Building overhaul before release ?

WolfeUK

On 6/19/2017 at 8:36 AM, Captnmorgan said:

Never had a single problem building with this system. I have no idea why ppl keep saying they need to destroy half a building. I've played on pc and console the system is fine. 

Never had a single problem?  LOL sorry that is laughable.

Never built a boat when you go to place a wall it "vibrates" between 5+ snap points?

Never placed a pillar below a ceiling to find the top of the pillar clipping through the ceiling?  You didn't think that was odd?

Never built a tree house to be surprised that you have no snap points on that surface?

Never extended foundations with ceilings to find that ceilings sit up higher than foundations?

Never thought it was odd that you had sloped walls that can't be flipped vertically?

Never placed electrical and plumbing and noticed how it sits just above the foundations and ceilings? You didn't think that was odd?

None of these issues really affect functionality of a base, but for a game that touts build mechanics these kind of things make the build mechanics feel "tacked on".

On 6/19/2017 at 5:36 AM, Captnmorgan said:

Never had a single problem building with this system. I have no idea why ppl keep saying they need to destroy half a building. I've played on pc and console the system is fine. 

Lucky

I think a lot of the time, people are just using hyperbole, but I do find myself irritated (unnecessarily). Snaps go way off sometimes, Ceilings don't place in uniform, Pillars go halfway into each other, you can't place Sloped ceilings on anything but Sloped rooves, I think there could be quite a cleanup of the current system.   

I agree, the building mechanic in ARK is frustrating, limited and very restrictive.

Take the electric cables for example: They're not cables, they're just stupid metal pipes and can only go on 90° angles (not counting the inclined one)
An electric system like Fallout 4 has, would be an insane improvement. That or just take the S+ water+electric distribution....

Snapping points on structures are useless or not working. You're on a ceiling and you want to put a pillar beneath the ceiling.
The outcome might be, that the pillar is halfway in the ceiling instead mostly below it - you can't snap-point-cycle this.
One can only try to get as low as possible to properly place the pillar.

A good addition was the introduction of the "disable structure collision" server option, this removed many many annoying restrictions, thank goodness and the Therizinosaur-god.

Another thing is that some structures don't snap properly, take the adobe window frame above an adobe door frame for instance. A player cannot go thru. Have to crouch, very dumb.
Same goes to sloped roofs that are attached 1 layer above and leave an apparent 1-unit high gap, so a playeer could just walk through, but no. That sloped roof is just perfectly 1 pixel too low, so a player has to crouch. I could go on for hours about something like this, but I wont. But I could.

Another point is, that you can't cycle sloped roofs, and/or place them against a wall, you always need a stupid sloped wall bit first or the sloped roof will _ALWAYS_ turn 90° and cannot be rotated.

I'm sure there is plenty more, like the workbench with a misaligned hitbox (bug from day 1)

Archived