Griffins and Breeding

AlphaTrader

i was wondering if Griffins not having a gender was a bug or uncompleted part?  I ask because they also do have a tool tip picture just a blank white square.  These creatures are so enjoyable that i would very much like to see Griffin breeding.  With their regions i can already imagine some very amazing color region mutation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Captnmorgan said:

Lol.. never said it made sense ... just proves that unicorns do exist if ark lets u breed them... ?

It actually does make sense from a game balance/ pvp perspective.. unicorns aren't pvp options.. Griffins, golems, and wyvern all have very distinct advantages that give them pvp uses..

@AlphaTrader I would agree with you on the level cap being higher like the wyvern.. tho you do have to put more effort into a wyvern raise than a griffin tame I would think..

31 minutes ago, AlphaTrader said:

i was wondering if Griffins not having a gender was a bug or uncompleted part?  I ask because they also do have a tool tip picture just a blank white square.  These creatures are so enjoyable that i would very much like to see Griffin breeding.  With their regions i can already imagine some very amazing color region mutation.

Whats more fun, game has all the assets for the Griffin babies - you can access them in-game with "setbabyage" command. So them being unable to breed is an artificial limitation, especially when compared to invertebrate creatures that do not have baby stage assets at all (command doesn't work for them) but for some reason scorpions do have gender.

1 hour ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

It actually does make sense from a game balance/ pvp perspective.. unicorns aren't pvp options.. Griffins, golems, and wyvern all have very distinct advantages that give them pvp uses..

@AlphaTrader I would agree with you on the level cap being higher like the wyvern.. tho you do have to put more effort into a wyvern raise than a griffin tame I would think..

All valid points, however:

PVP in not the only mode in Ark. RP, Single players and PVE should also be taken in consideration.

I would love to breed Griffins, as mutating dinos is my favorite pastime in Ark at the moment. If PVP/balance is the many driver behind not making them breedable, then Wyverns should also not be able to be imprinted. How about disabling breeding only on PVP servers? Or a .ini option and let everyone admin make up his own mind.

Im REALLY salty about all the changes in the game being centered around PVP/Balance. Flyer nerf, no "end game" dinos  (gigas) for boss fights, no breeding for Mantis as it "would be too OP with high level weapons", BP Nerf ... 

1 hour ago, Rboy said:

All valid points, however:

PVP in not the only mode in Ark. RP, Single players and PVE should also be taken in consideration.

I would love to breed Griffins, as mutating dinos is my favorite pastime in Ark at the moment. If PVP/balance is the many driver behind not making them breedable, then Wyverns should also not be able to be imprinted. How about disabling breeding only on PVP servers? Or a .ini option and let everyone admin make up his own mind.

Im REALLY salty about all the changes in the game being centered around PVP/Balance. Flyer nerf, no "end game" dinos  (gigas) for boss fights, no breeding for Mantis as it "would be too OP with high level weapons", BP Nerf ... 

Because PvP is the base game. The rest are spin-offs with extra limitations. I'm pretty sure there will be a mod soon (if not already) that will allow you to breed griffins to your heart's content.

23 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Because PvP is the base game. The rest are spin-offs with extra limitations. I'm pretty sure there will be a mod soon (if not already) that will allow you to breed griffins to your heart's content.

Exactly.. the base game is pvp,  they've made it abundantly clear that pvp is their main focus.. not that other modes won't get more tlc after official launch/ hopeful company growth, but game modes like pve are not the priority during this current stage of development. 

3 hours ago, AlphaTrader said:

Well i really think the same approach should be taken that was done with dragons and have the high cap moved to 190 like wyvern eggs. Since we can never stack mutations or genetically create a higher level we should be given the same range we get on wyverns.

Level cap on wyverns is set higher because you can't tame them and get bonus levels from TE.  Unless there's something I missed, a kibble tamed Griffon should be higher than is capable on a wyvern.

That said, either we've been really unlucky or the cap on Ice Wyverns is also 150, which should definitely match the 190 max for other wyverns.

