, they "evolved", and their tasks in game became easier. Well the devs saw this and decided that it was too easy so they changed things thinking it would make it harder and it did for a time. So the players evolved again and adapted to the changes, now here we are... every time we figure out a way to play that doesn't break the game or take advantage of an exploit the devs look down on us from their ivory tower and say "no, you're making things to easy".

I have no idea what they have against us "evolving", maybe they have a whole store full of micro-transactions just waiting to be released? Kinda hard to encourage people to pay real money for a game if they've figured out how to play it. Maybe they just don't like the fact that the game isn't as hard as they thought it should be. The point is I honestly don't know why they feel the need to constantly take things away from players that have paid their dues and truth be told I doubt we will ever really know the reason for any of it. One thing I have noticed they seem to enjoy pitting the players against each other. That is becoming clear just from their issue with pillars, but that is a topic on another thread. The facts in this one are simple... you can offer a solution that would solve the whole problem but it won't stop them from doing what they want to do.

So I had a test of this in game just now, and seems to work like a check-box system.

Once you use mindwipe at a particular level, you can never use it again at that level. But because mindwipe's inherent mechanic is to change your level, it gets silly.

So for example, you use it at 75, and mindwipe drops you to level 1. You then add stats till you are up to level 50 and use it again. You are back to level 1. Now both level 75 and 50 have been checked off as having used mindwipe, so you can no longer use mindwipe at those particular two levels.

So even if you are maxed level, you can still use mindwipe 100 or so times (whatever the level cap happens to be), but you just have to stop applying stats at the right level, and I assume, keep track of the levels you have already used it on.

With that sorted, I have to ask... Why did you choose to make the system in this way?
It's seems like a very complicated and silly way to solve the problem of players using mindwipe over and over.
As other people have said, a long cool-down timer would have been much more effective, and acceptable to players. And, you already have item timer code in place.

Just kinda leaves me dumbfounded.

12 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

They can cry... does any other game give you the freedom to respec at will without a cost?  My god I love this game but I hate the entitlement of its fanbase "waaaaah give me this, give me that... waaaaahhh" seriously some people just wasn't imprinted right.

Yes.  Several MMO's allow for free or minimal cost respec- The Old Republic comes to mind.  In addition, any MMO with any sort of gear system allows you to change your stats WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR GEAR.  So, short answer- yes, there are other games; and no, this isn't the community being "entitled", it's a matter of fact that people will make mistakes leveling up and there should be a system in place to correct them.  I am in complete agreement with the idea of there being a cooldown on reusing it- but to say people that have reached 100 have only ONE respec left is absurd.

9 minutes ago, Xeeta said:

Yes.  Several MMO's allow for free or minimal cost respec- The Old Republic comes to mind.  In addition, any MMO with any sort of gear system allows you to change your stats WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR GEAR.  So, short answer- yes, there are other games; and no, this isn't the community being "entitled", it's a matter of fact that people will make mistakes leveling up and there should be a system in place to correct them.  I am in complete agreement with the idea of there being a cooldown on reusing it- but to say people that have reached 100 have only ONE respec left is absurd.

Sure hope you don't put 100 levels into food by accident then. 

Every mmo I have played has forced a cost on respec, some manageable some insanely over priced. The only one with a fine balance is eso as it costs 100septim per point you respect. That's fine at say level 50 but get into the high CR and your looking at hundreds of thousands. Logic? Because by then you should know what direction your build has taken and what best suits it, same with this game. At level 100 unless you've cheated your way to it by using a tribes grinders, you should know what role you wish to play. Never should you be able to chop and change depending on how you feel as it simply eliminates any survival aspect of a survival game. 

Its only absurd if you ignore the fact it's a survival game. 

The mindwipe thing has potential to be needed. What is stupid, is introducing an overhaul on a stat like crafting speed to crafting skill and then making it so people that are already level capped don't have a way to try it out and then are FORCED to use their ONE mindwipe to revert back to what they had. If anything this change to mindwipes should have been introduced in a later patch so that people had some time to experiment with this new stat.

13 hours ago, Sphere said:

I would like to have a word to the people who think that this is a great idea. You're basically telling the developers that it's okay to screw you over in the later game. You paid money to get screwed over by a bad game mechanic, and then white knight Wildcard and defend the bad decision.

another big problem is people are mind wiping before a raid to stack certain stats.

