• Announcements

• Jatheish

Note for players regarding Ascension (please open terminal/tribute before ascending)   02/04/18

With the latest server update on PC (v276.493), if you're going to attempt ascension, before doing so please make sure you've opened a supply crate/transmitter/obelisk/ basically anything terminal/tribute inventories. It's a temp workaround to characters being lost when ascending whilst we're investigating character issues further.
Jatheish

What creatures would you like to see on the ARK?

Well not about feathers or any of that crap. Its the body designs and proportions, they trigger me a bit.

I've also thought of apes when tamed, can learn to use any weapons, harvest specific materials, or to help with some other occupation. That would be game breaking, so you tame it by trust earning, by giving them tools. The better the tool, the trustier it feels. :)

Edited by SpecTimsauru5

On 10/24/2017 at 1:11 PM, DarkRaptor13 said:

The Acrocanthosaurus is a very nice idea but maybe it should work differently. I got inspired by your idea (it's a good one) but an other possibilty could be like this:

Acrocanthosaurus:

A big and powerful predator, smaller than the rex but bigger than Allosaurus. It hunts with "surprise" attack: It move slowly most of the time and is difficult to turn to the left/right because of his neural spines. So he waits between trees and when a prey comes it attacks with a fast sprint and powerful bite BUT only on a "direct line" without running to left or right. It's fast and powerful but with a very low capacity to change his direction when sprinting. 

WILD: They are powerful and fast predators, attacking medium size prey (Trike, Para). It has a very low ability to change direction so most of his attack are really fast as it has difficulty to follow a prey moving in different directions. 

TAMED: Tribes use Acro to make powerful surprise attack against enemies. It's important to be really effective when you set such kind of attack because it's very easy to flee from the Acro, because of his low capacity at changing directions. You should Zig Zag run. 

It's less complex than your idea, it makes it powerful and fast without being overpowered and give him a specific role, what do you think ? 

It's a good concept from a natural standpoint, but within the game I don't think this version would work very well just for the fact that you can't really hide something that big in this game which sucks really. Purlovia is about as big for a terrestrial ambush hunter as the game allows unfortunately. I mostly based my dossier draft on that it would historically throw down with Sauroposeidon and Astrodon thus the titan killer strangle ability. Thanks for your take on it though I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants Acro in the game it's one of the coolest Dinos imo

• Like 3

A parrot. Akin to a macaw in terms of shape and size; plenty of color variations to keep things interesting.

As a flying prey animal, it's utility could be simply that it flees from threats intelligently: like if you die with it on your shoulder, it won't just sit there and take hits from predators - it'll get somewhere safe the instant you ragdoll to the floor. Forget it's on your shoulder and try to go underwater? It'll 'nope' the hell right off and wait for you at the surface.

Combined with the weight reduction mechanic shown in things like jerboas, and parrots would make an excellent backpack companion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, WinterSpectre said:

It's a good concept from a natural standpoint, but within the game I don't think this version would work very well just for the fact that you can't really hide something that big in this game which sucks really. Purlovia is about as big for a terrestrial ambush hunter as the game allows unfortunately. I mostly based my dossier draft on that it would historically throw down with Sauroposeidon and Astrodon thus the titan killer strangle ability. Thanks for your take on it though I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants Acro in the game it's one of the coolest Dinos imo

It's a bit crazy but why not giving it a chameleon-like ability ? Maybe not as effective as the Rock Drake but some "Indominus" surprise attack could be a possibilty ? Some camo ability like a chameleon, a waiting position close to the floor (not a fierce and high standing position) and it could be enough ? 

It's hard to make it possible I know, but a surprise attack against player riding big Dinos could be possible. You can't see through trees when you're too high on a creature no ? It will make it a good Bronto hunter for example ! 

They already are some creatures that could hide despite being big: Deathworm (like the Purlovia), Rock Drake with his "invisibility" and Golems. So it stays possible I think. And it would be awesome ! 

