Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

7 hours ago, Jat said:

Hey guys,

Lone Pillars that are connected to non-spawn blocking structures will be destroyed on Official Servers after 12 hours.Decay time is otherwise unaffected for all other types of structures. Our intent is for players who claim land to make use of the land, and not just hold it. We'll be monitoring this change to see whether it has an effect on pillar claiming and make changes as necessary. This change is only on our Official Servers, but Unofficial Servers will soon gain the functionality to make this change.

Thanks,

Jat

So with the 739.3 update which was almost a year ago, the decay dynamic was added which removed the old process of demolishing allow when the tribe had been off the server for so long.   We had tribes that left before this update and they still have structures randomly over the server.  I know the members have not been on since I had left the left and was the last member.  I figured I could go back through later and do the demolish allow since it was stone but fast forward to 2 weeks ago I had to go back to that base with a giga and chew up the structures.  I was just wondering if the decay timer would be corrected for these tribes that abandon servers and for spike walls the base will decay but the spike walls will stay around.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now lets say I have a fence made of metal with metal behemoth gates. Pillars around my base decayed because there is no way I can log in every 12 hours. Someone build right next to me. I demolish metal behemoth gate to place Tek one... computer says so... can't place structure nearby enemy foundations.

That's just an example what's gonna happen lol

There gonna be more issues with that. Someone will see you building some nice project they will be nasty and build a shack or whatever structures to p you off. So long term (week or so) building projects.. forget about those too. And people are just like that.

I experienced that in the past, i was building a fence.. (too much work to finish in one day, no good dinos, early days etc)... I wake up next morning I can't place walls on placed day earlier fence foundations because my neighbour decided to pillar around me as close as he could to prevent me from building.

I have to agree with all the intelligent posters that recommended no build zones around the rare/important resource locations. To JAT I like the pillars disappearing I am already set but constantly am seeing a newbie login and spend an hour plus running around trying to find somewhere on A BEACH to start their experience they eventually leave and never return which is a lost player for our playerbase.

47 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Yeah indeed, but I built it when I didn't know you could put pillars on fence foundations.. didn't really feel like breaking it all.

i know I was going to do that but then the pillar land claiming became an issue. So I started looking into was to secure ? my base where no mater what I will always be standing tall.

13 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

I have to agree with all the intelligent posters that recommended no build zones around the rare/important resource locations. To JAT I like the pillars disappearing I am already set but constantly am seeing a newbie login and spend an hour plus running around trying to find somewhere on A BEACH to start their experience they eventually leave and never return which is a lost player for our playerbase.

yes but think of it this way. If they do not return their base will decay after a weeks time and allow players to continue to join. The base not decaying was one of the first issues on pve since people would sign on build a box and never coming back. Or people would have two accounts and alliance each account. Then use the offline protection so no one could attack on pvp servers. It was a complete mess. But they are working on ironing out those wrinkles. It is going to take time. If their is a will there is a way for trolls and they always find them.

I don't see the fuss about it.

This change is just lowering the lone pillar timer from 1.5 days to 0.5 days. Yes, people will either make double or triple stacked pillars or build the small 1x1 huts like it's already the case. 

I think better changes would be to : 

- Implement no build zones (like there currently is for beacons) for high valuable ressources.

- Increase the pillar/foundation blocking range

- Implement a system that would allow players to put something like a box or a torch, which would be an UNIQUE item, and the placement of that item would define the location of their main base, that item would also prevent building in a given area around that item. I personally had issues with bad neighbors and woke up one morning to this (my base in the background, trolls pillars in front) : 

20170504174948_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, fewcm said:

it's multiple pillars too, unless attached to a spawn restricting structure like a foundation or ceiling. So no more protecting resources or dino spawn points with double pillars.

I agree with the no build zone for precious resources. Not a lone node but at least 2 in close proximity.

I just checked, double pillars all poofed. Fence foundation with pillar on it is immune, they all remain. So nothing was changed with the intent. This is why I brought up my idea on page 2 and why it's vital to properly fix this issue.

15 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

Agree with you on this but thats down to lack of Official Servers that are full and Dino capped too. It took me 20 try's to find a good server and not full or capped when i started. Yes some parts of the server had pillars down only to protect the metal nodes and areas for taming high level Dino's  on the Center map but if you wand to build where is was pillared you only had to ask for them to remove them if the reply was no and the reason they gave is a good one like protecting Dino spawns/metal/beavers  then that understandable. 

My whole tribe has lost over 400 metal pillars on SE PVE 801 thats was just to protect our bases from players kiting (or as Dev's say woundering ) in our base we lost 3 months worth of taming raising Dino's for the SE server only to find out now the pillars we have place to protect our selfs from this happening again are gone because of this change with out no notification what so sever. So now again more lost time and resources once again.

But to not post a popup up or in the main login screen to let players know they are changing the pillars is wrong i only found out by another player replying to my post in the bugs report section of the forums.

I feel the communication break down here as not all players read forums  

8 minutes ago, FireusI said:

Agree with you on this but thats down to lack of Official Servers that are full and Dino capped too. It took me 20 try's to find a good server and not full or capped when i started. Yes some parts of the server had pillars down only to protect the metal nodes and areas for taming high level Dino's  on the Center map but if you wand to build where is was pillared you only had to ask for them to remove them if the reply was no and the reason they gave is a good one like protecting Dino spawns/metal/beavers  then that understandable. 

My whole tribe has lost over 400 metal pillars on SE PVE 801 thats was just to protect our bases from players kiting (or as Dev's say woundering ) in our base we lost 3 months worth of taming raising Dino's for the SE server only to find out now the pillars we have place to protect our selfs from this happening again are gone because of this change with out no notification what so sever. So now again more lost time and resources once again.

