Sound Pass

BigDally

7 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

No problem, I hope they will add different walking sounds per material/texuture as we're reaching final version. Good sound design does miracles in the game. Can we imagine Battlefield 1 without feature we want now for ARK? I don't think so. It makes game way more believable and immersive.

As for on-ground-item meshes, I think they might come when game will be running as good as let's say Battlefield 1 on medium-end machines. But that's offtopic :)

I was using on-ground meshes as a somewhat relevant example as it was just removed from patch notes.

yes good sound design is a key part of creating immersion, things like star wars AT-AT walker sounds coming from bronto stepping on the beach are very immersion breaking. I'm just going back to my previous point, old footstep sounds were much better and didn't break the feeling of immersion at all. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ShawnWolf said:

I was using on-ground meshes as a somewhat relevant example as it was just removed from patch notes.

yes good sound design is a key part of creating immersion, things like star wars AT-AT walker sounds coming from bronto stepping on the beach are very immersion breaking. I'm just going back to my previous point, old footstep sounds were much better and didn't break the feeling of immersion at all. 

Allright.

That old walking sound was universal, not perfect for every animal, but acceptable.  What we can do now is to sit and see if they can do better.

28 minutes ago, Currahee said:

What'd I'd really love, is more sounds from animals further away and less sounds from things that aren't there. Birds chirping? Hate it, because there are no birds. I'd love to hear the roar of an unseen predator through the woods. 

• All sounds should travel further
  • Guns should be MUCH louder

If you make the guns louder to be more realistic, then you need to add ear protectors that can be worn in the game too to protect against hearing damage :D

7 minutes ago, wildbill said:

If you make the guns louder to be more realistic, then you need to add ear protectors that can be worn in the game too to protect against hearing damage :D

They don't need to be that loud. But in the middle of a battle the footsteps of dinos around me hide most the gunshots. Explosions, gunshots and thunder should literally be the loudest sounds in the game.

For awhile I really thought one of the engrams I'd unlock would be sunglasses ... but there were none :(

4 minutes ago, Isho said:

Wyvern's -  They sound like babies when leveling.

The swamp is now unbareable due to the constant frog noises, even when flying at high altitudes....

I'll have to ride through there tonight and give a listen. One of the things that gets on my nerves about a nice summer night is the unending cacophony of chirping horny mother nature. If it recreates that then it's pretty realistic xD

Quetzal: Sounds awesome, one thing is, it sounds like a ferocious creature. For me it would be better if changed its sound to a ''lighter'' version.

Argy: Sounds perfect ;)

Direwolf: Awesome too!! But i wish the howl was kinda louder.

Compy: Perfect :)

Scorpion: So far so good!

Carno: Better than the old one!

Raptor: This one should be change. It sounds too weird and quiet. For me, i think a better way to improve its sound would be making the raptor sound louder and longer.

Dilo: Whatever lol

Direbear: Awesome!

Giga: Really good! BUT I wish the roar had a ''heavier'' tone.

Rex: Stomping and biting are good. The roar tho... 

Pteranodon: Good!

Beetle: (i didnt even knew it had a sound lol)

Parasaur: Danger call is perfect, one thing is i wish it was a little bit longer. Still good tho.

Bronto: Sounds too weak. Would be better if the attack sounds were louder, extended and had a ''natural'' touch to it. Like how we see on movies!

--------------------------------------------------

Allosaur: Should change, roar isn't good, they sound ''desperate'' (LOL)

Paracer: Louder and stronger sound and better stomping sound.

Anky: All sounds should change to a smoother version.

Something would be awesome is adding dino ambient noises on the background

example: If you are near a forest you will hear loud dino sounds coming from the distance.

I actually love the bronto sounds now, sounds big, rumbly, and slow. The footsteps could be changed though. A lot of the dino footsteps could be changed actually...

The rex needs more bass or something to it's roar, it does not feel right or big and ferocious. And the bite/attack...please oh PLEASE change the biting/attack, it sounds so cartoony or something and not like what a big ferocious dino would sound like.

