Finally a skill based mount

Varanus8

I have to say I am loving the new mechanics brought to the game with the griffin, it has a very unique niche as a dive bomber like a peregrine falcon and can be very powerful under one condition... It's used properly. It's ability looks easy to pull off in an edited video but I assure you it is very much skill based. That is something that is very lacking in this game, right now it's all about who can spend the time and reasources to tame or breed the best and most powerful creatures giving anything else no chance. I hope in the coming TLC update (that was so very clearly teased and mostly ignored) every creature is given powerful difficult to use abilities each favouring a different play style that players will have to master to use effectivly. This would make the game more about learning how to use your favourite creatures effectivly rather than just obtain the most powerful ones.

Yeah it does make a change from just taming 2 powerful dinos to spend ages breeding them until they're even more powerful. Skill based dinos are what this game needs, especially in PvP. Because at least if you happen to get raided and all your tames killed, or worse - your base wiped, you'll have a chance to jump straight back into some PvP action by taming yourself a Griffin. Of course it isn't going to build you a new base, but it will definitely be a game changer for when you're being stalked by hostile tribes, and you can even give them a taste of their own medicine if you know what you're doing.

46 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

This game didn't need anymore lame flying crap especially more magical nonsense. I'm quite disappointed they added this. The devs need to encourage players to be using ground mounts instead of flying mounts 95% of the time.

I agree there is a good amount of choice for flyers already i feel like pvp should be more land based.

55 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

This game didn't need anymore lame flying crap especially more magical nonsense. I'm quite disappointed they added this. The devs need to encourage players to be using ground mounts instead of flying mounts 95% of the time.

True. We need Battlegrounds! no flying mounts allowed, only ground. Maybe a giant, refurbished SE-styled Gladiator Colosseum where you're put into the arena against other players and given primitive armor, no clubs just battle-axes, maces, swords and shields, etc. lol

2 minutes ago, Crows said:

True. We need Battlegrounds! no flying mounts allowed, only ground. Maybe a giant, refurbished SE-styled Gladiator Colosseum where you're put into the arena against other players and given primitive armor, no clubs just battle-axes, maces, swords and shields, etc. lol

We had this arena event that the alpha hosted in our server was quite fun :)

The winners always got dinos/items :D

Just now, MarkTheArkadian said:

We had this arena event that the alpha hosted in our server was quite fun :)

Oh I can imagine, but I'm talking about official server-hosted battlegrounds where you can queue up/using the Ark and go against players from other clusters which will lead to cosmetic rewards and XP, or something like that. It will probably be tough to get right though. Still, I think Griffin's are awesome even though I don't like PvP being too flyer-orientated.

1 minute ago, Crows said:

Oh I can imagine, but I'm talking about official server-hosted battlegrounds where you can queue up/using the Ark and go against players from other clusters which will lead to cosmetic rewards and XP, or something like that. It will probably be tough to get right though. Still, I think Griffin's are awesome even though I don't like PvP being too flyer-orientated.

Very nice :) would be awesome to have something like that

(Even for people in PvE, that would bring some spice to their gameplay)

6 minutes ago, rawsh said:

got only one question are they faster then wyverns? 

No, on normal sprint flight they are not, however, with the dive speed it might just be possible to get away. You'll just have to be smart in your getaway and pump the health and stamina of your griffin so it can take a hit or two before being able to get away with the dive :)

As the OP said.... it will take skill and brains to pull it off :) I'm definitely gonna try it when i get my hands on one :P 

Just now, Griffin1984 said:

No, on normal sprint flight they are not, however, with the dive speed it might just be possible to get away. You'll just have to be smart in your getaway and pump the health and stamina of your griffin so it can take a hit or two before being able to get away with the dive :)

As the OP said.... it will take skill and brains to pull it off :) I'm definitely gonna try it when i get my hands on one :P 

hp doesnt matter, it would be a travel mount, looking for something less sluggish than wyverns.... but less cheaty than beds, 

35 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

You move your mouse down to dive.

[SKILLS! EXPLOSIONS!]

