Boss fight times are ridiculous

wallaby

We recently attempted the manticore on hard with 20 rex's and lost everything because the damn thing wouldnt land and kept phasing through our mob flying around the map like crazy wasting down the timer , i only lost 1 rex but the other guys lost all of there boss rexs thats weeks of raising in the dunny, i have to ask why in the hell is there a timer at all? why is that necessary? is it reasonable to say hey spend hours or weeks preparing for this but im only giving you 20 minutes to kill something thats pretty damn difficult and sometimes simply doesn't work... and whats with the EVERYTHING DIES on timeout holy jeez devs DILO  its like 'HA! not only did i give you an unreasonably short amount of time to succeed im now killing all ur dinos because damn u for attempting a boss':Jerbmad:.

what do u guys think, to little or to much time? do you think its appropriate that everything's lost? i know someone will say boss's r 2 ezy  and not punishing enough -_-

I wanted to see how difficult the manticore was going to be and so I went on singleplayer and spawned all the stuff in to do it. Took me 15 mins with a ascendent rocket launcher with 500+% damage. That was on easy. And after that went through it again on easy to see what kind of damage it did and to get rid of the spawned gear and it one shot me. Thats a little to much in my opinion. You should be able to take 3 hits and the 4th will kill you on foot. Makes it impossible for any singleplayer to take them on. I know that this is a multi-player based game but you should take into account the fact that not everyone wants to get on a server because of the douche bags the are on some of them. I would like to see the damgage and health of bosses to scale to the number of players and dinos that are in the fight

If the bosses were easypeezzy then every one in the game would have OP Tek gear. And balance in pvp would go right out the window. The bosses need to be hard enough to keep the alpha tribes from wanting to freely use element to do whatever. Right now element is reserved for mostly conflict with other alpha tribes. Imagine if the alphas had unlimited element because it was too easy. Servers would be decimated.

Just now, Canes said:

I wanted to see how difficult the manticore was going to be and so I went on singleplayer and spawned all the stuff in to do it. Took me 15 mins with a ascendent rocket launcher with 500+% damage. That was on easy. And after that went through it again on easy to see what kind of damage it did and to get rid of the spawned gear and it one shot me. Thats a little to much in my opinion. You should be able to take 3 hits and the 4th will kill you on foot. Makes it impossible for any singleplayer to take them on. I know that this is a multi-player based game but you should take into account the fact that not everyone wants to get on a server because of the douche bags the are on some of them. I would like to see the damgage and health of bosses to scale to the number of players and dinos that are in the fight

If you want it to be easier in singleplayer then make it easier. you can change the settings however you want them to be.

3 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

If you want it to be easier in singleplayer then make it easier. you can change the settings however you want them to be.

If you change the stats to fit the boss fight then you will have no fear outside of it. That takes the fun out of the vast majority of the game. I agree that the boss fights should be a challenge. That's why if it is scaled to the number of players and tamed dinos then the main game play won't become a land of pillows that have absolutely no effect on you. For small tribes on servers the boss battles become an unreachable dream. I've played on servers for a year and my small tribe never got close to the point of being able to. Just saying a little change would be nice for the casual gamers who play it.

pretty boss are already easy once you know how to do them like it would be nice if bosses didn't revolve around glitches ironical the glitch tactics are the only thing that make half the bosses feel like bosses without the carefully scripted abuse of WC boss ai the whole thing would be pretty dull either running around and shooting or charging dinos at them whats the fun in that i personally prefer a set of event that a player needs to respond to fight the boss and if they fail well they lose all there gear......... that said there is always an element of Ark RNG that can be just unfair....... as for sp pretty sure there already 60% easier on that not really worth testing them there could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

If the bosses were easypeezzy then every one in the game would have OP Tek gear. And balance in pvp would go right out the window. 

if 'everyone' had tek 'balance' would be an issue.... rrright because only the biggest should have the best whilst the rest scramble for cover thats kinda flawed logic man but not really my issue , the issue is the boss's sometimes do weird and buggy poop that wastes the timer and the consequence is pretty severe to someone who cant afford to lose a squad of there best tames.

