I learned a lot about ORP last night.

skeeta

Hey all. 

The situation - For reasons I won't go into here, for now I can't have any ground based structures on my official pve prim plus server so the only two dinos I have that an Argy can't carry are a lvl 216 Turtle and a lvl 225 Carno. My base is on a fang of the red obs and I have the Turtle in the woods just to the north on passive with the Carno following on aggressive. 

So, I switched my xbox on last night and let the game patch download while I had dinner. Once it was done I logged on and started to get my bearings with the new engrams. Within 60 seconds of logging on there was a message that my Turtle was killed by a lvl 85 alpha Raptor. 

Jumping on a bird I headed to where I'd left it but there was nothing there so,  climbing higher,  I scanned the area and saw the telltale red glow of in the distance. It was in battle with my Carno and before I could get there my Carno was dead too. It must have been a close battle because writing 5 seconds my Argy had killed it. 

The thing is, my Turtle and Carno were killed several hundred meters away from where the passive Turtle had been left. It would take me 30 to 60 seconds to run between their original parking spot and their eventual graves. From the whole experience I can deduce a couple of things. 

1. The alpha Raptor had been attacking my Turtle for a very long time. How many Raptor bites would it take for the knock back to move a Turtle that far? Thousands I'd say. So it appears that once a dino agros on an ORP protected tame it never loses agro. 

2. When ORP is active your tames can't be damaged or damage anything wild. The following Carno was on aggressive so would have been attacking the Raptor the whole time it was attacking the Turtle but caused no damage. 

Although I see the reasoning behind this I do think there has to be a better way to do it. The way it is now doesn't deter griefers at all. They can still kite a giga to your base, get it agro'd on your walls and just leave it there until you log on. I think it would be better if wild dinos couldn't even agro to tames or structures that had ORP active. Like they were invisible to them. 

Losing those two dinos isn't really the point of this thread. It's the system that allowed it to pan out the way it did that needs changing. 

15 minutes ago, drfudgems said:

Yeah I'll agree that it's not a very good system as it is, but you can't aggro something onto someone's walls. Unless of course the giga sees a dino you own in your base it really wants to eat. If you build right then you shouldn't have to worry about kiting, ORP or not. 

Believe me, I've watched a giga chew my base up trying to get to the kiter while he sat on my roof. With the new system all be has to do is initiate that agro then he can go home. Nothing will break the agro unless another wild dino attacks it and that isn't gonna happen methinks lol. 

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, skeeta said:

Believe me, I've watched a giga chew my base up trying to get to the kiter while he sat on my roof.

That simply doesn't happen anymore. Hasn't for well over a year now. 

A wild Dino can only damage your structures if it's agreed on your dinos. Not the kiter. 

6 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

That simply doesn't happen anymore. Hasn't for well over a year now. 

A wild Dino can only damage your structures if it's agreed on your dinos. Not the kiter. 

It had already eaten all my dinos. They were in my paddock. It munched its way through them then he caught its attention again and sat on my roof. There was no other living thing to agro on except my naked ass and I was standing behind him. 

Prim+ xbox pve eu server 19, right next to smugglers pass. I'm keeping the timers up on the ruins of my base for future rehabitation with luck. 

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, skeeta said:

It had already eaten all my dinos

My point exactly. Once a Giga aggros on your dinos, it's all over. 

Without haveing agroed on them first, it doesn't matter what a "kiter" does. 

For example. If I kite a Giga to a base with 4 high walls and no Dinos close enough to the walls for the giga to see and therefore agro onto then nothing happens. I can land on the top of the base and the Giga just runs up against the wall like a cnn reporter trying to impeach Trump. Useless. 

On the other hand, if I kite over a Giga to your base with 2 high walls and a nice tasty bronto standing there, it will see, and agro, and step over or eat the wall to get to the bronto. 

19 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

My point exactly. Once a Giga aggros on your dinos, it's all over. 

Without haveing agroed on them first, it doesn't matter what a "kiter" does. 

For example. If I kite a Giga to a base with 4 high walls and no Dinos close enough to the walls for the giga to see and therefore agro onto then nothing happens. I can land on the top of the base and the Giga just runs up against the wall like a cnn reporter trying to impeach Trump. Useless. 

On the other hand, if I kite over a Giga to your base with 2 high walls and a nice tasty bronto standing there, it will see, and agro, and step over or eat the wall to get to the bronto. 

That's very weird and kind of doesn't fit with what I saw but I'm not going to argue here. This thread is about the way the ORP works rather than the physics of kiting. I'd almost forgotten that lol

1 hour ago, Dracian said:

The walls are your best friend with ORP and without (on PvE server atleast). From my experiences if giga cant see/reach your dinos he wont do anything.

One thing I don't get. One of the wipes I endured was by an alpha rex destroying my behemoth gates and then killing my tames. How on earth did it see anything through a behemoth gate? It was my back gate too and all my tames were at the front. 

1 hour ago, skeeta said:

One thing I don't get. One of the wipes I endured was by an alpha rex destroying my behemoth gates and then killing my tames. How on earth did it see anything through a behemoth gate? It was my back gate too and all my tames were at the front. 

