Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

36 minutes ago, Vernichtung said:

1a) Experience, I joined the ARK on one server which was not to my liking. As such I used the filters to determine which servers had a low population during my peak gaming time. I use this basis for my average. If the server only has 10 people playing on it on Friday nights, Sat and Sundays it is fairly safe to say it is a low populated / low activity server.

1b) Yes I'm aware of that.

2) Pillars were just as selfish! Albeit were not as pronounced. By placing pillars EVERYWHERE you are preventing new players from getting a start in the game and it isn't necessary. Build your base, make an effort not to block other people from traveling freely and don't be a douche it's so simple!

3) I agree with this however I suggest it should also include people deliberately claiming excessive land with pillars. Should herb/carno island be fenced entirely by one tribe of 4 people? Do they deserve the right to withhold access to the area and the very rare resources on it from other players? It's absurd and obscene and had it not been my tribe leader asking me not to report the offending tribe to the devs I would have shown the chat screenshots of them stating they were doing it to deliberately deny access to other players.

4) You don't own the land! Make a base and claim a reasonable area of land and allow others to do the same. Anything else is selfish! Take for example herb island on my server. Is it reasonable to claim the entire island for this? (see attached image)

5) A tribe of 5 still has the ability to have 5 bases, if not limited there is the potential for one tribe to take control of huge areas of the map. Ie deny access to caves, obelisks etc. It's about reducing their ability to do so. The size of your tribe is simply symbolic in PVE, it's not an achievement like in PVP where it shows your ability. In PVE people simply grab as much land as possible and prevent others from playing and pat themselves on the back for being a douche. Therefore in PVE steps need to be taken to reduce this exploitation and allow equal access to resources for all players. 

6)If there were a limit to the area a person or tribe could build this wouldn't be an issue would it? Rather what we have is 60% of the land mass 80% of build-able terrain being "owned" by the top tribes in the server denying access to anyone else. So if your base has enough room for someone else to wake up and think this is a perfect place for me to build...... perhaps you are the problem?

7)It isn't the same experience! The people who "own" all the land simply grabbed it before others could and held onto it. They didn't have to travel the beach for days to find a place to live they caused that issue! Their fix for the pillar problem is perfect! Now people are breaking the rules and deliberately denying access to resources..... As such the devs could enforce their own rules and start removing the people who are ruining the game! It's a win win in my opinion.

Inked20170618233653_1_LI__1497835544_42675.jpg

1a) So your going with your peak gaming hours to determine a servers population? seems a little biased does it not? is it possible that a server could have a high population of 30/70 from 10am-5pm weekdays but since you only scouted it on the weekend for fri-sun 10pm - 1am kinda thing (only having 10 or lower.) would that still not be a high pop server?

1b) Again this could be better with Server's tame capacity precentage or something, current population is a little biased on just that info alone.

2)Not everyone placed them selfishly. A couple bad apples spoil the bunch though.

3)  On a PVP server yes if a tribe can get a hold of Herb/carno island Fencing it in should be expected if you intend to hold it but thats strategy. On PVE no because they are blocking access to an Artifact cave Herb island really shouldnt have a reason to fence it in i could see a tribe pillaring it though. (If they did only this built there base in the little cove area are they evil or protecting?) and by rare resource you mean metal? if they were doing it deliberately and you believe it wrong why did you not? ( i know your tribe leader asked you, but it comes to the if you were asked to jump off a bridge thing....)

4)Actually from the looks of it they built UP! the thing is reasonable chunk of land depends on how many creatures you have if they were tribe tame capped. it actually be fairly reasonable to have possibly taken most of herby island. (if they packed em in tight.) so looks like the gave their dinos a bit of breathing room?

5) I guess i run across the few that aren't deliberately denying access  to people because they make sure there are ways to pass by bases on foot. (or with a large creature.) I guess this is the exception?

6)Except being fresh and new to the game its like (GOD I NEEED SAFETY, must build 1x1 thatch hut. ive played for 3600 hours and that is still my go to instinct *Must make safety*) id assume that would definitely be a new players reaction, so correct me if im wrong. but again im talking a lot from experience and most of the "Alpha tribes" Are happy to assist new players, when the server isn't at tame cap. once that hits we get plagued with "Why isnt my dodo taming?" Despite warning people That the server is usually tame capped.