But to not post a popup up or in the main login screen to let players know they are changing the pillars is wrong i only found out by another player replying to my post in the bugs report section of the forums.

I feel the communication break down here as not all players read forums  

Their communication does leave a lot to be desired I'll agree with that for sure. I'm no coding expert but there has to be a way to protect the resources without relying on someone in game doing it. Losing the volcano and its supply of metal really sucked but it's done. Just checked my base and now the map is full of  fence foundations with pillars LoL practically back where we started I'm sure we will be before the end of the day...

Just now, BeardO said:

This would all be a non-issue if the server just had active admins.  Some one is blocking spawns?  Destroytribestructures...done. 

I said on page 2 and 3, capital is fleeting when the game is bringing in fewer and fewer people. They don't have enough people to patrol the 100s of PVE officials dealing with each and every player with a problem which then has to be arbitrated which takes time and effort.

More servers and more CSR staff both mean the need of more capital. Neither are likely and less so as the game continues to age.

This has to be looked at from a logical standpoint but also a fiscally responsible one.

@Jat

People placed pillars in strategic spots around the map to protect valuable resources. You've now enabled a free for all to anyone who happened to log on first to block all resource spawns with foundations.

Not to mention, most servers had a group of pillars around caves so that nobody could gate off/block the cave entrance. I've spoken to a few people already who have had the high level caves blocked off with a locked gate by griefers.

Make resource/cave radials like beacon drops. Just make a certain radius unable to be built in for metal/crystal/obsidian spawns as you did with beacons, and punish the ones who dome them in to circumvent this mechanic via the ticket/report system.

2 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

I said on page 2 and 3, capital is fleeting when the game is bringing in fewer and fewer people. They don't have enough people to patrol the 100s of PVE officials dealing with each and every player with a problem which then has to be arbitrated which takes time and effort.

More servers and more CSR staff both mean the need of more capital. Neither are likely and less so as the game continues to age.

This has to be looked at from a logical standpoint but also a fiscally responsible one.

Cut the number of servers in half and use that capital to hire people to run the servers. 

You could even implement a system like CS:GO overwatch.  Player A reports player B for griefing, players C,D and E review report and send findings to admin that then takes action if true.

2 minutes ago, BeardO said:

Cut the number of servers in half and use that capital to hire people to run the servers. 

I'm sure you know why that's not realistic and you think the uproar is bad now, imagine telling half the population they have to move servers and will lose everything. Also, it's not a 1:1 shift in terms of spending.

easy fix to this, give everyone a nuclear warhead and a one time shield generator to withstand it.

everyone active on the server agrees when to set off the explosions and whoevers not on looses everything.

everything gets wiped, fresh new server, players still keep their tames and main buildings and no issues with having to have a wipe which BTW has not been confirmed nor denied by admin is going to take place so they are assessing this as we speak. no point in getting those extremely good tames by the looks of it until WC decide what they're going to do

1 minute ago, Darkintellect said:

I'm sure you know why that's not realistic and you think the uproar is bad now, imagine telling half the population they have to move servers and will lose everything. Also, it's not a 1:1 shift in terms of spending.

The uproar is bad now because it's been a constant since day 1.  That's 2 years of the same thing over and over.  The alternative is a one time bitch and whine about having to move to another server verse a life time of bitching and whining about a mechanic that no matter how you try to automate isn't going to be fixed.

7 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

It wouldn't seem difficult, they just log into a server, spawn a ptera in and fly to the reported blocked area, oh someone has built there, bye structures. If they do it again, bye player! It's not really difficult, if you break the games rules then you can't really complain. If you want to build on that stuff go to PvP!

1 minute ago, BeardO said:

The uproar is bad now because it's been a constant since day 1.  That's 2 years of the same thing over and over.  The alternative is a one time bitch and whine about having to move to another server verse a life time of bitching and whining about a mechanic that no matter how you try to automate isn't going to be fixed.

I'm not sure you know the disparity between the levels of rage. You'll see a massive player base leave the game and slam the review on steam far worse than the great Melee nerf and again with the flyer nerf a year later.

For the purpose of the game, that's just not an option. Now, they are preparing for a huge outcry when they end up shutting down low population servers with 1-5 people during peak hours. If they are struggling to rationalize that and preparing for the uproar, I'm sure doing it to healthy servers and half the population is a suicide event.

3 minutes ago, Wodlez said:

It wouldn't seem difficult, they just log into a server, spawn a ptera in and fly to the reported blocked area, oh someone has built there, bye structures. If they do it again, bye player! It's not really difficult, if you break the games rules then you can't really complain. If you want to build on that stuff go to PvP!

Again you're not getting it. They don't have enough manpower nor can they operate with a staff that large that can handle the issues on hundreds of PVE servers. I'm trying to be polite here but it's not realistic when you understand the dynamics of it and the capital required.

Then you run into arbitration, backlash etc. There is a FAR easier fix for this, again, page 2 as I detailed.

9 minutes ago, X111 said:

easy fix to this, give everyone a nuclear warhead and a one time shield generator to withstand it.

everyone active on the server agrees when to set off the explosions and whoevers not on looses everything.

everything gets wiped, fresh new server, players still keep their tames and main buildings and no issues with having to have a wipe which BTW has not been confirmed nor denied by admin is going to take place so they are assessing this as we speak. no point in getting those extremely good tames by the looks of it until WC decide what they're going to do

Actually the wipe has been addressed by JAT and he said there would be no server wipe only reallocation of the low use servers when the game was released. If they wipe after saying they wouldn't I expect they will lose a chunk of their player base and that'll seal the deal for the whole project.

Archived