Let's talk about the Griffin

Ulta

So the griffin. Exciting and cool new dino! Let's talk about how we think it'll impact the game and discoveries we've made.

So first off, in Singleplayer with cheats on. I spawned one in and did Dotame, thinking it wouldn't need a saddle to ride. Nope...apparently a saddle exists but there's no engram for one. Or this is a bug. Had to do Forcetame to be able to ride it.

Once I was able to ride it, time to test it out. It has a ground clawing attack and an aerial clawing attack. It can also pick up things (what it can carry we'll have to figure out).

You can also wield firearms on it's back. This makes it the first flyer that you can shoot from it's back AND fly at the same time. EPIC! (new way to down Quetzal's easily yessss)

I don't see any gender...which sadly means these guys cannot mate. How sad...

It's stats are pretty average, if not on the low side. I forcetamed an Argie and a Griffin at lvl 1 and the Argie had better numbers in EVERYTHING. In some spots like Weight and Stamina, the Griffin had only a little more than HALF of what the Argie had. The health is only a tiny bit lower than the Argie. Seems like it sucks doesn't it. But...where the Griffin felt awesome was it's flying.

So how fast is it? Pretty dang fast. Like it's probably as fast as a Ptera, if not more. But what makes it way speedier than a Ptera is it's divebombing maneuver. If you fly straight down, you pick up an INSANE amount of speed. If you hit the ground doing this, you damage things that are nearby. Landing RIGHT on a creatures didn't seem to work, it just kinda halted the griffin in it's tracks. If you divebomb and then swoop up to fly horizontally though, you keep the momentum. And dang can you go FAST when you do this. It's awesome.

I did notice that I took damage (the player) whenever I was divebombing (your screen turns all blurry and you hear a loud wooshing sound when divebombing). I don't know if this is intended for possible balancing it for PVP use, or if it's a bug. If it is balancing, I can see how that would keep players from spamming divebombs. But if it isn't a bug...well...

With this new flyer, I feel like the 'picking wars' in PVP might return though. I have yet to see if it can even grab enemy players, but if it can, and with it's swift default speed if flown correctly with the divebombs, this thing is going to dominate PVP engagements...something that I thought WC was trying to avoid with the flyer nerf being implemented. Personally, I love the beast as is, but I play PVE and love how it functions at present (minus getting hurt when divebombing). Thoughts?

EDIT: Allo Kibble is its' preferred food. Typical tranq and feed method to down.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Majix said:

I'd imagine you would need a specific set of armor to prevent that wind damage.

No new armor was released with this, so that tells me it wouldn't, unless some existing armor can help. Would need more testing. Still ened ot figure out if this is a bug or not anyway. Regardless, if it isn't a bug, players may need ot think about leveling health a lot then if they plan on being riders of these things.

Currently seeing what is needed to knock one out and tame legit.

14 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Any clue what it takes to tame one? I killed a level 55 one on an official server a bit ago. Didnt do much damage to my rex which had a prim saddle.

So far it looks liek a typical tranq and feed kind of tame. It eats meat. But this one I'm taming only got 69%. It could have gotten bit though, some dilo's attacked while trying to tame it. It took like...10 darts to knock out a lvl 4. A high level one would probably need a LOT more. 4 Raw prime tamed it in about 10-15 minutes, maybe less.

I also discovered a new meta...you can WIELD guns on it's back...the first flyer to allow you to fire AND drive it. Gasp. This is how you down Quetzal now xD

33 minutes ago, spacejam said:

so keen for its dive bomb mechanic, I had been suggesting for a while now that maybe the argy should have it. but seeing as this guy got it im pretty happy.

I've been thinking that a Dive bomb mechanic would be an awesome ability for a Tek Argentavis Saddle. Like the Argentavis spreads his wings wide, rockets on his back and wings blast off, claws splayed out in front of him and he slams into something dealing a large amount of damage, especially to other flyers. Have the rocket on his back look like the one on the back of the Tek Chest, while have the rocket effect on his wingtips look almost ephemeral, something like this.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/c4ae/f/2009/254/0/f/xenogears__weltall_id_by_clarityblue.jpg

After playing with Gryphon I can tell it is a shame that pterodon, argentavis, quetzal and tapejara do not have even half of such top animations and movement as Gryphon. When you compare them to Gryphon, you cen tell they are badly animated and they need major improvements. Argentavis and Ptera don't even have hovering animations :/

Gryphon animations and movement are so beautiful that for the first time I felt I'm really flying in this game.

