Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

@Jat Rag is getting his especially hard by this.... specifically the griffin spawns.  During the last 24 hours, 3 griffin spawns have been blocked off, two by pillars + ceilings.  Currently, Rag server #15 only has 2 known griffin spawns left.  These spawns, along with valuable resource nodes as others have already suggested, need to be protected with no build zones similar to what wyvern chasms have, especially since griffins can't breed.  I can work around all the other problems this pillar change has brought, no matter how inconvenient, but rare/valuable resource and griffin/rare-dino spawns DIRELY NEEDS PROTECTING!

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High Severity:

• Griefing
  • Some examples:
    • PvP – Setting player spawn traps. Due to the nature of PvP servers, there is little we will be able to assist with on these types of servers for griefing.
    • PvE Server: Blocking in other tribes dinos, Blocking access in/out of a tribes base, and Obstructing pathways or waterways for the purpose of denying players access. (must be completely blocked and no other ways around)

WC's official rules state that anyone purposly blocking passage ways is worth reporting. So if you have someone doing so (e.g. gating a spawn point claiming it to be "his yard", report him and watch the Dev's take care of it.

However, the change in pillar-mechanics only led to servers not being able to micromanage the protection of it's own ressource nodes. And not much else.

As for all newcomers: I simply don't get it, really. You cannot join a full server that grew and populated over several years and expect them to be all empty so you can build anywhere you want. You can't possibly demand it. If a server is full, it just is. That being said: due to THIS VERY INSTANCE players started pillaring their nearby vacinity in the first place. To prevent having a server full of bases set up next to each other.

You really think this would be a nice sight? You really think that's how it should be intended?

The thing we're talking about here is not the pillars and how they work. It's the simple fact, that the servers are TOO FULL. It's a easy as that. If there were enough servers, none of this would be an issue. The amount of servers was fine a year ago. WC needs to adress THIS problem. Instead they released 3 PVE-ragnarok servers and are surprised that they are overwhelmed almost instantly.

Make more servers. Problem solved.

When I first played Ark, I only did PVP. PVP can take a toll on you. After doing PVP for over a year, I decided to take a break and do PVE. I couldn't find a server where I could build. Everywhere was pillars and bases. I then decided to wait until a new server came out for PVE. When Ragnarok came out, I used pillars to claim land just like others have for 2 years. I spent a lot time yesterday claiming land with pillars in order to start building and to protect valuable resources. I log on every 10 hours and now my pillars were demolished in the spot I was trying to build in. Now someone is building there blocking resources with foundations. I never complained about pillars and not being about to build when looking for a PVE server. First come, first serve. Now when we do join a new PVE server, we get screwed over. It's tough but it's Ark. I think 12 hours is ridiculous for pillar decay timers, people do have lives. I was aware of the pillar decay timer and have been flying to all of my pillars to reset timers. Clearly, this didn't work. I don't get this so called "solution". After reading other posts, this needs to be addressed...

3 minutes ago, Rotix said:

When I first played Ark, I only did PVP. PVP can take a toll on you. After doing PVP for over a year, I decided to take a break and do PVE. I couldn't find a server where I could build. Everywhere was pillars and bases. I then decided to wait until a new server came out for PVE. When Ragnarok came out, I used pillars to claim land just like others have for 2 years. I spent a lot time yesterday claiming land with pillars in order to start building and to protect valuable resources. I log on every 10 hours and now my pillars were demolished in the spot I was trying to build in. Now someone is building there blocking resources with foundations. I never complained about pillars and not being about to build when looking for a PVE server. First come, first serve. Now when we do join a new PVE server, we get screwed over. It's tough but it's Ark. I think 12 hours is ridiculous for pillar decay timers, people do have lives. I was aware of the pillar decay timer and have been flying to all of my pillars to reset timers. Clearly, this didn't work. I don't get this so called "solution". After reading other posts, this needs to be addressed...

Because it isn't one..... Think of the pillar situation like a severed finger. You wouldnt put a bandaid over it and call it a day would you? (its ark what am i talking about.... they cut the whole damn hand off and tell you to mine with your other hand.)

7 hours ago, Zephyrbell said:

I'm just gonna copy this from my steam post because I'm a lazy piece of poop.
We agree that it needed a fix.. just not this fix. This screwed over a lot of people on my server, including myself. Now there's a ♥♥♥♥bag that's pillaring as close as he can to other people's stuff. Even going as far as putting pillars inside of people's walls. They need a new system, they need to stop trying to take the easy way out. If they would just make it so resource rich areas weren't allowed to be built upon (the same way they did with the drops that way people can keep their bases just not build new things) that would fix a lot of the issue. 

They also need to make it so people can't build so close to the obelisks (in the same manner, so people can keep what's already there and no one loses their stuff until they expire) because it's difficult to get in when you need to do a boss fight when♥♥♥♥♥♥weeds build all the way around the obelisks.

They need a different land claiming system, one where pillars and buildings don't claim the land, but perhaps a 'flag' or 'totem' that can be connected with other tribe members 'flags' or 'totems' so they can have bigger areas to accomodate. Make it so you're able to build anywhere on the map but if you don't have the flag down then the land isn't claimed, and others will still be able to build right next to it. That way it won't ruin what everyone has already built.