The Carno sounds cool but seems as if it should actually be the raptor sounds and the carno should be a bit deeper and grumbly.

Some sounds are kind of on the quiet side.

I love the sounds otherwise, great work!

4 hours ago, neocirus said:

special music for when your near babies?

Can we get drop folders for music to replace / add to the music that plays during certain situations on official servers?

As silly as it sounds most companies don't do that anymore due to copyright issues.  Companies that make music playing software have to pay for the privilege

I rather like the baby music idea though.  :).  

12 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

The old honking and the newest sounds made very odd mix that it's hard to listen to. For example we have screech/hiss and at the end of it old honking copied and pasted at the end. I'm aware fully animals make different sounds and I don't mind them if they're consistent with the rest.

That's actually what I was getting at.  To explain that a little better, I have a sneaking suspicion that whoever worked up the Quetzal sound bank had experience with geese is some fashion.  

I raised a wide variety of wild and domesticated animals as I was growing up, including a goose.  A plain old, farm yard white, ill tempered brute of a gooses.  In other words, quite typical.  That bird would change from soft "quacky" muttering to itself under it's breath, to a loud startled honking, to a reptilian hiss that dripped such malevolence it would make a Giga blush with envy... all within the span of a minute and for no apparent reason.  It was just how it was, and very quickly that strange mix of sounds became "normal" around our household for quite some time.  At the time that gooses stalwart and inseparable companion was a rather loud and aggressive banty rooster that had razor sharp spurs which it wasn't shy about using.

As you can imagine, we were "quite" popular with the neighbors.   I suppose it might have been different if we actually lived outside of town.  Ahhh well.

The point being, when I heard that occasional abrupt honking in the background of the Quetzals vocabulary it seemed completely familiar... because that's exactly what some big avians do. The hiss you get occasionally fits pretty well also.  So while to many you might think that mix of sounds is odd, to me it is perfectly familiar... and as I said before I suspect that it is also familiar to the person that put it together.

Forgive the detail, I just wanted you to understand that I wasn't arguing with you simply for the sake of argument... there actually was fairly sound justification for my opinion (pardon the pun).  :D

50 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

That's actually what I was getting at.  To explain that a little better, I have a sneaking suspicion that whoever worked up the Quetzal sound bank had experience with geese is some fashion.  

I raised a wide variety of wild and domesticated animals as I was growing up, including a goose.  A plain old, farm yard white, ill tempered brute of a gooses.  In other words, quite typical.  That bird would change from soft "quacky" muttering to itself under it's breath, to a loud startled honking, to a reptilian hiss that dripped such malevolence it would make a Giga blush with envy... all within the span of a minute and for no apparent reason.  It was just how it was, and very quickly that strange mix of sounds became "normal" around our household for quite some time.  At the time that gooses stalwart and inseparable companion was a rather loud and aggressive banty rooster that had razor sharp spurs which it wasn't shy about using.

As you can imagine, we were "quite" popular with the neighbors.   I suppose it might have been different if we actually lived outside of town.  Ahhh well.

The point being, when I heard that occasional abrupt honking in the background of the Quetzals vocabulary it seemed completely familiar... because that's exactly what some big avians do. The hiss you get occasionally fits pretty well also.  So while to many you might think that mix of sounds is odd, to me it is perfectly familiar... and as I said before I suspect that it is also familiar to the person that put it together.

Forgive the detail, I just wanted you to understand that I wasn't arguing with you simply for the sake of argument... there actually was fairly sound justification for my opinion (pardon the pun).  :D

And I explained what I meant by inconsistency as well. In case of avian you may be right, I haven't grown up with birds as pets, so I didn't hear them often enough to get use to variety of odd noise. Birds that live in my area have quite consistent sounds.

No problem ;)

Wow geeze I wasn't expecting my tiny thread to get merged into this one xD Awesome.

Gonna throw in a few more suggestions for dino's that I either forgot or never mentioned in post 1.