4 minutes ago, eswimm said:

Level cap on wyverns is set higher because you can't tame them and get bonus levels from TE.  Unless there's something I missed, a kibble tamed Griffon should be higher than is capable on a wyvern.

That said, either we've been really unlucky or the cap on Ice Wyverns is also 150, which should definitely match the 190 max for other wyverns.

Very good point..

... I don't understand why some of you think Griffin is good. it's crap :) They can't carry med size creatures, they are slower than pteras/wyverns and maybe argies? dunno. Their damage is mediocre, argy is higher. They don't have a saddle even (because the tamability of it was a 'hack' added to a player developed map, wildcard did not intend griffin to be a 'thing') What exactly makes griffin so 'op'?

As for breeding, that's just wildcards way of saying "we're too busy doing other stuff to make it breedable, we really don't give a toss, this map isn't even ours, we just bought it from the dev so we can control how it's released." :)

Yeah sadly the Griffin will probably stay as is for NOW...they are more worried about getting the game released in August. But afterwards, hopefully they'll take a better look at it. Making it breedable wouldn't make it any better than an Argie for PVP. And us PVE'er regardless want to be able to get mutations and different colors on it. Probably was a hasty add like the Rag map, but it's nice we have it.

55 minutes ago, NZScruffy said:

... I don't understand why some of you think Griffin is good. it's crap :) They can't carry med size creatures, they are slower than pteras/wyverns and maybe argies? dunno. Their damage is mediocre, argy is higher. They don't have a saddle even (because the tamability of it was a 'hack' added to a player developed map, wildcard did not intend griffin to be a 'thing') What exactly makes griffin so 'op'?

As for breeding, that's just wildcards way of saying "we're too busy doing other stuff to make it breedable, we really don't give a toss, this map isn't even ours, we just bought it from the dev so we can control how it's released." :)

When you use them properly they are extremely good flyers.  Faster than a wyvern, and it's melee high speed can one shot many creatures.  For example my griffin with no added points in melee will take out any wild argie in a single swoop.

3 hours ago, NZScruffy said:

You clearly haven't actually used it, or don't know how to. With the dive they're the fastest air creature, by far. And the dive attack is massively overpowered, Kishko was streaming last night and one dove on him and his griffin and did 1500+ damage in one hit, then later the same guy one hit him and his ptera with a dive. 

8 hours ago, Harrist14 said:

You clearly haven't actually used it, or don't know how to. With the dive they're the fastest air creature, by far. And the dive attack is massively overpowered, Kishko was streaming last night and one dove on him and his griffin and did 1500+ damage in one hit, then later the same guy one hit him and his ptera with a dive. 

I can only hope this one does not get nerfed for PVE, because the only situation where this is OP is actually im PVP, for wild dinos it really doesnt matter...

47 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

I can only hope this one does not get nerfed for PVE, because the only situation where this is OP is actually im PVP, for wild dinos it really doesnt matter...

Speed and damage output matter just as much in PVE as they do in PVP, but for different reasons.  As PVE is essentially you against the environment the little things matter a great deal, and it is imperative for a healthy game balance that one creature does not become the ultimate tame that invalidates all others.

I'm not saying it will be nerfed, but I am saying that those factors are important and they will be keeping an eye on them.

9 hours ago, Harrist14 said:

High alpha damage attacks can be impressive, but if you look at it's DOT (damage over time) perhaps not so much.  If it does that much damage in a dive attack, but must then pull back up to altitude to set up it's next run that is time lost and reduces it's DOT.  A lower damage creature that is tough enough to stand toe to toe and keep attacking without letting up may end up doing more damage in the long run.

High Alpha and high DOT both have their advantages depending on the target.  High Alpha is generally devastating against foes with relatively low health (or have a good capacity to knock an attacker back frequently), while high DOT tends to be the way to go against more robust creatures (especially if they have nothing to mitigate or avoid incoming attacks).

4 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

but if you look at it's DOT (damage over time) perhaps not so much.

DOT in games is a term usually used for periodic effects. When you have a debate about high Alpha damage versus consistent lower amounts damage over the prolonged battle then the proper terms for their comparison would be DPS (damage per second) or DPM (damage per minute).

Archived