Being able to build outside of the of the totem or flag is the best idea, I'm sure others can add upon this idea and hopefully WC will see it.

you know... i just had the idea that only flagged areas with a totem provide spawn blocking and build blocking, but then again... if you build a taming pen, and ppl can (because no build block anymore, because no totem) still troll you by placing a gate in front of its entry, the solution is bullcrap again...

i am thinking about this for 2 years, i have played many many games, but in case of ark and its PVE mode i ALWAYS come down to one single solution with 2 parts that would work very nicely...

More official servers (center and ragnarok, or for the future: for UNLORED maps), and i mean WAY more servers, like 10x more than we have now, plus a active team at wildcards side who moderate those server via PULL principle (this is very important!!!) and a game component where you can file a report ON THE FLY AND INGAME INSTANTLY, where you DONT have to open a VERY inconvinient designed reporting system via a website... the current report form is absolute trash, and almost all data you gotta fill in there can be gathered automatically via a ingame component... this would include a very basic chat-component where the supporter can trigger a chat with this player from outside the game...

Also, to make it better for the gms every report should be votable by ppl who live on the same server PLUS the gm should see the online status of the player who filed the report, so, when a gm starts working on tickets, he will be able to quicksort all the reports by ppl who are online at that moment...

To keep it safe and immune to abuse and to prevent insane costs, those support teams can be based on 2 levels, 1st level supporters can be players from the community who have proven their integrity here or ingame, but those can only go there and instantly call out warnings and, if the ppl who broke the rules are refusing to apply to those rules, they get flagged with a red flag (the identity of those players gets also attached to the ticket) and then they will bena case for the 2nd level support, who are the same guys like at the moment, those are, afaik, wildcard employees with 100% full administration rights who can then ENFORCE the rules via deleting players stuff and/or banning them... or even, if its a lost dino/char, spawn in new ones...

1st level support should have specific game clients with the following features:

can join full servers, can ONLY join in spectator mode, can NOT change, create or delete anything in the game, CAN move stuck dinos

This would ensure that there will be no chance for abuse of this system (maybe give the move dino rights only gms who solved 100 tickets idk.)

So... 

1.) More servers

2.) Ingame report form/mecha

3.) Dual layered GM System to save costs but at the same time provide a MASSIVELY increased quality of support

There cant be any automated solution! Its a core problem based on human behaviours. 

12 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

you know... i just had the idea that only flagged areas with a totem provide spawn blocking and build blocking, but then again... if you build a taming pen, and ppl can (because no build block anymore, because no totem) still troll you by placing a gate in front of its entry, the solution is bullcrap again...

i am thinking about this for 2 years, i have played many many games, but in case of ark and its PVE mode i ALWAYS come down to one single solution with 2 parts that would work very nicely...

More official servers (center and ragnarok, or for the future: for UNLORED maps), and i mean WAY more servers, like 10x more than we have now, plus a active team at wildcards side who moderate those server via PULL principle (this is very important!!!) and a game component where you can file a report ON THE FLY AND INGAME INSTANTLY, where you DONT have to open a VERY inconvinient designed reporting system via a website... the current report form is absolute trash, and almost all data you gotta fill in there can be gathered automatically via a ingame component... this would include a very basic chat-component where the supporter can trigger a chat with this player from outside the game...

Also, to make it better for the gms every report should be votable by ppl who live on the same server PLUS the gm should see the online status of the player who filed the report, so, when a gm starts working on tickets, he will be able to quicksort all the reports by ppl who are online at that moment...

To keep it safe and immune to abuse and to prevent insane costs, those support teams can be based on 2 levels, 1st level supporters can be players from the community who have proven their integrity here or ingame, but those can only go there and instantly call out warnings and, if the ppl who broke the rules are refusing to apply to those rules, they get flagged with a red flag (the identity of those players gets also attached to the ticket) and then they will bena case for the 2nd level support, who are the same guys like at the moment, those are, afaik, wildcard employees with 100% full administration rights who can then ENFORCE the rules via deleting players stuff and/or banning them... or even, if its a lost dino/char, spawn in new ones...

1st level support should have specific game clients with the following features:

can join full servers, can ONLY join in spectator mode, can NOT change, create or delete anything in the game, CAN move stuck dinos

This would ensure that there will be no chance for abuse of this system (maybe give the move dino rights only gms who solved 100 tickets idk.)

So... 

1.) More servers

2.) Ingame report form/mecha

3.) Dual layered GM System to save costs but at the same time provide a MASSIVELY increased quality of support

There cant be any automated solution! Its a core problem based on human behaviours. 

I'm honestly willing to risk a troll building in front of one of my taming pens instead of a troll being able to build around my base because they keep wiping pillars. I wish they could have each server nominate 1 person to handle poop on their server to take care of things like that. But that's not a realistic wish. Instead we could get 1 large flag for a base and multiple small flags for pens. Or just deal with it and build raft taming pens for the most part so you can move it.