2 minutes ago, wallaby said:

if 'everyone' had tek 'balance' would be an issue.... rrright because only the biggest should have the best whilst the rest scramble for cover thats kinda flawed logic man but not really my issue , the issue is the boss's sometimes do weird and buggy poop that wastes the timer and the consequence is pretty severe to someone who cant afford to lose a squad of there best tames.

imagine a griefer who has nothing better to do come into a server to just troll every single noob base with a tek rifle because he finds it easy to kill a boss. Every base that isn't at end game capability would be wiped multiple time a week. Griefers are already bad enough now with the way the transfer system works. No need to make it even easier for them.

2 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

imagine a griefer who has nothing better to do come into a server to just troll every single noob base with a tek rifle because he finds it easy to kill a boss. Every base that isn't at end game capability would be wiped multiple time a week. Griefers are already bad enough now with the way the transfer system works. No need to make it even easier for them.

thats ridiculous man nobody wastes tek on noobs when you can trash them with rex,wyverns,c4,golems,gigas etc people step all over smaller tribes because they are powerless, now you put tek gear in a small tribe maybe ur not so keen to step on them huh,  but thats not my point im not saying hey lets make boss's easy im saying the time is pretty obnoxious boss's should always be difficult but the timer is more threatening than the fight honestly.

The timer is the only thing that keeps them difficult. Killing a boss is easy, regardless of which one it is. The brood mother can get stuck in the trench and cant hit you, with out the timer a guy with a bow could slowly kill it. Dragon and brood can be glitched by rexes. Mega is easy since there are too many places to go that he can't get to. The only thing making them hard is the timer. The glitches with rexes will likely never be fixed, its a limitation of the meshes and engine. And if I had 100,000 element I'd use it to wreck small bases too. My wyvern can't hit a metal base and element is honestly easier to use to take out a base with a couple of auto's then it is to breed a turtle to tank them. And if that one guy has a tek rifle to defend himself it wouldn't make a difference when 10 dudes are running him down.

5 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

No comment on the reasonableness of the timers, but I'm pretty sure that the Manticore fight is meant for Wyverns, not Rexes...

we've done manticore over 13 times just whistling rexies. Tried wyvs a couple times and won twice before the manticore decided to spam poison and make them pass out :P  I find it stupid that the arena timer kills everything, should it be there? yes, should it kill you? no

1 hour ago, Flakz said:

Rexes are very (if not more than wyvs) effective at killing the manticore if it lands. u can pin it and simply eat away at it. 

yeah mate exactly we done this strategy many times but the last attempt on hard it glitchd out and just kept doing sick spins around the arena never landing causing us to lose everything to the timer it was pretty lame.

26 minutes ago, wallaby said:

yeah mate exactly we done this strategy many times but the last attempt on hard it glitchd out and just kept doing sick spins around the arena never landing causing us to lose everything to the timer it was pretty lame.

Maybe, just maybe, it's AI is better on, you know, hard, and it doesn't want to get glitched by Rexes and you have to actually fight it airborne instead of glitching it with Rexes?

• Volunteer Moderator
13 hours ago, wallaby said:

We recently attempted the manticore on hard with 20 rex's and lost everything because the damn thing wouldnt land and kept phasing through our mob flying around the map like crazy wasting down the timer , i only lost 1 rex but the other guys lost all of there boss rexs thats weeks of raising in the dunny, i have to ask why in the hell is there a timer at all? why is that necessary? is it reasonable to say hey spend hours or weeks preparing for this but im only giving you 20 minutes to kill something thats pretty damn difficult and sometimes simply doesn't work... and whats with the EVERYTHING DIES on timeout holy jeez devs DILO  its like 'HA! not only did i give you an unreasonably short amount of time to succeed im now killing all ur dinos because damn u for attempting a boss':Jerbmad:.

what do u guys think, to little or to much time? do you think its appropriate that everything's lost? i know someone will say boss's r 2 ezy  and not punishing enough -_-

My more pressing question is why did you bring nothing but rexes to a boss that spends a lot of time aloft in an arena that actually permits flyers?

Good point.