Spider: These guys are dang scary-sounding now. I love it!

Ithchyornis: I think these lovely birds are cool, but man do their idle gurgles make me think it's possessed by demons.

Human female: I notice when my female character is mining rocks (using a swinging hold item of any kind really), her grunts are really delayed. They don't sound out as she hits them, she grunts like half a second after you hear the pick hit the rock. Also will there be varying voice types we can pick at character creation at some point? That would be nice =)

Poop noises: Never did I think I would compliment someone on making poop noises sound 'good'....the Rex isn't' the only one who makes satisfying plopping turds it seems.

Basilosaur: Keep this as is!

Tapejara: Love it! Please don't change it!

Dung Beetle: Love these little guys skitters and mild hissing. Don't change.

I think that's about it. I think the only reason people spoke up lately regarding the sounds is in the beginning people just got use to them, and once some got changed, they now had something to compare, and people got more picky with which sounded better. Makes sense. Keep them coming!

i die a little everytime i use one of my gigas, the sound so bad, their roar was never as menacing as the creature suggests, but now its just a joke,  my cat makes more menacing noises than that.

also dunno if this is the correct thread for this, but is the new battle music final?, cause they are nice but lacking any urgency( you realize too late most of the time that you are in battle), and one of the songs sounds more like elevator-music from a Chinese restaurant :(,

all in all really nice themes aaand none of them are fit to be a combat theme, imho

9 hours ago, rawsh said:

i die a little everytime i use one of my gigas, the sound so bad, their roar was never as menacing as the creature suggests, but now its just a joke,  my cat makes more menacing noises than that.

also dunno if this is the correct thread for this, but is the new battle music final?, cause they are nice but lacking any urgency( you realize too late most of the time that you are in battle), and one of the songs sounds more like elevator-music from a Chinese restaurant :(,

all in all really nice themes aaand none of them are fit to be a combat theme, imho

It probably is final. But I love the new music so I don't complain. Might not sound as urgent as the looped old one we had (which actually is still in the game, just for Grassland areas only), but to me these are improvements. They fit their areas nicely in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Ulta said:

It probably is final. But I love the new music so I don't complain. Might not sound as urgent as the looped old one we had (which actually is still in the game, just for Grassland areas only), but to me these are improvements. They fit their areas nicely in my opinion.

dunno i switched them off now, if the theme doesnt warn me of battle its of no use, ;(

2 minutes ago, rawsh said:

dunno i switched them off now, if the theme doesnt warn me of battle its of no use, ;(

But it DOES warn of battle...the moment you hear it, whether dire sounding or not, STILL plays to tell you something is attacking...

But hey do as you wish. Playing ARK without music to signal something is attacking adds another level of hard to it I suppose. I'm keeping the music on, it's pretty to me.

a bit out of the blue but mantis's dont sound intelligent enough in the explorer notes theyre heavily implied to be of near human intelligence but they just sound like any other bug in the game might i suggest some sort of clicking noises?  like perhaps modify some dolphin and sperm whale noises to sound bug like maybe add in some slight chirping as well theyre the only creatures smart enough to use weapons provided you give them to them they should sound complex like theres alot going on behind that armored head and those basketball sized compound eyes.

1 hour ago, Havokpaintedwolf said:

a bit out of the blue but mantis's dont sound intelligent enough in the explorer notes theyre heavily implied to be of near human intelligence but they just sound like any other bug in the game might i suggest some sort of clicking noises?  like perhaps modify some dolphin and sperm whale noises to sound bug like maybe add in some slight chirping as well theyre the only creatures smart enough to use weapons provided you give them to them they should sound complex like theres alot going on behind that armored head and those basketball sized compound eyes.

So you're suggesting that they sound like they are talking to each other, because that sounds like it would be incredibly creepy and unsettling, which would be pretty damn neat. Just the thought of two large alien looking creatures conversing and having no clue what they're saying (or planning) is kind of terrifying.

Archived