Griffins and Breeding

AlphaTrader

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Speed and damage output matter just as much in PVE as they do in PVP, but for different reasons.  As PVE is essentially you against the environment the little things matter a great deal, and it is imperative for a healthy game balance that one creature does not become the ultimate tame that invalidates all others.

I'm not saying it will be nerfed, but I am saying that those factors are important and they will be keeping an eye on them.

The speed of the Flyers do NOT matter, since TEK Equipment, the speed of the flyers have the same impact to an experienced player, like the base DMG of a dilo has.
And the DMG of the griffins is in no way exaggerated, its pretty well balanced, since you gotta decide what stat you wanna push.

8 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

DOT in games is a term usually used for periodic effects. When you have a debate about high Alpha damage versus consistent lower amounts damage over the prolonged battle then the proper terms for their comparison would be DPS (damage per second) or DPM (damage per minute).

I used DOT as I was comparing damage output in rather general terms versus a variety of other creatures and attack forms/types, however you are correct in this instance DPS would probably have been more accurate.  I realize that in certain games (like League of Legends and WOW) DOT is used very specifically, sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

9 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

I would have thought the lack of breeding would be due to them being hybrids. I mean, they got mammalian hindquarters so you'd think they do live births. But they have Avian features as well so maybe they lay eggs? Who knows.

Simple: let them lay eggs like Platypuses :P 

8 hours ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

The speed of the Flyers do NOT matter, since TEK Equipment, the speed of the flyers have the same impact to an experienced player, like the base DMG of a dilo has.
And the DMG of the griffins is in no way exaggerated, its pretty well balanced, since you gotta decide what stat you wanna push.

Your assertion might be true "IF" all players had unlimited access to TEK equipment and resources, however they do not.  Flyer speed vs land creature, or vs each other, is an important part of game balance and pacing for the vast majority of players.  Balance considerations must be looked at from the perspective of players from all different levels of experience, not just the top of the pyramid.

Personally I don't think griffins have an problem with their damage output currently, but it is a new creature with new abilities and game mechanics that will need to be evaluated through general gameplay for awhile.

5 minutes ago, CeaselessFish said:

I can understand why breeding may not be enabled as far as PVP and balancing. All I can say is that it's a massive shame just due to how spectacular they look. It would have been really fun to play around with colour mutations. But you never know it could be added in the future. 

I'm a big fan of the idea that all creatures should be able to be bred, but that perhaps some should have restrictions such as only getting color mutations or perhaps not handle stat mutations the same way.  Some could even be restricted from the imprinting process.

Obviously that would deter many folks from breeding those creatures, but I don't view that as much of a problem.  Even color only breeding lines would have value to many.

Just now, ranger1presents said:

I'm a big fan of the idea that all creatures should be able to be bred, but that perhaps some should have restrictions such as only getting color mutations or perhaps not handle stat mutations the same way.  Some could even be restricted from the imprinting process.

Obviously that would deter many folks from breeding those creatures, but I don't view that as much of a problem.  Even color only breeding lines would have value to many.

This ^

41 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Or do the wyvern treatment: They only accept X item that is hard to get

1 minute ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Or do the wyvern treatment: They only accept X item that is hard to get

In many cases that could work, but if (for game balance reasons) the devs do not want a type of boost beyond base wild stats they have to go with the assumption that if an item CAN be gotten (no matter how difficult) it WILL be gotten.  At least by the dedicated breeders.

The difficulty of getting a prerequisite is often not as big a handicap as you might think.  Players are ingenious.  :)

Just now, ranger1presents said:

In many cases that could work, but if (for game balance reasons) the devs do not want a type of boost beyond base wild stats they have to go with the assumption that if an item CAN be gotten (no matter how difficult) it WILL be gotten.  At least by the dedicated breeders.

The difficulty of getting a prerequisite is often not as big a handicap as you might think.  Players are ingenious.  :)

I know, humans are smarter than we give them credit for :P

Just now, Victor117 said:

They wont add breeding to grifins because it would create and unbalace, if they do however then might as well make wyverns breedable and add a saddle... And thats not happening either.

