Titan in my yard! (venting) - aggro mech messed up?

ValaRhan

I don't mind that the blasted thing was there (I'm guessing I'm on a spawn point for them) but...

ALL of my dinos (save one rock golem) are on PASSIVE which means that Titan shouldn't aggro anything, right?? So why did it kill two of my Q's (on PASSIVE) and go after a third?! And WHY THE FLIP AREN"T MY X PLANTS shooting it (they're set on <wild, large range>?!?! WHT!!! And where's this OFFLINE RAID PROTECTION?! It didn't save my Q's either!?!?! DILO!!!!

Yes, I lost a horse and my hyenas to a stomp while I was killing it with my titan-killing Giga's but I can accept that. I'm pissed it killed 2 Q's that were on PASSIVE!!!!!

The TITAN AGGRO MECH IS ALL KINDS OF SCREWED UP! (this is twice in two weeks one has spawned in my yard, I knew there was a chance, so all my dinos save that rock golem are all set on PASSIVE all the time - that's supposed to make it so the Titan won't aggro on anything, isn't it?!)

I only know this because I read the dossier for the Titan a little earlier but it said the titan aggros on anything that gets too close to it's personal space? I am not certain if that translates to how they work in game as I know the dossiers are not always 100% accurate or the game isn't..whatever. But if that is true then just being close to it is dangerous? I see them but never get close so I can't verify the validity of the dossier in that manner. 

If all your dinos were on passive, and nothing could've aggro'd it, then it should have left your stuff alone. Titans don't just spontaneously decide to aggro, I've tried multiple times.

Not even torches/campfires/cooking pots/forge fires burning it aggro it. However, on some unofficials I noticed that theres a setting enabled that causes spike walls to injure wilds that touch them, and that aggros them. You on an unofficial with that setting enabled? 

That, and if your plants are on aggressive, they'll shoot at dinos still, however if they shoot the Titan, the Titan aggros. They won't shoot at Titans at all because that's a very serious creature to aggro, and many people lost bases when titans first came out because they left their plants on "kill anything" mode.

7 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

If all your dinos were on passive, and nothing could've aggro'd it, then it should have left your stuff alone. Titans don't just spontaneously decide to aggro, I've tried multiple times.

Not even torches/campfires/cooking pots/forge fires burning it aggro it. However, on some unofficials I noticed that theres a setting enabled that causes spike walls to injure wilds that touch them, and that aggros them. You on an unofficial with that setting enabled? 

That, and if your plants are on aggressive, they'll shoot at dinos still, however if they shoot the Titan, the Titan aggros. They won't shoot at Titans at all because that's a very serious creature to aggro, and many people lost bases when titans first came out because they left their plants on "kill anything" mode.

All dinos are on Passive, as I stated.. On on OFFICIAL Server - no spikes anywhere, just xplants.. The plants weren't shooting it, no huge deal, but it killed 2 Q's that I know one of was absolutely on passive (the other may not have been, newly raised - may have forgot) -- and I know ARK won't replace them - which really sucks cause one was my powerQ (highest lvl and longest owned).. REALLY sucks. =(

50 minutes ago, ValaRhan said:

I don't mind that the blasted thing was there (I'm guessing I'm on a spawn point for them) but...

ALL of my dinos (save one rock golem) are on PASSIVE which means that Titan shouldn't aggro anything, right?? So why did it kill two of my Q's (on PASSIVE) and go after a third?! And WHY THE FLIP AREN"T MY X PLANTS shooting it (they're set on <wild, large range>?!?! WHT!!! And where's this OFFLINE RAID PROTECTION?! It didn't save my Q's either!?!?! DILO!!!!

Yes, I lost a horse and my hyenas to a stomp while I was killing it with my titan-killing Giga's but I can accept that. I'm pissed it killed 2 Q's that were on PASSIVE!!!!!

The TITAN AGGRO MECH IS ALL KINDS OF SCREWED UP! (this is twice in two weeks one has spawned in my yard, I knew there was a chance, so all my dinos save that rock golem are all set on PASSIVE all the time - that's supposed to make it so the Titan won't aggro on anything, isn't it?!)

Plant-X set to wild aggro'd the Titan.

It then stomped the nearest dinos/tames until your plant-X stopped shooting.

I believe ORP stops structure damage, not dmg to your games from wilds. 

So next time, put your quetzal somewhere safe. 

Btw, I have a titan spawn in my base pretty much weekly on Official PVP and am yet to lose anything to them. I had to lift one out twice in the last 3 days alone because I thought it was a safe distance to not wander back in. Shoulda killed it the 1st time.

Basically, this is a player issue not a game issue.

