Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

2 hours ago, Malosa said:

The best thing to do is that the devs need to put an anti build zone on the resources spot for  40 blocks, also OBS.

the pilar thing is a bit to stupid... they need to put it back like it was , this forces people to build foundations.. 

@Jat please the anti build zone is the thing that solves the problem..

The no build zone is a good idea.

you are totally wrong about the pillars. If someone wants to be greedy then they can spend a little extra time making foundations instead of pillars. The players never should have gotten so greedy. There are consequences to people's actions and this is one of them

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha, this wasn't thought out at all. [typical]

Hello foundation spam... We've already started! Because you can't stop progress.

If the thought was "hey we'll stop this spamming by killing pillars in a short decay time" obviously we are not going to use pillars anymore, LMAO.

Then what are you going to do, put short timers on foundations?

Its good to see you at least trying to do something so I give you guys kudos for that.

Lot of good comments but the issue I've seen over the 19 months + I've played on PVE is that not only does a tribe pillar off a resource they tend to continue to assert themselves by claiming more land that they have no need for OR build more than one base... 

in the entire time I've played, I've only had one area outside a tree house and have only pillared around the immediate area of my base to keep noobs from building against my doors.

the server I just moved from (been there from my start, has gotten so junky with clutter from noobs leaving crud behind and building way to big and throwing pillars all over the place or where they could find open ground.  Now that we can't use wild Dino's to destroy these leftover messes, it has gotten even worse than before... I can't even run the one Rex I still have ther to feed what few animals still on that server without lagging out.

having a "Dedicated Admin" or someone along that line as suggested, isn't the answer either as WC would would run into issues from the player base on that server..... sooner or later.  Only way something remotely like this that would work is if they had full time GM's that could answer "in game calls" on the spot to resolve issues much like Ever Crack has.  It would be an unbiased person rather than a player from or on that server that someone could tell "he's playing favorites" or "misusing power".  I RELLY doubt WC will do that and I think they would be compleatly stupid if they do!

Rather than complaining about the Noobs building on spawns or on your front door, take them to a buildable space and help them.... that is what we (me and my alliance) does and you might find that they are more than willing to accept your help and advice as being a long time player, especially when they see that lvl 100 attached to your name and the high lvl Dino your on.

1 hour ago, Currahee said:

"WC, please do something about the pillars they are ruining the game!"

"WC, you did something about the pillars and have ruined the game!"

I'm starting to sense a pattern.

Yes, the pattern is that PVE on public official servers, where anyone can join, just isn't going to work well ever without huge changes made to accommodate the PVE mode. Just changing a few existing settings isn't going to cut it. Maybe it just isn't worth it to them (WC).

I've left official servers, tried it for about 6 months. Of course the private servers have their own problems, but griefers is not usually one of them.

• Volunteer Moderator

Been wondering, if, at least on PVE, some changes on what blocks what might help.

For example, maybe simple structures no long block spawns.  That is, only full structures of certain size will begin to block spawns, and maybe, the area of effect starts small, and expands as the structure expands, up to a certain max; also factor in the building material, where thatch has a very limited blocking range, even for big buildings).  So, that means, just laying down a bunch of foundations next to each other does nothing.  And, those foundations should not block harvesting; or might even be destroyed by certain types of spawns(metal, rock, etc.), so that someone just can't place foundation on each spawn.  So, to block a metal spawn, you would probably need a minimum of a stone house of a minimum size; say 3x3x3, as an example.

Likewise, fences(fence foundations with walls) would only have limited blocking range.

So, you could drop down a few foundation near a metal patch, put up a forge or two, and not block those spawns.  And, simple structures would have a faster decay timer; so beach shanties will go away quick; especially if you could base in on usage(having to open and close a door) and not just passing within render range.

Now, I can hear some of you (or maybe that is the over voices), asking, "What about when I to block spawns inside of my, or keeping stuff from growing to close to my walls?"

Well, what about a new type of structure(that is not cheap) that you would need to make and put around your base, and, if you want, along your walls, that is designed to block respawns.  Maybe even have them tunable(or different types) that are designed to only block certain spawns, so, for example,, you could block an animal spawn, but still allow bushes and trees to respawn within your walls.  You might even be able to limit or shape the area of effect, like make it retangular when used along your fence, so that you have a small clearing around the walls, but not too far out.