Thing is, it really doesnt matter how tall your wall is. Sure 4 high prevents instant vision, but once big creatures are close enough, they start no clipping through walls, wich not only allows them damage anything inside said walls, but it also gives them vision for creatures inside. That is what happened for you in alpha rex case, it got close enough gate, no clipped half of its body through and started chomping.  There really isnt a way counter griefers aside build your base like it is pvp. All metal 50 plant X around it, turrets everywhere. Even then, you might be capable fend off giga you because metal, but against titan you are defenceless. Point is the way game is build, there really isnt PvE... there is only pvp and gimped pvp. Wich makes you question why even PvE servers exist.

5 hours ago, Sofe said:

Thing is, it really doesnt matter how tall your wall is. Sure 4 high prevents instant vision, but once big creatures are close enough, they start no clipping through walls, wich not only allows them damage anything inside said walls, but it also gives them vision for creatures inside. That is what happened for you in alpha rex case, it got close enough gate, no clipped half of its body through and started chomping.  There really isnt a way counter griefers aside build your base like it is pvp. All metal 50 plant X around it, turrets everywhere. Even then, you might be capable fend off giga you because metal, but against titan you are defenceless. Point is the way game is build, there really isnt PvE... there is only pvp and gimped pvp. Wich makes you question why even PvE servers exist.

I'm nearly 100% sure wild Titans don't damage structures. I've tested it on both PVP and PVE, my structures and other people's abandoned ones

yea this is exactly what orp doesn't fix

it only opens a channel where you can have other tribes telling you there's something in your base and you shouldn't log in while they try to get it out

as the name suggest it's offline protection. no invulnerability as you come online.

a better way to manage these things is to have a message delivered somewhere off game where you can read and then find someone not in your tribe to help you deal with it before logging in.

18 hours ago, skeeta said:

Hea explianing how is supposed to work, not how it actual works in game. The mods are know to deter you from issues and explain that youre wrong.

19 hours ago, Sofe said:

I'm assembling the panels for some new walls at the moment. They're going to be 7 or 8 high, double layered with a foundation width between layers so that should stop the agro through clipping and the behemoth gates will be airlocked and act as a taming pen. I'll be crafting all the brick walls and ceilings before I start building and throw the walls up in one day. 

you need 10 wall high to stop titan (counting in terrain height difference)

double walls...not sure if that works. but what I got is walls and pillars. pillars are 1 foundation apart. could stop rex, giga, titan.

my walls are at least 10 high on the shallow and probably 29 high deepest (not building on flat land xD)

has been pretty effective in even trapping my wyverns from getting out when something brushes against the outer walls (yes outer walls. my walls are 3 to 4 foundations thick)

4 hours ago, skeeta said:

I'm assembling the panels for some new walls at the moment. They're going to be 7 or 8 high, double layered with a foundation width between layers so that should stop the agro through clipping and the behemoth gates will be airlocked and act as a taming pen. I'll be crafting all the brick walls and ceilings before I start building and throw the walls up in one day. 

other solution is build walls to prevent wanderers get in and store all your dinos and yourself into one big house and have 7-10 foundations distance between your house and all sides of the wall(i.e south,west,east north). It prevents creature vision even if those no-clip through walls. It is also effective against griefers, as even if they kite something towards your base, there is nothing for them aggro. Meaning whoever wants to kite stuff to you, must be really, really dedicated as they cant log off until you come online and step outside from your house. Build walls from metal, as then giga cant get pass it.

On 6/11/2017 at 1:28 AM, drfudgems said:

Yeah I'll agree that it's not a very good system as it is, but you can't aggro something onto someone's walls. Unless of course the giga sees a dino you own in your base it really wants to eat. If you build right then you shouldn't have to worry about kiting, ORP or not. 

Just parachute your player into an "enemy" base while having something large aggro'd on you...

• Volunteer Moderator

Yes, ORP need some overhauls for sure. That poor Jerboa is getting attacked for the past 2 days:

5DE73316D6CB37B6109ADE1AC047E60F66210E6F

Which brings another of my point. ORP dinos shouldn't get teleported to the bosses. Players (aka idiots) are parking their dinos on the obelisk pads and they get teleported into boss fights and we lose slots for real ones. There is nothing we can do except waiting those players (aka idiots) to connect and bring them back to their base, wait for them to expires after 8 days or waste tributes to get them teleported and killed by committing suicide once in the area. @Jat

On 6/12/2017 at 4:59 PM, invincibleqc said:

Yes, ORP need some overhauls for sure. That poor Jerboa is getting attacked for the past 2 days:

5DE73316D6CB37B6109ADE1AC047E60F66210E6F

Which brings another of my point. ORP dinos shouldn't get teleported to the bosses. Players (aka idiots) are parking their dinos on the obelisk pads and they get teleported into boss fights and we lose slots for real ones. There is nothing we can do except waiting those players (aka idiots) to connect and bring them back to their base, wait for them to expires after 8 days or waste tributes to get them teleported and killed by committing suicide once in the area. @Jat

. . . Couldn't this be exploited? Getting an ORP tame into an Arena to tank for you since its invincible? 

Archived