Edited by DarkRaptor13
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Topherallen07 said:

Goliath Birdeater spider you can ride and climb walls trees and such, throws quills and venomous bite. Can maybe gather silk from it.

All those ability should better be given to a "reworked" Araneo, it looks more logic, doesn't it ? 

But a new giant, but slow,  spider that could build a huge and strong net with her silk to trap other creatures (flyers for example ?) would be great, so why not a goliath birdeater ? 

wild it would be a dangerous creatures, tamed it would be a useful one to tame flyers ? 

Edited by DarkRaptor13
  • Like 2

tame queen ants

a lot of smaller dinos on the map

small insects that you could kill for very small amount of meat all around the map

mosquito with the small insects that could give you swamp fever if stood long enough in

lots of species of fish 

small crustaceans on water floor and sea floor cant tamed but be killed

smaller birds that cant be tamed but be killed and they set up small brid nest around the map so you can get eggs

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

well my first choice would be Aurochs cows

reason - well we have sheep but cows are better animals as farm pets to the game

usefulness - they can harvest thatch out of berry bush and trees. collect berry.drag a cart like modern day cow does.

living environment - the grass lands and jungles would be good for them.

cow milk - could work as mutton to tame a think about it.

the aurochs lived around 2 mil yrs ago so it fits the dino category they would have the ability for weight and stamina they can be given some speed too.ability to pull a cart would be very nice.a passive tame maybe feeding them thatch .it would be fun.

this is a picture from the wiki..........

Long_horned_european_wild_ox.jpg

Edited by guppy
add a souse data
  • Like 6

Amphicyon would be a cool addition, but it wouldn’t add much to the game, unfortunately. 

Perhaps Ceratosaurus, but we really need a large herbivorous dinosaur other than the sauropods, as the Triceratops has been shrunk and the rex has been super sized, we really need a herbivore that looks comparable to the in-game, supersized rex. Again, other than the sauropods. Shantungosaurus/Edmontosaurus annectens would be cool, and could make for an excellent cargo hauler, since the Quetzal is painfully slow. I’d like for it to be like a Diplodocus, only slower, but with more weight and can actually do damage...

Some unique, unknown species would be nice too, for diversity. 

Livyatan melville would make for a great ocean-version of the Giganotosaurus, to make it superior to the Mosasaurus, it would have to be by nearly as large as the Giganotosaurus, maybe larger. The Mosasaurus is comparable in length to the Giga, but is much shorter, less stocky and overall possesses less mass, which, in animals is the main measurement of size in general. It would be cool as a temporary tame, or a permanent one for PvE. Perhaps let it be a good way of grinding materials, black pearls maybe? 

Edit: I don’t think new variations of Wyverns are a good idea, it would be hard to balance. The original three Wyverns also match the colour of the Obelisks and the lights in the Ark logo. 

A new type of Dragon would be nice though, maybe a serpentine-esque one with the ability to glide like the Rock Drake? Just let it breathe fire but have terrible health. Could make for a decent cave mount...

Edited by ShrekosaurusRex
Because reasons.
  • Like 4

how about making rock elemental's breedable.  imagine a egg similar in size to the giga egg. but three times as heavy. obsidian shell encrusted with rock and crystal with metal vains. the baby being the size of a standard 5-6ft high human. taking around 10days to raise. on sulphor, rock, crystal or obsidian. the food type determining how strong the adult golem would become once matured.

i know it is not a dino suggestion but can we get more tools/weapons to feel the gap between tek and primative. really show the survivors progression. a standard jet pack fueled by jet fuel. refined from a combination of gasoline, propellant, sulphor and the new gas.

how about a dino that allows you to dig into the ground and create your own underground lairs (as long as you can find a way to support the weight of the over world of course.)

• Facepalm 2

Killer whale:

It hunts in packs, has the same "smart ability" than the Hyaenodon. It lives in cold water. It's just a bit smaller than Megalodon. 

