Fastest swimmer for deep sea lootcrates?

szabiferi

I'm doing regular lootcrate runs, and so far I was under the impression that the most effective way to do it is to use a speed levelled dolphin.

However, yesterday my teammate crawled on the ark wiki and found interesting data there.... like the Ichthy base speed is only 600 while the mosa is 1100, but even the fat plesio is faster (800) than the mosa... today I googled and found an old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymYnSfPrDKw what also conclued in the fact above.... i dont know if the changes since then affecting this - but may it happen with a speed leveled mosa/pleasio I can actually be faster than a speed levelled dolphin during my lootcrate runs? 

(not to mention the incredible safety difference)

Anyone have experience on this? Should I start to get a mosa and level it to speed? :)

47 minutes ago, PaleoJoe said:

Plesiosaur is the best way in my opinion. It is faster than a Mosasaur, and able to defend itself. You may often find a pair of Plesiosaurs or a tough Mosasaur around the drops, or even alphas or just a bunch of annoying Anglers. If you take an Icthyosaur then you have to be extra vigilant.

Yes, thats why I mentioned the additional safety. I'm playing on center, and basically every other lootcrate drop coordinate have a plesio spawn next to it. Normally I have no problems with them, as I'm already experienced in the "quick run in, jump off, pick up, swim away" with an Ichty, but if I could do it with the option to kill them :D I would go that way. 

I just wonder if the wiki is wrong, as you mentioned the pleasi might be faster.... just wonder how I could check out the base speed of them from the game files...

1 hour ago, BobRoss said:

Ever since i got gangbanged by 3 eels hiding in a rock i take my Basil for drops and ocean travel in general. I dont trust the ocean anymore...

Well... dont know it is by design or not, but even mosas and tusos are relatively safe against eels. Right now eels dont stun them with their electric attack, you just cannot attack for 10 sec after they are discharge themselves, from the tuso they dont even dismount you (I think it is the same with mosa, just not 100% sure). With a tuso you can easily kill the eels, the only danger they can stuck you if enter the tusos head... (you know, collision handling by WC). It is a bit tricky to escape when they bug your tuso, but I managed several times (turning around and smashing the attack button like hell). 

1 minute ago, szabiferi said:

Well... dont know it is by design or not, but even mosas and tusos are relatively safe against eels. Right now eels dont stun them with their electric attack, you just cannot attack for 10 sec after they are discharge themselves. With a tuso you can easily kill the eels, the only danger they can stuck you if enter the tusos head... (you know, collision handling by WC). 

Well, taming a basil is alot easier than a tuso :P I dont really like the Tusos much.

I would say either an Ichthy, Manta, or Mosa. Plesi is okay, but it burns Stamina way too fast in my opinion. By comparison, the Mosa (which has the same Stamina Consumption) can sprint twice as long, since it has twice the base Stamina, and it's all around more powerful than the Plesiosaur. It's also worth considering that the Sprint Speed difference between them is relatively negligible.

Manta is better than Ichthy, too, but it's an aggravating tame and you'd definitely want a high level of either to minimize your chances of death. For whichever, I'd not really worry that much about Movement Speed (you can always breed and get some imprinting, too, to boost MS without costing yourself any levels), but to level Health, Stamina, and some Weight. Both are very fast, and as long as you're paying attention to the area around you, risk of death is pretty low to begin with.

So, conclusion: Get the Mosa if you can. If not, go for the Manta or Ichthy. If you're concerned about survival and you can't manage a Mosa, go for the Basilo. It's slow but is pretty much the best survivor in the ocean as long as you don't go too deep. I don't really recommend the Plesi (poor Stamina usage, relative similar difficulty to a Mosa tame, hitbox issues, etc), the Tuso (difficulty of tame, zoomed-out screen while riding), or the Dunk (for obvious reasons). The Megalodon and Diplocaulus aren't really great either, but you can at least make a case for each of them (Megalodon has all-around OK stats but isn't stellar in any one area, and the Newt is decently quick and negates your need for a SCUBA tank).

20 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Well... dont know it is by design or not, but even mosas and tusos are relatively safe against eels. Right now eels dont stun them with their electric attack, you just cannot attack for 10 sec after they are discharge themselves, from the tuso they dont even dismount you (I think it is the same with mosa, just not 100% sure). With a tuso you can easily kill the eels, the only danger they can stuck you if enter the tusos head... (you know, collision handling by WC). It is a bit tricky to escape when they bug your tuso, but I managed several times (turning around and smashing the attack button like hell). 

lies, you never got dismounted from tusos, the danger was always that they go straight into the tusos head and you cant reach em anymore+ the tuso cant move, and eels mostdef still dismount you from mosas, nothing changed, still broken AF

Archived