Official PVE developer favoring certain tribes for pillar decay timers

Zed38

On our server pve-officialserver38 it looks like pillars (with no spawn block attacked) are 11 days stone, yet some other tribes are 1 day, and some others are a few hours... all tribes have been active today in the area.

So it appears we are experiencing admin abuse via this recent change for pillar decay by favoring some tribes over others under the same conditions.

Is this happening on other official pve?

Additionally, it appears that some pillars were removed, but other pillars from other tribes were left untouched. in some cases, some pillars seemingly at random were removed amongst several pillars in the area. The majority of pillars protecting metal spawn on mountains were left untouched.

Favored ? let me tell you something. I have been playing this game since the beginning, every single pillar I owned before this update was protecting resources, making sure the server i play was functioning well and everyone was happy. I stopped newbies from building on spots that the whole community used. Nobody has ever once complained about the placements of my pillars. If there was ever a person that would be favored to have longer timers on their pillars, it would be me... unfortunately i logged on today to find that all the pillars protecting resources on my server were gone. completely vulnerable to be blocked by foundations... And I don't even have the resources to replace them at the moment.

28 minutes ago, SilverScythe said:

Favored ? let me tell you something. I have been playing this game since the beginning, every single pillar I owned before this update was protecting resources, making sure the server i play was functioning well and everyone was happy. I stopped newbies from building on spots that the whole community used. Nobody has ever once complained about the placements of my pillars. If there was ever a person that would be favored to have longer timers on their pillars, it would be me... unfortunately i logged on today to find that all the pillars protecting resources on my server were gone. completely vulnerable to be blocked by foundations... And I don't even have the resources to replace them at the moment.

we are doing the same, and suspect this is why the patch is coming out - smaller tribes are banding together to ticket us for resource protection.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

Nah, they are not favoring anyone. They rushed that change, normal it is not working as intended; what did you expect? That they get it right first try? Where have you been the past 2 years? xD

Here is whats going to happen -

1. expect to see 12 high pillars with a ceiling on top to protect high density metal spawns.

2. foundation+pillar for land control, where there used to be only 2 pillars (same effect, but now it block spawns)

3. PVE servers will have their metal built (and blocked) on if their alphas are not on their toes with this nerf

4. some tribes will lose land to those who were awake when the change took place today, likey land that was right beside their bases

the net effect of this VERY POORLY thought out knee-jerk reaction to the pillar problem will be EVERYONE LOSES.

/golfclap.

Devs, if you really are serious about solving/compromising to solve the pillar spam problem properly, you need to engage your longterm playerbase. Open discussion on the topic and get feedback. You will get a LOT of feedback on this topic. Take the best offered solutions, throw them into a voting booth and let the players decide how to proceed. I guarantee you if this is done you will get better solutions than... this.... mess that's been made.

we've used the pillars on our server as well to protect resources where we can and to reduce the lag on the island beaches because nobody can get it in their head that there are other places to build. Some parts of the south beach looks like a shanty town littered with half built thatch huts that like you down anytime you come near them cause there is no spacing of them. Shame this isn't a more thought out plan on WC part as it seems more of a way to appease the new comers who come that they can't walk ten feet to put down a campfire cause their too lazy to treat it like the survival game that it's suppose to be. Get off the beach and you will find spots to build.... sorry you came in six months late to the party.

29 minutes ago, Zed38 said:

Here is whats going to happen -

1. expect to see 12 high pillars with a ceiling on top to protect high density metal spawns.

2. foundation+pillar for land control, where there used to be only 2 pillars (same effect, but now it block spawns)

3. PVE servers will have their metal built (and blocked) on if their alphas are not on their toes with this nerf

4. some tribes will lose land to those who were awake when the change took place today, likey land that was right beside their bases

the net effect of this VERY POORLY thought out knee-jerk reaction to the pillar problem will be EVERYONE LOSES.

/golfclap.

Devs, if you really are serious about solving/compromising to solve the pillar spam problem properly, you need to engage your longterm playerbase. Open discussion on the topic and get feedback. You will get a LOT of feedback on this topic. Take the best offered solutions, throw them into a voting booth and let the players decide how to proceed. I guarantee you if this is done you will get better solutions than... this.... mess that's been made.

wait, Does the heightof the pillar really matter if there is a ceiling built on it ? wont it just block the spawn anyways ? ... if this is actually a solution, i will get on my feet right now and make those high pillars to protect the spawns. i don;t care if the map looks like a pinboard after this, at least the metal spawns will be safe.

They should just hit Ctrl + A on all their PVE servers and push DELETE. It would solve so many issues, so many pointless complaints and free up developer time to work on actual real issues affecting the game instead of screwing around trying to keep a small group of players that can't handle real competition happy.

3 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

They should just hit Ctrl + A on all their PVE servers and push DELETE. It would solve so many issues, so many pointless complaints and free up developer time to work on actual real issues affecting the game instead of screwing around trying to keep a small group of players that can't handle real competition happy.

Eh, you do know that most of us on PVE also play PVP right ? , we play PVE to enjoy the community, and peaceful progression of the game. And we play PVP for the thrill of combat. Trust me, there is a lot more to the game than just blowing eachother up, and you only really experience that in PVE. Also "small group of players" ... try more than half the community lol.

Personally I understand and accept both the pro and contra side of the pillars autodespawn functionality. THe devs definitely needed to do something, but this change raises different issues. EG: how to protect metal obsi spots on PVE servers after this?

