Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

1 hour ago, vowels said:

If more players were considerate and made sure not to block critical resources, made sure to provide exits in case someone spawns within your walls, and made sure there is easy pathway around the base ... things would not be so bad. It also does not help that trolls and griefers are abundant. 

There should be an alert that says foundations prevent spawns, at least for a newbie standpoint

1 hour ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Waiting for your mod, if its easy should be done tomorrow morning...

Mod wouldn't really help official servers would it? and most unofficial could just modify decay timers anyway?

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scrymgarr said:

Mod wouldn't really help official servers would it? and most unofficial could just modify decay timers anyway?

Wasnt my point, my point was someone telling everyone here that there is an "easy" solution for a problem where he doesnt even know a single thing about the underlying problems/technology. Thats just pathetic.

7 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Wasnt my point, my point was someone telling everyone here that there is an "easy" solution for a problem where he doesnt even know a single thing about the underlying problems/technology. Thats just pathetic.

First off you are sitting here playing semantics with easy. The suggestion despite them having no knowledge of how truly difficult it is would be to implement would be valid, no?  Are you a saying that possibly copying code from other objects in game and attaching it to resource nodes to prevent people from building is not a possibility? secondly, one of the underlying problems with this whole issue is the trolling community, which this issue has given more power to rather than taking away. Calling people pathetic for even having vague ideas without having knowledge of how to implement them is pathetic. Some one has to lay the first block. 

24 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

So tell me with your "gigantosaurus" programming skills how much technical debt exists in this code base that would make such an implementation "complicated" and "difficult"?  

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Wodlez said:

Just to confirm double pillars remove the 12hour demolish timer right? (Can't see my own timers)

No. Any pillars that doesn't have a ceilings or a fence foundations snapped to it is automatically deleted when rendered if its timer is 12 hours or more expired and that no matters how many dozens of pillars are snapped on top of each others.

6 minutes ago, StrangerDanger42 said:

So tell me with your "gigantosaurus" programming skills how much technical debt exists in this code base that would make such an implementation "complicated" and "difficult"?  

Did i EVER tell ppl here its difficult or easy either?

No, i didnt.

Wanna know why? Because i cant (like you and all the other "easy solution" guys too)

nuff said.

7 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

No. Any pillars that doesn't have a ceilings or a fence foundations snapped to it is automatically deleted when rendered if its timer is 12 hours or more expired and that no matters how many dozens of pillars are snapped on top of each others.

6 minutes ago, Scrymgarr said:

Double pillars decay in 12 hours, im still unsure if if the pillar and fence foundation work

Ahh thanks guys!!

I'll start by saying i am probably part of the problem here.  We have a large number of pillars blocking off large portions of the map around our base, and continue to protect land in this fashion.

Initially i balked at large scale pillaring...i was probably the biggest advocate of open land on our server...but even i was basically forced to join in, or be washed under by the the territory war that inevitably comes to nearly every sever. If i hadnt pillared land around our base and hunting grounds, we would have been gate walled into a pen long ago... its not a pretty picture to say the least.. and something needs to be done. 

Of all the suggestions i have read here, only a couple seem viable. If wildcard makes more "no build zones" around resources deemed "rare" many people will loose bases they probably worked long and hard to build, and thats just not ok, imho... thats hours and hours of someones blood sweat and tears washed away. we lost our scorched base when they introduced the last update limiting build radius around drops, so i can attest to the unsavory nature of this "solution" We were effectively pinned between two drops , and were forced to move.  I would not want this fatebto befall any other ark citizen tbh..

My solution would not really charge much... simply base the no build radius off of the number of attached pre approved structures, like pillars walls ceilings and foundations. 

Ex.  Single piece =0 buffer zone

5 conjoined pieces= 1 foundation wide buffer zone

10 conjoined pieces= 2 foundation buffer zone

500 conjoined pieces = 50 foundation buffer zone.  

These are just quickly compiled numbers and could be fine tuned. Coupled with either: a) reasonable per zone structure limit, or b)a per tribe structure limit, i believe this could be a viable solution to the pillar- centic land grabbing mess ark has become. This way, to protect large swaths of land, players would have to invest a prohibitive amount of resources. Any and all input is welcome, and thanks to wildcard for a great game...good day all.

1 hour ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Did i EVER tell ppl here its difficult or easy either?

No, i didnt.

Wanna know why? Because i cant (like you and all the other "easy solution" guys too)

nuff said.

My troll senses are tingling....

But ill bite anyway

You shouldn't take things so literal. At least they are giving some ideas as to what could be done, regardless of the difficulties of programming. 

22 hours ago, Dracul said:

Thats pretty much the crossroads I am at right now, I either become the very devil iv kept at bay for two years protecting herby island or I let the local troll have his way and hes gonna do the exact same thing (pillar+ceiling) everything so its integrity vs pride.

i am also on this cituation, have kept herbi iland open and protected for all new people to be able to tame in peace. but if this goes on i may need to build a wall all arround it

Hey, uh. This is utilized to block people off of major metal spawns to keep them from preventing metal spawns. You shouldn't be able to claim the volcano as your base. It's a massive tool with loads of metal and obsidian. This change is just punishing players for keeping resources available to the whole server. raptor this change honestly lol

@TheRightHand @Jat

Where is the communication? this change has wrecked the functionality of a lot of your pve servers, 15 pages of complaints on your forum and nothing has been said? 

We dont have time to refresh pillars every 12 hours, but the alternative is no resources for anyone. Change it back before every server is a wasteland.

On 6/14/2017 at 3:40 AM, TheLordTailfin said:

@Jat your knee jerk reactions have caused more harm than good the past. If anything you should sit back, think long and hard, maybe ask around and then do something. If you change the decay timer on pillars with the intent to wipe them out soon you will be seeing posts about people's bases being hemmed in and new players/trolls blocking spawns of dinos or resources. Do you remember when everyone couldn't find enough food to feed their pets and servers were dying? Ark needs wide empty spaces. Your game is designed that way. YOU of all people should know that. So please control yourself, think for a minute and think of a better solution. =.=

You have room to talk about 'controlling yourself'. 

1 minute ago, clumsynynja said:

I love how you screaming alarmists act like foundations don't have a decay timer. /Eyeroll. 

Screaming alarmists? The reasons we are yelling about this is Foundation Spamming PREVENTS Resource nodes from Respawning PREVENTS Dinos from respawning basically what this is forcing alpha tribes to do is have people on 24/7 and foundation spam routes that need to stay open for people to pass on a server..... or to keep people from building to close to them (that last point goes for everyone.) either that or let it fall to people who either don't know what they are blocking, or Don't care they are blocking it with intent to destroy the server, Pillars kept these ways open kept dinos spawning and kept servers going.

1 minute ago, Scrymgarr said:

Screaming alarmists? The reasons we are yelling about this is Foundation Spamming PREVENTS Resource nodes from Respawning PREVENTS Dinos from respawning basically what this is forcing alpha tribes to do is have people on 24/7 and foundation spam routes that need to stay open for people to pass on a server..... or to keep people from building to close to them (that last point goes for everyone.) either that or let it fall to people who either don't know what they are blocking, or Don't care they are blocking it with intent to destroy the server, Pillars kept these ways open kept dinos spawning and kept servers going.

Decay timer. 

Archived