I seriously can't follow you how a simple dive mechanic can be treated as a gamechanger and finally something skillful in ARK.

No dude... its really skillbased, because of its speed and versatile movement (except turning radius, what is kinda like a debuff) you can travel way faster than a wyvern with it, if you do it right... the dive mechanic is nice on pvp and on pve, for pvp its also pretty interesting that you now can have 2 guys with a gun on 1 flyer  while one of the guys is the rider himself, plus, compared to the slow AF tapa, you can make a REAL quick escape from any poopty situation, but again, if you try to escape, and instead hit the ground and get wrecked: its your fault, and not because you didnt invest a billion years in breeding or farming or grinding, its just because right in that moment you fked it up on your own by now reacting fast enough to keep the momentum PLUS not touching the ground...

5 hours ago, Varanus8 said:

I hope in the coming TLC update

I hate to destroy your dreams, but the TLC (as like they announced it back a couple thousand years (ingame time ofc)) wont come... they sayd they will rework some animations, details on the models etc. but there wont be any new real "features" to any dinos, so besides rex, dodo (eggs), ankylo and maybe spino all of the old dinos will remain useless like they are now, except you just started and need a trike/stego for berries...

About griffins:

I hate that its not breedable, i tried to kill a lvl 90 alpha raptor with my lvl 150 perfect tamed griffin... turned out i needed to take out the flamethrower to assist, because ye... 11K HP wasnt enough to tank that little alpha raptor (im an endgame player, everything below a giga is 'little' for me xD so im used to greater outcomes).

Also that carry restriction is pretty much dumb, it has insane power (if you can expolode into the ground you need to have very strong muscles to compensate the pressure or your bones will be bone meal) AND 4 legs specifically designed to grab things...
I would like it to be able to grab mounts of the size up to a morellatops, that would be nice.

2 hours ago, BulletForce said:

Yeah, it seems like a retreat back to BirdVP.

I don't get it, especially that it has more health that a TRex (Yeah, no saddle I get it, but it's still too high).  Not to mention how horribly trolly the divebomb is going to be.

41 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

No dude... its really skillbased, because of its speed and versatile movement (except turning radius, what is kinda like a debuff) you can travel way faster than a wyvern with it, if you do it right... the dive mechanic is nice on pvp and on pve, for pvp its also pretty interesting that you now can have 2 guys with a gun on 1 flyer  while one of the guys is the rider himself, plus, compared to the slow AF tapa, you can make a REAL quick escape from any poopty situation, but again, if you try to escape, and instead hit the ground and get wrecked: its your fault, and not because you didnt invest a billion years in breeding or farming or grinding, its just because right in that moment you fked it up on your own by now reacting fast enough to keep the momentum PLUS not touching the ground

I know. But you literally have to move your mouse up and down. And I don't see how this is supposed be super skillful when you dive.

11 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

I know. But you literally have to move your mouse up and down. And I don't see how this is supposed be super skillful when you dive.

Eh.. you didnt read my text right?

Its not done by just moving your mouse up and down... if you do not react fast enough in a dense area, you'll get shred very fast in a PVP fight where you do not just try to flee asap.
Also, can you imagine an airborne fight between 2 groups on griffins with 2 riders each? Wanna tell me all they do is moving mouse up and down plain and nothing else?
... maybe ... just maybe ... you should go ingame and USE the mount rather than just reading about it and make some statements here...

Skills involved in Griffin usage:

* Timing
* Estimation of distances
* Knowing when the dive-bomb starts and when the other 2 or 3 steps scaled speedbosts before the dive bomb start
* Based on the previous point: knowing when what boost is appropriate to use,
because, despite fast, divebomb can lock you to the ground for the second the opponent needs to shred you
so sometimes you need the other speed boosts, whose gotta activated based on how steep you turn down, and got different speed accelleration effects
* Reaction - if you do not turn up again fast enough, or touch ANYTHING while airborne in speedboost, the griffin will land, and thus youre screwed or at least what you wanted to do got interrupted now and gives the enemy an opportunity to screw you up

There is not a single mount ingame that involves a that large skillset.
All of them are working the following way:

* Breed for 8 months
* Run/Fly towards enemy
* Leftclick with macro until enemy is dead

Exceptions are the megalania and the thylacoleo, whose are also great mounts with awesome mechanics (despite not so skillbased like griffin). The rest is a clickspam.