35 minutes ago, Vladimir367 said:

The mindwipe thing has potential to be needed. What is stupid, is introducing an overhaul on a stat like crafting speed to crafting skill and then making it so people that are already level capped don't have a way to try it out and then are FORCED to use their ONE mindwipe to revert back to what they had. If anything this change to mindwipes should have been introduced in a later patch so that people had some time to experiment with this new stat.

But we all got reverted back to lvl 1...they DID give us a free respec. So basically all the maxed players get 2 chances to spec themselves, effectively allowing even the maxed players to try out the new crafting stat. So your complaint is void really.

Unless I'm wrong, but it's not like you used a mindwipe tonic for the 'free' respec...

Either way, I'm not one of those folks who used a mindwipe often. But I also don't see a reason for this limit either...what was wrong with someone needing to go through the effort to craft mindwipes to respec? Why was it an issue if someone respeced on the fly? I just don't get it...was this yet again another PVP balance because some people kept juking people in raids? They'd die, and come back respeced to something different than what they saw (even though to me that would have zero impact because there's not really a varied 'raid' build other than pumping health, speed, and stam...). I just don't get it...I didn't see the value in mindwipes until I read this thread. Now I feel bad for the solo players who needed to fulfill different roles to make it more efficient for themselves and also realized now I missed out on an opportunity to better my playstyle (respecing for bossfights, respeccing for farming or building, etc. etc.).

Giving it a cooldown, or heck even making it so the mats required ot maek a tonic were WAY tougher would have been a better solution I feel.

So now I'm left with one question....why?

46 minutes ago, Morticielle said:

Yep. They did it because nobody went into tek cave except a dozen hardcore pve'rs ...

Then they should change the tek cave mechanic. No sane survivor who breeded his 20 more than boss rex for probably over half a year (as a 2 man tribe like we are one) will sacrifice them for the try of the possibility to grind another few million xp... 

I see why people refuse to do the tek cave. Because its like the bosses, insane to impossible. 

2 minutes ago, Ulta said:

But we all got reverted back to lvl 1...they DID give us a free respec. So basically all the maxed players get 2 chances to spec themselves, effectively allowing even the maxed players to try out the new crafting stat. So your complaint is void really.

Unless I'm wrong, but it's not like you used a mindwipe tonic for the 'free' respec...

Either way, I'm not one of those folks who used a mindwipe often. But I also don't see a reason for this limit either...what was wrong with someone needing to go through the effort to craft mindwipes to respec? Why was it an issue if someone respeced on the fly? I just don't get it...was this yet again another PVP balance because some people kept juking people in raids? They'd die, and come back respeced to something different than what they saw (even though to me that would have zero impact because there's not really a varied 'raid' build other than pumping health, speed, and stam...). I just don't get it...I didn't see the value in mindwipes until I read this thread. Now I feel bad for the solo players who needed to fulfill different roles to make it more efficient for themselves and also realized now I missed out on an opportunity to better my playstyle (respecing for bossfights, respeccing for farming or building, etc. etc.).

Giving it a cooldown, or heck even making it so the mats required ot maek a tonic were WAY tougher would have been a better solution I feel.

So now I'm left with one question....why?

You clearly misread, or misunderstood, what I am getting at. They gave us one free B. Okay cool, what if I want to do a crafting heavy spec so that I can see what it's like? I still need my other stats and I need to find a good balance because I don't know the effectiveness of this new stat other than what the patch notes say. But what the patch notes say versus implementing and testing its ACTUAL effectiveness are far different things. It's going to take a few tries before you find a good blend for a new stat that also leave you with enough points for the other stats. Now, I get one shot to test it because I want to see what it's like at its fullest. Then I'd want to work it into a proper build if it feels viable. Even though I'm  level 1, if I level to 90 and stop that doesn't give me 10 more mindwipes cause my experience is capped and they don't stack. I can't go to 90, respec, try it, go to 91, respec try it, 92 respec, try it so on and so forth. I get ONE shot to see how it works and then I am forced to use my one single respec because I am already lvl 100 to work it into a build with other stats.