And, maybe, a player could only have a limitied number of these on a map at one time; attached to the user, not the character, so that someone cannot just keep creating new character to make new spawn blockers; they will have to buy more copies of the game, if they want to be that dedicated.

I think some of this would even be good for PVP, as new players(or players using asymetrical warfare) could build small huts in the forrest and the forrest could grow up right around their 2x2 hut.

And, a possible solution for using pillars to protect against wilds/kiting, maybe there is a Fence Post structure that is added.  You place it like a Pillar, but it is much taller(so you only need one), and does not block spawns.  These are more expensive than pillars, and, to limit PVE griefing, their might be a per player cap, again linked to the account and not the character. 

Not saying any of these are perfect solutions, because they are not, and there is not a perfect solution.  But, maybe food for thought.

58 minutes ago, TheMajorPain said:

Lot of good comments but the issue I've seen over the 19 months + I've played on PVE is that not only does a tribe pillar off a resource they tend to continue to assert themselves by claiming more land that they have no need for OR build more than one base... 

in the entire time I've played, I've only had one area outside a tree house and have only pillared around the immediate area of my base to keep noobs from building against my doors.

the server I just moved from (been there from my start, has gotten so junky with clutter from noobs leaving crud behind and building way to big and throwing pillars all over the place or where they could find open ground.  Now that we can't use wild Dino's to destroy these leftover messes, it has gotten even worse than before... I can't even run the one Rex I still have ther to feed what few animals still on that server without lagging out.

having a "Dedicated Admin" or someone along that line as suggested, isn't the answer either as WC would would run into issues from the player base on that server..... sooner or later.  Only way something remotely like this that would work is if they had full time GM's that could answer "in game calls" on the spot to resolve issues much like Ever Crack has.  It would be an unbiased person rather than a player from or on that server that someone could tell "he's playing favorites" or "misusing power".  I RELLY doubt WC will do that and I think they would be compleatly stupid if they do!

Rather than complaining about the Noobs building on spawns or on your front door, take them to a buildable space and help them.... that is what we (me and my alliance) does and you might find that they are more than willing to accept your help and advice as being a long time player, especially when they see that lvl 100 attached to your name and the high lvl Dino your on.

The only way to help newbies to a server out is them asking for help (and i will continue to help people if they need it when they do.) but it really requires the newbie to voice their need for assistance

17 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Been wondering, if, at least on PVE, some changes on what blocks what might help.

For example, maybe simple structures no long block spawns.  That is, only full structures of certain size will begin to block spawns, and maybe, the area of effect starts small, and expands as the structure expands, up to a certain max; also factor in the building material, where thatch has a very limited blocking range, even for big buildings).  So, that means, just laying down a bunch of foundations next to each other does nothing.  And, those foundations should not block harvesting; or might even be destroyed by certain types of spawns(metal, rock, etc.), so that someone just can't place foundation on each spawn.  So, to block a metal spawn, you would probably need a minimum of a stone house of a minimum size; say 3x3x3, as an example.

Likewise, fences(fence foundations with walls) would only have limited blocking range.

So, you could drop down a few foundation near a metal patch, put up a forge or two, and not block those spawns.  And, simple structures would have a faster decay timer; so beach shanties will go away quick; especially if you could base in on usage(having to open and close a door) and not just passing within render range.

Now, I can hear some of you (or maybe that is the over voices), asking, "What about when I to block spawns inside of my, or keeping stuff from growing to close to my walls?"

Well, what about a new type of structure(that is not cheap) that you would need to make and put around your base, and, if you want, along your walls, that is designed to block respawns.  Maybe even have them tunable(or different types) that are designed to only block certain spawns, so, for example,, you could block an animal spawn, but still allow bushes and trees to respawn within your walls.  You might even be able to limit or shape the area of effect, like make it retangular when used along your fence, so that you have a small clearing around the walls, but not too far out.