4 hours ago, BulletForce said:

But you're ok with Rexs running around shooting lasers out of their heads? xD

For the record I agree with you though, this game seems to be deviating further and further away from what originally atracted a lot of people to it. Tek tier is a farce to be honest, dinosaurs with lasers and people flying around on jet packs, what part of dino survival is that then? sheesh. 

3 hours ago, BulletForce said:

I don't know if it's magical, man. At this point, I'm about 90% sure that every animal on ARK is just some genetically engineered construct. Some more than others, but they're all some manner of unnatural. 

That said, I do think land animals should have more of a focus. But, at the same time, the only real thing the Griffin has over some of the better land mounts is an 'awesome' factor. Sure, it can be speedy with that dive, but it's got trash weight, melee and turning radius. And it can't be bred into ridiculous stats. You're probably better off using a Thylacoleo or a Dire Bear in most situations. The dual-rider weaponry is cool, but I imagine that most are gonna have to stop or at least come to a crawl when on the Griffin to use weapons effectively. 

3 hours ago, MarkTheArkadian said:

I agree there is a good amount of choice for flyers already i feel like pvp should be more land based.

It cant be though.  Until they remove turrets and plant x anything that isnt a turtle is going to be lit up so fast you might as well have just unclaimed them and left them in the wild before you even went on the raid

56 minutes ago, Antitheft2 said:

For the record I agree with you though, this game seems to be deviating further and further away from what originally atracted a lot of people to it. Tek tier is a farce to be honest, dinosaurs with lasers and people flying around on jet packs, what part of dino survival is that then? sheesh. 

+1,  I consider TEK tier as a definitely bad thing, especially the lazershark kind of items. Honestly, most of it is garbage, not really used by people. For example the WHOLE underwater base part is ignored by almost everyone, as underwater bases are expensive to run without any actual benefit. 

Lazer on a Rex? Why? for what? People flying like Ironman? For what?

Personally the only things I do like in TEK tier are the  doors and the transmitters - because of there quality of life improvement :)

4 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

+1,  I consider TEK tier as a definitely bad thing, especially the lazershark kind of items. Honestly, most of it is garbage, not really used by people. For example the WHOLE underwater base part is ignored by almost everyone, as underwater bases are expensive to run without any actual benefit. 

Lazer on a Rex? Why? for what? People flying like Ironman? For what?

Personally the only things I do like in TEK tier are the  doors and the transmitters - because of there quality of life improvement :)

Heh, I've just completed a massive 80% underwater base but none of it with tek tier, all metal (and some using the glassmetal mod) so you have to swim around it, but that makes it more fun to me, interconnecting tunnels between rooms, underwater lighting (another mod) and a massive underwater fully enclosed dino pen with a smaller open pool suspended from the above water part of the base with underwater doors. but I digress and that's not what this thread is about, so I'll shut up and post pics of it somewhere else at some point :)

1 hour ago, Antitheft2 said:

I'm not a big fan of tek tier and have never said I like it. That said its generally expensive enough that it is very rare to see anyone using that stuff on most servers so atm its not a major issue although I'm still not a fan. If you ask me the game was most fun back around late 2015 before Quetzals and Gigas showed up and when flyers were not so strong. There was a lot more variety back then when it came to combat.

9 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

I'm not a big fan of tek tier and have never said I like it. That said its generally expensive enough that it is very rare to see anyone using that stuff on most servers so atm its not a major issue although I'm still not a fan. If you ask me the game was most fun back around late 2015 before Quetzals and Gigas showed up and when flyers were not so strong. There was a lot more variety back then when it came to combat.

Old times were always better than the present... grandpa style, typical human tought "issue" :D

I always said Civ I was the best game in the Civilization series until I gave atry recently and realised the newer ones are definitely better. It just the human mind what makes past things better. 

Archived