2 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

After playing with Gryphon I can tell it is a shame that pterodon, argentavis, quetzal and tapejara do not haven half of such top animations and movement as Gryphon. When you compare them to Gryphon, you cen tell they are badly animated and they need major improvements. Argentavis and Ptera don't eben have hovering animations :/

Argie has hovering animation (albeit not a very good one compared to the GRiffin as you said), but the Ptera doesn't. Neither does the Dimorph.

This is why I'm very sacred that with the reveal of the dossier book, that maybe we will be stuck with these suckier animations...the new ones are sooo lovely and fluid and agh, the Griffin is just gorgoues with how it moves when gliding and divebombing and everything. It's a little choppy in some spots of animating (landing on it's own for example), but I will agree...the newer animations are so awesome compared to older models. I've tried asking the devs and have not gotten a reply yet on it...

3 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Argie has hovering animation (albeit not a very good one compared to the GRiffin as you said), but the Ptera doesn't. Neither does the Dimorph.

This is why I'm very sacred that with the reveal of the dossier book, that maybe we will be stuck with these suckier animations...the new ones are sooo lovely and fluid and agh, the Griffin is just gorgoues with how it moves when gliding and divebombing and everything. It's a little choppy in some spots of animating (landing on it's own for example), but I will agree...the newer animations are so awesome compared to older models. I've tried asking the devs and have not gotten a reply yet on it...

Don't think it will happen. To be fair animation is an art and science. I tried to make a ball bounce up and down with animation, and it was tedious af 

21 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Don't think it will happen. To be fair animation is an art and science. I tried to make a ball bounce up and down with animation, and it was tedious af 

That isn't an excuse. If they can do great animation with newer dino's, I see no reason why they wouldn't give another pass to the older dino animations. It might not be a high priority, but it would be super lovley if they did. We KNOW they can do it...whether they will or not is left to be seen.

I've tested the unused kibbles so far (Moth and Kapro Egg kibble). Neither worked, only gave 3% taming and dropped effectiveness to 96%. It's kibble is either a reused one in the large list of kibbles, or something else entirely.

2 minutes ago, Ulta said:

That isn't an excuse. If they can do great animation with newer dino's, I see no reason why they wouldn't give another pass to the older dino animations. It might not be a high priority, but it would be super lovley if they did. We KNOW they can do it...whether they will or not is left to be seen.

I've tested the unused kibbles so far (Moth and Kapro Egg kibble). Neither worked, only gave 3% taming and dropped effectiveness to 96%. It's kibble is either a reused one in the large list of kibbles, or something else entirely.

Golden egg? Hesper kibble? Yutyrant kibble?

Just now, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Golden egg? Hesper kibble? Yutyrant kibble?

There isn't a spawn code for Yuty or Hesper kibble yet (or I couldn't find one). Sadly couldn't get it to test. I gotta go do something else now anyway sadly. Maybe someone else can do some tests to find what 'kibble' this things likes?

I haven't flew one yet but from what I can see, they do look powerful and I'm liking what I'm reading here. Glad their turn radius isn't too good so that 'Picking Wars' doesn't fully return. I'm enjoying PvP at the moment. I guess the Griffin lands similar to a Wyvern? where it chooses a place to land as soon as you hit land?

2 hours ago, Ulta said:

So the griffin. Exciting and cool new dino! Let's talk about how we think it'll impact the game and discoveries we've made.

So first off, in Singleplayer with cheats on. I spawned one in and did Dotame, thinking it wouldn't need a saddle to ride. Nope...apparently a saddle exists but there's no engram for one. Or this is a bug. Had to do Forcetame to be able to ride it.

Once I was able to ride it, time to test it out. It has a ground clawing attack and an aerial clawing attack. It can also pick up things (what it can carry we'll have to figure out).