So they solved the "we cant build because of the pillars" issue, and now have a "we cant mine because of the stupid people killing the spawns" issue...

Honestly, I have no idea what would be the proper solution....

on PVP servers it is not an issue, C4 can solve everything :D .. hmmm.. maybe an idea: how about to enable standalone pillar destruction with C4 even on PVE servers?

4 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

Personally I understand and accept both the pro and contra side of the pillars autodespawn functionality. THe devs definitely needed to do something, but this change raises different issues. EG: how to protect metal obsi spots on PVE servers after this?

So they solved the "we cant build because of the pillars" issue, and now have a "we cant mine because of the stupid people killing the spawns" issue...

on PVP servers it is not an issue, C4 can solve everything :D .. hmmm.. maybe an idea: how about to enable standalone pillar destruction with C4 even on PVE servers?

This is my solution 

4 minutes ago, SilverScythe said:

This is my solution 

At first glance it sounds good, my only concern that with this change you couln't even build in any places if there is alonely metal or crystal spot present (like caves in The center). So this would require big map cleanup, to remove lonely resource spots. But yeah, maybe it is not a big deal...

2 hours ago, SilverScythe said:

wait, Does the heightof the pillar really matter if there is a ceiling built on it ? wont it just block the spawn anyways ? ... if this is actually a solution, i will get on my feet right now and make those high pillars to protect the spawns. i don;t care if the map looks like a pinboard after this, at least the metal spawns will be safe.

yes it does. foundations and ceilings block roughly 8 ceilings distance in a sphere around it. you have to build a little extra high just to be sure (and to take into consideration any future changes in resource block config), and if it's on a slope with metal on uphill side, a few extra pillars again to ensure it isnt blocking the metal there.

I would suggest making the tall pillars with ceiling on top right in the middle of the dense metal spawns. Dont bother protecting the singles at the bottom of hills or whatnot.

It will look like crap, but the alternative is NO METAL.

2 hours ago, BulletForce said:

So there's roughly the same number of PVE official as there are PVP. Are you suggesting that PVP should take priority over PVE? That's what it seems you are saying here. What are you basing this on?

You do understand how this makes you look, right?

1 hour ago, szabiferi said:

that wouldnt stop double pillaring, and is incidentally why double pillars are used now because of Single Structure Wipe passes. If they raised it to 2-item structures, all gates would get destroyed.

This whole issue is because Ragnarok - there's rampant thatch foundation and pillar spam all over the map, i am assuming on all the PVE Ragnaroks. That, and just like the quetzal food stealth nerf (which caused hundreds of quetzals to die) previously, which was followed up with a per server quetzal build limit. Or before that, the 2 hour Low-Decay nerf, which caused a LOT of structure loss, and dino claim timer nerf that caused a lot of dinos to be stolen - all unannounced of course, and patched 2 hours later. Or before that, the single pillar wipe, which was also unannounced which caused protected land to lose protection (and like we have now, allowing people to build breaking spawns). It's a pattern of cleaning up a mess temporarily. It's lazy.

Devs want new people to be welcome? Drop down NOBUILD over the high concentration resources. That one change would stop the need to pillar spam to protect them. Then just carry on with your desired decay timers on non-spawn-blocking structures. Doesnt solve people placing foundation+Pillar, or whatnot... but it's a start.

You really want to prevent spam? How about this: tie in a per-tribemember limit to building items that have less than 3 connected structures. Higher level players get more. more tribe members get more. more boss completion will give a bonus. ascention gives a bonus. If you want to get really serious, make the limit for all structures in total. BOOM. no more 10 person tribes with 1 mega base per person. forces people to tribe up and.... you know... play a multiplayer game with multi players more. If the limits are done right, the larger and older tribes will still have room to grow, but be more selective in where they place stuff. It's the same effect you've had on placing 500 dino cap per tribe. A side effect of this? You will sell more ark games to those who want more build slots (shell accounts). Less server load (server resources cost money), because a lot of bases would need to be demolished, forcing large tribes to live together, or in fewer bases. Not perfect solution by any means, but it would solve a LOT of problems.

2 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Proper solution would be that foundations no longer block hard resources like metal/crystal/obsidian but do block dino spawns within your base. 

Campfires, spikewalls and other knick knacks used for taming and protecting a downed animal should be able to be placed next to an existing pillar under the understanding that once placed next to an opposing tribes structure the decay timer has a hard coded decay time, such as 1.5 hours, regardless of render or snap

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, szabiferi said:

So anyone can  confirm or deny if this change does not affect double pillars?

(I would like to keep alive my deep sea lootcrate markering pillars)

It does affect double pillars. Don't trust the timers you are seeing; as soon as they are rendered, if they are 12 hours or more expired they gets deleted. I myself lost my double pillars in the dunes for the crates so unless you run them twice a day you will lose them too unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

It does affect double pillars. Don't trust the timers you are seeing; as soon as they are rendered, if they are 12 hours or more expired they gets deleted. I myself lost my double pillars in the dunes for the crates so unless you run them twice a day you will lose them too unfortunately.

Thanks. So either I should put a ceiling on the already existing pillars, or drop a foundation instead of the pillar.... I dont really care resource spawn, it is about marking the lootcrates to find their location easier during my runs and as far as I know spawn blocking structures have no effect on the lootcrate spawns...

Surely I wont run twice a day, Im a worker and I dont like being controlled by a computer game :D

Archived