7) oh odd i had to travel the beach for days before i found a spot

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so far for land this has been ok but bad for resources. I have already had to talk to 2 tribes myself to get them to move buildings in metal spawns cause we have not been able to protect these spawns. If you're going to make it impossible to protect spawns, at least make it that someone cant build on precious resources such as metal.... also could've been a little more time given for people trying to keep land they plan to build on; had multiple people lose good spots they were building on and had 2 tribes pillar right next to my base immediately...

49 minutes ago, Scrymgarr said:

1a) So your going with your peak gaming hours to determine a servers population? seems a little biased does it not? is it possible that a server could have a high population of 30/70 from 10am-5pm weekdays but since you only scouted it on the weekend for fri-sun 10pm - 1am kinda thing (only having 10 or lower.) would that still not be a high pop server?

1b) Again this could be better with Server's tame capacity precentage or something, current population is a little biased on just that info alone.

2)Not everyone placed them selfishly. A couple bad apples spoil the bunch though.

3)  On a PVP server yes if a tribe can get a hold of Herb/carno island Fencing it in should be expected if you intend to hold it but thats strategy. On PVE no because they are blocking access to an Artifact cave Herb island really shouldnt have a reason to fence it in i could see a tribe pillaring it though. (If they did only this built there base in the little cove area are they evil or protecting?) and by rare resource you mean metal? if they were doing it deliberately and you believe it wrong why did you not? ( i know your tribe leader asked you, but it comes to the if you were asked to jump off a bridge thing....)

4)Actually from the looks of it they built UP! the thing is reasonable chunk of land depends on how many creatures you have if they were tribe tame capped. it actually be fairly reasonable to have possibly taken most of herby island. (if they packed em in tight.) so looks like the gave their dinos a bit of breathing room?

5) I guess i run across the few that aren't deliberately denying access  to people because they make sure there are ways to pass by bases on foot. (or with a large creature.) I guess this is the exception?

6)Except being fresh and new to the game its like (GOD I NEEED SAFETY, must build 1x1 thatch hut. ive played for 3600 hours and that is still my go to instinct *Must make safety*) id assume that would definitely be a new players reaction, so correct me if im wrong. but again im talking a lot from experience and most of the "Alpha tribes" Are happy to assist new players, when the server isn't at tame cap. once that hits we get plagued with "Why isnt my dodo taming?" Despite warning people That the server is usually tame capped.

7) oh odd i had to travel the beach for days before i found a spot

1a)Yes because the peak gaming hours I have available are indicative of the peak gaming hours for the vast majority of players. Failing that here are the stats for this server. https://arkservers.net/server/54.206.115.5:27015/sponsor

It shows the highest number of players at any given time during the last month was 20. Like I said there are tons of resources to find server stats.

2) Then the "couple of bad apples" need to be plucked and removed from the tree so they don't contaminate the rest of the "good apples" ;).

3)Well Herb island is fenced on my server..... a PVE server. Would that then be considered anti-social by you? Yes the metal nodes on the southern part of the island are hard to come by. Herb island is the easiest place for newbies to get metal (that I have found) yet on my server it's fenced and pillared. Now pillared with ceilings to prevent anything spawning. 
I am not going to pursue it right now as I want to see how the devs are going to respond (my bet is wipe the servers as people simply refuse to play fair, however I hope they just wipe the tribes / players guilty of it) and I am concerned that perusing it will motivate the other large tribes guilty of the same petulant childish behavior to rally against my tribe leader unfairly as he does not agree with my views on this.  I wouldn't want to be to blame for an alpha / Titan to be kited to his base.

4) Yes they built up yet still claimed EVERYTHING in the X and Y. Now they think it's reasonable to block the nodes from other paying customers of the franchise...... See the problem here?

5) Yup my base (beach) has a path around it allowing players to pass with a sign at both ends letting them know. I had a row of pillars around it so that people couldn't block it in but they have expired so be it.

6)Alpha tribes not in my experience, it's the smaller tribes willing to help from my perspective. However each server is different and each person has a different experience.