Nobody else poses those questions;

• Why does a boss fight have a timer? 
  • Why do you lose everything when the timer is over?
  • Why are some hard bosses insanely hard (on hard) to defeat without spending weeks, if not months on official servers raising and imprinting Rex's or cheesing it with fab pistols so that the boss doesn't actually hit anybody?
  • Why isn't there any solo/2/3-man content to slowly progress to Tek behind the big tribes?

Personally never understood the enrage timer since the bosses are so buggy. It's not World of Warcraft where you must pump enough damage into the boss before enrage, but I guess they were inspired by that...

I'm not a fan of the timer myself, but personally I've never ran out of time either. The bosses were difficult when they were first added, now they're pretty easy. Can just kill them in under 5 minutes. Losing your stuff though is okay though I think, it may feel cheap but its effectively you failing to kill the boss so you would have lost your stuff anyways.

Timer is fine for most bosses. But for alpha broodmother it is definitely not ok. It has an absurd amount of health yet has the smallest timer.

I would suggest letting players abort the fight by letting the timer run down, which would spit everyone out of the arena, and giving a sort of boss-only transfer cooldown to all the dinos that entered so you can't immediately try again.

3 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

My more pressing question is why did you bring nothing but rexes to a boss that spends a lot of time aloft in an arena that actually permits flyers?

because rex is a valid strat that has worked up until now? because flyers are nerfed to poop? because the ai on wyvern combat is useless meaning id need everyone to ride 1 and because they get KO pretty easy.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, wallaby said:

because rex is a valid strat that has worked up until now? because flyers are nerfed to poop? because the ai on wyvern combat is useless meaning id need everyone to ride 1 and because they get KO pretty easy.

If the manticore spent a good chunk of its time aloft out of the reach of your rexes tiny arms then it's kinda hard to say that going all rex erry rex is a 'valid strat'.

2 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

If the manticore spent a good chunk of its time aloft out of the reach of your rexes tiny arms then it's kinda hard to say that going all rex erry rex is a 'valid strat'.

done it many times this way but on this 1 occasion though he wouldnt come down , its not that he was just aloft he was bugging out and spinning around like crazy it was like the pathfinding got all messed up i very much doubt wyverns could have helped us on this one.

I see room for Wildcard to do another pass on the boss fights. Maybe make a small increase in timers on the Alpha bosses (again, small increase). I think that the timers are fine with the easy and medium. This is based off of my observation on a server using PC and not single player. I am aware that single player has a roughly 60% nerf on the bosses but not sure if the timer is different.

Each arena as well as boss tier has their own challenges. Yes, there are "techniques" that has been successful from using sacrificing animals to hold an agro for a player to lay waste in the arena to finding a location that the boss or its minions can not reach the player(s) so the player(s) can lay back and shoot the boss. What ever the player(s) method of facing off with a boss, things do still go wrong. [Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.]**

I like the fact that I have to put up or shut up for a chance to obtains the boss's goods. It's either I get the boss's stuff or the boss gets mine. A player must be willing to sacrifice their property if they lose. I understand that the game is buggy, especially the boss fights; and things happen. I also believe that the Alpha boss timers need another Dev pass. But until this game comes out as Ark Survival evolved 1.0 release, well, expect to lose a lot of invested time to bugs, glitches, etc. Also, expect to lose the same investment when trying to glitch an animal into another animal when possibly thinking that since it worked before, it must work every time. It's, ummm, glitchy.

Taking on a flying boss with only ground tames while depending on glitching animals to hold the boss gives Murphy's Law a lot of opportunity to appear. Yes, the glitching of an animal into the Boss to hold might have worked a couple of time but it only takes one that gets away for someone to blame WildCard when the glitch didn't work and all the tames are gone. Wildcard made a boss fight, not a glitch fight. Show up with the proper lineup and fight the Boss; earn the bounty.  

Have a great day.

**  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

4 hours ago, wallaby said:

done it many times this way but on this 1 occasion though he wouldnt come down , its not that he was just aloft he was bugging out and spinning around like crazy it was like the pathfinding got all messed up i very much doubt wyverns could have helped us on this one.

Might not have even been your guyses fault, they did patch most boss strats

Archived