First dino that scared the crap out of you

BipedTadpole

The longer I play, the more used to everything I get. I was thinking back to my early days before I even knew metal weapons were a thing and how much fun that part of the game is for me. I was trying to build up in the Footpaw on the Island. Minding my own business. Admiring brontos and trilobites and stabbing dilophosaurs in the face. Then out of nowhere a raptor appeared. The first one I had ever seen. It started eating my face and all I could see were teeth and scary things. My real-life heart was pounding and I had crazy adrenaline running through me. It was awesome. 

So what was the first dino that nearly made you poop your pants?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator

Dilo

first or second time spawning in--its night, i manage to get a torch made and im running along the beach picking up rocks, focused on the task at hand. i hear something close and look up.... the torchlight illuminates the friendly face of mr Dilo, who then of course in the most unassuming way, spits in my face and proceeds to eat it.

lovely night on the south beaches of the Island. kinda miss those..... 

played first time on the Xbox and I decided I would check out the swamp (gators are cool) was slogging through at night and needed to make a torch ran into the trees and quickly made one lit it and BAM i was face to face with a sarco. As I was a noob I panicked turn to run and was promptly eaten. That scared the tar out of me!

Funny sad story. 

First ever build, I got some players to show me the roots of what is good, what is bad, what is worse than bad dino wise.

Build on one of the rocks at the lake next to red obelisk, felt safe. Area was rather safe with most danger back then being raptors and a few carnos. Ended up taming my own duo of raptors (with meat nonetheless) and was exploring the woods close by to discover my neighborhood. 

I was also warned that dinosaurs with orange/red fire aura were ''Drop everything and run as fast as you can''. So one of those exploration tales I do, I see a beautiful, white, level 114 (when 120 was max) raptor. As I inch a bit closer my game renders the orange/red fire aura and I realize what is close to me. At this point, it is too late, it already smelled me and was heading for an easy kill. 

I manage to run away on my raptor with it following me very close by. I manage to go uphill and into the relative ''safety'' of my house, and somehow the alpha raptor followed me but thru the lake, so the fellas is stuck in water below my home, still agroed to me. The thing is, for 5 minutes I am in my small base with a pike in hand expecting it to come and my initial taught is fight it...I will die but I am home, so I can respawn. 

After something that felt like ages (but was more like 5 minutes) I see a message on the screen that I have received an Alpha Trophy Helmet (the ones you get from raptors). Ask in chat and people say : You must have killed an alpha. And I am like...what me, can't do that dude i'm like a total noob. 

I decide to go out and check...and there is see it, the dead white body of an alpha raptor in the late below my base...hurry up, loot, harvest for my first ever prime meat, cook in a cooking pot 2 times a piece, lose a bunch but still, it's prime meat. The loot had a JM xbow and some JM metal tools. Pretty amazing for my level. 

But then, the worse thing that could happen. Server update, in game warning. After update, the usual rollback happened. And my loot and my kill were no where to be found, nor was the alpha raptor. 

Was a sad day. But at least I found a way how to kill those fellas without even fighting them. 

Me, my GF and my buddies first time playing we built up a 5x5 thatch hut in a southern zone.  We didn't understand agro or what animals would attack, so we kept our distance from this one mid level trike.  During our 2nd night it came rumbling over next to our house.  We panicked.  Then he began to run into our thatch wall.  We couldn't tell if it was going to destroy our hut or not so we try to fight it with stone pick's and our fists.  We died multiple times and lost half of our hut.  We finally killed it...and then another spawned in so we packed up and left.

I feel like an old man when I say "back in my day" haha but I had a few. Dilos, Raptors, and Carnos. I'd avoid the latter two like the plague in my early days until I had a feasible mount or flyer.

I could only imagine those starting up ark not too long ago to encounter Troodons or Therizinosaurus as their first death haha 

Kapro. 

So I built my first raft. My daughter was driving it while I was hanging out in front. Saw a croc in the water, but did not have any fear because I was safe on the raft. Or so I thought....

Friggin kapro jumps out of the water onto the raft, grabs us both in its jaws, and takes us to the bottom of the ocean where it proceeds to eats us. 

Kapros still make me nervous - even today...lol

Definitely the Theri. I have been playing for two months now, so Theri's were already in game. I'm level 95 now and those things still scare me. Even though I have every thing necessary to kill them or tame them without issue, I am still hesitant.

That being said, however, the Redwood Forest will forever be a place of hesitation. I have lost a lot of good armor in there to the amazing jumping cat, Thylacoleo. I usually steer clear and barter for the things I might need out of there, like sap or honey.

Probably the Rex. I was riding my Carnotourus at one of the openings to the bowl area on the north of "The Island". I was looking into the black abyss, when I suddenly heard stomping...then yellow eyes appeared. It bit my Carno and I ran like Hell. I've never been more scared in Ark (it was almost a close tie between this, and my first Giga encounter). 

I can remember like it was yesterday.

2 Years ago (or in my case 4275 hours of gameplay ago), when we all (me and my friends) started this game, we been so hyped and amazed, we happily built our first bases, tamed our first dodos and parasaurs and had a happy life at the beach...

But then... one of the other players called out a giant shadow at the horizon, coming closer in our direction...

Turned out that its an argentavis, and DANG, WHAT A GIANT BIRD OMFG.

Ofc it instantly aggroed on us and we been scared like crazy and all shat our pants, panicking in global chat and getting our raptors ready for a suicide mission before that bird completely devastates the whole coastline...

But then one of the other guys had a brilliant idea: lets tame it!!!!
And he knocked it out, and every tribe near us helped collectiong meat to feed the argy.
Ofc. nobody was able to craft a saddle at that time, so after it tamed, the guy used it as following compagnion.

Ah the golden early days of this game, it was really a blast.

Archived