You can also wield firearms on it's back. This makes it the first flyer that you can shoot from it's back AND fly at the same time. EPIC! (new way to down Quetzal's easily yessss)

I don't see any gender...which sadly means these guys cannot mate. How sad...

It's stats are pretty average, if not on the low side. I forcetamed an Argie and a Griffin at lvl 1 and the Argie had better numbers in EVERYTHING. In some spots like Weight and Stamina, the Griffin had only a little more than HALF of what the Argie had. The health is only a tiny bit lower than the Argie. Seems like it sucks doesn't it. But...where the Griffin felt awesome was it's flying.

So how fast is it? Pretty dang fast. Like it's probably as fast as a Ptera, if not more. But what makes it way speedier than a Ptera is it's divebombing maneuver. If you fly straight down, you pick up an INSANE amount of speed. If you hit the ground doing this, you damage things that are nearby. Landing RIGHT on a creatures didn't seem to work, it just kinda halted the griffin in it's tracks. If you divebomb and then swoop up to fly horizontally though, you keep the momentum. And dang can you go FAST when you do this. It's awesome.

I did notice that I took damage (the player) whenever I was divebombing (your screen turns all blurry and you hear a loud wooshing sound when divebombing). I don't know if this is intended for possible balancing it for PVP use, or if it's a bug. If it is balancing, I can see how that would keep players from spamming divebombs. But if it isn't a bug...well...

With this new flyer, I feel like the 'picking wars' in PVP might return though. I have yet to see if it can even grab enemy players, but if it can, and with it's swift default speed if flown correctly with the divebombs, this thing is going to dominate PVP engagements...something that I thought WC was trying to avoid with the flyer nerf being implemented. Personally, I love the beast as is, but I play PVE and love how it functions at present (minus getting hurt when divebombing). Thoughts?

Finally a flyer that you can use weapons from while mounted. Also I think it has no gender YET. Fingers crossed for beautiful griffin mutations. God someone should make a topic requesting griffin breeding 

From some YouTube gameplay I was watching, it doesn't seem to have a particular large range of creatures it can grab. Anthomnia tried a Direwolf and couldn't get it, so it may be able to pick up a little bit more than a Ptera (though Anthomnia could just have been missing, I don't know). The dive mechanic looks incredible, though. It seems to be an Argy-strength tame, but with a little more Damage and a lot more Speed. On the whole, I'd say it pretty well rocks

2 hours ago, Crows said:

I haven't flew one yet but from what I can see, they do look powerful and I'm liking what I'm reading here. Glad their turn radius isn't too good so that 'Picking Wars' doesn't fully return. I'm enjoying PvP at the moment. I guess the Griffin lands similar to a Wyvern? where it chooses a place to land as soon as you hit land?

Griffin's seem to love landing the moment they get near the ground. Probably a byproduct of their divebomd and slamming into the ground to do damage mechanic. Wyverns I think you need to hit space to make them land when near the ground like any flyer, but these guys do it automatically without a button press when you are riding them. So you can't ride them close to the ground or else they try to land every time they get close.

You are right in that it's turning radius in the air is somewhat wide and not tight. I saw someone on a youtube vid seeming to be able to 'strafe' in the air like the Tapejara can do, but I have yet to figure out how he did it.

1 hour ago, ShawnWolf said:

Finally a flyer that you can use weapons from while mounted. Also I think it has no gender YET. Fingers crossed for beautiful griffin mutations. God someone should make a topic requesting griffin breeding 

I want these guys to be able ot breed so bad too. I want mutation colors dang it! they don't seem that OP...a level 1 had even lower stats than an Argie (I dunno what its' base damage is, but it started at 58% and it took many hits to kill even a dilo with a high level one). I want griffin babies!

13 minutes ago, raaazboy said:

aren't griffins 1/2 reptile tho?

Half Eagle and half lion. So close? If you count birds as reptiles, which they arent' technically. But hey birds may have evolved from dino's so...

Also patch notes are showing Griffin's now can be ridden properly without a saddle. A saddle was never suppose to be how you rode it. One bug fixed. Now if only they could breed....

Archived