And, maybe, a player could only have a limitied number of these on a map at one time; attached to the user, not the character, so that someone cannot just keep creating new character to make new spawn blockers; they will have to buy more copies of the game, if they want to be that dedicated.

I think some of this would even be good for PVP, as new players(or players using asymetrical warfare) could build small huts in the forrest and the forrest could grow up right around their 2x2 hut.

And, a possible solution for using pillars to protect against wilds/kiting, maybe there is a Fence Post structure that is added.  You place it like a Pillar, but it is much taller(so you only need one), and does not block spawns.  These are more expensive than pillars, and, to limit PVE griefing, their might be a per player cap, again linked to the account and not the character. 

Not saying any of these are perfect solutions, because they are not, and there is not a perfect solution.  But, maybe food for thought.

Personally these ideas do sound good, each having their own draw back, but most are if a lot of this stuff would be character based larger alpha tribes, as they should, would be able to hold more land. the only issue with this is. i know of a Few alpha tribes (and by this i mean 3 at least on my server who have tek stuff put down.) are only 2 or 3 man tribes.... who work hard for what they did. (which again this pillar change screwed them over.)

everything made in excess is bad. but some amount of it is necesary. what they need to limit is the high end of construction and or land claiming. the only way to do this is making it exponetially more expensive to maintain the bigger the land you want to claim. i would sugest a new item called "claim seal" you can place this seal on any building piece. without this the building will disapear after one or 2 hours ( this allows for taming pens)  and by doing so it will allow you to build in a certain radius to expand beyond this area would need another seal... point is every single seal will be more expesive depending how many seals are active from your tribe. 

this would mean begginers wont have any conflicts since first couple of seal are chap enough.. but if your tribe already has a huge base and water pen the next seal may take thousands of ingots to build and therefor you may have to consider twice if you really want to claim more land.

8 minutes ago, LadyofHats said:

everything made in excess is bad. but some amount of it is necesary. what they need to limit is the high end of construction and or land claiming. the only way to do this is making it exponetially more expensive to maintain the bigger the land you want to claim. i would sugest a new item called "claim seal" you can place this seal on any building piece. without this the building will disapear after one or 2 hours ( this allows for taming pens)  and by doing so it will allow you to build in a certain radius to expand beyond this area would need another seal... point is every single seal will be more expesive depending how many seals are active from your tribe. 

this would mean begginers wont have any conflicts since first couple of seal are chap enough.. but if your tribe already has a huge base and water pen the next seal may take thousands of ingots to build and therefor you may have to consider twice if you really want to claim more land.

Again good idea but it basically is just that with the pillars and foundations now.... the cost is just already inherently in the item.... the problem thats going on just like any other MMO has.... players who started earlier have a bigger advantage.

Regarding the propositions Jerryn made, I find the first one -blocking distance depending on structure size and structure value- to be the most valid for me. People can't occupy land and spawnpoints by merely placing down single foundations (as they can now) but rather have to start building actual houses. This has two upsites for me:

1. The fact that it requires more efford to block spawns than placing down single structures renders it more unlikely for trolls and angry people to take out their funny stuff on the community of a server.

2. If in fact you DO bother building a decent base, the aspect of blocking spawns out of mere despite becomes redundant.

As for me, I don't see any relevant downside to this concept. People playing more frequently, expanding their base, will slowly drive back anything that could bother. It is also those people who most probably know where to build and what to obstruct and what not to.

Then there is the thing that LadyofHats called "Claimseal" that Jerryn reffered to.

I think it, although being a nice idea, to be less handy than the first mechanic. Crafting something just to prevent bushes and dimorphodons from spawning inside your base seems pretty strange to me. First of all: what does it look like? Or can you maybe shape it in any form like a wall torch for example? xD

The major thing about this idea is the costs for me. What does it require? How much ressources will it cost?

Then there is the micromanagement. You have to actually draw BORDERS around your camp? It sounds overly complicated to me.

The costs ought to be linked to the players Seals he already crafted. Meaning: First seal: 100 wood, 35 Thatch (e. g.) Second Seal: (400 Wood, 120 stone, 80 thatch). You get the idea. A CAP, what so ever, must be prevented under any circumstances. Making a cap on this only leads to a dead end. No matter how long it will take, no matter how many you are in your tribe, eventually you won't be able to progress. Hwo decides when it is the end of the road for you?

