Building overhaul before release ?

WolfeUK

Now we are in the final stretch i was wondering if anyone knew about a building overhaul before release, i would be surprised if the game was to release with the current building mechanics, especially on the console version as we cant use mods, even as a builder since release im still finding things snap to wrong parts, or you have to demolish half a build because you forgot to place something, lower down, and doing so you lose out on resources and time collecting

For me this is the one thing that really lets this game down and hope they will look at this again before release 

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Just got to pay attention to what is snapping, and be prepared to have more materials on hand.

After a while of building, you actually get used to it snapping weird, and the certain step-orders for things to be placed right.

8 hours ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Just got to pay attention to what is snapping, and be prepared to have more materials on hand.

After a while of building, you actually get used to it snapping weird, and the certain step-orders for things to be placed right.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Just toggle your snap points and flip stuff. You can get it to work a vast majority of the time. Just takes practice to be an efficient/effective builder. Personally, I kinda like that it has quirks. Makes it more immersive since you have to pay attention and be careful. 

EDIT - Pipes and electrical really need work though. That setup is pretty horrible with very limited capabilities. 

20 hours ago, WolfeUK said:

Now we are in the final stretch i was wondering if anyone knew about a building overhaul before release, i would be surprised if the game was to release with the current building mechanics, especially on the console version as we cant use mods, even as a builder since release im still finding things snap to wrong parts, or you have to demolish half a build because you forgot to place something, lower down, and doing so you lose out on resources and time collecting

For me this is the one thing that really lets this game down and hope they will look at this again before release 

I totally agree, the current state of this game's building mechanics is quite underwhelming and I would be greatly disappointed if the devs kept it as it is after launch.

4 hours ago, YJMark said:

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Just toggle your snap points and flip stuff. You can get it to work a vast majority of the time. Just takes practice to be an efficient/effective builder. Personally, I kinda like that it has quirks. Makes it more immersive since you have to pay attention and be careful. 

You cant toggle snap points on the xbox, using the Y button only changes from one foundation to another, it doesn't 'reverse' the part, if im putting a wall on a foundation where there are 2 foundations, it flips like crazy, its random which way it will face when you place it, ceilings always place higher than foundations, you end up having to do the pillar bug to get them level, and when you are doing more complex builds more than just a square cube, sometimes you might change your mind or want to expand, with the current state of build mechanics its almost impossible to do without having to rip half your build apart

Anyone who thinks the current build mechanic is acceptable hasnt played canon exiles yet, they got it right first time round lol

Guest BubbaCrawfish
12 hours ago, YJMark said:

EDIT - Pipes and electrical really need work though. That setup is pretty horrible with very limited capabilities. 

Start with the pipe/electrical cable first... It's a lot more hid-able.

People often make the same mistakes over and over and don't learn from them and it's easier to call the game broken than admit their stupid. I find the snapping points on s+ more messed up than vannila not only that but with no clipping it makes a lot more problems than it solves i.e. Under ground foundations that can't be destroyed prefect for trolls to exploit it's also one of the easiest ways to get under the map and imo many things it includes are far to op for official 

Just a couple of small things would make building so much better. 

- an arrow indicating wether a wall is facing in or outwards.

- a toggle option for letting a production facility like a smithy snap to walls or foundations.

- a toggle that allows you to toggle the placement of pillars up, in or under ceilings. (right now, if your ceiling is too close to the ground you can forget placing a pillar underneath it.)

- make ramps collision free, they should be able to go into the ground, whatever the height is.

- the ability to place a pillar directly under a ramp

There probably are some other, usefull things that could be easily changed to increase the QOL of ARK builders. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/18/2017 at 8:28 AM, gMacc916 said:

It doesn't need an overhaul. Its not as bad as some people like to say it is. It just takes more planning and creativity. 

I do hope we get more building options and mechanics, though.  

I think we need both.  Building mechanics are *slightly* better for final release, but they are still mostly underwhelming and to do anything that looks cool you have to "hack" the mechanics (raise/lower foundations, create a non-square structure).  I know many of the items from primitive plus were not even on the same snap point system as other items.  Which tells me they need to make all the building items exactly the same for all materials. 

Electrical and plumbing is not well thought out and by default mostly stick out through the foundations and ceilings.  The vertical and incline pipes and wires seem to be arbitrary heights too, they don't even match the height of walls.

If it was up to me I would make everything SLIGHTLY bigger and thicker walls.

Archived