4 minutes ago, Saupe said:

Plant-X set to wild aggro'd the Titan.

It then stomped the nearest dinos/tames until your plant-X stopped shooting.

So next time, put your quetzal somewhere safe. 

None of my plants were shooting - but I suppose they could have been before I logged on. And Yes, ORP protects dinos too from wild attacks, I've watched (on another Official server) a single dino being beat on by something WAY stronger, well past when the tamed one should have died. Only thing I can think of is that one of my tribe was on so that the ORP wasn't in effect. =(

As for keeping them safe, they are (normally) they were on top of my building, no aggressive birds/bugs, so usually the best place.

I'm not saying it isn't a player issue (it obviously is, in dealing with the aftermath)..

Offline raid protection starts about a half hour after you log off. Once active nothing can kill it, I've seen a little dung beetle walk across the swamp biome with most of the swamp after it, nothing happened to it.

In the early days a titan agroed when it gained site of a player on foot or on a dino. It would then go after the player and give it a smackdown. The ai is a little different now or somethings been possibly added to it and we don't see that as much as we used to.

Also, I thought plant x didn't attack titans? there is no way they could kill a raid class as this would just make it mad and demo your base.

1 hour ago, ValaRhan said:

All dinos are on Passive, as I stated.. On on OFFICIAL Server - no spikes anywhere, just xplants.. The plants weren't shooting it, no huge deal, but it killed 2 Q's that I know one of was absolutely on passive (the other may not have been, newly raised - may have forgot) -- and I know ARK won't replace them - which really sucks cause one was my powerQ (highest lvl and longest owned).. REALLY sucks. =(

You can not get plants or autos to shoot Titans or Giga's.  That would make it to easy to get your base wiped by aggro'ing them to it. 

There is a chance that someone else poked it and it hit your possibly not passive Quetz onto it making the Titan attack the others. 

2 minutes ago, Proximo said:

Figured it was you just thought I would check though to see if someone else had the exact same thing happen to them.

Would suck for them.. I'd just like to know how it happened - really. I know I can't get the dinos back, much as I'd love to have Gift Horse restored (for nostalgia, nothing more)..

I had a Titan wander into my base once in singleplayer, but it didn't do anything.  The only things I can think of is that either it aggros onto creatures that are in its circle for too long, or the fact that your plant turrets were on 'shoot wild things' somehow aggrod it even though they weren't actually shooting.

• Volunteer Moderator

Turrets do not shoot titanosaurs regardless of settings (so as to not aggro a big meaty creature and drain bullets/fertilizer needlessly). ORP (if you were indeed on a server that has it enabled) only activates 30 minutes after last logged in activity. As for your dinos dying whilst passive, they could likely have been collateral damage whilst someone else was attacking it or causing it to aggro.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Turrets do not shoot titanosaurs regardless of settings (so as to not aggro a big meaty creature and drain bullets/fertilizer needlessly). ORP (if you were indeed on a server that has it enabled) only activates 30 minutes after last logged in activity. As for your dinos dying whilst passive, they could likely have been collateral damage whilst someone else was attacking it or causing it to aggro.

Thank you for that confirmation - I was made aware that a tribemate was in fact on when my Qs were killed, though I'm still not sure why it attacked in the first place... so ORP (which IS enabled on the Official Server I play on) was not in effect. -sigh- my poor Q's.. QQ ohwell.. Such is ARK..

On 6/16/2017 at 1:29 PM, Saupe said:

False, I regularly hunt alpha predators that are aggroed on invincible ORP dinos 

On 6/16/2017 at 1:53 PM, Cataclisto said:

Offline raid protection starts about a half hour after you log off. 

Incorrect; 15min timer

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

This is pretty much everything I was going to say.  Titan won't aggro on anything unless it attacks it.  Plant X won't attack it.  Mostly likely scenario is that someone took advantage of the fact it was near your base the minute you logged off.  They had enough time to get it in and stomp a few times before ORP kicked in and had to call it a night.  Without ORP they would have just got it to keep stomping passive dinos until nothing was left.

OP: Do you have any toxic players on your server? Anyone you pissed off? Anyone that hates you? Anyone jealous of you? Any mega tribe that feels threatened by your growth?  Ask yourself all these questions because someone almost definitely wanted your stuff dead.  

Who was online when you went offline?  That might help narrow down the list.  Battlemetrics can help you figure out who you should be careful of.

edit: just saw that you said a tribemate was online, the aggressor could have been opportunistic and got a couple of dinos killed and then got out of there when they realized all your stuff was passive.  You can still check who was online when the quetzes died, in the log just remember every game day is 50 minutes RL and work your way back to find the RL time it happened (or ask your tribemate).

Archived