I mean, then PTs should not be breedable either! PTs are better than wyverns if bred correctly

17 hours ago, Victor117 said:

They wont add breeding to grifins because it would create and unbalace, if they do however then might as well make wyverns breedable and add a saddle... And thats not happening either.

'Balance' - Im beginning to hate that word.

The fact that Wyvern eggs spawn at 30+ levels higher than the max wild level of the server and can be imprinted doesn't bode well for balance either.

There are many ways around this no-breeding Griffin issue.

> Make is very Rare, like the Unicorn

> Make it hard to breed, like getting milk for baby Wyverns

> Put a cap on the wild level spawns

> Remove the bonus levels post tame

But no, lets completely remove a game-mechanic from EVERYONE because PVP'ers are scared. Disable breeding on PVP servers, id say.

On 6/19/2017 at 6:53 AM, Rboy said:

But no, lets completely remove a game-mechanic from EVERYONE because PVP'ers are scared.

Just for clarification, creatures that are (or can be made to be) over powered compared to the rest of the game are an issue in PVE just as much as they are for PVP... if not more so.  No creature should be the "I win" button that invalidates huge amounts of other game content, or renders all other in game challenges moot.

So yes, I'd definitely like to see some sort of breeding possible for them in both PVE and PVP game play... but lets not encourage the myth that balance doesn't matter in PVE.

24 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Just for clarification, creatures that are (or can be made to be) over powered compared to the rest of the game are an issue in PVE just as much as they are for PVP... if not more so.  No creature should be the "I win" button that invalidates huge amounts of other game content, or renders all other in game challenges moot.

So yes, I'd definitely like to see some sort of breeding possible for them in both PVE and PVP game play... but lets not encourage the myth that balance doesn't matter in PVE.

Agree. However, I'm looking at it from a different angle.

There are already numerous 'I Win' creatures in the game. A low level Giga is unstoppable never mind a high level, imprinted one. I have not met anything on TheIsland my Giga cant kill, including wild Gigas. My imprinted Thyla can kill anything on SE bar Golems (no creature can, as far as i know). My 2nd generation Quetz can take on an Alpha Wyvern, and win. When looking at the big picture, making the Griffin breed able will not change the status quo, even more so when the flyer nerf is eventually applied to it.

Will a imprinted Griffin be OP, yeah, but it wont be the only creature that is. 

On 2017-06-18 at 11:22 AM, ranger1presents said:

I used DOT as I was comparing damage output in rather general terms versus a variety of other creatures and attack forms/types, however you are correct in this instance DPS would probably have been more accurate.  I realize that in certain games (like League of Legends and WOW) DOT is used very specifically, sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

I think it's was an fyi, I was going to say something to as a heads up but he covered it. Just to be clear there is DoT in ark, but DPS was the term you needed there <3

Allosaurus's bleed and the new Dino's rabies bite would both be DoT damage(X amount of dmg spread over X amount of time). Anything else that does X amount of instant damage per hit is referred to as DPS/DPM

55 minutes ago, Drinkinthepink said:

I think it's was an fyi, I was going to say something to as a heads up but he covered it. Just to be clear there is DoT in ark, but DPS was the term you needed there <3

Allosaurus's bleed and the new Dino's rabies bite would both be DoT damage(X amount of dmg spread over X amount of time). Anything else that does X amount of instant damage per hit is referred to as DPS/DPM

Instant damage and damage over time both effect damage per second. A single hit is not referred to as dps. Damage per second, regardless of source, is a one second interval of all damage sources.

36 minutes ago, Nokosa said:

Instant damage and damage over time both effect damage per second. A single hit is not referred to as dps. Damage per second, regardless of source, is a one second interval of all damage sources.

Yes I know, that is basics... dot dmg is still dps... but instant dmg per hit is not DoT dmg.

Archived