Tips on Taming Hyenadon!

Smart86

12 hours ago, DomiDarko said:

If it is the highest lvl one of the pack, you can't tame it. If it's not then the alpha Hyaenodon isn't close enough to it.

Maybe this helps:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/195597-hyena-taming-guide-v10/

Thanks for the help, that guide is pretty good, only thing is, on Ragnarok everything is pillared atleast where the hyenas are. It's not flat terrain either. Guess I'll keep trying though.

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:35 AM, Smart86 said:

I have been trying to tame a 145 hyena for the past 2 hours, and simply cant get it. Ive got the whole ghillie and cactus broth and bug spray or whatever, but ill follow it, and then it'll rubberband into me and spook and lose TE. Its getting really annoying and i have no idea how to do it, any help is appreciated.

Stinks it's PvE, but you can use a raft to make this pen as well.  The O's are ceilings, the F's are Foundations, B's are blank spots, H is hatchframe

First Floor

BBB

BFB

BBB

Second Floor

BBB

BHB

BBB

Third Floor

OOO

OBO

OOO

On the third floor, build 1 wall high around the edges.  On the F for the first floor, 1 doorframe, 3 walls.  On the H for the second floor, 4 walls.

You can build this easily on a raft and if PvE, just build ramps down to ground level from the third floor and have the hyena follow you in.  Hyena will eventually get on the hatchframe.  You can then stand on the first floor with your guile and just pet it through the hatch without fear of it aggroing.  Just make sure there's no other hyenas around or anything else that will agro to it.

I think your whole issue revolves around latency (you or your server). So you probably have to get creative with the pens like others are suggesting.

I JUST, in the last couple days, tamed 3-4 Hyaenodons, levels 130-145 without too much issue. I'd find a pack, spyglass the alpha to see if it was 'good enough' and then fly in and grab it, drop it in my base (well away from any other Hyaenodons. My base has a fairly open walled in area with no other animals around (right now). I was able to successfully follow them around and pet with only a ghillie, no cactus broth/bug spray needed.

A couple times there would be some lag or rubber-banding and I'd spook it. In that case I'd go out of render range for only a brief second or two and come back and it was calmed down and ready to tame again - this did however result in decreased taming effectiveness.

Good luck!

We have carry enabled on our unofficial PVE so taming one is as easy as grabbing the alpha of the pack with an Argy, dropping it in another tribe members taming pen as its bigger than our boats then leave aggro range and return with Ghillie to tame.

If you can't pick unfortunately you will have to kill the cheer leaders following the alpha then aggro the alpha to follow you into a taming trap with a ramp.  Just make sure the trap is big enough to move out of its way if it quickly changes direction.  Our boats are not big enough for this and its far too easy for the dog to go skittish and lose te.  

Max on our server is only 120 and have 2 males so far and spotted 2 more Im hoping to pick up tonight if they still alive but have yet to find a female at or near 120 for the mate boost/breeding.

I use a 1x1 room two stories high currently. The walls of both consist of 4 door frames and a ceiling. The first floor ceiling is a hatch frame. Once I chase the hyenadon into the lower floor I drop a wooden pillar in the center pinning it against the far wall. Then I leave until it calms down. When I come back in ghillie I just approach from the back and start petting. What it likes to do is glitch up into the second floor which is actually better as now you can just pet it through the hatch with little concern. Just stay crouched. Easy, cheap, and has worked for level 150 dojes over and over. Hyenadons are the best. I just wish there was a way to not lose TE as much as you have to with this passive pet taming.

Archived