Lets talk about the fact of way too much servers out there

Toni

I don't understand the logic behind this thread... Why do you care that there a few players on servers again? Maybe these people want to play a on server with little to no people. You are pretty much asking people to be forced onto a smaller amount of servers for x reason. You're assuming people get frustrated and leave the game, meanwhile this game has been consistently doing well in steam charts. Badly administrated servers? I've played for over 1.5k hours and only been to 1-2 bad servers. The whole meme that unofficial is bad is blown way out of proportion by people who joined unofficial got unlucky with a bad server (or just straight up picked server without caring).

>Have a look at all the forum posts of yesterday. So many admins which tryed to host Ragnarok but runned into problems because they simply do not have the knowhow how to host.

So just because someone doesn't know much about hosting they should be excluded from it altogether? Nice one.

>New players are going to servers which have very high rates (Because they do not wan't to invest much time for farming). Most of this players doesn't know that such servers with very high rates, do need wipes very often. 

'most' What are you basing this on? If someone doesn't know that a high times server needs to wipe often for obvious reasons, it's their for fault for not being logical and assuming as much. If they leave the game completely because of this, this is also their fault. Quitting a game just because you got wiped is absolutely insane.

What i described above is a Win Win solution for 90% and more out there... and it would generate you more money

Less variety for the players, less servers for people to host, less options for friends to play with each other.. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it would benefit 90% of us.

18 hours ago, Griffin1984 said:

I believe a big issue here is the single player mode taking waaaaaay to long to load.

This has made it nearly impossible to do for casual solo players, so they rent a server just for themselves. If this would be fixed, i'm sure server count would decrease :)

Is this true? I mean I won't mind waiting 5 minutes to load Ark w/ mods on my 1070 but if you're saying it'll take even longer, i'd like to know.

23 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

Is this true? I mean I won't mind waiting 5 minutes to load Ark w/ mods on my 1070 but if you're saying it'll take even longer, i'd like to know.

It's not true for me with a 970 and a 4690k. I use SP to test mods before I add them to my server. It doesn't take that much longer than connecting to a server does, when you factor in the time that you watch the mods loading when connecting to a server, while on SP it's in the background. It's a few minutes at the most usually. Now yes, it runs better overall connected to a server than in SP, but the difference isn't nearly as drastic for me as it used to be.

25 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

It's not true for me with a 970 and a 4690k. I use SP to test mods before I add them to my server. It doesn't take that much longer than connecting to a server does, when you factor in the time that you watch the mods loading when connecting to a server, while on SP it's in the background. It's a few minutes at the most usually. Now yes, it runs better overall connected to a server than in SP, but the difference isn't nearly as drastic for me as it used to be.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was an over exaggeration. Some people have no patience

2 hours ago, ShawnWolf said:

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was an over exaggeration. Some people have no patience

2 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

Sadly for me it isn't an exaggeration :( sometimes it takes 15mins, sometimes up to 20 (depending on how much has to be loaded in from the save file. I've had this long load time since the introduction of PGM's. Before it was 5mins maybe even less. And yes i load from an ssd, here are my specs:

i5 6600k, asus gaming MOBO, asus gtx 960 strix gpu with 4G ram, 16GB ddr5 ram 2300MHz and a 500GB ssd samsung evo

I've tried everything i could think of including verifying files, re-install, useallcore and directx options at launch, shootergame on high priority.

While loading a normal server with mods it takes about 20 or 30 secs, on single player it seems that once the map-piece where my char is is loaded, it just stalls for 10+mins.

If any of you can help me with this i'm all ears :) 

6 hours ago, Griffin1984 said:

Sadly for me it isn't an exaggeration :( sometimes it takes 15mins, sometimes up to 20 (depending on how much has to be loaded in from the save file. I've had this long load time since the introduction of PGM's. Before it was 5mins maybe even less. And yes i load from an ssd, here are my specs:

That's sad. :( I'm not even running Ark off my SSD right now (because it's the world's largest game, apparently, and it outgrew it). This is gonna sound dumb and counter-intuitive, but have you tried moving it to a standard hard drive? Your specs are fine so there has to be something that isn't working as it should, and SSDs do sometimes have problems.

4 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

That's sad. :( I'm not even running Ark off my SSD right now (because it's the world's largest game, apparently, and it outgrew it). This is gonna sound dumb and counter-intuitive, but have you tried moving it to a standard hard drive? Your specs are fine so there has to be something that isn't working as it should, and SSDs do sometimes have problems.

no, it's not the ssd, i know this because i had it on a hdd before like you. the long loading times are only on single player and only on ark and where also this long on hdd, hence why i upgraded :) . GTAv now loads in secs where it took a few minutes before. All i can think off is a problem with one of the files when loading but verifying and re-install didn't help. 

I run a ragnarok server for me and a few friends! Only 15 slots but still if word of mouth spreads and someone else wants to join thats fine! if not all good too :) I am not worried either way! I have some players and if anyone else wants to join us they are most welcome! I am currently building a community center area in the scottish area for new players so they can get there horse etc easily! But its up to people to join when they want too! I wont pressure them! And if no one joins that is fine I still have a great time with friends, the official dino level override which makes level 700 wild dinos and 10 lifestyle mods for building etc! As I am keeping dinos etc as vanilla as possible! Characters also don't get extra engrams or levels you get vanilla stats for that and its fun! Either way I am just basically leaving it to word of mouth for if people want to join it or not :)

You've already proven you are biased towards unofficial servers with your points, not to mention increasing player count on official servers, especially considering they are in clusters, would strain their current hardware even more and thereby provide a worse experience than people already have. So, how about no?

I'm definitely in the less servers is a bad thing camp. First this analysis really shouldn't even include unofficials; I think a big selling point on ark is that "hobby" admins can set up a server for themselves and whoever they like customized to their hearts content without huge expense or overhead. Some servers having 2 active players is the whole point of the system and really doesn't impact anyone who isn't playing there.

Even for officials, it can be brutally hard to get established on some servers that average ~20 players at any given time, and performance often takes a nose dive when there are 50+ players anyway.

What I think would help, a lot, is much more information and filtering about each server right in the ark interface. The solution now is to look at Battlemetrics, but honestly I'd like even more info than is provided there (but I'm a data junky). If you want populated servers, it would be so much easier to find them if you could say filter for servers with 50+ average online players over the last month.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:59 AM, Toni said:

3. Add a average server fps indicator to the serverbrowser (Very simple to technically implement)

This though is an excellent idea at least in theory. Only real issue I foresee is mega/alpha tribes doing something to slow the server way down when they aren't online / using that server to make it less desirable to come into, but that's easy to do it's probably already being done (make raiding harder). I have no idea if that's "technically very simple to implement" considering we don't even have stuff like average online player count over time though.

1 hour ago, Arkasaurio said:

This though is an excellent idea at least in theory. Only real issue I foresee is mega/alpha tribes doing something to slow the server way down when they aren't online / using that server to make it less desirable to come into, but that's easy to do it's probably already being done (make raiding harder). I have no idea if that's "technically very simple to implement" considering we don't even have stuff like average online player count over time though.

Actually these mega alpha tribes do it for raiding to make raiding easier so turrets do not shoot.

Archived