Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

1 minute ago, powerstuck said:

So you agree that the choice you make today for bosses, might not be good tomorrow because they tweak bosses and you are stuck sucking and not doing bosses because of your past choice ? 

Seriously I can name 10 of you guys who would defend devs if they canceled the project now and turned off all official servers. Every change that gets criticism you guys are up on your horses defending its justified. 

Nah I wouldn't want them to do that. I am fine with fresh servers

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Nah I wouldn't want them to do that. I am fine with fresh servers

Yeah if they wipe, I'm actually thinking of opening a cluster server with Ryzen 1800X and 64 GB of DDR4 ram. :P

But that's off-topic.

Right now, it would be great if they would let us discuss this and have a say about the future of the game, since we are the players here. Simply offloading better play to unofficial servers isn't the answer.

this is not good. at level 100 we must use mind wipe to rebalance our character for movement speed or crafting speed and then we're screwed.

no more mind wipe. not until you find a way to cheese tek cave or gamma bosses.

we should work on improving the logic behind mindwipe tonic.

in most games nowadays they do away with stats level up, and instead put a basic stats on character and bonuses on equipment.

another approach will maybe allow mindwipe to be used once per duration, or made available only through loot crates in caves, and they last for at most 1 hour.

or finally, make mindwipe tonic an micro-purchase item. do not underestimate the power of a price tag. even at 2 dollars there will be people hesitating to pay for it

6 hours ago, GP said:

Deciding on your level up should require thinking and consideration, its about strategy. Doing mind wipe 10 times a day to make your tasks easier is another very good reason for this change.

So if I put 100 HP Into my character I can for all future forget about doing bosses.. or if I put 1000 into it I can forget about doing crafting or carrying much... this is by far the least sensible action from WC so far even beyond the flyer nerf.

This is a massive gaming killing change, very many players wont even get to the point where they can do bosses or when they do they may find their characters completely unsuited for it, in a game that can best be described as a hellish and tedious grind that means many will opt for another game rather then regrind 100 levels.

There is also zero strategy in it, its just limiting game enjoyment and for many outright killing it. Now you have to chose your role and stick to it and have content limited or completely out of reach. It will likely end up at some point with a cookie cutter character build that can do a little of everything but nothing good.

Is this a foolish attempt at getting people to tribe up to fill roles ? if so it will also fail, the way to get people to tribe up is to make the existing structures and dinos 100% safe from the new members, I will never ever allow anyone I do not know very very well access to any of my 700+ dinos on 3 servers.

The game is full of people that did that once only to regret it, trust no one in this or any game that you just met.

5 hours ago, BobRoss said:

What do you mean with this? If you meant PvP and PvE than yes i do think they are seperate game modes that require seperate distinct rules and maybe even difficulties items etc. What has this got to do with it?

I used the mindwipe freely in the past, sometimes a couple wipes a day/week depending on what i was doing. But thats exactly why I like this change, it felt like cheating.

'Oh I need pearls, well forget taking a dino, let me just spec 1000k in oxy and swim'

'Oh I want to build, let me just spec everything into weight and crafting speed'

'Oh I want to make some better recipes, let me just ...' You know where i'm going. It didnt require any commitment or thought because you could just undo it anyway. 

And you are wrong, ARK does have 'classes', they are just invisible. And by adding the Classes mod to the mod program I'm kinda inclined to think ARK wants more distinct and more niche classes.

What I get from this is "I [ab]used mindwipe, and it felt like cheating; so [despite the fact that it also probably helped me learn how the different attributes work and interact with each other] I don't think people should have that opportunity anymore."

I understand the need to reduce the abuse of mindwipe; it is likely hard-to-impossible to balance bosses, caves, etc... when there are lots of players steamrolling them with character builds tailored for the challenge (and infeasible outside of it) that they can reset immediately afterwards to be feasible. However, all it takes to prevent that abuse is to give it a 1 (or 2) week cooldown. Running a boss Friday night? Sure, use a mindwipe; but you'll be tailored to that boss (and nothing else) for the next week; you can mindwipe Friday night again; you can wait until after the boss, but next Friday you'll have to wait longer before you can reset for the boss again... If the cooldown is made something like 9 or 10 days, it can even further impede weekly abuse by never quite aligning.

Or, you could just reduce the cost of mindwipe, but make it so each use only allows reallocating one attribute point or unlearning one engram... and/or make the cost/potency required of the tonic increase based on level of character using it. (A potency 50 tonic frees up a point on a level 50, 2 on a level 25,5 on a level 10, etc...)

6 hours ago, Sphere said:

I would like to have a word to the people who think that this is a great idea. You're basically telling the developers that it's okay to screw you over in the later game. You paid money to get screwed over by a bad game mechanic, and then white knight Wildcard and defend the bad decision.

... your still playing a game that hasn't been officially released. As for the accidental point distribution, they should just have a reset button next to that and a confirm button when your done distributing points. That way you still can back out of you foul up. The nice thing is mods will come out for this most likely and you can still play the game the way you want. I'm more interested in having multiple characters. Its so easy to level in this game, even on official, and having characters on other servers, I can see myself having a crafting character, a builder, and one for exploring or what have you.

5 hours ago, GP said:

A long cooldown period would be a better solution yes. At least that way it prevents people from abusing the mindwipe mechanic 10 times a day to make their tasks easier.

+1 This. I have a lvl 99 toon. So with the new once per level mechanic I need to speck for boss fights and that's all I will ever be. So no more Builder Bob or Diver Dan.

I long cooldown  is a better option...imho

9 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

"Or, just make an alt account that never gets played that just crafts all the time. That's fine too, if you want to do that. - The Right Hand "

Hes probably got a lot more hate for that comment on reddit then he expected. Ark doesn't have a proper "alt character" system like other games have.