Wild: They attack prey the same way as Hyaenodon but are still more aggressive because they are higher on the food chain. A pack of Killer Whale can kill a Megalodon, Basilosaurus and even sometimes an injured Mosa.

Tamed: You can tame them the same way as Troodon, by giving them prey to "play with" and eat from the safety of the coast or raft. It's a fast but still powerful mount with a "team" boost when in group of,  at least, 3.

I know it's a modern creatures. But it totally deserves to be in the game. It's a beautiful creatures. And it's one of the smartest and deadliest creatures of the sea (It hunts other whale, kill GREAT WHITE sharks and sea leopard, has many strategy to hunt and kill prey) It looks like a peaceful "aquatic show" mammals but if you take a look on Youtube, wild Killer whale totally deserve their KILLER name.  

• Facepalm 2

On 10/25/2017 at 5:25 PM, DarkRaptor13 said:

Accurate ? We already have Rex, Trike, Pteranodon... maybe some reskin would be great or some new "ability" for old creatures that don't have "strategic" use for example. 

I understand people wanting a science-accurate game, but I remember that WC have said that Ark is mean to be a GAME and not totally science-accurate (Rex don't have feathers, the Yuti yes but not all Dinos). If you want an accurate dino simulation you better look for an other game (The Isle seems good and accurate) but Ark is mean to be a "fantasy" game, like some Ultimate Survival with Ultimate kind of creatures ( look at all those "hybrid" that combine multiple species ability like the Titanoboa) 

Bronthotherium would be awesome yes ! 

...While T. rex likely had a decent covering of feathers, there's no direct proof, while there is some evidence, there's no feather impressions from T. rex. If a game wants to use that as an argument, so be it. Its a debatable subject, not a definitive fact.

Either way, ARK isn't going to change their creatures to be more accurate, which kind of sucks, but isn't a game changer. I'd still play it either way...

Personally, I don't really want "skins" of dinosaurs to make them more accurate, personally, I'd prefer for an "accurate" option when creating a server (e.g. T. rex and Giganotosaurus are comparable in mass, which Spinosaurus slightly behind, no pronated hands, size changes, changing most of the models, etc). If its going to happen at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShrekosaurusRex said:

...While T. rex likely had a decent covering of feathers, there's no direct proof, while there is some evidence, there's no feather impressions from T. rex. If a game wants to use that as an argument, so be it. Its a debatable subject, not a definitive fact.

Either way, ARK isn't going to change their creatures to be more accurate, which kind of sucks, but isn't a game changer. I'd still play it either way...

Personally, I don't really want "skins" of dinosaurs to make them more accurate, personally, I'd prefer for an "accurate" option when creating a server (e.g. T. rex and Giganotosaurus are comparable in mass, which Spinosaurus slightly behind, no pronated hands, size changes, changing most of the models, etc). If its going to happen at all. 

It’s pretty widely believed that the spinosaurus was larger than both giganotosaurus and T. rex. My point being that no one knows exactly which was biggest especially with dinos like spino and giga because so few skeletons have been found there’s no definitive average size to go by.

Edited by Mwal
Accidentally sent before finishing
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DarkRaptor13 said:

Not sure, but I think we could have a new creature there. Looks similar to aberrant Para but it looks like his head has some kind of horn... Have you already see this ?

It would be great to have a new dino from the para family. 

_20171103_092953.JPG

To me, it looks like a bipedal canine creature of some sort, not a dinosaur. It doesn't look like the first mystery creature they dropped for Aberration, so I really don't know what it is. Maybe it's yet another creature that hasn't been revealed. They were saying about twelve new creatures to the DLC, but it's shaping up to be more like fifteen to sixteen to me.

• Like 1

If there is ever a dlc that introduces a water-world based map then I have an excellent idea for a premier stone (and maybe some metal) gatherer.

Introducing the Mantis Shrimp!!!

