Can anyone explain the season pass to me?

NathanAndDaddy

I looked through all the season pass references in the forums and still do not understand what it is.

During the year you have it I understand you will gain access to all the new maps, but when your year is over do you have to purchase a new season pass to get access to the maps you already have been playing on or will you still have access to them if you decide not to renew the season pass?

Said another way: let's suppose I have a character, a base, and tamed dinos on a new map covered under the season pass and my season pass runs out. Will I still have access to that map or will I have to make an additional purchase at that time?

Thank You!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Xeno1987 said:

And by the way they need money to live or do you working for nothing.

So they do not get money from a 40€ game if I buy it? If they need money so bad, they can make a new game, and not do bad-deal season passes with DLCs that most of the time offer content that is better than the one you have.

I don't need a pay2play or pay2staygud if I paid a full price for a game.

It's fine if you like a game. But don't defend poopy moneygrabbing from devs just because you like a game. There are plenty of game I like. And plenty of game I criticize because the devs became greedy. *cough*Horse armor for Oblivion*cough**cough*Buying a level 100 WoW character*cough*. I hope WC will not go down that road.

8 minutes ago, Xeno1987 said:

I hope they do it same way Blizzard. If you want Quality you have to pay a lot. Also an auction house and character Transfer would be good for ark. Lets say character Transfer 50 or 100 euro without dino and every dino costs 50 again. This would also prevent raiders.

I'd be fine paying 50 $ a year or so to get a pass. Not 15$ a month Like wow was back in the day....

That 50 $ would get u any NEW content they release (official mods, new maps, etc). Bug fixes, optimizations and the like should still be free though

1 hour ago, Xeno1987 said:

Wrong all season passes are limited only for 1 year. R6 Siege or many other games get every year a new pass.

That is not quite right either; most games only ever have one season pass, and that pass usually covers permanent access all major DLC (see Borderlands as mentioned earlier, and Far Cry, and Fallout 3/NV/4, and so on and so on) included in that pass.

While I can't speak for R6 (though a quick search seems like their idea of a season pass is a one year subscription to "premium membership" like they think they are a F2P MMO or something), for the few games I have encountered that have had multiple season passes: Those passes are persistent; they allow permanent access to content included in the season pass, but only cover certain content (see Elite Dangerous: Season 1 was the base game, Season 2 covered the following year+'s major features; when/if there is a season 3, season 2 owners will still have access to all the content and features from S2, just not the major features from S3.)

The duration of a "season pass" can vary from developer/distributer or even game to game. It mostly depends on how often they foresee having new DLC. Some passes are good for X number of DLC packages, some for a fixed term like 1-2 years. Any content acquired from a given pass remains available after the pass expires. I have not heard of any optimization or update patches that require a pass other than Micro$oft'$ extended $upport program, but I imagine it is a just a matter of time until those come out for games. It could be that WC hasn't decided on how they are going to proceed with their season pass. I suppose it will come down to what they decide would constitute a DLC pack and if they decide to nickel and dime us by having single creature packs for 3.99 or so each month (a la Train Simulator - the most outrageous cash grab I've ever seen!) or provide two or three Scorched Earth type packs for 24.99 each year. Given WC's record on meeting release estimates, I hope they go for a season pass = x number of SC type map/scenario packs rather than a fixed period of time. I'd hate to pay $40.00 or so for a season pass and only get 1 DLC that retails for $25.00 out of it...

• Volunteer Moderator

Season pass you are getting the 3 maps one is scorched the other 2 come at a later date. It doesn't matter if it takes them 2 years you'll get your 2 maps that you payed for in season pass. 

the game will also have its updates and patches... And the mod program stuff is coming as well free or not no one knows.

GameStop discription

Combining the base game with a Season Pass that includes 3 massive Expansion Packs, the Explorer's Edition is a great way to get even more dinosaur action! ARK: Survival Evolved - Explorer's Edition gives you access to the base game and to the Scorched Earth (available now), plus two more expansion packs as they become available, adding nearly 900 hours of gameplay!

3 hours ago, Uueerdo said:

That is not quite right either; most games only ever have one season pass, and that pass usually covers permanent access all major DLC (see Borderlands as mentioned earlier, and Far Cry, and Fallout 3/NV/4, and so on and so on) included in that pass.

While I can't speak for R6 (though a quick search seems like their idea of a season pass is a one year subscription to "premium membership" like they think they are a F2P MMO or something), for the few games I have encountered that have had multiple season passes: Those passes are persistent; they allow permanent access to content included in the season pass, but only cover certain content (see Elite Dangerous: Season 1 was the base game, Season 2 covered the following year+'s major features; when/if there is a season 3, season 2 owners will still have access to all the content and features from S2, just not the major features from S3.)