Basically what players will take from this is for us to buy another copy of ark just so we can use the new crafting system and not need to mindwipe. Now after I typed that, imagine how people will feel, especially now that ark costs more money.

Seriously if people are so salty then just use the dam meta build of 1 point in speed 10 in weight 5 in oxygen 10 in fort and the rest health. That is what I have been using for the last year and a half.

you don't need points in mellee because most if not all endgame is used with ranged weapons or really powerful pikes 

10 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

"Or, just make an alt account that never gets played that just crafts all the time. That's fine too, if you want to do that. - The Right Hand "

Yes, because people should have to buy multiple copies of a game to enjoy it. 

You don't add elements of an RPG and then limit them. Mindwipes were fine the way they were. Sometimes I don't change my spec for a week or more and sometimes I need to change it a couple times in a day. As it is, my friends and I play on the notame official. We absolutely need access to constant mindwipes. We don't get the luxury of dino's to do most of the work for things for us and don't want to, hence why we play on notame. As it is, they have already wrecked notame lately by removing tek turrets (without telling anyone). As people have stated, mindwipes allow for people to spec for what they need. Introducing crafting skill has broken that. If anything, it should be a static skill that increases base on use, level, or some other method.

I can understand why they did it, especially with the change from craft speed to skill, but there doesn't appear to be any consideration for playstyles, server types, etc etc. Changes like this should be discussed with the community to get appropriate feedback before launching and setting people on fire. Right now I'm not sure I'm interested in playing as it completely hampers my ability to spec for bosses (which are broken as F*, especially on notame), spec for swim speed, pvp, etc etc. It needs to be removed and reconsidered, as well as include proper discussion/feedback.

Hey

I'm here to Expose a point I don't really think the devs have thought through when making this really bad change to how mindwipe works. As you can see I'm completely against it and i won't lie this is a biased post, but i think it does bring up a valid concern.

First of all, I think this change was brought by the new crafting skill, so people stop using it like they use now for recipes, mindwipe into full crafting then mindwipe back. IMO, this is bad game design. If you can't make a stat interesting all the time, the stat is the problem, not what allows us to actually use it without being severely hindered for 99% of the game. If they don't want us speccing into crafting speed then mindwiping back, they should make it so the crafting skill is actually useful for the 99% of the game time where we are not crafting. This brings me to the real point, the reason why I think this is a really bad change and design.

This is a group game and in tribes, each one has their role. That's how it works. And with this mindwipe change, the person with the role of "Crafter" (let's face it, a 33% bonus to crafts, especially if it ignores the item clamp, will just be too good to pass up) will be UTTERLY useless for almost 100% of the game. They won't get brought to caves because their hp/fort will be too low, they wont be able to do anything that isn't sit on top of a dino and kill/gather things, even then if they have the bad luck of aggroing a dimo, they'll be dead in no time. They'll get one shot by gamma bosses even (I'm talking about the Dragon's fireballs for example). So you force them to rely on their tribes to carry them through ascension so they can go back to being even remotely useful. This becomes even more ridiculous when you notice the amount of people that have done Gamma ascension, the easiest one, is around 0.2% of your WHOLE playerbase.

Wildcard, with this change, besides making the game more frustrating for alot of people, you are also making the game completely unattractive for any unlucky player who has to be his tribe's crafter. This is bad. This will make you lose players. I am of the opinion that flexibility and allowing you to tailor your character to better suit the next challenge (as opposed to being an all rounder all the time, or locked into being completely focused in one job forever) is mandatory in any game nowadays and is an important reward to your most dedicated players who no doubt take the most advantage out of it, but even above that, you have to think about how some people will be affected by this change more than others, and how that effect might make the game hell for them.

My suggestions to fix this:

- Give mindwipe a 3-7 day cooldown: This is the most simple one, allows crafters to fulfill their roles and still be useful and actually have fun in this game, while reducing the amount of re-specs being made, which clearly is a problem in your eyes.

- Remake the WHOLE stat system: The problem with Ark's stat system is that focusing in one stat for one task usually means that you are completely useless in most other aspects of the game, and that was ok until now because after completing said task you could go back to a more balanced stat spread. With that option gone, Focusing in one task won't really be an option unless you're in a tribe with defined roles, and even then it will make the game considerably less enjoyable for you. The way to fix this and keep the mindwipe change, in my opinion, is baking stats so that even if you focus in one aspect or task, you'd still have some pretty good bonuses in other aspects. You could (for example) go the typical Agility, Strength, Stamina, Intellect way where You'd have Strength giving weight and dmg, Agility giving speed and oxy, etc.. so even if you focused in one stat you could have some bonuses in other aspects of the game. Now you're all thinking "but that will allow you to get much more stats with the same points" and that is true, but this system could be complemented with a non linear stat growth or by reducing the number of stat points so you end up with roughly the same stat points as now.

TLDR

One of the probably unforeseen consequences of this change is some tribe roles are getting a huge shaft, being made useless for 99% of the game and having no option to undo it.

12 minutes ago, GravitronX said:

Difference in single player is you can cheat in engrams your missing and boost the amount your stats level up accordingly

If I cheat, I would be cheating myself out of the fun of playing the game. What is the point in that.

What would be the point in playing in the first place, I save all the found blueprints. So I have them when I respect my toon and didn't need to spend engram point later on after a mindwipe. If I hack in mats I, lose the xp from gathering them, if I items I lose the fun of playing and finding them. at that point then its time to move on when you can just give your self all the cool items and xp the game is no longer fun to play.... just my 2 cents

Archived