Griffins and Breeding

AlphaTrader

5 minutes ago, Kallor said:

Why have they done such a terrible job of it then?  You think they'd get the base game right wouldn't they?

it was fine at the start, before quetzes were added. Game at difficulties 1-3 was balanced. But then they got sidetracked by all the new dinos, DLC, PvE crowd and numbers bloating with new difficulties and bonus levels system, transfers etc. It all snowballed in a pile that we have now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18-6-2017 at 5:56 AM, ranger1presents said:

High alpha damage attacks can be impressive, but if you look at it's DOT (damage over time) perhaps not so much.  If it does that much damage in a dive attack, but must then pull back up to altitude to set up it's next run that is time lost and reduces it's DOT.  A lower damage creature that is tough enough to stand toe to toe and keep attacking without letting up may end up doing more damage in the long run.

High Alpha and high DOT both have their advantages depending on the target.  High Alpha is generally devastating against foes with relatively low health (or have a good capacity to knock an attacker back frequently), while high DOT tends to be the way to go against more robust creatures (especially if they have nothing to mitigate or avoid incoming attacks).

Finally a reason to use this meme. :^)

9bc.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:47 AM, AlphaTrader said:

Well i really think the same approach should be taken that was done with dragons and have the high cap moved to 190 like wyvern eggs. Since we can never stack mutations or genetically create a higher level we should be given the same range we get on wyverns.

No. Wyverns have a higher cap because of the fact that they are breeded, not tamed. A perfect tame 150 griffin will be level 223-224 instead of a 190 wyvern.

Any imbalance that people refer to from breeding is not really an imbalance since all players have access. If some choose not to take advantage of it that is a choice, whether that choice is based on personal preferences or just a fact of living in the real world. Better to put hard caps into breeding to limit the increases as that makes the most sense, but it's also the solution that actually requires work from developers as opposed to just turning it off for some creatures.

Having finally tamed a griffin I don't see the imbalance at all. It's not exactly fast except on the dive, and then to do that again you have to climb, the whole while you are a target on pvp servers. Plus, plenty of ground pounders make short work of them. Even a ptero and barrel roll can off them, so what I'm thinking is it's just some can't find them and don't like having to deal with them. Pretty similar to complaints made to all new dinos from pvp players that didn't have them yet and crying for nerfs and limits. It's also quite similar to the complaints made about pteros themselves in pvp after breeding made them 'OP', even though all players have access to the exact same mechanics, which is what made them nerf fliers themselves (bringing about the creation of the Classic Flyer mod) as a short cut to limiting them, rather than address it properly through breeding caps (which is more work, hitting the stats direct and making it impossible to raise speed is exactly the same kind of shorthand as making a creature non-breedable - just lazy responses rather than an intelligent one).

Maybe it's just my opinion, but putting a flag in regarding breeding for each dino and having server owners set that themselves allows more freedom, and that should be the actual goal of any game designer - player freedom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 10:35 AM, NZScruffy said:

... I don't understand why some of you think Griffin is good. it's crap :) They can't carry med size creatures, they are slower than pteras/wyverns and maybe argies? dunno. Their damage is mediocre, argy is higher. They don't have a saddle even (because the tamability of it was a 'hack' added to a player developed map, wildcard did not intend griffin to be a 'thing') What exactly makes griffin so 'op'?

As for breeding, that's just wildcards way of saying "we're too busy doing other stuff to make it breedable, we really don't give a toss, this map isn't even ours, we just bought it from the dev so we can control how it's released." :)

Are you dumb? The griffin is definitely faster than any other flier in the game, you just divebomb and you can be halfway across the map within seconds. Damage is amazing. Mine has 800 melee and one shots everything pretty much, but then again my server is a bit more boosted. I love that you can shoot off of Griffins, makes Rex and Giga taming sooooo much easier. But anyways, the Griffin is by far my favorite flier, the only bad part is that it can’t pickup anything and no sattle.

Archived