Mantis shrimp in real life are crustaceans of the order Stomatopoda. Species range in sizes from 3.9 to 18 inches. They are curious and intelligent creatures, (though unfortunately not intelligent enough to solve a rubiks cube ;)). Mantis shrimp have some of the most complex eyesight in the animal kingdom, having 16 types of color receptive  cones (versus 3 in humans). There are two varieties of Mantis Shrimp, spearers and smashers. Spearers hunt by spearing prey on their barbed claws while smashers take a more brutal approach. They use their specialized claws to punch and break open hard shelled prey items, delivering the force of a .22 caliber bullet. They also use their might punch to excavate burrows in solid rock (and break aquarium glass if they're big enough). Now that we know about real life Mantis Shrimp, let's talk about how this remarkable creature could be applied in game.

The Mantis Shrimp in Game would obviously be a fictional species of Mantis Shrimp genetically engineered to reach colossal sizes, about as tall as the giant mantis from Scorched Earth but with more bulk. These creatures would be aggressive if you get too close or touch them. Being as intelligent as they are, you would have to passive tame them by dragging the carcass of hard shelled prey items like trilobites or sea scorpions to them and approaching them from behind. Once tamed you can put a saddle on them and use them to harvest stone like a doedec. In a PVP application these creatures could deal small amounts of damage to stone structures and apply a small armor debuff on their victims (because they are literally smashing open their armor).

Image from http://www.lifeandnews.com/articles/mantis-shrimp-have-the-worlds-best-eyes-but-why/

Mantis-Shrimp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, bigfish502 said:

If there is ever a dlc that introduces a water-world based map then I have an excellent idea for a premier stone (and maybe some metal) gatherer.

Introducing the Mantis Shrimp!!!

Mantis shrimp in real life are crustaceans of the order Stomatopoda. Species range in sizes from 3.9 to 18 inches. They are curious and intelligent creatures, (though unfortunately not intelligent enough to solve a rubiks cube ;)). Mantis shrimp have some of the most complex eyesight in the animal kingdom, having 16 types of color receptive  cones (versus 3 in humans). There are two varieties of Mantis Shrimp, spearers and smashers. Spearers hunt by spearing prey on their barbed claws while smashers take a more brutal approach. They use their specialized claws to punch and break open hard shelled prey items, delivering the force of a .22 caliber bullet. They also use their might punch to excavate burrows in solid rock (and break aquarium glass if they're big enough). Now that we know about real life Mantis Shrimp, let's talk about how this remarkable creature could be applied in game.

The Mantis Shrimp in Game would obviously be a fictional species of Mantis Shrimp genetically engineered to reach colossal sizes, about as tall as the giant mantis from Scorched Earth but with more bulk. These creatures would be aggressive if you get too close or touch them. Being as intelligent as they are, you would have to passive tame them by dragging the carcass of hard shelled prey items like trilobites or sea scorpions to them and approaching them from behind. Once tamed you can put a saddle on them and use them to harvest stone like a doedec. In a PVP application these creatures could deal small amounts of damage to stone structures and apply a small armor debuff on their victims (because they are literally smashing open their armor).

Image from http://www.lifeandnews.com/articles/mantis-shrimp-have-the-worlds-best-eyes-but-why/

Mantis-Shrimp.jpg

sounds exactally like a dunkle

personally, I would like to see a flier streamlined for combat, not like the argent tho- *remembers that wyverns exist*

I want to see a creature that can collect items from dino inventories

We have Megalosaurus as a nocturnal dino, which is cool, but it's kind of weird to have just one dino as a night time predator.  Something that has floated around for a little while is having more than one nocturnal dino, but havning a few.  Troodon would make a perfect inclusion being as it's already in game, meaning it would nap during the day like Mega's do.  Add to that Trovosaurus, Surophaganax, and Dilong.  Dilong would be a fun alt to Dilo's since they both are comprable sizes.  Suro and Torvo would be great apex nighttime predators.  Turvo could stalk plains and Suro could stalk jungles and riversides.  They would add more to those who like to collect and breed.

Here's Turvo

image_1794_1-Torvosaurus-gurneyi.jpg

Edited by Mike8404
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1