1 hour ago, dentrue said:

High Severity:

• Griefing
  • Some examples:
    • PvP – Setting player spawn traps. Due to the nature of PvP servers, there is little we will be able to assist with on these types of servers for griefing.
    • PvE Server: Blocking in other tribes dinos, Blocking access in/out of a tribes base, and Obstructing pathways or waterways for the purpose of denying players access. (must be completely blocked and no other ways around)

WC's official rules state that anyone purposly blocking passage ways is worth reporting. So if you have someone doing so (e.g. gating a spawn point claiming it to be "his yard", report him and watch the Dev's take care of it.

However, the change in pillar-mechanics only led to servers not being able to micromanage the protection of it's own ressource nodes. And not much else.

As for all newcomers: I simply don't get it, really. You cannot join a full server that grew and populated over several years and expect them to be all empty so you can build anywhere you want. You can't possibly demand it. If a server is full, it just is. That being said: due to THIS VERY INSTANCE players started pillaring their nearby vacinity in the first place. To prevent having a server full of bases set up next to each other.

You really think this would be a nice sight? You really think that's how it should be intended?

The thing we're talking about here is not the pillars and how they work. It's the simple fact, that the servers are TOO FULL. It's a easy as that. If there were enough servers, none of this would be an issue. The amount of servers was fine a year ago. WC needs to adress THIS problem. Instead they released 3 PVE-ragnarok servers and are surprised that they are overwhelmed almost instantly.

Make more servers. Problem solved.

I agree with this sentiment but they have 3 ways to solve the problem: easy, hard and spend money. Which do you think they'll choose? Jk they already chose it. I'd be willing to separate with the land I protected with resources if they'd just protect the land. And I'm not very happy about losing the land around my base because now some derp can block my runs to the swamp. But I guess we are the ones that have to make sacrifices so Johnny mcnumbnuts can come in with his foundations and kill all the spawns.

17 hours ago, dentrue said:

High Severity:

• Griefing
  • Some examples:

Sorry man but I have solid proof this doesn't work. I've reported someone who did just that, built a pillar wall infront of my behemot gate and their are still alive and keep doing their facebook selling dinos business, while I had to demolish my base and go build elsewhere. 

13 minutes ago, OnlySumtimez said:

Does this mean if we don't login for twelve hours that all our pillars get destroyed?  It appears that if they're double stacked they're ok or if they're connected to a ceiling then they're ok.  I can't imagine why else pillars would be placed on PvP then that people would be upset? About losing them?

I logged in within 10 hours and I lost my pillars in another area. It seems to be distance related.

So, let's break it down;

Negatives:

Blocked spawns for dinos.

Blocked resource nodes.

Bases partially demo'd.

Bases completely demo'd.

Pillars that were used as gate replacement for areas that were too small for gates destroyed.

Pillars used in large base areas destroyed allowing players to "troll" others by pillaring in their area, even between their base and their gates.

This "Box Troll" tribe.

Positives:

New players were able to build in areas that were mostly pillared for resource preservation purposes? But they were allowed to build, right?

4 minutes ago, Nokosa said:

So, let's break it down;

Negatives:

Blocked resource nodes.

Bases partially demo'd.

Bases completely demo'd.

Pillars that were used as gate replacement for areas that were too small for gates destroyed.

Pillars used in large base areas destroyed allowing players to "troll" others by pillaring in their area, even between their base and their gates.

This "Box Troll" tribe.

Positives:

New players were able to build in areas that were mostly pillared for resource preservation purposes? But they were allowed to build, right?

silver linings ehy? soon they are gonna start posting a sign for the new players that say "No Redfunds"

11 minutes ago, Nokosa said:

So, let's break it down;

Negatives:

Blocked resource nodes.

Bases partially demo'd.

Bases completely demo'd.

This "Box Troll" tribe.

Positives:

Good, now the server where game is full of pillars and foundations, then nothing is born, no trees, stones or metal, in some places or dinos. really beautiful.

1 hour ago, Mykle said:

PvE players once again don´t realizing how this works. We don´t give a poop about PvE. This game was built to be PvP, and that is the mode we are going to support and play. This is one o the better changes to official PvP servers. Cheers developers :)

How does this matter since as PVPers you can destroy the pillars, Making this change IRRELEVANT TO PVP, Even Still put the 12 hour decay timers on PVP servers, Take it off PVE problem solved?

Also if the Game was purely PVP, Explain the bosses, raptor explain the dinos at that point.

Devs fail on so many levels right now.

Here is an example from The-EU-PVE-Ragnarok34 what pillar timer change do to casual players who don't grab land or grief. Because the change affected the innocent.

My neighbour's base. he had pillars inside his base and around his fence... like we all normally did. We use pillars because we don't want to block spawns around us.

Now my neighbours pillars gone because he didn't log in within 12 hours (hard to do when you cannot log in to full servers for an hour or two sometimes).

Now all the pillars + ceilings you see on the photo belong to a different tribe that from the beginning was spamming pillars.. As you can see things changed only for worse.

Tickets sent days ago, no reply so far.

ark_dudu-griefing_zpszdgrwyh7.jpg

Archived