2 minutes ago, Vladimir367 said:

You clearly misread, or misunderstood, what I am getting at. They gave us one free B. Okay cool, what if I want to do a crafting heavy spec so that I can see what it's like? I still need my other stats and I need to find a good balance because I don't know the effectiveness of this new stat other than what the patch notes say. But what the patch notes say versus implementing and testing its ACTUAL effectiveness are far different things. It's going to take a few tries before you find a good blend for a new stat that also leave you with enough points for the other stats. Now, I get one shot to test it because I want to see what it's like at its fullest. Then I'd want to work it into a proper build if it feels viable. Even though I'm  level 1, if I level to 90 and stop that doesn't give me 10 more mindwipes cause my experience is capped and they don't stack. I can't go to 90, respec, try it, go to 91, respec try it, 92 respec, try it so on and so forth. I get ONE shot to see how it works and then I am forced to use my one single respec because I am already lvl 100 to work it into a build with other stats.

Right, okay. My bad for not completely understanding.

Though I did read that you CAN do that trick you mentioned, with the whole level up only to 90, use a tonic, respec to a DIFFERENT level, respec...you actually can do that according to someone else who tried it. How creditable it was though is still being determined.

If they are right though, then it IS possible...but in my opinion (and probably yours), it's a silly way to test it...especially for official people, and also cause you are 'using up' a level just for testing. I'm on my own server so I can test it well enough if I wanted. But it was silly of WC to think this could be tested well from a playerbase that was most likely already max level. =\

12 minutes ago, Kushoholic said:

Then they should change the tek cave mechanic. No sane survivor who breeded his 20 more than boss rex for probably over half a year (as a 2 man tribe like we are one) will sacrifice them for the try of the possibility to grind another few million xp... 

I see why people refuse to do the tek cave. Because its like the bosses, insane to impossible. 

you can do the tek cave with 0 dinos and minimal gear....its quite easy

ghillie, bug spray, cactus broth, pheromone darts and parachutes..

the hard part is getting the boss trophies and the damn leeds blubber.

2 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Sure hope you don't put 100 levels into food by accident then. 

Every mmo I have played has forced a cost on respec, some manageable some insanely over priced. The only one with a fine balance is eso as it costs 100septim per point you respect. That's fine at say level 50 but get into the high CR and your looking at hundreds of thousands. Logic? Because by then you should know what direction your build has taken and what best suits it, same with this game. At level 100 unless you've cheated your way to it by using a tribes grinders, you should know what role you wish to play. Never should you be able to chop and change depending on how you feel as it simply eliminates any survival aspect of a survival game. 

Its only absurd if you ignore the fact it's a survival game. 

Thank you for that.  You essentially corroborated what I said.  A manageable cost to respecialization- something Ark already had in place.  MMO's did not put a cooldown on respec'ing- and any restrictions were zone-limited, i.e. you cannot respec in the middle of a PVP match.  That being said, a survival game means that you are expected to survive- to ADAPT to changing conditions and challenges.  Simple as that- but you keep trolling threads because that's literally all that I have ever seen you do here.

actually thats a good point made by someone on steam forums. limiting mind wipe to 1 per level is very restrictive. wouldnt another good idea have been making it over the top expensive? you end up with a similar situation where it costs too much to make.

make it need like 5k of each vege, 20k narcotics, 20k stimulants, 100k fiber and 50k mejo berries. 

that will slow its liberal use down.

edit: infact, if you wanted to go even further, add 20k bio toxin for poops and giggles.

37 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

you can do the tek cave with 0 dinos and minimal gear....its quite easy

ghillie, bug spray, cactus broth, pheromone darts and parachutes..

the hard part is getting the boss trophies and the damn leeds blubber.

Ok yeah, you're right on the tek cave. But the chances to survive that are low. And I guess it will take no time until you no longer can use parachutes in the cave, because its not meant to beat the cave this way...

But atm, you're right, BUT to do the bosses you need those bossrex's. And even with those bossrex's its not guaranteed to win the bossfight if you do it legit. So you still need to invest weeks of your personal time for unbalanced boss fights for trophys for unbalanced tek cave attempts for the opportunity of making your earned xp after you hit max "usefull" again. 

Too much effort for more effort. I prefer staying 100 with that 1 mindwipe try and if it fails, i just make an alter and go to our XP station with xp boosts. 

They only make the situation worse in the sad attempt to bring players to do the tekcave. 

15 hours ago, Sphere said:

So does that mean that once I reach level 100, I have to now do tek caves to mindwipe again? What is this stupid crap? =w=

for level 100 tribes it means that one account will get designated Master Builder, and everyone else will likely build according to the needs of all the tribes played maps. eg 300 health, 500 carry, 40 forti, the rest discretionary points. Not really a big deal.

side benefit promoting tribing up, or inter-tribe cooperation. adds trade value to items above what they were before. does limit solo/antisocial people tho.

Archived