I was too lazy to research, but thanks for the info that devs of R6 are actually trying to grab money off of people. I can't stand devs who charge full-price for their game and then come up with feces like timed premium membership.

But I'm not surprised. It's Ubisoft after all.

Spoiler alert: I can't stand Ubisoft.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, Uueerdo said:

Wow thanks for info on elite I bought it on pc played like 40 hours of it got bored in early access guess I won't be going back..some friends were just asking about buying PS4 version told them heck no got it on pc.. yeah I won't support developers with charging for season 2 content anymore. I barely buy dlc or season one passes until they are on sale or after I see if it's worth it. I don't even preorder games anymore after destiny and h1z1 turned into jokes.

look at gta series never charged for season passes and still 3 years later getting content gotta love rockstar. I don't mind the micro transactions I don't use them some ppl I know do. Rockstar seldom puts its game on sale as well keeping it at 60$. 

51 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

I was too lazy to research, but thanks for the info that devs of R6 are actually trying to grab money off of people. I can't stand devs who charge full-price for their game and then come up with feces like timed premium membership.

But I'm not surprised. It's Ubisoft after all.

Spoiler alert: I can't stand Ubisoft.

If you want to be hated by the majority of the gaming community, adopy the Ubisoft model. Not like you are getting value for those extra costs, the put out trash and spend way too long getting it fixed and by then everyone has moved on.

34 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

Wow thanks for info on elite I bought it on pc played like 40 hours of it got bored in early access guess I won't be going back..some friends were just asking about buying PS4 version told them heck no got it on pc.. yeah I won't support developers with charging for season 2 content anymore. I barely buy dlc or season one passes until they are on sale or after I see if it's worth it. I don't even preorder games anymore after destiny and h1z1 turned into jokes.

look at gta series never charged for season passes and still 3 years later getting content gotta love rockstar. I don't mind the micro transactions I don't use them some ppl I know do. Rockstar seldom puts its game on sale as well keeping it at 60$. 

The thing with GTA online is, you can get all the stuff. Fairly easy.

I recently picked up Payday 2 because it was free. The base game is okay, and fun. You can actually do everything. But DLCs and the "Ultimate Edition" is just an easy mode pay2win.

You need to spend cash to be able to get stuff at all.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

I looked through all the season pass references in the forums and still do not understand what it is.

During the year you have it I understand you will gain access to all the new maps, but when your year is over do you have to purchase a new season pass to get access to the maps you already have been playing on or will you still have access to them if you decide not to renew the season pass?

Said another way: let's suppose I have a character, a base, and tamed dinos on a new map covered under the season pass and my season pass runs out. Will I still have access to that map or will I have to make an additional purchase at that time?

Thank You!

A season pass is basically a bundled ticket that lets you buy all the DLC the company will be creating for their "season".

6 hours ago, Xeno1987 said:

Wrong all season passes are limited only for 1 year. R6 Siege or many other games get every year a new pass.

The reason R6 siege has you buying a second season pass is because they plan on releasing new DLC for yet another "season". You don't lose access to DLC that you obtained from the previous season once they start up a new one, merely the ability to buy the previous season's DLC as a packaged bundle.

The amount of wrong information in this thread is staggering. A season pass is NOT a subscription. It is a one time purchase. Essentially it is you buying future DLC for a game, usually for a lower price than paying for each DLC separate. 

The Ark season pass will cover Scorched Earth, and the 2 upcoming DLC expansions.  Again, it is not a subscription. Buy the season pass once, get access to the 3 DLC expansions FOREVER. 

If the devs decide to release more expansions after the next 2, they may release a second season pass that would cover any DLC after the 2 covered by the current season pass. 

Tl;dr The season pass is not a subscription. Pay now, get 2 future DLC expansions later, which are yours to keep forever. Only one purchase needed. 

Hmm, I thought everyone knew how season pass's worked by now. It goes like this you purchase the one year season pass, and during that one year any and all dlc that gets released you get for free. After your pass is expired you still keep all released content, but the next dlc to come out after your pass expires you would have to pay. You will never lose the dlc you got with your season pass.

3 minutes ago, Voidstar said:

can t you alternatively just buy the expansion permanently?

Of course you can. Based on the above info, the season pass will give you 3 DLCs along the lines of Scorched Earth (including scorched Earth) for less than buying the 3 separately. I.e. paying 40 for all 3 instead of 20 each or what ever the prices might be.

6 minutes ago, Alcarnique said:

Of course you can. Based on the above info, the season pass will give you 3 DLCs along the lines of Scorched Earth (including scorched Earth) for less than buying the 3 separately. I.e. paying 40 for all 3 instead of 20 each or what ever the prices might be.

but does it give them for 1 year? otr permanently?

Archived