:x

The pillar change is awful ~ We already have someone who built in our base the last time they changed pillars and he is still there... It's a little shack in our pond built out of metal just because the guy is a jerk neighbor :( So to avoid him doing it again I have to ruin the trees and stuff that I like spawned in and around the base to keep him out that isn't right ~ Wildcard you can't always listen to the people who look for 10 mins and can't built on any of the good spots ~ Any server has somewhere to build if you actually go out there and look ~ Make a new island where people can build shacks that will expire no matter what and can't be built on again by that player to give them a place to start until they can tame a mount to go look or just something else ~ Please don't get rid of one of the few defenses we have in pve please

2 hours ago, drfudgems said:

I really hope they aren't bringing this change to consoles

i hope they do. have a jerk that put a pillar in my building ground and far beyond his base he pillar evrything.. our they need to go police the servers more. 

our a system that claimes groumd bases on the building. the bigger the building the bigger the claimed ground

1 pillar blocks a to big piece of ground. the protecting spawn resources need to be solved in anotherway.  it now is used to much as a grieving thing

3 minutes ago, jayden5021 said:

Does it affect double pillars or foundations? For example, 2 foundations snapped, or 2 pillars snapped?

It affects only pillars, does not matter how many on them on each other. SIngle or double or 40 pillars on top of each other. 

Foundations were not ever mentioned and they are not affected. 

4 hours ago, Unordung said:

1a)Yes because the peak gaming hours I have available are indicative of the peak gaming hours for the vast majority of players. Failing that here are the stats for this server. https://arkservers.net/server/54.206.115.5:27015/sponsor

It shows the highest number of players at any given time during the last month was 20. Like I said there are tons of resources to find server stats.

2) Then the "couple of bad apples" need to be plucked and removed from the tree so they don't contaminate the rest of the "good apples" ;).

3)Well Herb island is fenced on my server..... a PVE server. Would that then be considered anti-social by you? Yes the metal nodes on the southern part of the island are hard to come by. Herb island is the easiest place for newbies to get metal (that I have found) yet on my server it's fenced and pillared. Now pillared with ceilings to prevent anything spawning. 
I am not going to pursue it right now as I want to see how the devs are going to respond (my bet is wipe the servers as people simply refuse to play fair, however I hope they just wipe the tribes / players guilty of it) and I am concerned that perusing it will motivate the other large tribes guilty of the same petulant childish behavior to rally against my tribe leader unfairly as he does not agree with my views on this.  I wouldn't want to be to blame for an alpha / Titan to be kited to his base.

4) Yes they built up yet still claimed EVERYTHING in the X and Y. Now they think it's reasonable to block the nodes from other paying customers of the franchise...... See the problem here?

5) Yup my base (beach) has a path around it allowing players to pass with a sign at both ends letting them know. I had a row of pillars around it so that people couldn't block it in but they have expired so be it.

6)Alpha tribes not in my experience, it's the smaller tribes willing to help from my perspective. However each server is different and each person has a different experience.

1) The issue here is when i see people cry about these numbers they arent even aware of sites like this. so bravo to you for using your resources. 

2) Welp people gotta call poop out.... and then they actaully need to pluck them. (at this point thats in WCs hands and they really have yet to act on their poop for this from what ive seen).

3) Again the issue with this YES the community's response is poor, but how do you communicate with someone when they aren't responding to your attempts communicating positively..... You are going to go for the negative response then..... the problem with this is (and i can say from my experience..... Positive communication skills aren't really working) So Again open to such suggestions of protest of this change, that doesn't fall on deaf ears.... because to be honest Ive thrown far to many tantrums in my life and yeah ill be selfish and pillar and foundation the poop i had pillared before to keep pathways open. I mean is it fair [][][][][][][] set up behind me and now i can't leave my base beacause they have locked gates? (i have gates yes but i keep gates unlocked for passage) 

4) it looks like they may have tribe capped. meaning they may need everything in X and Y...... who are you to say they do not..... 

5) Congrats to you....

