Any way to counter eels ?

WolfeUK

Every time i die to these, they come out of know where, shock me, as they are normally 3 or more, im continuously shocked till im dead

I went to gather some pearls, i was really cautious, checked all around me, went to pick one of the pearls and bang hit by 3 eels, plus some angler fish and a couple of rays, where did they even come from, i literally just checked my surrounding like 2 seconds before hand ??
I cant defend myself to them at all, i literally go pearl hunting now with just a spear and flippers so i dont waste any more of my tools to these 

6 hours ago, WolfeUK said:

But the angler fish can collect 3 times more pearls than without it, shame, i just tamed one of these....lol

Reading about it Basil, you have to dismount to collect the pearls ? so isnt that really defeating the purpose ?

Assuming you don't have water mounts, the best way is to either collect them from the shores of the north (which has its own dangers) or what I like to do is swim to an area, then wait for a little. eels have crazy long aggro, but theyre slow. so by the time you get to the pearls, they may be on their way, and a cursory glance around isnt enough time. 

Keep in mind that they can bug through rocks right now, ive lost a lot of gear to that!

Later game when you have sea mounts (yes, you have to dismount all but angler to collect) my favored strategy to counter the little bastards is 2 fold:

-Angle my mount so that the eel pack has to come at me head on, then spam attacks. This may not work if your mount isnt strong enough to 1-shot or 2 shot them, my mosa is, but sometimes they slip through and get him anyways.

Should this happen...

-Swim straight up (always wear flippers!) and whistle follow/passive. the eels, 9/10 times, are more obsessed with your mount than you for just enough time for you to escape. Dont dally, the literal second you get dismounted press spacebar and start swimming up. When your mount wakes up, it has 5 seconds to scurry up to you, where you can whistle stop, remount and either go back to the first step or flee. 

This of course doesn't apply to the caves, youre pretty much doomed if you get shocked off in there. This seems to be the most fool-proof method, and has saved my mounts and myself more times than I can count, whereas before I'd attempt to blast them with a bow or try and get back on asap

I seriously cannot be the only one about to recommend this.....

go to Ark Wiki and see where they commonly spawn..... then.... (and this is the tricky part) DONT TAKE your pearl harvesting Angler to those parts....

PLENTY of pearls in the sea..... on a 4x gather server I collected 10k pearls in less than 5 minutes.

learn Ark mechanics.... then play accordingly

43 minutes ago, PoliScikosis said:

go to Ark Wiki and see where they commonly spawn..... then.... (and this is the tricky part) DONT TAKE your pearl harvesting Angler to those parts....

PLENTY of pearls in the sea..... on a 4x gather server I collected 10k pearls in less than 5 minutes.

Thats funny, im on the east coast where there shouldn't be any, so how can i learn Ark mechanics if they're not even right ?

But thanks to the others for their suggestions, im close to a orb and oasis so will check those areas out

48 minutes ago, Airthrow said:

Assuming you don't have water mounts, the best way is to either collect them from the shores of the north (which has its own dangers) or what I like to do is swim to an area, then wait for a little. eels have crazy long aggro, but theyre slow. so by the time you get to the pearls, they may be on their way, and a cursory glance around isnt enough time. 

Keep in mind that they can bug through rocks right now, ive lost a lot of gear to that!

Later game when you have sea mounts (yes, you have to dismount all but angler to collect) my favored strategy to counter the little bastards is 2 fold:

-Angle my mount so that the eel pack has to come at me head on, then spam attacks. This may not work if your mount isnt strong enough to 1-shot or 2 shot them, my mosa is, but sometimes they slip through and get him anyways.

Should this happen...

-Swim straight up (always wear flippers!) and whistle follow/passive. the eels, 9/10 times, are more obsessed with your mount than you for just enough time for you to escape. Dont dally, the literal second you get dismounted press spacebar and start swimming up. When your mount wakes up, it has 5 seconds to scurry up to you, where you can whistle stop, remount and either go back to the first step or flee. 

This of course doesn't apply to the caves, youre pretty much doomed if you get shocked off in there. This seems to be the most fool-proof method, and has saved my mounts and myself more times than I can count, whereas before I'd attempt to blast them with a bow or try and get back on asap

Personally I prefer to use my plesi in a similar manor. Just keep the eels coming at you head on and just attack as the get close. I've noticed that 9/10 times even if my attack misses them, they will discharge where the plesi head was during the attack. Almost always the discharge is outta range to hit me (it still happens from time to time). On the off chance things do go bad somehow, a plesi is more than fast enough to get away and a good one should have no problem tank a few hits from 3-4 eels if you do happen to die.

2 hours ago, PoliScikosis said:

Not sure if a troll post or not...but treating is as not

Eels do have set spawn locations, this is true. But they can, and do, move around. This wiki is also not correct in many cases, because it's made by users with anecdotal evidence. For example, I live in stonehenge, and those slippery devils spawn outside my gates almost daily. This area is marked unknown. Meanwhile the southwest and northwest are both marked as rare, but I (again, anecdotally) see them there constantly. 

Ironically the places I see them the least are the areas labeled uncommon on the wiki. 

Additionally, your point of knowing the mechanics are indeed correct, but incomplete. The mechanics also include the ability for the eels to move (as long as someone is in render distance) be kited around, and/or not spawn at all due to the ocean population limits. 

I may be misreading your tone, but I urge you to be more respectful to the OP and forum goers. 

59 minutes ago, Airthrow said:

I may be misreading your tone, but I urge you to be more respectful to the OP and forum goers. 

I agree with this more than anything. I see to often people being rude and disrespectful in these forums. Just because you are on the internet does mean you shouldn't be a decent person. I'm quoting this towards a large population and not just towards poli's comment. It's sad how people talk to one another when they know they probably will never meet in person. For the most part there is a great community here, just hope that it will remain instead of become a bunch of "trolls" and dbags. Love talking with you guys on here and seeing yall's point of view on topics. 

And as towards this topic you might think about being on a angler with a basil, equiped qith a saddle for armor, following you and send it in to the pearl area while you stay back and see if eels come out. If they do them whistle attack on the eels. Haven't tried it because I play on the center and get my pearls from in the river and under floating island. Hope if you try my idea it isn't a waist of your time. Good luck bud.

4 hours ago, PoliScikosis said:

Lol ark wiki... that thing is more often wrong than right. Especially with spawns. OP i suggest using spyglass at every few meters as you go, helped me a ton to avoid annoying things.

8 minutes ago, Sofe said:

Lol ark wiki... that thing is more often wrong than right. Especially with spawns. OP i suggest using spyglass at every few meters as you go, helped me a ton to avoid annoying things.

yes, it often is faulty. but the larger point I made stands. What I have done (until I learned where eeels (generally) dont go, is to clear the place with a basil first, then rush back with an angler. (the NW corner under then frozen shores is a great place for this due to large concentrations of pearls, and sparse spawns.)

I'd suggest a Basilo with 1 or 2 Anglers set on follow, everything on neutral. Travel and clear areas on the Basilo, then hop off to harvest with the anglers. Even if you miss an eel or two, the basilo on neutral should still be able to defend, and having 2 Anglers makes it harder for the Eels to keep both stun-locked.

Archived