3 hours ago, Jerryn said:

Hmm, some mods have a gardener or sheep herder that does special tasks. How about adding something like that you can make and place in a location. In its menu, would be the option to tell it what specific task it is to perform. It could be set to block a spawn, block building in a radius around it, or other tasks to solve various problems. It would need to be fed occasionally, or it dies. Also it would allow another player to place one next to it, since it isn't a building. All by itself it wouldn't do anything unless set for a task which would be shown when you look at it. It can not be killed by creatures or able to be picked up except by its owner. Don't allow setting it near another player's base.

Limit the number a tribe can have to prevent abuse. The number allowed is linked to size of base and tribe members.

Now that I read this back, sounds like the old flag idea, which I still don't see why something like that hasn't been added to the game.

IIRC "7 days to die" spawns you in with a single block that when placed, stops players from building within so many feet of you. 

Combining this with a building buffer zone around resources could be a fix. It would stop land hogging, make the map look better because there wouldn't be 14,000 pillars, make the map load faster, and protect resources.  Just my two cents.

You know what? These are all great suggestions, but the game is supposed to get released in less than two months...these would be all completely new game design features that needs to get designed, coded, implemented, tested, released. I see no chance that they could  push them out in a polished state within the time up to release. The last phase before game release is mostly polishing and bug fixing, fune tuning etc.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Jat said:

Hey guys,

Lone Pillars that are connected to non-spawn blocking structures will be destroyed on Official Servers after 12 hours.Decay time is otherwise unaffected for all other types of structures. Our intent is for players who claim land to make use of the land, and not just hold it. We'll be monitoring this change to see whether it has an effect on pillar claiming and make changes as necessary. This change is only on our Official Servers, but Unofficial Servers will soon gain the functionality to make this change.

Thanks,

Jat

And what about the floating buildings

1st things first, If new players cannot find places to build, they will not play. Then they will review the game negatively so that other new people will not buy the game.

New game purchases is where wild card is getting their income. We already bought the game, they stand to gain no new revenue from us. so, With that being said, their standpoint is attracting new players to buy the game first and foremost.

That being said, as a new player, a few months ago, it was impossible to find a good place to build.  Pillars everywhere on good locations, tribes that did not want other tribes nearby.  Tribes that simply wanted a lower number of players on their server and just made it difficult for new players.  

We found a place in the swamp but still restricted by someone that pillared up to a tree stand for some reason so Expanding is not possible.  Even at a level 90 with 5 months on the server I am still considered a noob and senior players will not even acknowledge me.  No big deal, it is PVE but I cannot expand where I need because of that one tree stand with the tower of pillars up to it.  So I am very disgruntled about that more than anything.  I don't want to have to rebuild if I do happen to find a better spot, it takes a lot of hours to build a base.  

I understand protecting metal spawns and Dino spawns but the pillars are out of hand and it is horrible to get started because of it.

I still don't understand why the Obs are able to be built on and blocked off, that irritates me more than the pillars cause if I wanted to move my animals I would have to wait for a drop and hope they were not killed while uploading them to the ark if I wanted to transfer to another server.  

All in all, from a newer player stand point,  I feel if any structure is placed, not part of their main base, and a tribe member does not pass within close proximity of it on a very regular basis then it should auto destruct.  This is meant to be a challenging game and a rewarding game, not a primary place for mutually social derelicts with low tolerance levels for other/new people.  Not really sure why they just don't play their own dedicated server.

Take away the pillars ability to block structures all together.  Open the gates for people not content with living on the beach.   Set the pillar destruct timer for 3 hours.

11 hours ago, Tiatake said:

I wish spawn sites would act like pillars so we didn't need them in the first place :( Also maybe make a larger area around obelisks 'no build' zones? Or let us use the transmitters to do bosses. We have mazes of gates around our closest obi and it really sucks leading an army of rexes around it.

At least you can get to it, Ours are completely blocked off and without the tribe opening the gate we can't even get to it.

Archived