6)Hell if it weren't for the alpha tribes on my server i wouldn't have been as built up as i am now, Why? cause they sold me some useful dinos (OMG TRADE? BLASPHEMY RIGHT?) Yeah 200 ingots isn't super expensive but considering i don't play on SE a 200+ thorny was a steal let alone being sold 2..... (saddles included.) but yeah all alphas are big bad guys aren't they?

2 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Standalone pillars never stopped spawns.... that was the key of their usage, you could place them next to the resources to make sure no one build around them. 

We never had them near resource spawns, We had them placed above our base, since there were rocky out crops. We never had a problem with dinos spawning in that area of the base until this change in the pillar mechanics destroyed the pillars we had previously put up.

3 hours ago, szabiferi said:

It affects only pillars, does not matter how many on them on each other. SIngle or double or 40 pillars on top of each other. 

Foundations were not ever mentioned and they are not affected. 

Umm as far as I see it doesnt effect double pillars as mine did not go away when the single ones did.

Also lone foundations do disapear too...

57 minutes ago, TheSpirit said:

Umm as far as I see it doesnt effect double pillars as mine did not go away when the single ones did.

Also lone foundations do disapear too...

I had rows of pillars stacked 7 high surrounding my outer fence for kiting security vanish out of existence, while a neighbor had single pillars go untouched because of their proximity to a single random foundations. My fence is dino gates sans fence foundations. So it really has to do with how close they are to foundations, which defeats the purpose of pillars as resource defending totems.

15 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

I had rows of pillars stacked 7 high surrounding my outer fence for kiting security vanish out of existence, while a neighbor had single pillars go untouched because of their proximity to a single random foundations. My fence is dino gates sans fence foundations. So it really has to do with how close they are to foundations, which defeats the purpose of pillars as resource defending totems.

Yes, the problem with the curent solution, it solves a problem (you cannot claim land with pillars) but creates a new one in return (you cannot protect resources with pillars). 

On 18/06/2017 at 6:20 AM, chiefbloodfang said:

I can also say one thing fence foundations at least as far as stone and wood hose dose not stop resource respawnning unsure about dinos atm but definitely dose not block resources

Fence foundations don't block anything. I could place a pillar less than 5 feet from your fence foundations.

6 hours ago, jayden5021 said:

Does it affect double pillars or foundations? For example, 2 foundations snapped, or 2 pillars snapped?

Some say it doesn't but I have had 4 stacked pillars disappear with this changes, and more than once. 

4 hours ago, SuperGenki said:

Weird. My row of stacked pillars (11-15 high) around base is fine, but lone pillars 50m away are gone. But double pillars I have in herb island are still there even though I have no building there.
My lone foundation disapears in base after I'm 15h offline and it's 5cm from other foundations of the base.

5 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Pfff... thats completely made me uncertain... are you on official? 

Yes.

I understand both sides of this change. I understand why WC did this and I also understand everyones frustration. With that being said, my opinion/solution that should (hopefully) stop many players from bickering would be for WC to implement the same function they have with building near supply drops around metal spawns and beaver dams.

When trying to place a structure near a supply drop it shows that the structure is highlighted green, but is unable to place due to the close distance to the beacon drop. It essentially disappears back into your inventory. If they make "safe" zones like this near metal/crystal/obsidian spawns and beaver dams I believe this would solve many issues and both parties (WC and players) can find common ground.

Now for the land claiming issues that people seem to sometimes go overboard on... I have no solution, sorry.

An official response would be greatly appreciated. Whats bothering the most is that we dont know what we can build now. My Base and Water Pen (PS4) are using pillars for walls since it's impossible to build decent walls when its not flat and i like the looks of pillar walls, especially for my water pen. I dont want to suddenly loose my walls once they implement that on the PS4 servers.

13 minutes ago, Exay said:

An official response would be greatly appreciated. Whats bothering the most is that we dont know what we can build now. My Base and Water Pen (PS4) are using pillars for walls since it's impossible to build decent walls when its not flat and i like the looks of pillar walls, especially for my water pen. I dont want to suddenly loose my walls once they implement that on the PS4 servers.

Exay, do your pillar walls have ceiling tiles connecting the pillars?  if you do your good if not add them.  I had pillars for a wall on SE and they are all gone, but i have seen that if you had something connecting the pillars you are ok.  

Archived