The current Ark team

WheezerX

On 26/01/2016 at 0:11 AM, WheezerX said:

The comic wasn't to make a stab at them being lazy or incompetent. It was a way for me to get my point across that I feel there needs to be some optimizations done to the performance. If they want to make money, having a game that requires something like a 980 or titan x to run on the best settings is rather limiting. The 970 itself is outside of a lot of people's price ranges and it just barely gets into the higher settings and still struggles. It really shouldn't take a $1,200+ system to run this game on decent visuals at a decent frame rate. That's my issue and belief behind it.

I'm the opposite; Why bother getting to end game when I have to run potato settings just to play normally?

I'm on lowest settings possible and barely getting into the 45 FPS range. I, myself, have a decent system: i7 2600.

GTX 950.

and 8 GB of ram on an SSD.

Let's play spot the bottleneck.

Being able to fully enjoy game content>performance.

Would you rather run at ultra in an empty game world or be able to ride dino, build, and play with tribemates at medium?

10 out of 10 times I'll choose the better gameplay. 

Anyway, the game still looks great on medium to high, I don't care if I only get 40fps.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On January 26, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Jat said:

Yeah man, it's not comfortable being thrown out a window. They'd have to be bonkers! 

I've got a few questions for anyone that can help me out with this, when splitscreen comes out for the xbox1 will we be able to play it splitscreen on an official server? Like a server we already have a character on? And will there be a tether? And if so how big?

Just thought I'd paste this over from Steam as it's what the priorities are right now from TheRightHand;

TheRightHand  [developer] 30 Jan @ 1:43am 

Our low-level engineers work on a vast array of other content, not just low-level stuff. And our concerns right now are not really clientside optimization.

In no particular order, but all before clientside stuff:

Server-side threading/performance. Still cleaning up UE4 multi-threaded rendering code for anims and multi-threaded networking/stasis issues.

New engine features, shader work, tool integration.

Memory use reduction (right now our landscape takes over a GB of memory, and our Skeletal Meshes/LODs take up huge amounts as well, this is too much and must be reduced.)

Clientside anti-cheat.

Client/Serverside Physx optimizations (this is where we lose the majority of our time on servers and clients in terms of framerate. Server is more important than client.)

Infrastructure/Backend tools for server management/networking.

Low-level crashes/bugs that aren't fixable by designers/gameplay programmers.

After all of that, then we care about clientside stuff.

Clientside framerate is just not important right now. We'll focus on that after we're content locked. The vast majority of people can play the game, being able to play it at 60fps at max settings just isn't a priority. We'll get there later.

- The Right Hand

7 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

@WheezerX the 950 is indeed no slouch, but it is hardly a sliders-maxer.

Ark is STILL IN DEVELOPMENT, AND FOR THE HUNDRED AND FIFTIETH FREAKING TIME, ALPHA=CONTENT, BETA=BUG FIXES & PERFORMANCE, FULL RELEASE= FURTHER EXPANSION.

swear this needs to be stickied on every sub.

The titan x and 980 shouldn't be your base line hardware, even in an alpha.

Also, people are allowed to have opinions and input, otherwise they shouldn't have released early access. Sorry you're being such a butthurt fanboy like the rest of the people in this thread.

This went from a fun thread, to reallllllly sad. It a just a comic, and regardless of what your views of it are,there is no need to make yourself look like a donkey named Jack. 

So how about we tone it down a dial or two n relax. I swear, threads like this are the reason we can't have nice things, even the devs were amused. 

• Chris locked this topic

Archived