Efficient Strategies to Get Started

SexyBeast

So I want to get to the good stuff sooner on new characters, my current strategy is to start near Herbivore island and start collecting resources and leveling until I get a boat and start making a starter base there until I get to the forge and smithy I then go to the herb island get metal stuff, and rocks and a trike, then I go to the rock peninsula to get stone and to the ice to get more essentials ie metal oil crystal and pearls. 

Thats what I have for my setup as I go to the snow for stage 2.

What are some starter strategies you all use for efficiency and any suggestions or tips?

IMG_4331.PNG

I just have to say I love this boat not exacly what I wanted. but beneath the floors I can lay down to use the space under the ceilings as storage and mortar and pestle stuff compacting, lets me put beds pestles and small storage so I can leave the house for the fab forges and smithy and all that.

It depends on PVP or PVE. I've only played PVP so I'll give starter advice with that in mind.

There are two paths:

1. The "new player path". Honestly just play the game at your own speed. You are going to get wiped, you are not going to have any clue of the dynamics of the game so enjoy running from Carno and taming raptors or whatnot. This is your honeymoon period with ark so enjoy it before it cheats on you with your best friend/dad. 

2. The "experienced" player: Hit as many notes as possible to level up. There is no item safety until you are able to craft vaults and even then there isn't much safety. I agree on building a raft. Build small and build a couple bases. Only have the necessities. Once you can build auto turrets and vaults you can expand your base. Keep tamed dinos to a min, maybe a couple ptera and argies. I also like direbears because they are multi purpose (berries, fiber, meat) mounts that can be stored much easier than rex's. Honestly levels are a huge limitation since you can't craft many of the necessities until you reach a relatively high level.

5 minutes ago, DetectiveAtLarge said:

It depends on PVP or PVE. I've only played PVP so I'll give starter advice with that in mind.

There are two paths:

1. The "new player path". Honestly just play the game at your own speed. You are going to get wiped, you are not going to have any clue of the dynamics of the game so enjoy running from Carno and taming raptors or whatnot. This is your honeymoon period with ark so enjoy it before it cheats on you with your best friend/dad. 

2. The "experienced" player: Hit as many notes as possible to level up. There is no item safety until you are able to craft vaults and even then there isn't much safety. I agree on building a raft. Build small and build a couple bases. Only have the necessities. Once you can build auto turrets and vaults you can expand your base. Keep tamed dinos to a min, maybe a couple ptera and argies. I also like direbears because they are multi purpose (berries, fiber, meat) mounts that can be stored much easier than rex's. Honestly levels are a huge limitation since you can't craft many of the necessities until you reach a relatively high level.

Yeah I agree I found that you can stay very well undetected (only done this on the center) if you take a huge risk of making it for the snow areas. So you build a tiny raft to go back to if it don't work out buy you get your trike and all that stuff to follow you as you try to either go behind the green oby or I have a spot I love at the top of the north mountain. I barely made it up without getting killed by wolves I lost all my dinos. But I was able to place a foundation down and a few sleeping bags so I could easily get my stuff back, had enough to make myself a tiny stone base there. like 3x1 stone with fire and all that it was pressed against the mountain so hard too see not to high either there was a bit of mountain above so I got that base there and making sure to leave all the trees I was never found there it was at the perfect spot and covered by trees risky as hell to get to so no one visited and if they were searching for ppl they had a hard time finding me especially when I used a thatch cover roof and painted the whole building white. blended in well. Was able to make a nice metal base complete with a generator super compact though 2x6 with a pop out for gen. and a dino storage indoor for my 2 wolfs. So yeah snow and laying low works adn lots of safety. 

I have not verified his claims on efficiency, but parachuting yourself and resources around the map is great for early going because you can move more resources than the earlier fliers (usually) and you don't have the overhead of needing a flier early. It's more versatile than rafting because you can get to inland targets much easier, but definitely takes practice.

Right now, I've got a forge house hidden near the "mountain" with decent metal and a few crystal in the Southern Isles. I mine all the metal, refine it, then float out with it to where ever it's needed in my network of hidden bases and caches in the Southern half of the map. I'm small and leveling so haven't tried the dead drop method mentioned in the other thread (don't care about moving that much metal in one shot), jumping off an edge and opening the parachute is good enough for me at the moment.

Like I said it does take a lot of practice to hit or at least get close to what you're aiming at, but I also found it incredibly fun. Take some expendable gear craft ~5 parachutes and see how far you can get gliding from high point to high point. Be like a flying squirrel!

By the way WC, can we get a wingsuit? Basically a reusable parachute that has durability :-).

22 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

I have not verified his claims on efficiency, but parachuting yourself and resources around the map is great for early going because you can move more resources than the earlier fliers (usually) and you don't have the overhead of needing a flier early. It's more versatile than rafting because you can get to inland targets much easier, but definitely takes practice.

Parachutes are awesome. I never really appreciated them until last year when I was watching SotF matches on Twitch. That's when I realized how versatile they are. But yes, it definitely takes practice. I've managed to deliver myself into the mouth of a Rex a time or two by not paying enough attention on the way down.

3 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

Parachutes are awesome. I never really appreciated them until last year when I was watching SotF matches on Twitch. That's when I realized how versatile they are. But yes, it definitely takes practice. I've managed to deliver myself into the mouth of a Rex a time or two by not paying enough attention on the way down.

Haha, I know, so many times I overshot right into something dangerous. Also, like real parachuting night jumps are pretty much pro status :-).

Archived